Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » The Importance of Correct Theology (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: The Importance of Correct Theology
waynemlj
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fastforward:
waynemlj,
This type of argument here really doesn’t make sense to me. You don’t think that those you address are well versed on this subject, (at least they think they are)? I guarantee you that there has been a lot of practice bringing canned answers to the ready here at this site, (this is the reason for the impatience shown for this subject).

I am going to take a chance and look at your post for a moment, (even though we are treading on thin ice).

Will you agree that both systems are not without their respective problems?

fastforward

Hi fastforward,

Could you help me to understand what your question refers to?

I lost the background somewhere along the way.

waynemlj

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, Carol Swenson. You said to Michael Harrison
quote:
Hi Michael,

In your honest opinion, would you say that I have a speech impediment?

Dear Carol Swenson, it is hard to tell from typed answers whether you have a speech impediment.

But if you do have a speech impediment, I don't see how a speech impediment could prevent your fingers from typing to the LORD, that you should not be like Moses by the burning bush?

Hello, typing is a God-sent for someone who has a speech impediment, isn't it? [roll on floor]

love, eden

"and every knee shall bow to Him, including the knees of Christians", but if we kneel before Him now, then we will know how to kneel before Him then"

Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear fastforward, the best way to remain on the board if the members of this board interest you, is to avoid Topics that David Campbell thinks are harmful to the church, in his own opinion, as owner of this board.

Let the matter be a bitter book in your stomach if it has to, but please continue to share the wonderful things that you have learned in Christ Jesus of Nazareth.

with love, eden

fastforward
unregistered

David Campbell,
I would be glad to answer your question if you quit with the threats. But if not then what would be the use?

fastforward

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jiggyfly...

quote:
Originally posted by jiggyfly:
Amen Carol, Father is reconciling all, meaning everyone, to Himself through Christ. Which is why both Calvinism and Arminianism are both in error. They both teach an eternal damnation or Hell.

I didn't say that. Hell is real and eternal. This is not what that verse means. David doesn't want it debated, but I just want to clear up this misunderstanding about what you thought I said!
Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
really didn't suspect you would act like Jonah or the prodigal's brother but tis your forum and your rules and your facts. Good bye

Good bye.

[wave3]

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jiggyfly
Advanced Member
Member # 6972

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jiggyfly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
really didn't suspect you would act like Jonah or the prodigal's brother but tis your forum and your rules and your facts. Good bye
Posts: 23 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I used to believe eternal hell was fact too David. I won't argue about it but I challenge you to study it out for yourself referencing back to the original Greek text and not English translations. study the wGreek word aion and aionios. You might be surprised.

I have already studied it and you are not the first one to come to this message board with that false teaching. So don't bring it here.

Thank you,
David

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is this? Now hell is not real? What then is then meaning of Lazurus and the Great Gulf between where he was, and the redeemed? (Mercy.)
Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jiggyfly
Advanced Member
Member # 6972

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jiggyfly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to believe eternal hell was fact too David. I won't argue about it but I challenge you to study it out for yourself referencing back to the original Greek text and not English translations. study the wGreek word aion and aionios. You might be surprised.
Posts: 23 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

It would be nice if one of the calvinist would answer the question I have ask over and over.

Are you one of the elect?

Since we have decided to discuss this topic. I would like to be able to ask questions also.

KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

>>> If you find it distasteful to be one of God's robots there are a couple of facts I'd like to remind you of.

First of all no one that believes in freewill and not calvinism, would not be considered a robot.

Robots do as programed such as calvinism teaches that they do not have a choice. Therefore they are programed to do as told.

I follow the Lord Jesus Christ because I know what He has done for us and I love him and want to follow Him.

All are call to come to God not just calvinist. Many do not heed the call and let their hearts become hard. But they were called.

The elect answer the call because they receive the good news that Jesus Christ came and died so they might live.

KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

quote:
waynemlj,
This type of argument here really doesn’t make sense to me. You don’t think that those you address are well versed on this subject, (at least they think they are)? I guarantee you that there has been a lot of practice bringing canned answers to the ready here at this site, (this is the reason for the impatience shown for this subject).

I am going to take a chance and look at your post for a moment, (even though we are treading on thin ice).

fastforward

fastforward,

Before I ban you from this message board. I will tell you now if you continue to put people down on this message board you are going to be banned without any farther notice.

So be careful how you reply to this message.

If you don't like the company here I suggest you just leave.

Thank you,
David

KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

quote:
Amen Carol, Father is reconciling all, meaning everyone, to Himself through Christ. Which is why both Calvinism and Arminianism are both in error. They both teach an eternal damnation or Hell.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well that part is not in error. Hell is eternal! And this will not be debated on this message board. It is a fact. So don't even go there.

Studies show that over 90% of people in the world believe in a "heaven" while less than 50% believe in an eternal hell. According to the Bible, hell is most definitely real! The punishment of the wicked in hell is as never-ending as the bliss of the righteous in Heaven. The punishment of the wicked dead in hell is described throughout Scripture as "everlasting fire" (Matthew 25:41), "unquenchable fire" (Matthew 3:12), "shame and everlasting contempt" (Daniel 12:2), a place where "their worm does not die, and the fire is not quenched" (Mark 9:44-49), a place of "torments" and "flame" (Luke 16:23,24), "everlasting destruction" (2 Thessalonians 1:9), a place of torment with "fire and brimstone" where "the smoke of their torment ascends forever and ever" (Revelation 14:10,11), and a "lake of fire and brimstone" where the wicked are "tormented day and night forever and ever" (Revelation 20:10). Jesus Himself indicates that the punishment in hell itself is everlasting - not merely the smoke and flames (Matthew 25:46).

The wicked are forever subject to the fury and the wrath of God in hell. They consciously suffer shame and contempt and the assaults of an accusing conscience -- along with the fiery wrath of an offended deity -- for all of eternity. Even those in hell will acknowledge the perfect justice of God (Psalms 76:10). Those who are in the very real hell will know that their punishment is just and that they alone are to blame (Deuteronomy 32:3-5). Yes, hell is real. Yes, hell is a place of torment and punishment that lasts forever and ever, with no end! Praise God that through Jesus, we can escape this eternal fate (John 3:16,18,36).

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

fastforward
unregistered

waynemlj,

fastforward

waynemlj
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by becauseHElives:
Yahweh gives me the power to make a choice without a doubt this is a true statement...

but if then I am not at liberty to make a free will decision of acceptance or rejection of Salvation through the Atonement of Yeshua's Blood then Yahweh is just a tyrant forcing those He choices to become His robots.

Yahweh only desires those that choose to accept His gift because of love because He loved first and they want to obey His commands and live by His precepts because they love Him.

no duty or legal requirements just a free choice to love Him , love Him for all He has done.

Hi becauseHelives

I just happened to be going back over this thread and saw your statement which I'll paste here for easy reference to comment on:
"but if then I am not at liberty to make a free will decision of acceptance or rejection of Salvation through the Atonement of Yeshua's Blood then Yahweh is just a tyrant forcing those He choices to become His robots."

If you find it distasteful to be one of God's robots there are a couple of facts I'd like to remind you of.

1) Paul calls himself, happily, a "prisoner of Jesus Christ," Philemon 1:1 and in sundry other salutations in his epistles.

2)Think of the alternative: you were a slave to sin and Satan before you were saved.

3)Read through carefully Ephesians 2:1-10 and see the reality of the fallen nature we all inherited.
Dead men don't bring themselves to life so that they can "choose" God.

No one chooses God until the Holy Spirit rebirth's the spiritually dead soul so that it can receive the gift of faith, repent, and be saved. Romans 3:10-11, "None is righteous, no, not one;
no one understands;
no one seeks for God."

No, I don't think we are robots. I know that we have been set free to "belong" to God's family through the saving work of Jesus Christ on the cross . . . and that's forever and ever and ever...

I praise God for you and me and all who believe!

waynemlj

jiggyfly
Advanced Member
Member # 6972

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All this is from God, who reconciled us to Himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: that God was reconciling the world to Himself in Christ, not counting men’s sins against them. And He has committed to us the message of reconciliation. (2 Corinthians 5:18-19, NIV)
Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One scripture, One Christ: Can you translate that fafo? I didn't get some parts.

So, in the name of brotherly love, why would you want to tingle someone's hair? Do you desire to provoke (unless it is one's thoughts, or love)? Is that Christ? Are you Christ's? Does whatever it is matter? Are you a participant, or would you scatter? How are you fafo? Everything ok?

(Don't give place to the enemy.)

Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen David

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

quote:
The truth? We could just as easily discuss the “truth” of Armenianism-

The truth is that when some of us discuss Calvinism, immediately it is taken to the extreme (example-“preprogrammed robots”). So in all fairness we should be able to take Armenianism to the extreme for just a moment.

Taken to the extreme Armenianism becomes works based salvation which is no salvation.

(Am I sensing a little hair tingling on the backs of some of the readers after this last?)

fastforward

Not from me. First of all I am neither a Calvinist nor an Arminian. I am a follower of Jesus Christ. I know one thing for sure. You can be the ism you want to be, but if you don’t know Jesus Christ you are on your way to hell.

fastforward
unregistered

Sola Scriptura
Sola Gratia
Sola Fide
Sola Christus
Sola Deo Gloria

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 15 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yahweh gives me the power to make a choice without a doubt this is a true statement...

but if then I am not at liberty to make a free will decision of acceptance or rejection of Salvation through the Atonement of Yeshua's Blood then Yahweh is just a tyrant forcing those He choices to become His robots.

Yahweh only desires those that choose to accept His gift because of love because He loved first and they want to obey His commands and live by His precepts because they love Him.

no duty or legal requirements just a free choice to love Him , love Him for all He has done.

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fastforward
unregistered

The truth? We could just as easily discuss the “truth” of Armenianism-

The truth is that when some of us discuss Calvinism, immediately it is taken to the extreme (example-“preprogrammed robots”). So in all fairness we should be able to take Armenianism to the extreme for just a moment.

Taken to the extreme Armenianism becomes works based salvation which is no salvation.

(Am I sensing a little hair tingling on the backs of some of the readers after this last?)

fastforward

KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

No I did not say everyone was saved.

- - - - - - -

Here are some links for those that want to know the truth about calvinism:

http://heresies.landmarkbiblebaptist.net/calvinism.htm

http://www.biblelife.org/calvinism.htm

http://www.wayoflife.org/fbns/davehunt-calvinrefutation.html

waynemlj
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by oneinchrist:
Unrepentant hearts and unbelief are both more linked with our own rebellion and disobedience than anything else. If we were to say that repentance and faith are 100% hand-outs, then we would have to at least associate God with the cause for the sin of unbelief and rebellion of the lost, because God left them that way. That I am not willing to do.

Waynem, I respect your position, but do not agree with it. You hold to a particular theology that takes a small number of scriptures to back it up. Though I cannot dispute the scriptures you use, I can dispute the way that you view them and try to make a case. If I am accused of not believing in predestination, that is a false accusation. I believe in it.....but I question how some perceive it. To go as far as to say that man has absolutely nothing to do with his salvation I strongly oppose. I will also continue to believe that faith involves consent of the will otherwise we are just left with a mental assent to bible facts with no intent on acting on them.

For most of my life I was a believer, ever since I was a young child I was taught the 10 Commandments and all the fun bible stories up to Jesus. I believed in God. But it was'nt until 1995 that a bible believing man came into my life and I found myself to be a hypocrite. God's will for my life was not my concern and I had a passive attitude towards sin. I was in rebellion. I had never repented so I was an unrepentant believer......sounds like an oxymoron, but it is'nt. My believing was hypocritical because I had never come to God in sincere repentance for my rebellion to him. I was lost and never even had the spirit of God. By Gods grace He was patient and waited for me to realize that I was still in my sin and that I needed to repent. I thank him for bringing that bible-believing man into my life to help show me my real status. I was left with a decision to make: Repent, turn from my sin and position of rebellion to God and turn to God and His will for my life or just continue on living my same old life. To make a long story short I ended up repenting and then going to be baptized in the Name of the Lord Jesus and sometime afterwards the Holy Spirit began to be a more identifiable part of my life.

In conclusion, I see God as providing the way and waiting on a satisfactory response from us. When He is satisfied with our response then the Holy Spirit comes into our lives and helps us to transform into Christ-likeness. Then we would become born-again....not born-again first and then repentance and faith towards Christ.

Acts 5:32 And we are His witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him.

With love in Christ, Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Back to the computer.

I'll reply to your conlusion in order to save time here.
Your words I have pasted here:

"In conclusion, I see God as providing the way and waiting on a satisfactory response from us. When He is satisfied with our response then the Holy Spirit comes into our lives and helps us to transform into Christ-likeness. Then we would become born-again....not born-again first and then repentance and faith towards Christ.'

Your first sentence makes your salvation and mine dependent on our own power to choose to believe.
That makes it a salvation of works that you and I can boast about. That's not what the Bible reveals, at all.

Look carefully with me at Ephesians 2:1-10, "And you were dead in the trespasses and sins in which you once walked, following the course of the world, following the prince of the power of the air . . . and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind. But God, being rich in mercy . . . (8) For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast."

I see here in the above Scripture (please read all ten verses) that God does it all. You and I were running away from Him in the opposite direction to utter damnation for all eternity.

For reasons that you and I and the rest of the saved souls cannot understand or even should meddle with the attempt, God stopped us from destroying our precious souls and gave us a heart of flesh (Ezekiel 11:19) so that He could give us the gift of faith to believe in Jesus as our Savior.

We did Nothing! What we did After He gave us a regenerated heart by the Holy Spirit and the Gift of Faith is that we believed.
On our own, we were dead spiritually. How does a dead man bring himself to spiritual life? He's dead, remember.

Have I answered what you needed to know? If there's still more needed, let me know. I love to talk with you about God's Word.

Just think! We are destined to be sinless one day and to share in the Glory of Jesus Christ and the Father and Holy Spirit forever and ever and ever. . . !

Praise be to God!

waynemlj

oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneinchrist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jesus died for all sin, the difference is
that some peoples sin will be held against them and some peoples sin wont be.

There are some people that believe that since Jesus died for the sins of the world that everyone must be saved then......but I dont believe that anyone on this site thinks that way....that I know of.

Posts: 1389 | From: Wind Lake, WI | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fastforward
unregistered

David Campbell,
So you made it up.

fastforward

waynemlj
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by David Campbell:
quote:
Originally posted by waynemlj:
Hi Daniel,

According to your reply, I understood that you realize that you did not choose God, but that He chose you.

He gave you the gift of faith to believe the words of Jesus regarding the Gospel of Salvation.

I certainly agree with that truth.

I wonder, though, why you replied to this topic, since you didn't really discuss it.

waynemlj

waynemlj,

I guess what you are saying waynemlj is you are a calvinist and you believe in limited grace (only for the Elect) and we believe in
Armenianism- teaches temporary grace (for all for now), And there is an end to grace

Revelation 2:21 And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not
Romans 10:17 Faith comes from hearing God’s message
James 1:18 We are made his children by his word
1 Timothy 5:12 Some cast off their faith
1 Timothy 4:1 Some turn from their faith
2 Timothy 2:18 Some have their faith overthrown by others
Romans 10:9-10 With heart believes unto righteousness; with mouth confession is made unto salvation
1 John 1:9 If we repent he is just to forgive us our sins, and cleanse us from all unrighteousness
Luke 24:47 Repentance & Remission of sins is the message of the Gospel
Deuteronomy 30:15-19 God gives us a choice between life and death
Joshua 24:15 We choose who to serve
Romans 2:4(b) not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?
Romans 6:16 Choosing sin leads to death, choosing God leads life
Proverbs 1:29 Some hate wisdom and choose not to fear God
Ezekiel 18:4 & 19-20 God says the one who does right shall live, and the one who sins shall die
Ezekiel 18:25 & 29 God is not unfair about this
Ezekiel 18:17, 21-22, & 27 Those that turn from sin will live
Hebrews 9:11-12 By his blood our salvation is secured in heaven and nothing else, it was a more perfect sacrifice
Mark 13:13(b) but he that endureth to the end, the same shall be saved
Luke 6:46 And why call me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say
Luke 13:3, 5 Except you repent ye shall likewise perish
John 5:29 Those who have done good will rise to eternal life, and those who have continued in evil will rise to judgement
John 15:6-7 Jesus says that those who stay in him will inherit and those who don’t will be thrown into the fire
Romans 2:7-9 He will give eternal life to those who persist in doing what is good, seeking after the glory and honor and immortality
2 Corinthians 7:10 God uses sorrow to turn us back to him by repentance, but sorrow without repentance still leads to death
2 Corinthians 11:2-4 I fear somehow you will be led away just as Eve was
Philippians 2:12-16 Work out your own Salvation with fear and trembling, that I may have not laboured in vain
Colossians 2:6-7 As you accepted Christ you must continue to live in obedience to him letting him change you
1 Thessalonians 4:7-8 God called us to holiness, if you despise this then your rejecting God
1 Timothy 4:1 Some shall depart from the Faith, and now follow demons and doctrine of Devils
Hebrews 2:3 How shall we escape judgement if we neglect such a great salvation
Hebrews 3:12-13 Make sure that your hearts are not evil and unbelieving, turning away from the Living God, warn everyone so that no ones is deceived by sin and their heart is hardened against God
Hebrews 6:4-6 For it is impossible to restore repentance to those who knew the truth then rejected it, recrucifying Christ to the Cross
Hebrews 10:26-27 If we willfully sin after receiving the truth, there remains no more sacrifice for sins
Hebrews 12:17 Esau lost what could have been his, he cried bitterly for it, but it was too late for repentance
James 1:22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves
2 Peter 1:10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:
2 Peter 2:20-21 For someone who was saved then returns to the world, it would have been better to not have responded the first time
2 Peter 3:15-18 Don’t misunderstand the Grace Paul preached about, I don’t want you to lose your secure footing
1 John 3:7-9 You must do what is right if you have God in you, if you continue in sin you belong to the devil
Jude 4-7 False teachers say with Grace you can continue in sin, but let me warn you God didn’t spare the Angels already with him
Revelation 3:5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white rainment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life
Exodus 32:33 Whosoever hath sinned against me, him will I blot out of my book
Psalms 69:28 Let them be blotted out of the book of the living, and not be written with the righteous

Teaching that we have nothing to do with our salvation such as making the choice to follow Jesus reminds me of Mormonism, Catholicism, Jehovah Witnesses, & the other Cults these teachings reduce Gods plan for our Salvation. Turning us to a mere program or cold mechanism, drawing us away from a relationship with a loving God. This also causes people to have an atmosphere of superiority about them. Their unspoken message is, “We are better than you and God loves us more, because he chose us to give us special Revelation which is true Salvation” I sure don’t think this could be from the God of the Bible. Who is love, where Jesus said He died for our sins. He did not say he died for some peoples sins, but for all.

I do believe in predestination. Jesus Christ died for all making us all predestined for salvation. But if we do not take the free gift of salvation, then we change our destiny by rejecting the only one (Jesus Christ) that died so ALL can live.

Hi David,

All of the quotes you posted here are true. They are God's inerrant, holy Word to us. None of them prove that Christ came to this earth to die for all men, though.

Let me speak to the last section I pasted here for easy reference:
"I do believe in predestination. Jesus Christ died for all making us all predestined for salvation. But if we do not take the free gift of salvation, then we change our destiny by rejecting the only one (Jesus Christ) that died so ALL can live."

Your first sentence tells me that you believe in predestination. So do I.
However, I see a giant leap between that statement and your next one. You assume in your second sentence above that Christ died for all men. By doing that you redefine the meaning of predestination to prove what you want to prove.

The dictionary defines predestination (Theology) as the relegation of all souls to either salvation or damnation by this act.
Yes, God is sovereign and decides all things. You and I draw our next breath because He sovereignly ordains it.

The Father and the Son made a covenant we are told in John 17 and in sundry other places, including Romans 9:22-24,27, "What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory . . . (27)"And Isaiah cries out concerning Israel: Though the number of the sons of Israel be as the sand of the sea, only a remnant of them will be saved." The idea of a remnant for salvation is all through the Old Testament.

Here we see the idea of predestination to include those who are chosen to be damned as well as those who are chosen to be saved.

We humans like to focus on the love and mercy of God who sent His Son to save everyone. We are too slow to look straight at God's terrible hatred of sin which the Bible calls God's wrath!

Since Jesus came to give His life for His Church, which He says He will build "and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it," how can we possible conclude that ALL are included in His Church. That's simply not biblical as we see from the Scriptures I've included here.

If anyone still argues that He intended to die for all men, then that man's theology is in deep trouble. It would naturally lead him to the conclusion that Jesus failed in His mission and His glorious Incarnation, Holy Life, Suffering and Death and Resurrection were not good enough to save ALL men that He intended to save.

That's not a biblical conclusion at all.
John 10:28-29, "I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand."

I see in that Scripture the glorious assurance that He accomplished exactly what He was predestined to accomplish.

I thank Him evey day for "so great a salvation" which I know I certainly did not deserve.

It makes me want to tell everyone what Jesus has done for me and that He can do the same for them. I do not guarantee the results either way. God does as He determines in His righteousness!

Limited atonement means justification forever for those predestined by God's Sovereign knowledge and Justice and Mercy.

waynemlj

KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

I don't like playing games either.

Please answer my question.

>>>>> Are you one of the elect? <<<<<

A simple yes or no.

Seems you are the one playing games.

Calvinists = preprogrammed robots belief.

They teach you don't have a choice, no free will.

That makes one a robot.

fastforward
unregistered

David Campbell,
Your question is answered. Calvinists, Armenians, Roman Catholics, Jehovah’s Witnesses, and Mormons etc, etc as far as I know do not believe, nor do they teach that humans are preprogrammed robots.

So where do you get the preprogrammed robot terminology?

As far as your question about the “elect” is concerned, I offered to look it up with you in the old King James Bible but you said that I could not show you anything, remember. So if you don’t want me to show you anything then what exactly are you getting at, (maybe justification for your latest threat)?

If a person wants respect the easiest way to go about receiving some is by giving some. (But I don’t play games. If you want to continue this discussion you will have to stop with less than honest accusations concerning those that just may differ with you.)

fastforward

oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneinchrist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi fastfoward,
Thank you for the response. I had to go a few posts back to see how things began. I can see how tensions arise over some of these issues.
As far as calvinism and armenianism co-existing......I would disagree in the sense that these man-made doctrines cannot both be as truthful and accurate as the bible.
What I really believe in my heart that we need to do in order to establish a greater unity in the faith of Jesus Christ is to discover how it is that "seemingly" opposing scriptures co-exist without causing contadiction to the consistency of God's Word and Gods character.
We really need to be comparing scripure with scripture.....in the same way that the bereans did to affirm the truth of Christ as the prophecied messiah. For Ex: How is it for instance that scriptures like "By the grace of God are ye saved through faith, and that not of yourself; it is the gift of God......and.... "He that endures to the end shall be saved" both true?
I really believe that one of the biggest problems is that some people are just not willing to work/study together. I believe that we all need to remain teachable.

Instead of a calvinist vs. an armenian, a calvinist should take a scripture that he uses to support his opposing view and the armenian should take a scripture that he uses to support his opposing view and they both should study together(the hardest part to achieve) to see how it is that both scriptures can co-exist in harmony without contradicting the consistency of Gods truth or His character. We should flee the tendency to favor particular sciptures over other ones because of a particular interpretation that we like. In the end everyone is not going to agree on everything, but we all should at least agree to what Christ calls us to if we are to be one of His disciples.

Oh yes, and by the way, I do agree that "counting the cost" is likened unto "fine print" that is often overlooked or even purposely left out. We need to hear those things though......we need to know what to expect in the faith so that we are not easily overtaken in surprise when the trials come.
Press on my friend. Jesus is Lord.

Posts: 1389 | From: Wind Lake, WI | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

What is up fastforward? What do you believe, or who do you agree with here? I must've missed a post somewhere because i don't see the challenge that has been presented. Just curious on where you stand. You are not a cultist, i assume. What is your confidence on the salvation issue?
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

quote:
David Campbell,
Let’s see. And what question should I answer first? Mmmmmm.

Oh, I know, the silly one first-

That Calvinists or anyone else on the planet for that matter would think that people are preprogrammed robots. What serious, fair-minded person, persons, organizations or systems of thought teach that people are preprogrammed robots? If you want to be a debater, you are going to have to do better.

Could you give me any names of people; it doesn’t have to even be Calvinists, (in order to make it easier for you) that teach such of a thing.

fastforward

You did not answer my question. If you want to continue with your smart mouth then you WILL BE BANNED.

The questions:

Are you one of the elect?

fastforward
unregistered

David Campbell,
Let’s see. And what question should I answer first? Mmmmmm.

Oh, I know, the silly one first-

That Calvinists or anyone else on the planet for that matter would think that people are preprogrammed robots. What serious, fair-minded person, persons, organizations or systems of thought teach that people are preprogrammed robots? If you want to be a debater, you are going to have to do better.

Could you give me any names of people; it doesn’t have to even be Calvinists, (in order to make it easier for you) that teach such of a thing.

fastforward

KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

quote:
David Campbell,
Your questions will be answered even though they seem a bit litmus-ee. Oh by the way do all new comers receive such warm welcomes?

fastforward

No most people don't act the way you do.

As for the rest of the views you have about what I said is just your opinion. You just don't get the point.

It would be nice if you would answer at least one of the questions I ask. But I guess you just don't have the answer.

fastforward
unregistered

oneinchrist,
Sorry I didn’t get back to you sooner. To answer your greeting post to me maybe we should start with the “fine print” as you say-

Isn’t there a parable that points out the fact that if you are going to war, or build a building, you should first count the cost before you begin to see if you will be able to complete your task or not?

The fact is that the “sinner’s prayer” is being used today sort of like a magic charm. The target is supposed to repeat this incantation and then good things are going to happen. The poor target is not told anything. He/she has to learn it after the fact. Part of the reason for this type of scenario is our culture.

In the book “Pilgrim’s Progress” by John Bunyan the hero Christian has a companion who turns back because the going became rough. The town’s people consider this companion to be very foolish even though they allowed him back into the town.

But all this is not what you wish to know.

fastforward

WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by becauseHElives:
I agree Michael that is the correct answer but "once Saved Always " damnable doctrine teaches different.

any comment waynemlj

Once sealed always sealed till the day of redemption.

2Cor.1
[22] Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts.
Eph.1
[13] In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
Eph.4
[30] And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Hi Michael,
So how do you think the sanctification process will go if we are willfully disobedient to the will of God found in the teachings and commands of Jesus? Are we going to be growing in the truth? or will we be chastised?

I dont understand why anyone would think that our obedience would have absolutely nothing to do with sanctification by the spirit. Michael, even you have spoken of the need to surrender......so what do you call that, if it isnt obedience?

Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

I give up! Now I am compelled to learn about this Calvin, and this Arm thang.

quote:
Unconditional Election = Because man is dead in sin, he is unable to initiate response to God; therefore, in eternity past God elected certain people to salvation. Election and predestination are unconditional; they are not based on man’s response (Romans 8:29-30; 9:11; Ephesians 1:4-6,11-12).

Clearly, in what i see in my mind, and experience, it works like this. If God calls a man (this means election), and he doesn't receive it, it (opportunity) goes to the next man. This is why, for example, that it says "until the fullnes of the gentiles be in," so that God, in effect, fills His quota - perhaps! Maybe there is a set goal? I don't know. There is room for speculation in regard to certain passages in the word. But election does not (perhaps) mean a certain individual, in a certain place, at a certain time in history, will be the 'chosen' one who is 'elected' to the Kingdom. God doesn't 'dictate' it. I believe we have choice. But now, if you say that because He knows who will accept Him, that that is 'election', well, what can i say?

So i think that this agrees with you that limited atonement is quite incorrect! That's what i think.

Somewhere in the books, reference is made to the Spirit going to and fro in the earth searching for a heart that will acknowledge God. I am getting dull and cannot remember where until i read it again.

Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

quote:
Correct me if I am wrong....I assume that you see man as automatically sanctified by the "gift of faith". I, on the other hand see man as sanctified both by the holy spirit of God and through obedience to His word.

I don't see how you came to the conclusion indicated in the first statement of this quote. On the second part, how are you sanctified by what you do? How are you obedient to His word but through faith.

"And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin." (Rom 14:23)

....So we see here that faith sanctifieth before you eat (which is the doing part). Therefore, one is 'having' according to the work (which is the grace) of God.

fastforward
unregistered

David Campbell,
It sounds like I am teaching Calvinism because I asked you a couple of questions?

Now that is psychology in action! They have done studies where you play this word game by leaving certain letters out or even whole words out of sentences. And there is a group of people who automatically fill in the blank spaces. How is this group able to fill in the missing info? Whether the info that they fill in is correct or not does not matter, just that they have acted I find interesting.

I am not a psychology major or anything but I think they call this programming.

Let me tell you what I found interesting enough about your posting that led me to respond to it. It was not Calvinism or Armenianism per say. It was this-

“Teaching that we have nothing to do with our salvation such as making the choice to follow Jesus reminds me of Mormonism, Catholicism, Jehovah Witnesses, & the other Cults these teachings reduce Gods plan for our Salvation. Turning us to a mere program or cold mechanism, drawing us away from a relationship with a loving God. This also causes people to have an atmosphere of superiority about them. Their unspoken message is, “We are better than you and God loves us more, because he chose us to give us special Revelation which is true Salvation” I sure don’t think this could be from the God of the Bible. Who is love, where Jesus said He died for our sins. He did not say he died for some peoples sins, but for all.”

When in reality what these “cults” you speak of have in common and are totally dependent on is “works”. They have “works” salvation. And when that is pointed out it seems to bother you doesn’t it.

Your questions will be answered even though they seem a bit litmus-ee. Oh by the way do all new comers receive such warm welcomes?

fastforward

KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

You sound like you are sure teaching calvinism to me.

No I am not fearful. I don't like false preachers or teachers and yes I will say something about it.

If you intend to teach calvinism on this message board then no I would not suggest it.

To teach that Jesus did not die for the sins of the whole world but just for some is just plain wrong.

If you want to give your views then you are welcome to take it to the

www.religion-debate.com

board where you can post your view and debat them.

I will be glad to debat there also.

You can see what I think about it by going to:

http://thechristianbbs.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005455

I just posted there.

By the way are you going to answer my questions?

A question for you. Are you one of the elect?

Do you believe everyone has a choice or we are just preprogrammed robots?

Or do you believe the choice of who will go to heaven or who will not go to heaven has already been made in advance?

Thanks,
David

fastforward
unregistered

David Campbell,
Excuse me but you never read anywhere that I confess Calvinism. Maybe you are not used to someone discussing a topic without bringing their own personal agenda to the table. You brought up the subject not me. I was just considering it.

Usually, (but not always) people who become suddenly defensive are fearful of something. I don’t really care if we discuss Calvinism or not. But I will say that oneInChrist has ask me something about it. May I address that? And if your answer is yea then you let me know how far oneInChrist and I can go.

fastforward

KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

quote:
Originally posted by oneinchrist:
Hi fast foward,
Its nice to meet you. Im not all that versed on the differences between calvinism and arminanism, but I will tell you the difference that I see that seems drastic. Correct me if I am wrong, but does'nt calvinism teach that a man is born again and then he is is able to repent and believe?

So if I were a calvinist and I was witnessing to an unbeliever, I would'nt tell them what the apostles told the men who asked "What must I do to be saved?"...that is..... "Repent, be baptized in the Name of the Lord Jesus, and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost"......I am assuming as a calvinist that I would need to tell them that they need to be born again.....but then I would have to tell them about the fine print at the bottom that says it is only possible if God chooses you to be born again.

I guess I have to say if being an arminian means to preach what the bible teaches about what we need to do in order to be saved, I lean more towards arminian. Repent, be baptized in the Name of the Lord Jesus, and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Daniel.

Calvinist think they are the only ones that can be saved. For some reason they think they are chosen and others are just here to go to hell. Which in turn will make them believe they are better then other people. This just does not fit in with the context of the entire bible. My bible says Jesus died for all. I do not believe that Limited Atonement is correct. Jesus died for the sins of the whole world, not just for the sins of the elect. “And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world” (1 John 2:2). Other verses in opposition to limited atonement are John 1:29; 3:16; 1 Timothy 2:6.

My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if ANY man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the WHOLE world. ~ 1 John 2:1-2 (KJV) Notice: (ANY and WHOLE)

The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world. ~ John 1:29 (KJV)

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that WHOSOEVER believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. ~ John 3:16 (KJV) Notice: (WHOSOEVER)

For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; Who gave himself a ransom for ALL, to be testified in due time. ~ 1 Timothy 2:5-6 (KJV) Notice: (ALL)

Question: "What is Calvinism and is it Biblical? What are the five points of Calvinism?"

Answer: The five points of Calvinism can be summarized with the letters TULIP. T stands for total depravity, U for unconditional election, L for limited atonement, I for irresistible grace, P for perseverance of the saints. Here are the definitions and Scripture references Calvinists use to defend their beliefs. Total Depravity = as a result of Adam’s fall the entire human race is affected; all humanity is dead in trespasses and sins. Man is unable to save himself (Genesis 6:5; Jeremiah 17:9; Romans 3:10-18).

Unconditional Election = Because man is dead in sin, he is unable to initiate response to God; therefore, in eternity past God elected certain people to salvation. Election and predestination are unconditional; they are not based on man’s response (Romans 8:29-30; 9:11; Ephesians 1:4-6,11-12).

Limited Atonement = Because God determined that certain ones should be saved as a result of God’s unconditional election, He determined that Christ should die for the elect alone. All whom God has elected and Christ died for will be saved (Matthew 1:21; John 10:11; 17:9; Acts 20:28; Romans 8:32; Ephesians 5:25). Irresistible Grace = Those whom God elected and Christ died for, God draws to Himself through irresistible grace. God makes man willing to come to Him. When God calls, man responds (John 6:37,44; 10:16). Perseverance of the Saints = The precise ones God has elected and drawn to Himself through the Holy Spirit will persevere in faith. None whom God has elected will be lost; they are eternally secure (John 10:27-29; Romans 8:29-30; Ephesians 1:3-14).

I believe that Total Depravity, Unconditional Election, Irresistible Grace, and Perseverance of the Saints are Biblical doctrines. Man is definitely sinful and incapable of believing in God on his own. God elects people based on His will alone – it is not based on any merit in the person chosen. All those whom God has chosen will come to faith. All those who are truly born-again will persevere in their faith. However, I do not believe that Limited Atonement is correct. Jesus died for the sins of the whole world, not just for the sins of the elect. “And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world” (1 John 2:2). Other verses in opposition to limited atonement are John 1:29; 3:16; 1 Timothy 2:6.

-

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

quote:
David Campbell,
These cults that you mention all have one thing in common, works. Whether it is going around knocking on doors or attending the mass, their basic premise is works. This is not to discount the value of works, only to point out that the cults trust not in the finished work of Christ but on something that we can supposedly do for ourselves.

As far as the Scripture verses that you give, they are very good. But if you have given them as a rebuttal for Calvinism I can hardly see how these would qualify, (maybe there will be some further enlightenment). It should hardly come as any surprise that Calvinism and Armenianism coexist. Can you imagine a time when we humans were not given an opportunity to make a wrong choice? Counterfeiting is the oldest trick in the devil’s play book. Our job is to figure out which is which. And our responsibility is to follow the genuine, no matter what.

Did you know that there is only one elect? We can take a copy of the old King James Bible and look it up if you would like.

fastforward

fastforward,

No I don't need you to try and show me something that is not there. You are to take the word of God as a whole and not just parts.

I see you are a Calvinist. You are welcome on this board, but you are not welcome to push Calvinism on people or turn every topic in to a debate about Calvinism.

A question for you. Are you one of the elect?

Do you believe everyone has a choice or we are just preprogrammed robots?

Or do you believe the choice of who will go to heaven or who will not go to heaven has already been made in advance?

I believe God lets us make the choice and He does not make us decide either way. That is what the entire bible is all about. Pointing people to Jesus Christ and evangelizing the world. Tell people of the good news of the gosple of Jesus Christ.

If it has all been decided before hand, then I would not see a reason to evangelize anyone because it has already been decided.

oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Hi fast foward,
Its nice to meet you. Im not all that versed on the differences between calvinism and arminanism, but I will tell you the difference that I see that seems drastic. Correct me if I am wrong, but does'nt calvinism teach that a man is born again and then he is is able to repent and believe?

So if I were a calvinist and I was witnessing to an unbeliever, I would'nt tell them what the apostles told the men who asked "What must I do to be saved?"...that is..... "Repent, be baptized in the Name of the Lord Jesus, and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost"......I am assuming as a calvinist that I would need to tell them that they need to be born again.....but then I would have to tell them about the fine print at the bottom that says it is only possible if God chooses you to be born again.

I guess I have to say if being an arminian means to preach what the bible teaches about what we need to do in order to be saved, I lean more towards arminian. Repent, be baptized in the Name of the Lord Jesus, and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

fastforward
unregistered

David Campbell,
These cults that you mention all have one thing in common, works. Whether it is going around knocking on doors or attending the mass, their basic premise is works. This is not to discount the value of works, only to point out that the cults trust not in the finished work of Christ but on something that we can supposedly do for ourselves.

As far as the Scripture verses that you give, they are very good. But if you have given them as a rebuttal for Calvinism I can hardly see how these would qualify, (maybe there will be some further enlightenment). It should hardly come as any surprise that Calvinism and Armenianism coexist. Can you imagine a time when we humans were not given an opportunity to make a wrong choice? Counterfeiting is the oldest trick in the devil’s play book. Our job is to figure out which is which. And our responsibility is to follow the genuine, no matter what.

Did you know that there is only one elect? We can take a copy of the old King James Bible and look it up if you would like.

fastforward

KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

quote:
Originally posted by waynemlj:
Hi Daniel,

According to your reply, I understood that you realize that you did not choose God, but that He chose you.

He gave you the gift of faith to believe the words of Jesus regarding the Gospel of Salvation.

I certainly agree with that truth.

I wonder, though, why you replied to this topic, since you didn't really discuss it.

waynemlj

waynemlj,

I guess what you are saying waynemlj is you are a calvinist and you believe in limited grace (only for the Elect) and we believe in
Armenianism- teaches temporary grace (for all for now), And there is an end to grace

Revelation 2:21 And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not
Romans 10:17 Faith comes from hearing God’s message
James 1:18 We are made his children by his word
1 Timothy 5:12 Some cast off their faith
1 Timothy 4:1 Some turn from their faith
2 Timothy 2:18 Some have their faith overthrown by others
Romans 10:9-10 With heart believes unto righteousness; with mouth confession is made unto salvation
1 John 1:9 If we repent he is just to forgive us our sins, and cleanse us from all unrighteousness
Luke 24:47 Repentance & Remission of sins is the message of the Gospel
Deuteronomy 30:15-19 God gives us a choice between life and death
Joshua 24:15 We choose who to serve
Romans 2:4(b) not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?
Romans 6:16 Choosing sin leads to death, choosing God leads life
Proverbs 1:29 Some hate wisdom and choose not to fear God
Ezekiel 18:4 & 19-20 God says the one who does right shall live, and the one who sins shall die
Ezekiel 18:25 & 29 God is not unfair about this
Ezekiel 18:17, 21-22, & 27 Those that turn from sin will live
Hebrews 9:11-12 By his blood our salvation is secured in heaven and nothing else, it was a more perfect sacrifice
Mark 13:13(b) but he that endureth to the end, the same shall be saved
Luke 6:46 And why call me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say
Luke 13:3, 5 Except you repent ye shall likewise perish
John 5:29 Those who have done good will rise to eternal life, and those who have continued in evil will rise to judgement
John 15:6-7 Jesus says that those who stay in him will inherit and those who don’t will be thrown into the fire
Romans 2:7-9 He will give eternal life to those who persist in doing what is good, seeking after the glory and honor and immortality
2 Corinthians 7:10 God uses sorrow to turn us back to him by repentance, but sorrow without repentance still leads to death
2 Corinthians 11:2-4 I fear somehow you will be led away just as Eve was
Philippians 2:12-16 Work out your own Salvation with fear and trembling, that I may have not laboured in vain
Colossians 2:6-7 As you accepted Christ you must continue to live in obedience to him letting him change you
1 Thessalonians 4:7-8 God called us to holiness, if you despise this then your rejecting God
1 Timothy 4:1 Some shall depart from the Faith, and now follow demons and doctrine of Devils
Hebrews 2:3 How shall we escape judgement if we neglect such a great salvation
Hebrews 3:12-13 Make sure that your hearts are not evil and unbelieving, turning away from the Living God, warn everyone so that no ones is deceived by sin and their heart is hardened against God
Hebrews 6:4-6 For it is impossible to restore repentance to those who knew the truth then rejected it, recrucifying Christ to the Cross
Hebrews 10:26-27 If we willfully sin after receiving the truth, there remains no more sacrifice for sins
Hebrews 12:17 Esau lost what could have been his, he cried bitterly for it, but it was too late for repentance
James 1:22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves
2 Peter 1:10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:
2 Peter 2:20-21 For someone who was saved then returns to the world, it would have been better to not have responded the first time
2 Peter 3:15-18 Don’t misunderstand the Grace Paul preached about, I don’t want you to lose your secure footing
1 John 3:7-9 You must do what is right if you have God in you, if you continue in sin you belong to the devil
Jude 4-7 False teachers say with Grace you can continue in sin, but let me warn you God didn’t spare the Angels already with him
Revelation 3:5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white rainment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life
Exodus 32:33 Whosoever hath sinned against me, him will I blot out of my book
Psalms 69:28 Let them be blotted out of the book of the living, and not be written with the righteous

Teaching that we have nothing to do with our salvation such as making the choice to follow Jesus reminds me of Mormonism, Catholicism, Jehovah Witnesses, & the other Cults these teachings reduce Gods plan for our Salvation. Turning us to a mere program or cold mechanism, drawing us away from a relationship with a loving God. This also causes people to have an atmosphere of superiority about them. Their unspoken message is, “We are better than you and God loves us more, because he chose us to give us special Revelation which is true Salvation” I sure don’t think this could be from the God of the Bible. Who is love, where Jesus said He died for our sins. He did not say he died for some peoples sins, but for all.

I do believe in predestination. Jesus Christ died for all making us all predestined for salvation. But if we do not take the free gift of salvation, then we change our destiny by rejecting the only one (Jesus Christ) that died so ALL can live.

oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Hi Waynemlj,
Obviously you and I see some things in real different ways. I see God's word(holy spirit inspired and with its gospel message of love towards sinners) as plenty sufficient to cause conviction. I see man as having been given inherent faculties/cognative and reasoning skills wherewith in exposure to God's word he is able to realize his sin and is capable to make a personal decision to repent towards God and exercise faith towards Christ in baptism.

You see repentance and faith as "special abilities" and I see repentance towards God and faith in Jesus as required response/conditions for salvation.

Correct me if I am wrong....I assume that you see man as automatically sanctified by the "gift of faith" . I, on the other hand see man as sanctified both by the holy spirit of God and through obedience to His word.

Is'nt it amazing how we can see the world so differently when we have a different idea on how God exercises his sovereignty?

We are going to need to respect each others views if we are going to continue fellowshipping. I cannot refute the word of God on election......but I am more concerned with what someone is elected for. That way I have a way to examine my heart to see if I am in God's will.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement