Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » The Importance of Correct Theology (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: The Importance of Correct Theology
scythewieldor
unregistered

Icon 21 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear friends,
In other words, the Truth is something you do, not just something you know.
quote:
1 John 1:5 ¶ This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.
6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

The fellowship with God maintains the lighted walk. Notice that the cleansing of the blood of Jesus Christ, God's son, from all sin is synergistic with (if not consequential to) the lighted walk and fellowship with believers.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneinchrist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Waynemlj,
I would like to ask you a question that relates to something you said in your last post to me.....about the "gift of faith".......

How about the lost/unbelieving? are they one's who refuse to repent and believe, or are they one's to whom God does not desire to give the gift of repentance and the gift of faith? Your answer to this question will help me to understand your position better.

With love in Christ, Daniel

Posts: 1389 | From: Wind Lake, WI | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(I knew that the truth would come out about some of you internet police.)

Ok! When someone tries to nail down their theology, what they are doing is forming the boundries wherein they feel secure and comfortable. They fill those boundries with the likeminded with whom they can associate securely so that they can feel reinforced. But the life that is Christ is beyond theology because it is the life tht IS Christ. It is a faith/revelation thing. The denomination IS Christ. The understanding IS Christ. It is the life on the rock (not rocks, or sinking sand). Thereafter, every wind of doctrine (Eph4:14) becomes insignificant, for the person of whom their life consists, is established unto them in a unique way. Celebrate!

Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scythewieldor
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear friends,
Once, when I was a jailer, one of the inmates (which was there for abusing his wife, I think) wanted to discuss the sun-clad woman of The Revelation.
I told him that he needed to learn how to treat women that were in his own life more than he needed to know about the nuances of such prophetic imagery.
In fact, if a person is faithful in little, he will be given more.
What I am trying to say is that there are so many who want to engage audiences in subjects over which there is much argument just so they can sell a book that promises to clarify what they couldn't say clearly. Yet, they are disobedient concerning the "do-able" stuff of the New Testament.
For instance, Paul, inspired by the Holy Spirit, says, many times and in many ways, that all are supposed to work with their hands. Indeed, they are to make it their ambition to do that in such a way that they can help support the weak and not need contributions from others.
Being disobedient to that one ordinance is sufficient for separation from fellowship because he is nothing but a swindler trying to get paid to explain a God he does not know. He does not care to follow the example of the one that bought him.
So, if a theologian's "pract-ology" is not right, he ought to keep his theology to himself. Otherwise, he is just another of those Acts 20:30 kind of guys.

Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We get to choose, and that settles it. But, did we choose Him, or did He choose us? (See what i mean? Do we really choose, or were we chosen to choose?) But scripture says "Not that we loved Him, but that He loved us first." That would follow after nemlj's assertion. Yet, take nothing for granted, but fear.

Perhaps i am obnoxious, but it is important. I wouldn't assert myself so vigorously for a thin theology that doesn't reward according to His riches and glory!

Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The argument for 'correct theology' is the very reason why we have a burgeoning array of denominations, each of whom has 'the correct theology'.

Why try to figure something like that out? I dunno! But we do, and depending on how you look at it, two possibilities that represent different paths for different people, could both be right in God's economy. For ex. in the case of His dying for all, from our viewpoint, i have to hold that it is true. However, He knows all who will be saved; so from His viewpoint, only the elect represent those for whom He died.

I don't think that we are meant to figure this out until later. In the mean time, we can create denominational subdivisions for each one to choose, for, or against. In such case there would be at least three minimum: one for; one against; and one who doesn't understand, or care for that matter, who is happy to go along and praise Him for what they are able to grasp, while those opposing argue over it. Does it make any difference as to their eternal destiny?

Next! There is something that is 100 percent hand out. Not to discover it is mournful. Then, repentance is up to you, no? Yet, you can trust Him for your repentance. You can.

There is deep mystery, yet there is deep wonder. His glory is great, and He wants us to discover it. This is His heart.

waynemlj
unregistered

Hi Daniel,

According to your reply, I understood that you realize that you did not choose God, but that He chose you.

He gave you the gift of faith to believe the words of Jesus regarding the Gospel of Salvation.

I certainly agree with that truth.

I wonder, though, why you replied to this topic, since you didn't really discuss it.

waynemlj

oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneinchrist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Waynemlj,
I believe that the most reliable way to arrive at credible conclusions is to compare scripture to scripture. I do think that you would agree with that. When we have christians with opposing views we need to make sure that both sides are using scripture as thier check and balance. If someone chooses to use a private interpretation as their check and balance that is how man-made paradoxes are birthed. I have noticed though that there is a degree of difficulty at times when discussing things that pertain to the question of how God exercises His sovereignty. People just need to be patient with each other on those more difficult subjects. I think people on this site have managed well being able to express their thoughts without causing divisions in the unity of the faith.

