Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Exposing False Teaching   » THE SECRET RAPTURE - IS IT SCRIPTURAL? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: THE SECRET RAPTURE - IS IT SCRIPTURAL?
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was quoting from WildB's article. The blue frowny face indicates that I don't agree with that belief. WildB doesn't agree with it either.

I read something Paul Sadler wrote saying that he and Stam agree about most things, but not the Bride of Christ. They've had long discussions about it, and Sadler has searched the scriptures trying to see the Church as the Bride out of respect for his friend and associate, Stam, but this is one thing they just don't see eye-to-eye on.

The Church and Israel are separate IMHO. The Bride of Christ is the Church.

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Hale
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carol Swenson:
quote:
But who is the Bride of the Lamb? Thankfully, we do not have to rely upon our own human reasoning for an answer to this often asked question. The Scriptures are explicitly clear that the "Bride" is Israel.

How then can you not understand that the Church is Israel?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Faster than a speeding bullet.
More powerful than a locomotive.
Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound.

-

BigC On Post

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 9 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess Becausehelives is technically right.

There are worms in the Bereans.

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 6 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Na let it stand as a prof that no man knows all and that when one gets lazzy they just cant spam the board with sillyness, because BigC is on Post.

ThanX Big C for pointing that out.

You did that once before about this same man.

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 17 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
U think? or jest jesting?

Ok I coppy. This guy aint on my wave length.

Should I deleat?

--------------------
That is all.....

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
But who is the Bride of the Lamb? Thankfully, we do not have to rely upon our own human reasoning for an answer to this often asked question. The Scriptures are explicitly clear that the "Bride" is Israel.

WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 15 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Revelation 20

By Paul M. Sadler

"And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand. And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years" (Rev. 20:1,2).

With the Lord's help, we have arrived at the eleventh hour of God's dealings with mankind in our study. As the Apostle John stood on the threshold of the millennial reign of Christ, he saw an angel come down from heaven with the key to the bottomless pit, where Satan will be bound for one thousand years. The old serpent has a long and sordid history. Those he deceived through the ages remind us of Marley's response to Scrooge in the Dickens' classic, A Christmas Carol: "I wear the chain I forged in life...I made it link by link, and yard by yard; I girded it on of my own free will, and of my own free will I wore it." It has been said that "every soul that drops into hell at the end of life's journey goes there because of his own stubborn will, not because of God's will."

We do well to remember, it is God's desire for "all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth" (I Tim. 2:4). Peter says to his hearers, "The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance" (II Pet. 3:9).

In the beginning, as God prepared to call worlds into being, one of His first creative acts was the angelic host (Job 38:4-7). This was by divine design. In addition to serving as witnesses to His handiwork, the angels were created to worship the Master Architect of the universe. When Lucifer, who is said to have been perfect in wisdom and beauty, came forth from the hand of God, he originally led the angelic host in these proceedings. As the head Cherub, he was the highest ranking angel in God's host until by reason of his wisdom and beauty he became filled with pride and sinned against the Most High (Ezek. 28:12-19).

The result of Satan's fall precipitated a series of demotions, the first of which was being cast out of the third heaven into the second heaven, where he resides yet today with the fallen angelic host that followed him in the initial rebellion (Ezek. 28:14-16 cf. Eph. 2:2; 6:11,12). In the mid part of the coming Tribulation period Satan is cast out of the second heaven to the earth, where he will roam as a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour (I Pet. 5:8 cf. Rev. 12:7-12).

At the Second Coming of Christ, prior to the establishment of the millennial kingdom, an angel of the Lord casts Satan into the bottomless pit for one thousand years (Rev. 20:1-3). The final chapter of his reign of terror is foretold in Revelation 20:7-10 where we find that he is released from the bottomless pit after the millennium and goes forth to once again deceive the nations. Before the rebellion gains momentum, however, God rains down fire from heaven and brings Satan to ashes before the people as predicted by Ezekiel. The prophet writes:

"Therefore will I bring forth a fire from the midst of thee, it shall devour thee, and I will bring thee to ashes upon the earth in the sight of all them that behold thee. All they that know thee among the people shall be astonished at thee: thou shalt be a terror, and never shalt thou be any more" (Ezek. 28:18,19).

When Ezekiel says, "and never shalt thou be any more," he means that Satan will no longer be a terror any more, as the context bears out. Why? At the battle of Gog and Magog, Satan is cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where he will be tormented day and night forever and ever (Rev. 20:7-10).

THE BOTTOMLESS PIT IN RELATION TO THE KINGDOM AGE

"And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand. And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years, and cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more" (Rev. 20:1-3).

Although the Apostle John does not identify this particular angel, in all probability it will be Michael the Archangel who the prophet Daniel makes reference to in the context of the first resurrection, which immediately follows the binding of Satan (Dan. 12:1-3). Furthermore, it was Michael and his angels who cast Satan and his angels to earth 3½ years earlier. John records that the archangel is bearing the key to the bottomless pit and a great chain. This indicates that he has the authority to bind Satan and cast him into the bottomless pit. Before the nations can be freed from the control of the Devil, he must first be bound. As the Lord has said: "No man can enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he will first bind the strong man; and then he will spoil his house" (Mark 3:27).

For one thousand years Satan will be confined to the infernal region below, where a divine seal is placed upon him to insure he will no longer deceive the nations during this period. Seeing that it is God's purpose to remove the archenemy's evil influence from the world we can safely conclude that the fallen host will also be confined with Satan in the bottomless pit, or at least be neutralized in some way.

The location of the "bottomless pit" is clearly defined for us in the Word of God. The unseen world known as hades in the Scriptures has a region called the bottomless pit, which is the translation of the Greek word abyss. This is the "great gulf" spoken of in Luke 16:26. Vine states regarding the abyss: "It describes an immeasurable depth, the underworld, the lower regions, the abyss of Sheol [the Hebrew word/Greek hades]." In Luke 8:31 the abyss is translated deep. Here Vine adds, "The reference is to the lower regions as the abodes of demons out of which they can be let loose" (See Rev. 9:1-12).

The prophet Isaiah also speaks of the binding of Satan in the abyss during the millennium when he states: "Yet thou [Lucifer] shalt be brought down to hell [sheol/hades], to the sides of the pit" (See Isaiah 14:12-15). Once again, the reason Satan is bound during this period is to fulfill the plans and purposes of God. Since the fall God has placed man under different economies to demonstrate his utter failure. These economies are: innocence, conscience, human government, promise, law, and the present administration of grace. The designation we have given to the last dispensation, before the eternal state, is "divine government." God will overthrow the kingdoms of this world in the coming Tribulation and establish the kingdom of His dear Son (Rev. 11:15).

The millennial reign of Christ will be a theocracy—a government of God. "Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will raise unto David a righteous Branch, and a King shall reign and prosper, and shall execute judgment and justice in the earth" (Jer. 23:5). While the kingdom has been revealed since the foundation of the world, the Apostle John is the first to tell us that the duration of the "golden age" will be 1,000 years. In fact, he mentions this no less than six times in the space of seven passages here in Revelation chapter twenty. I should add that those who claim this 1,000 year period is not to be taken literally usually have failed to acknowledge Paul's apostleship and message.

During the kingdom age, God will place mankind under idyllic conditions. With Satan bound, the nations of the world will no longer be under his control. They will be unshackled from his deceptive powers for the first time in human history. While the United Nations has sought to bring peace to the earth since its inception in 1945, it has failed miserably and will continue to fail. This old world will never experience peace until the Prince of Peace returns to establish it. You see, "peace on earth" will be a product of His righteous reign. God will also partially lift the curse from the earth which will result in the eyes of the blind being opened and men having hundreds of years added to their life expectancy, as witnessed at the dawn of civilization (Gen. 5:27 cf. Zech. 8:4; Isa. 35:1-10; 65:20).

What will be mankind's response to such ideal conditions? We need not to look any further than the chapter under consideration.

THE FUTURE RESURRECTIONS ACCORDING TO PROPHECY

"And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the Word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

"But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection. Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years" (Rev. 20:4-6).

A worthwhile study of things to come is contingent upon a proper understanding of the Word, rightly divided. We must be extremely careful not to confuse the "secret resurrection" with the "first resurrection," as many are prone to do. The secret resurrection at the Rapture is the hope of the Church, the Body of Christ. This is uniquely a Pauline truth. If we momentarily lift the special revelation committed to the Apostle Paul out of the Word of God, all other references to the future resurrections pertain to the prophetic order.

Normally the first and second resurrections are mentioned together in prophecy, without reference to the period of time that separates these two great events. For example, the Lord stated during His earthly ministry:

"Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear His voice, And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation" (John 5:28,29).

Regardless of the respective dispensation they lived under, only the prophetic saints will be raised in the first resurrection and be ushered into the blessings of the kingdom. This resurrection is also called the resurrection of life and the resurrection of the just. Those who are partakers of this resurrection, especially the faithful in Israel, are promised to rule and reign with Christ as kings and priests of God (Dan. 7:22; Matt. 19:28; Rev. 1:6; 2:25-27; 20:4).

John lays special emphasis upon the martyrs of the Tribulation, who will be numbered in this resurrection as well. Unlike any other period in human history, the coming Tribulation will be characterized by beheadings too numerous to fathom. America was recently stunned by the brutal beheading of the American engineer in Saudi Arabia at the hands of Muslim extremists, but this is merely a sample of what lies ahead. Those who withstand the Anti-Christ and refuse to receive the mark of the beast will be the special objects of his indignation. Because these dear saints love not their lives even unto death, they will hold a special place of honor in the first resurrection.

Job asked the age-old question, "If a man die, shall he live again?" Yes!! God has given us His Word on the matter. The Greek word anastasis, or "resurrection," means to "stand up." Some day these old bodies that are lying in their "final" resting place will stand up at God's command. Some will be raised to everlasting life and others to everlasting condemnation. It matters not whether these bodies of humiliation are placed in the earth, buried at sea, or our ashes scattered to the wind—we live in a closed system—everything is being preserved! (Neh. 9:6). Which is a greater degree of difficulty, creating man from the dust of the earth in the beginning or raising man from the dust of the earth in the last day?

"But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished" (Rev. 20:5). This passage clearly states that there will be 1,000 years between the first and second resurrections. John is the only writer of Holy Scripture who makes this fact known. With this in mind, the unsaved of all ages are the subjects of the second resurrection. This resurrection is also called the resurrection of damnation and the resurrection of the unjust. The unbeliever will be fitted with a resurrected body in which he will continue to exist amid the eternal flame of the lake of fire (Rev. 20:15).

C. H. Spurgeon once addressed a group of unbelievers and said these soul-searching words:

"There is a real hell, as truly as you have a real body—a fire exactly like that which we have on this earth, except this: it will not consume you though it will torture you. You have seen asbestos lying amid the red hot coals, but not consumed. So your [resurrected] body will be prepared by God in such a way that it will burn forever without being consumed."

Unsaved friend, we plead with you before God to flee to the foot of the Cross where the precious blood of Christ was shed for you. Flee now before it's too late! God loves you and Christ personally died for your sins to keep you from going to this terrible place of torment. Mark these words and mark them well, if you continue in your stubborn rejection of the Savior your sins will send you to the lake of fire, with absolutely no hope of reprieve. Christ is the only one who can save you from an eternity of regrets. "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved" (Acts 16:31).

THE LAST CONFLICT

"And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison, And shall go out to deceive the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together to battle: the number of whom is as the sand of the sea. And they went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them" (Rev. 20:7-9).

With the separation of the wheat (believers) and tares (unbelievers) at the beginning of the millennium, there will be believers who enter into the kingdom in their natural bodies. The Scriptures are also clear that they will bear children. If you are wondering whether or not it is possible for those in natural bodies and resurrected bodies to coexist in the kingdom, you will find it helpful to read Luke 24:36-45. Needless to say, the offspring of those who enter into the kingdom will be responsible to trust Christ as their Savior. According to Zechariah, many will indeed respond to the gospel and be saved from among the nations. "And many nations shall be joined to the Lord in that day, and shall be my people: and I will dwell in the midst of thee" (Zech. 2:11).

The millennium will also produce a great multitude of unbelievers, the number of which, John says, will be like "the sand of the sea." The unregenerate of that period will reluctantly submit themselves to the righteous rule of Christ, but when given the opportunity they will show their true colors and rise up in rebellion against the very One who could save them. Thus when Satan is loosed from his prison in the unseen world after the millennium, he once again deceives the nations and leads them to perdition.

Robert Govett gives these insightful reasons for the binding and loosing of Satan in connection to the millennial reign of Christ: (1) "To demonstrate the foreknowledge of God who foretells the acts of men as well as His own acts." (2) "To demonstrate the incurable wickedness of Satan." (3) "To justify eternal punishment, that is, to show the unchanged character of wicked people [who reject Christ] even under divine jurisdiction for a long period."

The last great conflict of the ages will be led by Satan himself as he arrays the nations in battle against Christ and the beloved city of Jerusalem. How long, you ask, will the longsuffering of God forbear the sinful ways of mankind? The answer is found here in God's response to the nations' rebellion to the righteous reign of His dear Son. As the storm clouds of war begin to gather, the Father sends fire down from heaven which utterly obliterates His enemies in the sight of the saints.

Unlike the battle of Gog and Magog foretold by Ezekiel in which the enemies of God descend from the north before the millennium, in the conflict after the millennium the forces of evil come from every direction—"the four quarters of the earth." A comparison of Ezekiel 38,39 and Revelation 20 plainly shows that these are two entirely different battles, although Satan's object is the same, to destroy the people of God!

--------------------
That is all.....

WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 15 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Revelation 19

By Paul M. Sadler

"And a voice came out of the throne, saying, Praise our God, all ye His servants, and ye that fear Him, both small and great. And I heard as it were the voice of a great multitude, and as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of mighty thunderings, saying, Alleluia: for the Lord God omnipotent reigneth" (Rev. 19:5,6).

Throughout the Book of Revelation John interjects parenthetical sections to more fully develop critical events and turning points in the future Tribulation. Having paused for this purpose at the close of Chapter 16 to describe the fall of Babylon, we now resume the chronological order of the coming Apocalypse in Chapter 19. With Babylon brought to ashes, the evil reign of the Anti-Christ will end at Armageddon where he is destroyed with the brightness of Christ's coming (II Thes. 2:8).

A voice rings out in heaven, "Praise our God, all ye His servants, and ye that fear Him, both small and great." God has vanquished His foes, which paves the way for the millennial reign of Christ. Israel's day of deliverance from the hand of her enemies has now come, a day she has longed for since the time of her conception as a nation. Little wonder the bride prepares herself for the coming of the bridegroom. It will be a joyous occasion for those who possess this hope. As we have shared with you before, and reiterate here, we believe the Bride, the Lamb's wife, must be interpreted in accordance with prophecy.

THE BRIDE IN PROPHECY

"Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honor to Him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and His wife hath made herself ready. And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints" (Rev. 19:7,8).

In our quest to rightly divide the Word of truth certain "words" and "phrases" are closely identified with the Prophetic Program while others are associated with the Mystery. Interestingly, the "Bride of Christ" is an unscriptural phrase that is foreign to both programs of God. It is merely a theological expression that originated in the fertile mind of theologians to describe those who will be present at the marriage of the Lamb preceding the kingdom (Rev. 19:7-9). The correct phraseology used in prophecy is only found in the Apocalypse where one of the seven angels said to John: "Come hither, I will show thee the bride, the Lamb's wife" (Rev. 21:9).

The terms "bride," "Lamb," and "wife" in relation to the marriage of the Lamb are woven throughout the pages of prophecy. For example: "He that hath the bride is the bridegroom" (John 3:29 cf. Jer. 2:32). "Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world" (John 1:29 cf. Isa. 53:7). "For the marriage of the Lamb is come, and His wife hath made herself ready" (Rev. 19:7 cf. Isa. 54:4-7). In the Old Testament God graciously imparted the sacrificial system which foreshadowed the once-for-all sacrifice. Thus, Christ was the sinless, spotless Lamb of God who satisfied the righteous demands of the law. He was consistently portrayed as the innocent victim—a lamb being led to the slaughter (Lev. 4:32-35; Isa. 53:3-8).

But who is the Bride of the Lamb? Thankfully, we do not have to rely upon our own human reasoning for an answer to this often asked question. The Scriptures are explicitly clear that the "Bride" is Israel. When John the Baptist was asked why all men sought the Master, when John's ministry was fading in glory, he responded: "He that hath the bride is the bridegroom: but the friend of the bridegroom, which standeth and heareth him, rejoiceth greatly because of the bridegroom's voice: This my joy therefore is fulfilled. He must increase, but I must decrease" (John 3:29,30).

Working in reverse order, clearly the "friend of the bridegroom" is John the Baptist. John says that it was cause for rejoicing upon hearing the voice of the bridegroom. "This my [John the Baptist's] joy therefore is fulfilled." The "bridegroom" is none other than Christ, Himself. In the previous passage John stated that he was "Not the Christ, but that I am sent before Him" (3:28). He then confirms this by applying the illustration of the bridegroom. John was merely the forerunner to prepare the way for the Messiah. Hence, "He [Christ] must increase, but I [John] must decrease" (vs. 30).

Bearing in mind that the gospel according to John is a record of the earthly ministry of Christ, the "bride" is obviously Israel. John the Baptist plainly declares in this record: "And I knew Him not: but that He should be made manifest to Israel, therefore am I come baptizing with water" (John 1:31). Did not our Lord instruct His disciples to "Go not into the way of the Gentiles....But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel"? (Matt. 10:5,6). Did He not say concerning Himself at that time: "I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel"? (Matt. 15:24).

The above is further substantiated in the parable of the ten virgins (Matt. 25:1-13). Here we learn that only believing Israel will participate in the actual marriage of the Lamb. You will recall that there were five wise virgins and five foolish. When the bridegroom delayed his coming, the lamps of the unwise virgins ran out of oil as they slumbered. Therefore, the five foolish virgins, representative of the unsaved, were unprepared when the midnight cry came: "Behold, the bridegroom cometh!" While they went to purchase oil the Bridegroom came "And they [five saved virgins] that were ready went in with him to the marriage" (vs. 10). We should add, this portion teaches us that the marriage will take place when our Lord returns in His glory at the close of the Great Tribulation (vs. 13). This is confirmed by the Apostle John in our narrative here in Revelation:

"Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honor to Him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and His wife hath made herself ready. And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints" (Rev. 19:7,8).

In the context of the Second Coming of Christ, believing Israel is said to make herself ready. This is in keeping with the kingdom gospel. While we believe the kingdom saints were eternally secure, they did not enjoy the assurance of their salvation. Consequently, they were instructed to overcome, seek and ye shall find, endure to the end, etc. (Matt. 6:33; 24:13; I John 4,5). It should also be noted that John refers to Israel as the "wife" of the Lamb. But in what sense is Israel the "wife" of the Lamb if she is to be united to the Messiah in the holy bonds of matrimony?

The answer lies in the law of the betrothal (Deut. 22:23-25). In biblical times, when a man and woman came together before a Rabbi they were betrothed to one another. The betrothal was a binding agreement wherein the parties were actually classified husband and wife. Upon completion of the ceremony, the couple returned to their respective homes for one year. This period was to give the husband an opportunity to prepare a home for his bride-to-be, and it was also to ensure that the woman had been faithful and was not with child. Of course, it was during this time that Mary was found with child, before she and Joseph had come together in the intimacy of the marriage relationship (Matt. 1:18-25). In like manner, Christ has returned to heaven to prepare a place for His bride in the kingdom. As the Tribulation period runs its course, Israel will be observed to determine who among them have been faithful to the commands of Christ found in the kingdom gospel (John 14:1-3 cf. Luke 19:11-27).

It is imperative that we glean from all of these principal passages that the marriage of the Lamb will occur on the earth when Christ returns to set up His kingdom. Following the wedding, the Apostle John was instructed to write: "Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb" (Rev. 19:9). These guests are undoubtedly the kingdom Gentiles who will be invited to enjoy the blessings of the coming Golden Age (Matt. 25:31-46; Luke 14:15-24). Has God made a provision for the Gentiles in prophecy? Indeed He has, but they must come through Israel!

THE SECOND COMING OF CHRIST

"And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon Him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness He doth judge and make war" (Rev. 19:11).

The purpose of the first coming of Christ was to bring redemption to His people. Having accomplished this end, He will appear a second time to judge those who have rejected Him as the Redeemer. Christ is consistently presented as the Judge of the earth in the Book of Revelation. He conquered sin at His first appearing, but at His second appearing He will conquer His enemies. Thus, when heaven opens the Son of Man is seen riding a white horse. We established that the rider of the first white horse in the Apocalypse was the Anti-Christ who appeared at the beginning of the Tribulation (Rev. 6:1,2). As the Tribulation draws to a conclusion, there is no question whatsoever that the second rider John saw was Christ, who is called Faithful and True.

Historically, the Church has found itself entangled in a web of confusion on the subject of His comings. This is largely due to its failure to rightly divide the Scriptures. For centuries only the Second Coming of Christ was held out as the hope of the believer. It was not until the recovery of Paul's gospel that dawn broke on the Secret Coming of Christ, commonly known as the Rapture. The Rapture and the Second Coming of Christ are two distinct events that are separated by a period of seven years. The Second Coming of Christ concerns the Lord's return to the earth, which has been the theme of prophecy since the world began. This is the promise that both Peter and John held out to their countrymen (II Pet. 3:3-9 cf. Rev. 1:7).

"And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and He that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness He doth judge and make war...And the armies which were in heaven followed Him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean" (Rev. 19:11,14).

The believers at that day who survive until the end of the Great Tribulation will be able to narrow down the time of Christ's appearing to within weeks. This will be accomplished by calculating Daniel's seventieth week and the appearance of signs and wonders at the close of this period. Those who are living at that time are to look up for their redemption will be drawing near (Luke 21:25-28).

The Second Coming of Christ is a well-documented event in the pages of prophecy. Immediately after the sign of the Son of Man, heaven will open and the rider of the white horse will appear on the eastern horizon. "For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of Man be" (Matt. 24:27). A flash of lightning is sudden and normally illuminates the backdrop of darkened skies. It is obvious that a storm is approaching, which will certainly be the case as Christ enters Jerusalem from the east and stands on the Mount of Olives. This is where the Lord will do battle with His enemies, like a mighty man of war.

Christ will be accompanied by the armies of heaven according to John who are said to be "clothed in fine linen, white and clean." We are to understand that these are the prophetic saints who have had their sins washed in the blood of the Lamb (Rev. 1:5; 7:14; 19:7,8). Enoch, who was the seventh from Adam, prophesied of this same event, which means that the members of the Body are not numbered with this great host, seeing that the truth of the one Body was a secret at the time (Jude 14). These disembodied saints are returning with Christ here to partake in the first resurrection, which is their hope (Job 19:25,26; John 5:26-29; Rev. 20:5,6). We will have more to say on the future resurrections next month.

Unlike the Rapture, the Second Coming of Christ is a visible return—every eye shall see Him and the inhabitants of the earth will mourn because of Him. The Apostle John adds, "and they also which pierced Him" (Matt. 24:30 cf. Rev. 1:7). As we know, Christ came to His own and His own received Him not; instead they demanded His crucifixion. When Pilate sought to release Him, the Governor said: "I am innocent of the blood of this just person: see ye to it. Then answered all the people, and said, His blood be on us, and on our children" (Matt. 27:24,25). Israel bears the ultimate responsibility for crucifying her own Messiah. In the future day of the Lord when those who "pierced Him" look up and see Christ coming in power and great glory their hearts will fail within them (Luke 21:26,27).

Based upon Luke's account in Acts, the Lord's ascension is a commentary on the Second Advent. "While they beheld, He was taken up...And while they looked steadfastly toward heaven as He went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel; which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? This same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen Him go into heaven" (Acts 1:9-11).

There are three things that we need to note in this passage regarding the Lord's ascension. First, there were angels attending in the form of two men who stood by the disciples in white apparel. In like manner, angels will be present at the Second Coming of Christ. They will gather the children of God from the four winds of heaven and earth (Matt. 24:31 cf. Mark 13:27). Second, the disciples stood there in amazement as they watched the Lord ascend into heaven. Just as the disciples saw Him visibly taken up before their very eyes, Christ will return in like manner. Thirdly, the Lord was standing on the Mount of Olives at the time, which according to the word of the prophet is the exact place where the sole of His foot will rest when He returns to the earth (Zech. 14:3,4 cf. Acts 1:9-12).

Once again, uncharacteristic of the Rapture, the Second Coming of Christ is a prophesied event foretold by the prophet (Dan. 2:45). It is inseparably identified with signs, times, and seasons.

Signs: In addition to the sign of the Son of Man, there will be signs in heaven above and earth beneath (Matt. 24:29,30 cf. Acts 2:19,20).

Times: The event will probably take place during one of the night watches and close the Times of the Gentiles (Matt. 24:43; 25:5,6; Luke 21:24-28).

Seasons: The fulfillment of the last three Levitical Feasts, each celebrated in the fall of the year, are closely associated with the Second Coming and kingdom. Therefore, in all likelihood the Second Advent will take place sometime in the fall (Lev. 23:23-44).

"And He was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood." The vesture dipped in blood here has nothing to do with redemption. We must remember that Christ is returning as a Judge, not as the Redeemer. When He treads "the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God" the blood of His enemies will stain His garment (Rev. 19:13 cf. Isa. 63:2-4).

"And I saw an angel standing in the sun; and he cried with a loud voice, saying to all the fowls that fly in the midst of heaven, Come and gather yourselves together unto the supper of the great God; That ye may eat the flesh of kings, and the flesh of captains, and the flesh of mighty men…And I saw the beast, and the kings of the earth, and their armies, gathered together to make war against Him that sat on the horse, and against His army" (Rev. 19:17-19).

The carnage of this last great battle called Armageddon is beyond human comprehension. Here we must distinguish between the "marriage supper of the Lamb" we studied earlier and "the supper of the great God." This latter expression has to do with God destroying His enemies to the degree that their bodies will be heaped upon each other. In His sovereignty, God will send scavengers to clear the field of battle of this carnage. This is what Matthew means when he records, "For wheresoever the carcass is, there will the eagles [vultures] be gathered together" (Matt. 24:28).

Beloved ones, tell your sons and daughters today that "Now is the accepted time; now is the day of salvation." They have no idea what peril awaits them. The world is heading recklessly straight toward the wrath of God, which is soon to be revealed in its fullness!

--------------------
That is all.....

John Hale
unregistered

One of the greatest testimonials to the validity of the New Testament is that nearly all of it can be found in the Old Testament. And when one equips themselves to learn this through study of the OT you will be amazed how it opens up the NT in your understanding.

For example... in the Passover Seder meal Jesus said "THIS is my body" referring to what has come to be called the afikomen which is half of a third piece of unleavened matzoh bread (the Trinity represented) with only half of the middle piece of the three matzohs (half divine half human) to be broken to be distributed to the believers (the human half)... THIS half is "my body..."

Before it is broken into many pieces and eaten by the believers, it is first wrapped in a cloth and hidden (a sort of game for the children) who hunt it down and when found they receive a gift.

Can there be more prophetic evidence of the death burial and resurrection and outreach of the God-man our Savior?

True the elements of Seder are for the most part extrabiblical, but the practice was intact in Jesus day when he explained "THIS is my body" and the third cup (the cup of redemption) THIS is my blood in the New Covenant (Jeremiah 31:31-34).

And as oft as you do this (not just any old time but as often as you keep Seder) do this in remembrance of me (my death) till I come.

Finding these things in the OT is like having color television as opposed to having only black and white and even high def at that.

John Hale
unregistered

There was another "secret resurrection" that of the Lord Jesus.

1 Corinthians 15:3-4 (NASB95)
3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures,
4 and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,

The only scriptures in existence when the Apostle Paul wrote this were the Old Testament / Tanakh scriptures.

And to prevent interference of this no OT scripture passage read verbatim what Paul just wrote. It is encrypted in passages like Jonah in the whale (which Jesus himself alluded to in Matthew 12:39-40) and Isaiah 53:5 and Isaiah 53:8.

So the NT truth is no less true in the OT encryption prophecy.

John Hale
unregistered

Proverbs 25:2 (NASB95)
2 It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, But the glory of kings is to search out a matter.

Isaiah 28:9-13 (NASB95)
9 “To whom would He teach knowledge, And to whom would He interpret the message? Those just weaned from milk? Those just taken from the breast?
10 “For He says, ‘Order on order, order on order, Line on line, line on line, A little here, a little there.’ ”
11 Indeed, He will speak to this people Through stammering lips and a foreign tongue,
12 He who said to them, “Here is rest, give rest to the weary,” And, “Here is repose,” but they would not listen.
13 So the word of the Lord to them will be, “Order on order, order on order, Line on line, line on line, A little here, a little there,” That they may go and stumble backward, be broken, snared and taken captive.

Deuteronomy 29:29 (NASB95)
29 “The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our sons forever, that we may observe all the words of this law.

This encryption of the truth in scripture was to circumvent hostile jamming of the transmission of truth. Being able to piece together the truth from parts of the OT is no less valid a truth than the more straight forward passages of the NT. And in many respects the NT is divine commentary of the OT. The book of Hebrews is a commentary on Jeremiah 31:31-34 alone.

quote:
John,

quote:
Originally posted by Betty Louise:
The tribulation does not begin until after the rapture.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scripture quote please.

Thanks for your answer. My point is that there is no single OT scripture that tells the whole story of Christ, (which is why so many people did not know Him during His earthly ministry), but the scriptures are in various places.

The same is true concerning future events, the scriptures are in various places. It isn't fair to ask us to provide a scripture, or the scripture, saying the rapture comes before the tribulation. We believe that when the various scriptures are fitted together then they show a pre-tribulation rapture. You believe they show a pre-wrath rapture. Okay.

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Is Imminency?

In doing some research on the doctrine of imminency, I noticed few people take the time to actually define what prophetic imminency means. First, let us look at the general definition of the key word "imminent:" "The quality or condition of being about to occur."

Imminency, as it relates to Bible prophecy, simply means that the return of Jesus Christ for the Church can happen at any moment. No warning signs will indicate a short-term countdown. We as Christians remain on alert 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

If a wife knows her husband normally gets home from work shortly after 4:00 PM, she knows that beginning at 4:00 PM, his arrival is imminent. If the woman knows her husband has to work overtime, the imminency of his 4:00 PM return is then in doubt.

The only way for the rapture to be truly imminent is to have it transpire before the tribulation. If the Church were required to wait until after the manifestation of certain events, then there would be no doctrine of imminency.

The Granddaddy Of Proofs

The pretribulation rapture is the only view that allows for the rapture to be imminent in its timing. All the other views require a number of prophetic occurrences to take place before the rapture can be declared imminent. To be looking for the imminent return of Christ, you have to believe in a pre-trib rapture.

Jesus repeatedly said that His return for the Church would be a surprise. The Lord even went beyond that by saying He would return "as a thief" when believers generally won't be expecting Him to come for them.

"But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only" (Matthew 24:36).

"Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come. But know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up. Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh. Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath made ruler over his household, to give them meat in due season? Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing" (Matthew 24:42-46 KJV).

"Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh" (Matthew 25:13).

"And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power" (Acts 1:7).

Because we have no way to refute the fact that we will not know the timing of our Lord's return, the tribulation is a barrier to the rapture. No wonder the late John Walvoord called imminency "the heart of Pretribulationism."

This type of "any-moment" language doesn't fit a post-trib rapture. If Jesus were prevented from coming until after the battle of Magog, the rise of Antichrist, and the Mark of the Beast, we would have no need to watch for Him before the tribulation.

If the Church were required to go through the seven-year tribulation, you would expect the New Testament writers to have warned us to be prepared for trying times. On the contrary, the New Testament writers repeatedly tell the Church to be comforted by the "coming of the Lord" (1 Thes 4:18). The word "comfort" alone strongly implies the rapture will take place before the tribulation.

Some anti-imminency folks try to solve the problem they have with the rapture's any-moment occurrence by redefining it as merely indicating that Christ will return soon. The speed of Christ's advent is not the issue. If an event is required to take place before the Lord can return, there is no need to remain watchful.

If a person should make it through the tribulation until the point when the mid-trib, pre-wrath, and post-trib folks expect the rapture to occur, it would then become possible for the rapture to be classified as "imminent." However, once you solve the problem of imminency, you create another one regarding the restrictions against knowing the timing of the rapture.

Because the duration of the tribulation is already known, post-tribbers have the hardest time dealing with the rapture's timing. Some of them have tried to suggest that believers who make it through the tribulation will lazily lose track of the nearness of Christ's second coming.

If a Christian has been lucky enough to survive a host of apocalyptic calamities and elude the Antichrist's secret police for at least 3 1/2 years, I cannot imagine that he would be oblivious to the nearness of the Lord's return at the 7-year mark. If I were reduced to the point of having to hide in a forest and forage through dead tree bark to find beetles and grubs to sustain myself, I'm certain my every thought would be focused on the Lord's return.

Maranatha

One the strongest cases one can make for the early Church expecting an imminent return of Christ is to note their use of the word maranatha, which was used as a greeting in those days. When believers gathered or parted, they didn't say "hello" or "goodbye"; they would say "Maranatha!"

I've encountered some writings that say Maranatha is Hebrew and Greek, but it is actually an Aramaic expression. In fact, it is made up of three Aramaic words: Mar, which means "Lord"; ana, which means "our"; and tha, which means "come."

So when you put it together, maranatha means "Our Lord, come." It perfectly conveys the concept that the Lord could come at any moment. Maranatha is used once in the Bible by Paul as part of a curse. In 1 Corinthians 16:22, Paul said, "If any man love not the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be Anathema. Maranatha." The word "anathema" means "banned," so Paul was saying, "Let him be banned from our Lord's coming."

The interesting thing about maranatha is that it comes in the form of a petition. When a Christian in the early Church would make this statement, he was actually petitioning the Lord to come. This obviously implies the belief that it was possible for Jesus to answer the appeal.

If members of the first-century Church believed that certain events needed to take place before the Savior could return, they would have been silly to greet each other with "maranatha." They lived nearly 2,000 years ago, and yet they seem to have had a deeper awareness of imminency than many of today's Christians.

The Historical Record

Many of the contemporary writers who attack imminency try to promote the idea that this doctrine was recently dreamed up by men who were ignorant of the true meaning of Scripture.

One detractor states, "This frenzy [imminency] continues to survive today because of modern misconceptions about the purpose of these prophetic events and the time frame for their occurrence."

Post-trib believers are the most vocal in their claim that the concepts of imminency and the pre-trib rapture only date back to the early 1800s. For several years, their charges went unanswered, but recently a number of men have dusted off old manuscripts and found several early Church fathers who were clearly looking for an imminent return of the Lord Jesus.

"All the saints and elect of God are gathered together before the tribulation, which is to come, and are taken to the Lord, in order that they may not see at any time the confusion which overwhelms the world because of our sins" (Pseudo-Ephraem (374-627 AD).

The First Epistle of Clement, 23 (written around 96 A.D. by Clement, a prominent leader of the church at Rome who knew some of the apostles personally and probably is the Clement referred to in Phil. 4:3): "Of a truth, soon and suddenly shall His will be accomplished, as the Scripture also bears witness, saying, 'speedily will He come, and will not tarry.'"

As early as 70 - 180 AD, The Didache, chapter 16, section 1, says, "'Be vigilant over your life; let your lamps not be extinguished, or your loins ungirded, but be prepared, for you know not the hour in which our Lord will come."

"But what a spectacle is that fast-approaching advent of our Lord, now owned by all, now highly exalted, now a triumphant One!" (Tertullian 155 - 245 AD).

John Calvin, the reformer at Geneva during the 1500s and founder of the Presbyterian Church, made the following statements in some of his commentaries on books of the Bible: "Be prepared to expect Him every day, or rather every moment." "As He has promised that He will return to us, we ought to hold ourselves prepared, at every moment to receive Him." "Today we must be alert to grasp the imminent return of Christ." Commenting on 1 Thessalonians 4, the "Rapture passage," Calvin said that Paul "means by this to arouse the Thessalonians to wait for it, nay more, to hold all believers in suspense, that they may not promise themselves some particular time . . . that believers might be prepared at all times."

The Westminster Confession, written by the Puritans of England during the 1600s, declared that men should "shake off all carnal security and be always watchful, because they know not at what hour the Lord will come."

"I say, somewhat more because the dead saints will be raised, and the living changed at Christ's 'appearing in the air' (1 Thess 4:17); and this will be about three years and a half before the millennium, as we shall see hereafter: but will he and they abide in the air all that time? No: they will ascend to paradise, or to some one of those many 'mansions in the father's house' (John 14:2), and so disappear during the foresaid period of time." (Morgan Edwards 1742-44).

I'm not much of a fan of relying on what scholarly men write about the Bible. I agree with the quotes I just cited, but I don't really need a bunch of dead guys to tell me what is truth. I have over a dozen copies of the Good Book lying around the house, and I have the ability to read and understand each of them for myself.

History has proven that mankind is a dreadful biblical guide. The apostasy that swept over the Church caused a lack of prophecy commentary from about 450 AD until the 1600s. People stopped thinking for themselves. Their interpretation of the Bible became what the institutional church spoon-fed them.

Premillennialism largely disappeared after it was condemned as heretical by the Council of Ephesus in 431 AD. It wasn't until the reform movement of the early seventeenth century that we see a rebound in the number of statements that reflect the pretribulational view.

Scripture Galore

A host of Scriptures indicate the Church should expect an imminent return of their Lord. The opponents of imminency constantly try to pick apart each individual reference, but they should look at the big picture. An overwhelming number of verses in the Bible support imminency.

I've been able to easily locate 22 passages that imply that the coming of Christ remains an imminent event. All you really need is one verse to prove a point, but the weight of evidence should cause even the most hard-core imminency foes to rethink their stance.

I seriously doubt any scholar or layman could find 22 passages of Scripture that clearly indicate the tribulation or the rule of the Antichrist is the next imminent event facing the Church.

"But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only" (Mat 24:36).

Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom. And five of them were wise, and five were foolish. They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them: But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps. While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept. And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him" (Mat 25:1-6)

"Take ye heed, watch and pray; for ye know not when the time is. For the Son of Man is as a man taking a far journey, who left his house, and gave authority to his servants, and to every man his work, and commanded the porter to watch. Watch ye therefore: for ye know not when the Master of the house cometh, at even, or at midnight, or at the cockcrowing, or in the morning: Lest coming suddenly He find you sleeping. And what I say unto you I say unto all, Watch" (Mark 13:33-37).

"Knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed. The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armor of light" (Rom 13:11-12).

"And the God of peace shall bruise Satan under your feet shortly" (Rom 16:20).

"So that ye come behind in no gift; waiting for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ" (1 Cor 1:7).

"For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ" (Phil 3:20).

"Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand" (Phil 4:5).

"And to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead, even Jesus, which delivered us from the wrath to come" (1 Thess 1:10).

"Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober" (1 Thess 5:6).

"That thou keep this commandment without spot, unrebukeable, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ" (1 Tim 6:14).

"Looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus" (Titus 2:13).

"So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation" (Heb 9:28).

"Let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the Day approaching" (Heb 10:24-25).

"For yet a little while, and He that shall come will come, and will not tarry" (Heb 10:37).

"Be patient therefore, brethren, unto the coming of the Lord. Behold, the husbandman waiteth for the precious fruit of the earth, and hath long patience for it, until he receive the early and latter rain. Be ye also patient; stablish your hearts: for the coming of the Lord draweth nigh. Grudge not one against another, brethren, lest ye be condemned: behold, the judge standeth before the door" (James 5:7-9).

"Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ" (1 Peter 1:13).

"But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore sober, and watch unto prayer" (1 Peter 4:7).

"Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life" (Jude 1:21).

"Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown" (Rev 3:11).

"Behold, I come quickly: blessed is he that keepeth the sayings of the prophecy of this book" (Rev 22:7).

"He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus" (Rev 22:20).

http://www.raptureready.com/rr-imminency.html

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a nice chart John. It's very well designed. I don't agree with pre-wrath, but I like the chart [Smile]

I'll repeat the passage for the readers.

2 Thessalonians 2:1 - 7 (NASB)

Now we request you, brethren, with regard to the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our gathering together to Him, that you not be quickly shaken from your composure or be disturbed either by a spirit or a message or a letter as if from us, to the effect that the day of the Lord has come. Let no one in any way deceive you, for it will not come unless the apostasy comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction, who opposes and exalts himself above every so-called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, displaying himself as being God. Do you not remember that while I was still with you, I was telling you these things? And you know what restrains him now, so that in his time he will be revealed. For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work; only he who now restrains will do so until he is taken out of the way.

The Rapture of the Church

(2 Thes. 2:1, 6-7)

Paul appealed to them to “calm down” on the basis of the truth he had taught them in his first letter: the Lord would return and catch up His own to meet Him in the air (1 Thes. 4:13-18). This is “the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and … our gathering together unto Him” (2 Thes. 2:1). Not two separated events, but one great event that will occur suddenly and without warning.

Once the church is out of the world, Satan and his forces will unfold their program. The Day of the Lord is the period that follows the Rapture of the church. It will be a time of Tribulation for the people on earth: Satan and his hosts will be working on earth, and God will send righteous judgments from heaven. Revelation 6-19 describes this period for us.

Why is Satan unable to reveal his “man of sin” sooner? Because God is restraining the forces of evil in the world today. Satan cannot do whatever he wants to do, whenever he pleases. Our sovereign Lord is able to make even the wrath of man to praise Him, and “the remainder of wrath shalt Thou restrain” (Ps. 76:10). In 2 Thessalonians 2:6-7, Paul mentioned a restraining force that even today is helping keep everything on schedule.

Who or what is this restrainer? Paul told the Thessalonicans when he was teaching them personally, but he did not put this information in either of his letters. This restrainer is now at work in the world and will continue to work till it (or he) is “taken out of the midst” (literal translation of 2 Thes. 2:7b).

Notice that in 2 Thessalonians 2:6 Paul referred to this restrainer in the neuter gender (“what restraineth”), while in 2 Thessalonians 2:7, he used the masculine gender (“he who now hindereth”). The restrainer is a person who is today “in the midst,” but will one day be “taken out of the midst.”

Many Bible students identify this restrainer as the Holy Spirit of God.
Certainly, He is “in the midst” of God’s program today, working through the church to accomplish God’s purposes. When the church is raptured, the Holy Spirit will not be taken out of the world (otherwise nobody could be saved during the Tribulation), but He will be taken out of the midst to allow Satan and his forces to go to work. The Holy Spirit will certainly be present on the earth during the Day of the Lord, but He will not be restraining the forces of evil as He is today.

In spite of its weakness and seeming failure, never underestimate the importance of the church in the world. People who criticize the church do not realize that the presence of the people of God in this world gives unsaved people opportunity to be saved. The presence of the church is delaying the coming of judgment. Lot was not a dedicated man, but his presence in Sodom held back the wrath of God (Gen. 19:12-29).

There are two programs at work in the world today: God’s program of salvation, and Satan’s program of sin, “the mystery of iniquity.” God has a timetable for His program, and nothing Satan does can change that timetable. Just as there was a “fullness of the time” for the coming of Christ (Gal. 4:4), so there is a “fullness of the time” for the appearance of Antichrist; and nothing will be off schedule. Once the restraining ministry of the Spirit of God has ended, the next event can take place.

(Wiersbe)

John Hale
unregistered

It is far more likely and IMHO the only logical alternative that he is referring to his teachings about the falling away (1 Timothy 1:10 more fully in 2 Timothy 4:3) which is sewn throughout Paul's teachings culminating to the later verses in 2 Thessalonians 2 (verse 11 especially) when God turns the apostate over to depraved thinking to (ultimately) believe THE lie.

These things will happen first.

Abomination of desolation on day 1230 of the 70th week, rapture on day 1335.

-

John Hale
unregistered

Note the different words:

Gathering

Strong's Greek #1997 ...Christ, and by our gathering together unto hima, 2...
1997 episunagoge { ep-ee-soon-ag-o-gay’}
from 1996; TDNT - 7:841,1107; n f
AV - gathering together 1, assembling together 1; 2
GK - 2191 { ἐπισυναγωγή }
1) a gathering together in one place
2) the (religious) assembly (of Christians)

Falling away

Strong's Greek #646 ...come, except there come a falling away first, and that man ...
646 apostasia { ap-os-tas-ee’-ah}
feminine of the same as 647; TDNT - 1:513,88; n f
AV - to forsake + 575 1, falling away 1; 2
GK - 686 { ἀποστασία }
1) a falling away, defection, apostasy

You stated "I believe..." and I cannot argue with that even if one were to say "I believe God is a tree." For it is that person's belief. But that's all it is.

You say you believe apostasia means departing from the earth rather than departing from the truth / faith / pathway... that's your belief.

To say it refers back to the gathering to him does not make sense in that this departing from the earth happens before we are gathered... isn't that suggesting some holding tank (purgatory / Abraham's bosom)? And does not 2 Corinthians 5:6-8 debunk that possibility (this side of the cross)?

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Let no one in any way deceive you, FOR IT WILL NOT (NOT) COME UNLESS (UNTIL) THE APOSTASY COMES FIRST, AND (AND) THE MAN OF LAWLESSNESS IS REVEALED, THE SON OF DESTRUCTION,

"the apostasy comes first"

The first seven English translations of apostasia all rendered the noun as either " departure" or " departing." They are as follows: Wycliffe Bible (1384); Tyndale Bible (1526); Coverdale Bible (1535); Cranmer Bible (1539); Breeches Bible (1576); Beza Bible (1583); Geneva Bible (1608).

This supports the notion that the word truly means " departure." In fact, Jerome' s Latin translation known as the Vulgate from around the time of A.D. 400 renders apostasia with the word "discessio", meaning "departure."

Why was the King James Version the first to depart from the established translation of "departure"? Why does the King James say "falling away"?

Literally translated the word means the "departure" which of course could mean a departure from the faith, and thus, a rebellion (falling away, apostasy). But I think it means the departure Paul just talked about (2 Thessalonians 2:1) --the departure of the Church to be with the Lord.

Apostasy or Departure?

http://www.4himnet.com/fbc/issue006.html

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John,

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scripture quote please.

Thanks for your answer. My point is that there is no single OT scripture that tells the whole story of Christ, (which is why so many people did not know Him during His earthly ministry), but the scriptures are in various places.

The same is true concerning future events, the scriptures are in various places. It isn't fair to ask us to provide a scripture, or the scripture, saying the rapture comes before the tribulation. We believe that when the various scriptures are fitted together then they show a pre-tribulation rapture. You believe they show a pre-wrath rapture. Okay.

John Hale
unregistered

FYI, WildB,

I too used to champion this preacher and that teacher and this apologist and that evangelist and the list is long.

But I since found the useful purpose of them all which is to glean from them only the teaching / insight that strictly aligns with the word of God and nothing more.

Every single one of them had flaws. Every one of them had misinterpretations of the Bible at some point or other. And you will find that most people do. Including you and me.

It's part of the human limitation. It's part of the human psyche to try to grasp facts in such a way that puts our own experience or understanding in the mix... and wisdom is in the surrender of this to the Bible (God's final court of arbitration).

This is why you will rarely (if ever) see me quote any of my teachers or teachings of others but only the Bible with either my own take on the verses (which is always subject to change if the Bible proves otherwise).

Perhaps we both were a bit heavy handed in describing each other here.

Shall we start over?

John Hale
unregistered

Betty Louise...

2 Thessalonians 2:1-4 (NASB95)

1 Now we request you, brethren, with regard to the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our gathering together to Him,

rapture? or second coming?

2 that you not be quickly shaken from your composure or be disturbed either by a spirit or a message or a letter as if from us, to the effect that the day of the Lord has come.

rapture? or second coming?

If second coming, how could anyone think the day of the Lord had already come? The great white throne judgment / all dead raised, condemned cast into the lake of fire? Surely this is about the gathering of the rapture.

3 Let no one in any way deceive you, FOR IT WILL NOT (NOT) COME UNLESS (UNTIL) THE APOSTASY COMES FIRST, AND (AND) THE MAN OF LAWLESSNESS IS REVEALED, THE SON OF DESTRUCTION,

4 who opposes and exalts himself above every so-called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, displaying himself as being God.

Verse 4 even shows how he will be revealed.

How can it be said the rapture will take place before this when the scriptures say it will not happen until after this?

John Hale
unregistered

quote:
John

Please quote the Old Testament scripture that says God will be born as a man, be crucified, and be raised from the dead for the salvation of Jews and Gentiles alike.

Thanks so much.

Isaiah 7:14 (NASB95)
14 “Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, a virgin will be with child and bear a son, and she will call His name Immanuel.

Matthew 1:23 (NASB95)
23 “Behold, the virgin shall be with child and shall bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel,” which translated means, “God with us.”

Isaiah 9:6 (NASB95)
6 For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; And the government will rest on His shoulders; And His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace.

Psalm 22 (NASB95)

1 For the choir director; upon Aijeleth Hashshahar. A Psalm of David. My God, my God, why have You forsaken me? Far from my deliverance are the words of my groaning.
2 O my God, I cry by day, but You do not answer; And by night, but I have no rest.
3 Yet You are holy, O You who are enthroned upon the praises of Israel.
4 In You our fathers trusted; They trusted and You delivered them.
5 To You they cried out and were delivered; In You they trusted and were not disappointed.
6 But I am a worm and not a man, A reproach of men and despised by the people.
7 All who see me sneer at me; They separate with the lip, they wag the head, saying,
8 “Commit yourself to the Lord; let Him deliver him; Let Him rescue him, because He delights in him.”
9 Yet You are He who brought me forth from the womb; You made me trust when upon my mother’s breasts.
10 Upon You I was cast from birth; You have been my God from my mother’s womb.
11 Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help.
12 Many bulls have surrounded me; Strong bulls of Bashan have encircled me.
13 They open wide their mouth at me, As a ravening and a roaring lion.
14 I am poured out like water, And all my bones are out of joint; My heart is like wax; It is melted within me.
15 My strength is dried up like a potsherd, And my tongue cleaves to my jaws; And You lay me in the dust of death.
16 For dogs have surrounded me; A band of evildoers has encompassed me; They pierced my hands and my feet.
17 I can count all my bones. They look, they stare at me;
18 They divide my garments among them, And for my clothing they cast lots.
19 But You, O Lord, be not far off; O You my help, hasten to my assistance.
20 Deliver my soul from the sword, My only life from the power of the dog.
21 Save me from the lion’s mouth; From the horns of the wild oxen You answer me.
22 I will tell of Your name to my brethren; In the midst of the assembly I will praise You.
23 You who fear the Lord, praise Him; All you descendants of Jacob, glorify Him, And stand in awe of Him, all you descendants of Israel.
24 For He has not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted; Nor has He hidden His face from him; But when he cried to Him for help, He heard.
25 From You comes my praise in the great assembly; I shall pay my vows before those who fear Him.
26 The afflicted will eat and be satisfied; Those who seek Him will praise the Lord. Let your heart live forever!
27 All the ends of the earth will remember and turn to the Lord, And all the families of the nations will worship before You.
28 For the kingdom is the Lord’s And He rules over the nations.
29 All the prosperous of the earth will eat and worship, All those who go down to the dust will bow before Him, Even he who cannot keep his soul alive.
30 Posterity will serve Him; It will be told of the Lord to the coming generation.
31 They will come and will declare His righteousness To a people who will be born, that He has performed it.

Psalm 16:9-11 (NASB95)
9 Therefore my heart is glad and my glory rejoices; My flesh also will dwell securely.
10 For You will not abandon my soul to Sheol; Nor will You allow Your Holy One to undergo decay.
11 You will make known to me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy; In Your right hand there are pleasures forever.

Job 19:26 (NASB95)
26 “Even after my skin is destroyed, Yet from my flesh I shall see God;

Isaiah 26:19-20 (NASB95)
19 Your dead will live; Their corpses will rise. You who lie in the dust, awake and shout for joy, For your dew is as the dew of the dawn, And the earth will give birth to the departed spirits.
20 Come, my people, enter into your rooms And close your doors behind you; Hide for a little while Until indignation runs its course.

Isaiah 60:3 (NASB95)
3 “Nations will come to your light, And kings to the brightness of your rising.

Here's the kicker... the incorporation of all who believe (are in New Covenant with God) are the House of Israel / House of Judah:

Jeremiah 31:31-34 (NASB95)
31 “Behold, days are coming,” declares the Lord, “when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah,
32 not like the covenant which I made with their fathers in the day I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, although I was a husband to them,” declares the Lord.
33 “But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days,” declares the Lord, “I will put My law within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.
34 “They will not teach again, each man his neighbor and each man his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they will all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them,” declares the Lord, “for I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more.”

Which Paul distinguishes from those physically born Jewish:

Romans 2:28-29 (NASB95)
28 For he is not a Jew who is one outwardly, nor is circumcision that which is outward in the flesh.
29 But he is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is that which is of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the letter; and his praise is not from men, but from God.

referring to a circumcision of the heart (rather than the flesh) which goes back as far as:

Deuteronomy 10:16 (NASB95)
16 “So circumcise your heart, and stiffen your neck no longer.

Deuteronomy 30:6 (NASB95)
6 “Moreover the Lord your God will circumcise your heart and the heart of your descendants, to love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul, so that you may live.

Jeremiah 4:4 (NASB95)
4 “Circumcise yourselves to the Lord And remove the foreskins of your heart, Men of Judah and inhabitants of Jerusalem, Or else My wrath will go forth like fire And burn with none to quench it, Because of the evil of your deeds.”

Discerning and distinguishing the physical from the spiritual which Paul also addressed in:

Romans 9:6 (NASB95)
6 But it is not as though the word of God has failed. For they are not all Israel who are descended from Israel;

And:

Romans 11:16-26 (NASB95)
16 If the first piece of dough is holy, the lump is also; and if the root is holy, the branches are too.
17 But if some of the branches were broken off, and you, being a wild olive, were grafted in among them and became partaker with them of the rich root of the olive tree,
18 do not be arrogant toward the branches; but if you are arrogant, remember that it is not you who supports the root, but the root supports you.
19 You will say then, “Branches were broken off so that I might be grafted in.”
20 Quite right, they were broken off for their unbelief, but you stand by your faith. Do not be conceited, but fear;
21 for if God did not spare the natural branches, He will not spare you, either.
22 Behold then the kindness and severity of God; to those who fell, severity, but to you, God’s kindness, if you continue in His kindness; otherwise you also will be cut off.
23 And they also, if they do not continue in their unbelief, will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again.
24 For if you were cut off from what is by nature a wild olive tree, and were grafted contrary to nature into a cultivated olive tree, how much more will these who are the natural branches be grafted into their own olive tree?
25 For I do not want you, brethren, to be uninformed of this mystery—so that you will not be wise in your own estimation—that a partial hardening has happened to Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in;
26 and so all Israel will be saved; just as it is written, “The Deliverer will come from Zion, He will remove ungodliness from Jacob.”

And..

Galatians 3:24-28 (NASB95)
24 Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, so that we may be justified by faith.
25 But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.
26 For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.
27 For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.
28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

And...

Galatians 6:15-16 (NASB95)
15 For neither is circumcision anything, nor uncircumcision, but a new creation.
16 And those who will walk by this rule, peace and mercy be upon them, and upon the Israel of God.

Furthering my point that the ekklesia (greek) assembly / church goes back much further than Acts 2 or some Johnnie come lately windbag who WildB worships apparently enough to slander me as a fool for pointing out his shortcomings.

So hopefully I've answered all questions asked me by these many scriptures and addressed the points and accusations leveled against me.

WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 6 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bloodbought:
Dispensationalism & It's Pretribulation Rapture

http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?SID=12140352556

The Present Obsession With the Anti-Christ
By Paul M. Sadler

This obsession with "things to come" is probably going to be unprecedented from any thing we've witnessed in the past. The predictions of these so-called modern day prophets will range from setting dates for the Rapture to receiving a special revelation that the Church is going through part or all of the Tribulation period.

Of course, the state of confusion that the Church finds itself in is largely a product of its own doing. You would think that after so many failed attempts to accurately predict the Rapture those who make such claims would be reluctant to appear in public. Yet the Church persists in its rejection of the Mystery that was committed to Paul, giving it only halfhearted acknowledgement.

"And to wait for His Son from heaven, whom He raised from the dead, even Jesus, which delivered us from the wrath to come" (I Thes. 1:10).

According to Paul's gospel the Rapture is imminent, that is, it could take place at any moment. There are no signs, times, or seasons that will precede this glorious event. It could be the year 2012; then again it may be 2075. We simply don't know how long the longsuffering of God will be extended to the Gentiles. God may well extend His grace for another two thousand years, although this seems unlikely.

The secret coming of Christ for the Church is unrelated to prophecy. This explains why biblical chronologists always humiliate themselves when they attempt to predict the Rapture based upon the prophetic timetable. If they included the Mystery in their calculations they would receive the following message, "unknown period of interruption." You see, God must first complete His plans and purpose among the Gentiles, which terminates with the imminent return of Christ for the Church.

THE HYSTERIA OVER THE ANTI-CHRIST

"And then shall that Wicked [one—the Anti-Christ] be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of His mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of His coming: Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders" (II Thes. 2:8,9).
Those who underestimate the importance of rightly dividing the Word of truth normally end up drifting into a Mid, Pre-wrath, or Post-Tribulational Rapture of the Church. It is somewhat understandable how Acts 2 dispensationalists could be swept into these camps simply because they believe Paul's apostleship and message are merely an extension of the kingdom gospel.

But this is inexcusable for someone who understands Paul's unique apostleship and message, although, sadly, it does happen from time to time. We should probably brace ourselves because these types of departures from the faith will become more and more common as the days grow more evil. We've often said that those who depart from the doctrine of the Pretribulational Rapture of the Church never fully understood the nature of Paul's gospel to begin with. If the Rapture is near, as some predict, or the Body of Christ is going through the coming Tribulation, as others teach, this explains the present day mania over the identity of the Anti-Christ.

One popular prophecy teacher is convinced that the Anti-Christ is Bill Clinton. He points out that the number equivalent of his name is 666. Through elaborate charts, diagrams, and genealogies he somehow draws the conclusion that Mr. Clinton is a direct descendant of the Emperor Nero, and heir to the Rothchild fortune. According to him, Mr. Clinton could be, might be, probably is the Anti-Christ, the last great world dictator. He's the seventh head1 of John's apocalyptic vision (Rev. 13:1 cf. 17:9), which, by the way, this self-ordained prophet surmises the heads to be:

(1) Nebuchadnezzar
(2) Cyrus
(3) Alexander the Great
(4) Antiochus Epiphanes
(5) Nero
(6) Hitler
(7) Clinton—Anti-Christ

Wow! This sounds like a riddle wrapped in an enigma to me. If there's one thing that the past should have taught us, it would be this: it is extremely dangerous to interpret the Bible according to current events. Those who lived through World War II will recall how well-known Bible teachers confidently declared Adolph Hitler to be the Anti-Christ, only to find that they had to recant their position after the war. While it could be said Hitler was anti-Christ, he was not the Anti-Christ foretold by the prophets.

During the Nixon administration many believed Henry Kissinger was the man of sin—they, too, found themselves in an awkward situation trying to explain that it was apparently a case of mistaken identity. Now we are being told President Clinton is the Anti-Christ. Mark these words and mark them well, those who teach this will also be running for cover in the very near future.

Incidentally, we know Mr. Clinton could not be the son of perdition for a number of reasons. First and foremost, the last three world leaders referred to by this prophetic teacher, Nero (54-68 A.D.), Hitler (1939-1945), and Mr. Clinton (1992-2000), have all ruled and reigned during God's parenthetical period of Grace. But the Anti-Christ is inseparably bound to prophecy; therefore, his reign cannot begin until the close of the age of Grace.

Truth always exposes error. This is why in my personal ministry I have never spent a lot of time familiarizing myself with false teaching. I spend the lion's share of my time studying the truth—it makes error stand out like ink on a white shirt.

They say the Federal Reserve never train its agents with counterfeit bills for obvious reasons. Instead, they take actual currency and make each agent memorize the minutest detail of each denomination. This is done over and over again until it makes an indelible impression upon them. Consequently, when counterfeit bills are intermingled with the real thing, they are able to detect the forgery every time. The same is true in regard to spiritual things; darkness cannot withstand the light of God's Word.

WHAT THE SCRIPTURES SAY ABOUT THE ANTI-CHRIST

The prefix "anti" means against and/or instead of. Both are true concerning this future dictator. He poses as the Messiah, but opposes Christ by executing all that name His name. The Anti-Christ will have a winsome personality that the world will find irresistible. The prophet Daniel says:
"And the king shall do according to his will; and he shall exalt himself, and magnify himself above every god, and shall speak marvellous things against the God of gods, and shall prosper till the indignation be accomplished: for that that is determined shall be done. Neither shall he regard the God of his fathers, nor the desire of women, nor regard any god: for he shall magnify himself above all" (Dan. 11:36,37).

In this narrative, the prophet Daniel gives us a biographical sketch of the Anti-Christ. As we know, the Tribulation is said to open with wars and rumors of wars. It will be a period of unparalleled lawlessness (Matt. 24:6 cf. II Thes. 2:7). Like Hitler, the Anti-Christ will take full advantage of the times. In fact, they will provide the platform for him to
"prosper politically" and become a household name.

During the forty days in which Christ was tempted, you will recall the devil took our Lord up into a high mountain and "...showed unto Him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time. And the devil said unto Him, All this power will I give thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it. If thou therefore wilt worship me, all shall be thine. And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and Him only shalt thou serve" (Luke 4:5-8).

Notice that the world lies in the lap of the evil one. The devil gained power over the nations when Adam fell. Clearly he has control of the kingdoms of this world if he offered them to Christ. Of course, our Lord exposed the devil's desire to overthrow the plans and purpose of God by quoting the Scriptures. But the Anti-Christ, whose coming is after the working of Satan, will happily receive control of the nations (Rev. 13:1,2,7). While we know him to be a ruthless dictator who opposes the righteous ways of God, he begins his reign of terror as a man of peace. And, sadly, the world will be predisposed to accept peace at any price.

Having control of the kingdoms of this world, the Anti-Christ negotiates a peaceful solution with those nations that are at war with one another. Eventually, he forms an alliance with these nations which serve as his seat of authority (Rev. 13:2 cf. 17:9-13). At the same time, the Anti-Christ strikes a covenant with the nation Israel, which allows her to re-establish the Old Testament sacrificial system. This brings peace to the Middle East.

"And he [the man of sin] shall confirm the covenant with many for one week [7 years]: and in the midst of the week [middle of the Tribulation] he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation..." (Dan. 9:27).

We believe the Anti-Christ will seek to conceal his identity for as long as possible at the beginning of the Tribulation. In other words, he would never be so foolish as to say publicly, "I have come to deceive and rob the nations of their autonomy." This isn't how deception works. Notice that Daniel states: "He shall confirm the covenant with many for one week...." This dynamic impostor will establish this peace agreement with "many" in Israel, but not all. While he may deceive the religious leaders and their followers as to his true identity, apparently some in Israel will suspect that he has evil intentions, and rightfully so.

Thus, the initial agenda of the Anti-Christ will be to bring peace to the world, as uncertain and fleeting as that may be. As this false sense of security sweeps across the landscape, the world will wonder after the beast, saying, "Who is like unto the beast?" (Rev. 13:4). But "when they shall say, peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape" (I Thes. 5:3). It quite literally is going to be hell on earth with the wrath of God raining down from heaven and the military machine of the Anti-Christ crushing anyone or any nation that stands in his path.

"But in his estate shall he honour the God of forces: and a god whom his fathers knew not shall he honour with gold, and silver, and with precious stones, and pleasant things" (Dan. 11:38). In addition to his lavish lifestyle, the Anti-Christ will honor the God of forces with his wealth. The word "forces" is the Hebrew term "ma'owz" or fortresses. Satan is the god of fortresses or war—he is the author of confusion.

The General who leads the forces of evil into battle in the coming day of the Lord is none other than the Anti-Christ. His military prowess will make the remarkable accomplishments of Alexander the Great look insignificant. He is the rider on the white horse who goes forth to conquer (Rev. 6:2). And the main objective of this diabolical leader will be to do battle with the saints and destroy the Nation Israel. Little wonder the souls of the martyrs cry out to the Father, "how long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?" (Rev. 6:10).

Daniel also informs us that "neither shall he regard the God of his fathers" (Dan. 11:37). The phrase "God of his fathers" is uniquely Hebrew. The "fathers" is a reference to the patriarchs, namely Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. Upon receiving the decree from King Artaxerxes that Israel could return to the land with the gold and silver vessels of the temple, Ezra offered a prayer of thanksgiving:

"Blessed be the LORD God of our fathers, which hath put such a thing as this in the king's heart, to beautify the house of the LORD which is in Jerusalem" (Ezra 7:27).

In relation to the Anti-Christ, he will have little regard for the "God of his fathers." He'll have absolutely no desire to know Him nor worship Him, as did his predecessors before him. However, our phrase does clearly indicate that he will be a Jew, even though he'll seek to disassociate himself from the Hebrew fathers and what God promised to them. Furthermore, Daniel adds, "nor the desire of women" (Dan. 11:37). This phrase can be taken to mean either the Anti-Christ won't desire women or women will desire him, but he'll be oblivious to their advances. In either case, Daniel's point is this: the Anti-Christ will be so self-absorbed that he'll be more than content to remain single.

--------------------
That is all.....

Brother Paul
Advanced Member
Member # 7959

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brother Paul   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And also you my sister...Amen

Brother Paul

Posts: 235 | From: Cambridge, MA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No worries, Bro. Paul . I have done 7 studies and much prayer on the subject and I feel secure in my beliefs. This is not a salvation issue and should not divide Christians. God bless you.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brother Paul
Advanced Member
Member # 7959

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brother Paul   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Betty my sister in the Lord, no disrespect, I know because I was also taught the pre-trib rapture and believed it for years, but the Bible teaches very clearly without any need for interpretation that the rapture, the resurrection, the anihilation of anti-christ, and the second coming all occur as one event. When we "meet" Him in the air the word "meet" is apentensis which means it is the time He also arrives.

The rapture occurs at the second coming (at the parousia) at the sound of the LAST TRUMP, on the LAST DAY of this world age. Not 7 years before the last day, before the anti-Christ reigns.

Jesus teaches this, Paul Teaches this, John Teaches this, all the earliest church fathers were taught and teach this, and no one, not anyone ever taught or thought up a pre-trib rapture until the 1800's....

We all believe in the rapture of the church, the question is when? The scriptures only teach this occurs AT the second coming (the parousia) and at no other time.

Love

Brother Paul

Posts: 235 | From: Cambridge, MA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Second Coming comes after the tribulation. It makes no sense any other way. The Bible makes it clear no one but God know the time of the rapture. We all know that the tribulation will last 7 years after the signing of the covenant between the anti-Christ and the Jews. The Second Coming is not a secret.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brother Paul
Advanced Member
Member # 7959

Thanks Blood, that was historically accurate and historic premillennialism is in fact the position I myself hold first because it is what the Scriptures actually say literally and next because it was the doctrine the Apostles had passed on to the earliest church fathers and held as true until Augustine.

Thanks again, the Lord bless

Brother Paul

Bloodbought
Advanced Member
Member # 4365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bloodbought     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dispensationalism & It's Pretribulation Rapture

http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?SID=12140352556

Posts: 822 | From: Ireland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brother Paul
Advanced Member
Member # 7959

Matthew 24 says to the Church about the Parousia....

3 As He was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, "Tell us, when will these things happen, and what will be the sign of Your coming (the Parousia), and of the end of the age?"

4 And Jesus answered and said to them, "See to it that no one misleads you." (same as Paul says)

8 "But all these things are merely the beginning of birth pangs."

9 "Then they will deliver you to tribulation, and will kill you, and you will be hated by all nations because of My name."

10"At that time many will fall away (the apostasia) and will betray one another and hate one another."

15 "Therefore when you see the ABOMINATION OF DESOLATION which was spoken of through Daniel the prophet (which abomination is the Anti-Christ), standing in the holy place (let the reader understand)," Who will see it? The followers of Jesus!

21"For then there will be a great tribulation, such as has not occurred since the beginning of the world until now, nor ever will.

22"Unless those days had been cut short, no life would have been saved; but for the sake of the elect those days will be cut short. (because "elect" saved Christians alive in that time period will be persecuted)

27"For just as the lightning comes from the east and flashes even to the west, so will the coming (parousia) of the Son of Man be.

29 "But immediately after the tribulation of those days (the one spoken of in verse 21) THE SUN WILL BE DARKENED, AND THE MOON WILL NOT GIVE ITS LIGHT, AND THE STARS WILL FALL from the sky, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken.

30"And then (after these things...after the rise of Anti-Christ and the apostasia the persecution during his portion of the tribulation) the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the sky (the epiphenea at the parousia), and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn (Zech.12:10), and they will see the SON OF MAN COMING ON THE CLOUDS OF THE SKY with power and great glory.
So the whole world sees the coming (the parousia) and then

31"And He will send forth His angels with A GREAT TRUMPET and THEY WILL GATHER TOGETHER His elect from the four winds, from one end of the sky to the other. (the Rapture occuring at the epiphenea/parousia event just like the others have described it)

a) the tribulation

b) the coming (parousia) and the appearing are the same "after the tribulation" event

c) the Rapture occurs at this time

Remember 2 Thessalonians 2:8, according to Paul ...the Anti-Christ is consumed by the brightness of His appearing (epiphenea) at the Parousia (his coming) which according to Jesus whom we have just read, is when the Rapture occurs. According to Paul elsewhere, therefore again, the Rapture occurs after the reign of Anti-Christ. This is the word of God from both Jesus and Paul...the lambs need to be warned and we all need to draw near and tell our loved ones to prepare...keep our lamps full and trim our wicks...

James 5:7 tells us, the Church, to be "long-suffering, therefore, brethren, until the parousia of the Lord". The Church remains here until the Parousia. Just the word (exegesis) no additional reading into (eisigesis).

Love in Christ,
Brother Paul

Brother Paul
Advanced Member
Member # 7959

1 Thessalonians 4:15-5:4 - "According to the Lord's own word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left till the coming (parousia) of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep. For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of god, and the dead in Christ will rise first (the first resurrection). After that (that is, after the parousia at the first resurrection), we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air (when He comes in the clouds). And so we will be with the Lord forever. (parentheses mine)

Therefore encourage each other with these words. Now, brothers, about times and dates we do not need to write to you, for you know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night. While people are saying, "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, as labor pains* on a pregnant woman, and they will not escape. But you, brothers, are not in darkness so that this day should surprise you like a thief."

*Labor pains come in waves getting more and more intense as the time draws nigh…

Mark 13:26-27 - At that time (the parousia) men will see the Son of Man coming in clouds with great power and glory. And he will send his angels and gather his elect from the four winds, from the ends of the earth to the ends of the heavens (the rapture). (parentheses mine)

This passage that Peter recalled to Mark in Rome while he was awaiting his martyrdom, speaks of the Rapture of the church (the gathering of His elect to Himself), but note that it is at the time of the parousia (the coming of Chrtist), and that it is written that "men will see the Son of Man coming in the clouds...". That is, the people of the world. Thus, the Rapture/Parousia/Coming will be no secret event as some today might claim...

Matthew 24:27 - For as lightning that comes from the east is visible even in the west, so will be the coming (the parousia) of the Son of Man. (which as we just heard from Paul, Peter and Mark is the time of the gathering of the elect, i.e., the Church)

Matthew 24:30 "At that time the sign of the Son of Man will appear (epiphany) in the sky, and all the nations of the earth will mourn. They will see the Son of Man coming (parousia) on the clouds of the sky, with power and great glory.

So again we see here that Matthew understood that the Son of Man's coming (Parousia) would be visible to all men, just like Peter's and Mark's, and when they see the pierced one, the nations will mourn because of Him (see Zechariah 12:10). This is revealed in Mark to be when He comes to gather His elect unto Himself (the same time as the rapture). If you read it carefully without interpolation, this is exactly what Paul also says...for the Lord...will come down...and it is at this very time that

a) the dead in Christ rise (the first resurrection), and

b) the elect will be gathered unto Him
This is the word of the Lord, not conjecture, and nothing needs to be explained in light of the perspectives we have been taught...
John tells us the exact same thing in Revelation 1:7. Herein he says, "Look, he is coming (the Parousia) with the clouds, and every eye will see him, even those who pierced him; and all the peoples of the earth will mourn because of him. So shall it be! Amen. I am the Alpha and the Omega, " says the Lord God, who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty."

He also tells us in 1 John 2:28 "And now, dear children, continue in him, so that when he appears (the Epiphany) we may be confident and unashamed before him at his coming (parousia)."

So here we have the witness of four of the Apostles (Paul, Peter, Matthew, and John) as well as the testimony of Mark's teaching, that the parousia (coming in the clouds) is visible to the whole world (the epiphany) and it is a time of mourning spoken of in Zechariah 12:10. Paul, and Peter through Mark, plainly reveal that this is the time when the RAPTURE occurs. In other passages we learn it is also then (at the time of the rapture/parousia) that the Anti-Christ and God's adversaries are consumed. Which means that according to the clear word of scripture, the Church (which is raptured at the Parousia) is PRESENT on earth during the reign of the Anti-Christ.

The Prophet Zechariah also spoke of this in chapter 12:9-11 when under the unction of the Holy Spirit he declared the event as directly following the battle of Armageddon (which comes after Anti-Christ's 3 1/2 years of false peace and persecution of the saints). YHVH is speaking and He says: "It shall be in that day I will seek to destroy all the nations that come against Jerusalem. “And I will pour on the house of David and on the inhabitants of Jerusalem the Spirit of grace and supplication; then they will look on Me whom they pierced. Yes, they will mourn for Him as one mourns for his only son, and grieve for Him as one grieves for a firstborn. In that day there shall be a great mourning in Jerusalem, like the mourning at Hadad Rimmon in the plain of Megiddo."

This also refers to the armies who came against Jerusalem, who according to the scriptures (although after the rise of the Anti-Christ) will be "destroyed by the word of His mouth at His coming" (the Parousia).

In II Thessalonians 2:8 Paul teaches - "Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming (parousia) of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him (the rapture which then takes place), That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand. Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come first

a) a falling away, and

b) that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; Who opposes and exalts himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God, sits in the temple of God, showing himself that he is God.

He then goes on to say, "Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things? And now ye know what withholds that he might be revealed in his time. For the mystery of iniquity (lawlessness) does already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be out of the way. And then shall that Wicked be revealed (the man of sin, i.e., the Anti-Christ), whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming (parousia): Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders (the Anti-Christ),"

So then beloved, according to Paul as well, AFTER the AntiChrist is revealed as the abomination which makes desolate, when he has assumed the position of god on earth in the Temple of God, THEN the Lord comes and gathers us to Him (when He destroys Him by the brightness of His parousia), and this is the same time that people (all over the world) shall see Him. He destroys the enemies of God (for we will be with Him when He pours out God's wrath). Thus, it is at the Rapture/Parousia that the Anti-Christ is consumed by Christ. Hallelujah, we will be there to witness it!

So when is the Parousia? Well 1 Corinthians 15:23 tells us it happens at the same time as the resurrection of the saints, which Paul tells us about in 1 Thess 4:15-17 when it speaks of the Rapture. This means that at the Rapture, the alive are caught up, and the dead in Christ rise. In other words, this is speaking of the Parousia when the Anti-Christ (who will already have been revealed and will have set himself up in the TEMPLE) will be consumed. Thus the rapture occurs at the parousia which is before the outpouring of God's wrath!

WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 19 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by John Hale:
Sorry I insulted your god, Wild...

Proverbs 26:4 Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.

Go now and stop being so foolish.

--------------------
That is all.....

Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

What is the difference between the Rapture and the Second Coming?

342Share

difference Rapture Second Coming

Question: "What is the difference between the Rapture and the Second Coming?"

Answer: The rapture and the second coming of Christ are often confused. Sometimes it is difficult to determine whether a scripture verse is referring to the rapture or the second coming. However, in studying end-times Bible prophecy, it is very important to differentiate between the two.

The rapture is when Jesus Christ returns to remove the church (all believers in Christ) from the earth. The rapture is described in 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 and 1 Corinthians 15:50-54. Believers who have died will have their bodies resurrected and, along with believers who are still living, will meet the Lord in the air. This will all occur in a moment, in a twinkling of an eye. The second coming is when Jesus returns to defeat the Antichrist, destroy evil, and establish His millennial kingdom. The second coming is described in Revelation 19:11-16.

The important differences between the rapture and second coming are as follows:

1) At the rapture, believers meet the Lord in the air (1 Thessalonians 4:17). At the second coming, believers return with the Lord to the earth (Revelation 19:14).

2) The second coming occurs after the great and terrible tribulation (Revelation chapters 6–19). The rapture occurs before the tribulation (1 Thessalonians 5:9; Revelation 3:10).

3) The rapture is the removal of believers from the earth as an act of deliverance (1 Thessalonians 4:13-17, 5:9). The second coming includes the removal of unbelievers as an act of judgment (Matthew 24:40-41).

4) The rapture will be secret and instant (1 Corinthians 15:50-54). The second coming will be visible to all (Revelation 1:7; Matthew 24:29-30).

5) The second coming of Christ will not occur until after certain other end-times events take place (2 Thessalonians 2:4; Matthew 24:15-30; Revelation chapters 6–18). The rapture is imminent; it could take place at any moment (Titus 2:13; 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18; 1 Corinthians 15:50-54).

Why is it important to keep the rapture and the second coming distinct?

1) If the rapture and the second coming are the same event, believers will have to go through the tribulation (1 Thessalonians 5:9; Revelation 3:10).

2) If the rapture and the second coming are the same event, the return of Christ is not imminent—there are many things which must occur before He can return (Matthew 24:4-30).

3) In describing the tribulation period, Revelation chapters 6–19 nowhere mentions the church. During the tribulation—also called “the time of trouble for Jacob” (Jeremiah 30:7)—God will again turn His primary attention to Israel (Romans 11:17-31).

The rapture and second coming are similar but separate events. Both involve Jesus returning. Both are end-times events. However, it is crucially important to recognize the differences. In summary, the rapture is the return of Christ in the clouds to remove all believers from the earth before the time of God’s wrath. The second coming is the return of Christ to the earth to bring the tribulation to an end and to defeat the Antichrist and his evil world empire.

Recommended Resource: Three Views on the Rapture by Gleason L. Archer, Jr., ed..

--------------------

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John

Please quote the Old Testament scripture that says God will be born as a man, be crucified, and be raised from the dead for the salvation of Jews and Gentiles alike.

Thanks so much.

John Hale
unregistered

quote:

Scripture quote please.
John Hale
unregistered

Sorry I insulted your god, Wild...
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 19 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Cornelius R. Stam

Acts 9 view. Cornelius R. Stam taught that the church began in Acts 9, with the conversion of Paul. The "Body Church" could only begin with the beginning of Paul's ministry because Paul was the minister to the Gentiles.

Not that he cannot speak or write truth... but folks who teach error must needs be carefully watched .

And folks who falsely accuse need to be put on notice.

Are We Hyper-Dispensationalists?
By David M. Havard

Keywords: hyperdispensationalism, ultradispensationalism, dispensationalism, H. A. Ironside, Charles Baker, Pastor C. R. Stam, E. W. Bullinger, J. C. O'Hair, revelation of the mystery, body of Christ, Paul's gospel, gospel of the grace of God, Apostle Paul, rightly dividing the word of truth

Many years ago, H. A. Ironside1 published a booklet entitled Wrongly Dividing the Word of Truth in which he threw Charles Baker and C. R. Stam into the same bucket as E. W. Bullinger. Ever since then, we have been labeled as having the same extreme views as Bullinger. Men who have never looked into what we really teach continue to spread the slander started by Ironside back in the 1930's. Besides, it's much easier to label us as "hyper" and dismiss us than it is to address us based on the Scriptures.

This was recently done again in the July/August 1999 issue of Uplook magazine (published by the Plymouth Brethren). In this their Dispensationalism Issues issue, they presented an excellent overview of dispensationalism. As a matter of fact, we would agree with the majority of what was written. But then, one writer had to add this statement:

"One final word. Like all good things, the study of dispensations can be abused. There are some Christians who carry dispensationalism to such an extreme that they accept only Paul's Prison Epistles as applicable for the church today. As a result, they do not accept baptism or the Lord's Supper, since these are not found in the Prison Epistles. They also teach that Peter's gospel message was not the same as Paul's….These people are sometimes called ultra-dispensationalists or Bullingerites (after a teacher named E. W. Bullinger). Their extreme view of dispensationalism should be rejected."2

This article was then followed by the following excerpt from Ironside's book:3

"What is Bullingerism or Ultra-dispensationalism? This system was first advocated some years ago by Dr. E. W. Bullinger (1837-1913), who was educated at King's College, London, and was a clergyman in the Church of England. These views have been widely spread through the notes of the Companion Bible which he edited. Dr. Bullinger's positions are glaringly opposed to what is generally accepted as orthodox teaching. This movement has been carried forth in our day by ardent proponents such as Cornelius Stam, J. C. O'Hair and Charles Baker. [emphasis mine]

"There are a number of outstanding tenets of Ultra-dispensationalism. First, it is insisted that the four Gospels are entirely Jewish and have no real message for the Church. Secondly, it is maintained that in the book of Acts we do not have the Church, the Body of Christ, but that the word ekklesia (church), as it is used in that book refers to a different Church altogether than that of Paul's Prison Epistles. Thirdly, it is contended that Paul did not receive his special revelation of the mystery of the Body until his imprisonment in Rome, and that his Prison Epistles alone reveal this truth and are, strictly speaking, the only portion of the Holy Scriptures given to the members of His Body. All of the other epistles of Paul are relegated to an earlier dispensation and were for the instruction of the so-called Jewish Church of that time. Fourthly, the Christian ordinances, having been given before Paul, are supposed to have no real connection with the present economy, and therefore are relegated to the past, and may again have a place in the future Great Tribulation.

"Beside these points, there are many other unscriptural things which are advocated by Bullingerism. Many boldly advocate the sleep of the soul between death and resurrection, the annihilation of the wicked, the universal salvation of all men and demons, the denial of the eternal Sonship of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the denial of the personality of the Holy Spirit. All these evil doctrines find congenial soil in Bullingerism or Ultra-dispensationalism."

"But wait!" You're thinking, "I don't believe those things!" Well, neither do I, but these are their tactics. As far as most Acts 2 folks are concerned, we agree with Bullinger's far out views regarding soul sleep, annihilation of the wicked, universalism, and that the Body of Christ did not start until Acts 28. You either believe in their interpretation of dispensationalism or you are an extremist like Bullinger. They do not recognize any middle ground. This is what we are up against.

In the above quote, Ironside lists some the "outstanding tenets" of what he calls "ultra-dispensationalism." While this is a convenient label, it does not Biblically address the issues. Let us examine what Ironside said (and everyone else seems to repeat) and see if we agree or not.

"First, it is insisted that the four Gospels are entirely Jewish and have no real message for the Church": We do not believe that the four gospels have no real message for the church—Paul says that ALL Scripture is profitable. However, we do believe (because we hold to a literal historical interpretation of the Bible) that Christ's earthly ministry was in keeping with Israel's prophetic kingdom program (Matt. 10:5-6; 15:24). We find application in the gospels to be sure, but to say that the basic message of the gospels is directed to the Body of Christ is not being consistent or literal. As Scofield says in his reference Bible, "The Epistles of the Apostle Paul have a very distinctive character....Through Paul alone we know that the church is not an organization, but an organism, the Body of Christ; instinct with His life, and heavenly in calling, promise, and destiny. Through him alone we know the nature, purpose, and form of organization of local churches, and the right conduct of such gatherings. Through him alone do we know that `we shall not all sleep,' that `the dead in Christ shall rise first,' and that living saints shall be `changed' and caught up to meet the Lord in the air at His return. But to Paul was also committed the unfolding of the doctrines of grace…Paul, converted by the personal ministry of the Lord in glory, is distinctively the witness to a glorified Christ, Head over all things to the church which is His Body, as the Eleven were to Christ in the flesh." And if, according to traditional dispensationalism, the Body of Christ started at Pentecost, how can it be found retroactively in the gospels? The message that Peter preached at Pentecost was an offer of the millennial kingdom to Israel (Acts 2:22) conditional upon their repentance and recognition of Jesus as their Messiah—something that we now know will not happen until after the tribulation.

"Secondly, it is maintained that in the book of Acts we do not have the Church, the Body of Christ, but that the word ekklesia (church), as it is used in that book, refers to a different Church altogether than that of Paul's Prison Epistles": You'd think they would at least understand this! Regarding the assembly in the book of Acts, we have both "churches" mentioned, depending on the context. If you see the Body of Christ in the gospels, you are closer to a covenant position than a dispensational one. If the Body is found in the gospels, then to be consistent, it also has to be found in the Old Testament prophetic program as well. It was Bullinger (with whom we do not agree) who said that the Body of Christ did not start until the close of the book of Acts and that only Paul's prison epistles are for us today.

"Thirdly, it is contended that Paul did not receive his special revelation of the mystery of the Body until his imprisonment in Rome, and that his Prison Epistles alone reveal this truth and are, strictly speaking, the only portion of the Holy Scriptures given to the members of His Body": We do not agree with Bullinger on this point either. We do say that Paul received a special revelation (Gal. 1:11-12), but we do not agree that only his prison epistles are applicable to us today. Paul began to receive his special revelation of the mystery upon his conversion in Acts 9.

"Fourthly, the Christian ordinances, having been given before Paul, are supposed to have no real connection with the present economy, and therefore are relegated to the past, and may again have a place in the future Great Tribulation": Regarding the "ordinances" of the church, there is no place in Scripture where water baptism and the Lord's supper are linked. The Lord's Supper is a memorial that we are instructed in I Corinthians 11 to keep "until He come." However, we do feel that water baptism is a Jewish ordinance and is something that was phased out during the transition period. It is also rarely pointed out that we are not unique in understanding that water baptism is not for today. Other groups throughout church history, such as the Quakers, have also come to this same conclusion.

"Many boldly advocate the sleep of the soul between death and resurrection, the annihilation of the wicked, the universal salvation of all men and demons, the denial of the eternal Sonship of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the denial of the personality of the Holy Spirit. All these evil doctrines find congenial soil in Bullingerism or Ultra-dispensationalism": This is the worst sort of guilt by association, but I'm sure you see the implication. If you believe in a mid-Acts position, then, according to them, you also believe in these extreme and unscriptural viewpoints as well. By associating us with these cult-like beliefs we can be discredited without ever having to answer our Biblical arguments.

This is what we are up against. These are the same battles, misunderstandings, and deliberate misrepresentations that Pastor Stam has had to fight against for over 60 years—and we must continue to do so today if the gospel of the grace of God is going to continue to go forward.

Yet rather than discourage us, these things should motivate us. We know what we have found. We know how confused we used to be. We can honestly say that this is a more consistent and literal approach to Scripture. We no longer have to explain away what the Bible clearly says in verses such as Acts 2:38. We know that by reading the Body of Christ back into the gospels, we rob them of their distinctive kingdom character. By not understanding the difference we either have to make the clear statements in the gospels (such as a distinction between Jew and Gentile and water baptism) conform to Paul's epistles (where he says there is no difference between Jew and Greek, and that he is the apostle to the Gentiles) by explaining them away or we have to read the gospels into Paul's epistles and make them conform to the message in the gospels (which is what John MacArthur has done with "Lordship Salvation").

We are not the wild-eyed radicals that the theological media tries to portray us as. We are in agreement with the overwhelming majority of traditional dispensationalism. Our two primary points of disagreement are that we see the Body of Christ starting with the conversion and call of the Apostle Paul and that water baptism is not a requirement for this dispensation.

Let us stand firm in proclaiming the unique message revealed to and through the Apostle Paul. It is like telling others about our faith in Christ. We know what it has done for us. We know that it has cleared away our confusion. Let us graciously and boldly share with others what this message has done for us.

Endnotes

1. If you can find someone who has a copy of The Controversy (it's now out of print), you can read more about Ironside's history as related to the Grace Movement.

2. William MacDonald, "Distinguishing things that differ," Up-look, July/August 1999, pp. 11-12.

3. Wrongly Dividing the Word of Truth, H. A. Ironside, Loizeaux Brothers, New York, 1938.

--------------------
That is all.....

WildB
Member # 2917

quote:
The "church" ekklesia is the assembly (of faith) which is mentioned in Judaism but itself actually predates Judaism. So the "Gentile" Church is a myth. There has been a time where Gentiles predominated who was / is in the assembly (of faith). But the time of the Gentiles does not have an Acts 9 beginning. According to Hebrews 11:4 it has a Genesis 4 beginning proceeded through Judaism's Mosaic covenant and into the New Covenant.

It has always been about faith / belief and unbelief / unfaithfulness.

Gentile / Jew in the physical sense has never been the end but the means towards an end: faith in the Messiah.

Double talk = error

--------------------
That is all.....

Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

--------------------

John Hale
unregistered

The "church" ekklesia is the assembly (of faith) which is mentioned in Judaism but itself actually predates Judaism. So the "Gentile" Church is a myth. There has been a time where Gentiles predominated who was / is in the assembly (of faith). But the time of the Gentiles does not have an Acts 9 beginning. According to Hebrews 11:4 it has a Genesis 4 beginning proceeded through Judaism's Mosaic covenant and into the New Covenant.

It has always been about faith / belief and unbelief / unfaithfulness.

Gentile / Jew in the physical sense has never been the end but the means towards an end: faith in the Messiah.

John Hale
unregistered

Cornelius R. Stam

Acts 9 view. Cornelius R. Stam taught that the church began in Acts 9, with the conversion of Paul. The "Body Church" could only begin with the beginning of Paul's ministry because Paul was the minister to the Gentiles.

Not that he cannot speak or write truth... but folks who teach error must needs be carefully watched .

WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Time to Wake Up

By Cornelius R. Stam

"And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep; for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.

"The night is far spent; the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armor of light" (Rom. 13:11,12).

DAY AND NIGHT IN SCRIPTURE

Some able Bible expositors have taught that the "day" and the "night" in the above passage must be viewed in a dispensational light. The world's night, they have suggested, came with the fall of man. Then, when our Lord appeared on earth the day dawned, for He was "the Light of the world" (John 8:12). But the world, including "His own," rejected Him and night fell again as He left it and ascended to heaven. Nor will the world know the light of day again until He returns to reign.

At first sight this interpretation seems sound enough, but it does not stand the Berean test. As we search the Scriptures, we do indeed find our Lord saying to the people: "I am the Light of the world," but He adds: "he that followeth Me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life" (John 8:12). It was only His true followers, then, that did not walk in darkness, and they had "the light of life." This agrees with the inspired testimony of the Apostle John:

"In Him was life, and the life was the light of men" (John 1:4).

As to the world, which did not partake of this life, John goes on to describe how deep was the darkness of its night:

"And the light shineth in darkness, and the darkness comprehended it not" (Ver. 5).

The light shone forth but did not penetrate the dense darkness; the darkness was not diffused by it.

Indeed, so deep was the night when our Lord was on earth that God sent John the Baptist to point men to Christ, the Light.

"There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.

"The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through Him might believe" (Ver. 6,7).

It is evident, therefore, that our Lord did not dispel the world's darkness at His first coming and that, dispensationally, it was not day while He was on earth. We believe, rather, that the world's night began with the fall of man and that the darkness will not be dissipated until the second coming of Christ to judge and reign. Then the wicked will be judged and burned up as "stubble" (Malachi 4:1), but for those who fear His name:

"...the Sun of righteousness [shall] arise with healing in His wings..." (Ver. 2).

This is why He is called "the Morning Star" in those Scriptures which apply primarily to the great tribulation (Rev. 22:16 cf. II Pet. 1:19).

But what, then, does the Apostle Paul mean in Romans 13:12, where he says that "the night is far spent" and "the day is at hand"?

OUR NIGHT AND DAY

We believe that the answer to this question is that the apostle is not speaking dispensationally in Romans 13:11,12. Certainly, if the "night" of this present dispensation followed the supposed "day" of our Lord's earthly ministry, Paul could not have written that the night was "far spent." When he wrote, it had barely begun.

Rather, Romans 13:11,12 should be compared with such passages as II Corinthians 4:6:

"For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ."

Thank God, the day has dawned for the believer in Christ, though the night be dark about him! And because the day has dawned "it is high time to awake out of sleep; for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed."

Our salvation as believers in Christ is secure, but it is not yet complete. No matter how we rejoice in Christ, or how we love to testify to His grace, or how we enjoy the study of the Word, there is still more, much more to follow. The dawning of the light which has brought us so much blessing and joy will suddenly burst into full-orbed day when our Beloved comes to catch us away to Himself.

LET US NOT SLEEP

Mark well that it is not the dawn that we are waiting for. For us the day has dawned and it is the full-orbed day1 that is at hand. Could there be a better argument why we should "awake out of sleep"?

We find the same challenge forcefully presented in I Thessalonians 5. After explaining in I Thessalonians 4:16-18 how "we" shall be caught away to meet the Lord and be forever with Him, the apostle goes on in Chapter 5 to say that "the day of the Lord" will come upon this world as "a thief in the night":

"For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape" (Ver. 3).

But the apostle continues:

"But ye brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief.

"Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness" (