When we can ,for example, as a body, see the importance of our obedience without having to argue about the "theological" importance of it in relation to salvation, then I believe that we are headed in the right direction. When we can take verses from out of scripture that seem to contradict and show how they dont contradict, I do believe we are moving in the right direction.
I believe one of the keys to unity in the faith of Jesus is the willingness to work together for the benefit of each other and a willingness to say "I think I was wrong about this or that"

Anyways, just so you know my position, I do not believe that repentance and faith are 100% hand-outs. I believe that man is responsible for his own repentance(which of course is not possible without the hearing of the word), and that faith not only involves assent to truth, but consent of the volition (will) to the assent of the truth. I believe that scripture shows repentance to be our responsiblity in that all men are commanded to repent, and I believe that scripture shows faith to involve consent of the will in that we must accept Jesus as Lord of our lives. I know that some people like to camp around two scriptures to prove that repentance is a gift and faith is a gift. I do agree that they are , but not in the sense that some see that they are. Repentance is granted in the sense that its exercise is permitted when the gospel message has been received. Faith is a gift because Jesus is a gift. Through faith = through Jesus. Paul was stressing that no man should be able to boast in himself....for God is the one who has paved the way....God is the One who has invented the faith.....not us.
Just wanted you to understand me better so you know where I come from in any future discussion.

With love in Christ, Daniel

Posts: 1389 | From: Wind Lake, WI | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scythewieldor
unregistered

Dear friend,
Concerning the question of those for whom Jesus died, the answer is "Jesus died for two nations one of which is already together. The other is being gathered.
quote:
John 11:49 And one of them, named Caiaphas, being the high priest that same year, said unto them, Ye know nothing at all,
50 Nor consider that it is expedient for us, that one man should die for the people, and that the whole nation perish not.
51 And this spake he not of himself: but being high priest that year, he prophesied that Jesus should die for that nation;
52 And not for that nation only, but that also he should gather together in one the children of God that were scattered abroad.
53 Then from that day forth they took counsel together for to put him to death.
54 Jesus therefore walked no more openly among the Jews; but went thence unto a country near to the wilderness, into a city called Ephraim, and there continued with his disciples.

John 3:16 says God loved the kosmos. As he gives Abraham's seed possession of the gates of their enemies, they will run the kosmos as men who are taught of the Lord. The abundant declarations of the agricultural benefits of that possession are amazing.
waynemlj
unregistered

I have spent several hours reading the Posts and Replies of many of my brothers and sisters in Christ on this very good Christian Message Board.

In doing so, I have been encouraged by the faith I see coming from the members.
I also see the importance to the joy of all those who believe unto salvation that we get our theology right.

Despite what you and I may think, the Truth of God's Word stands as a beacon of light. We must continue to dig deep into the Bible in order to get proper understanding.

Psalm 119:105, "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path."

Does it matter if everyone agrees that Jesus died only for the elect of God and not for ALL men?

I believe it does matter. It matters greatly.

Our joy is increased beyond measure in a thankful heart that knows that it deserved nothing from God but His terrible wrath and condemnation to eternal darkness and torment.

God wrote His Letter (the Bible) to us and commanded us to get understanding:

Proverbs 16:16, "How much better to get wisdom than gold!
To get understanding is to be chosen rather than silver."

Ephesians 1:17-19, "that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you a spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of him,
having the eyes of your hearts enlightened, that you may know what is the hope to which he has called you, what are the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints..."

I think that all of us who believe the Gospel take these words seriously and that's why I believe that the theology we all hold must be in accordance with the Truth of the Bible and not just our own feeling about the way we think things ought to be.

1) Therefore, I submit for your serious consideration that Universal Atonement (that Jesus died for all men) is an error, and is not found in the Bible.

2) Limited Atonement (Jesus dying only for the Elect of the Father) is the Truth from the Bible.
(John, Ch. 17 will supply ample proof. Other Scriptures that reveal this same truth are found in Jesus' words in Matthew 24:22,24,31 and in Mark 13:20,22,27 and in Romans 8:33 and in Romans 11:7
and in 2 Timothy 2:10 and in Titus 1:1.)

Jesus said in John 15:11, "These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full."

May the Truth of His joy be in all of us and may our joy be full!

waynemlj

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement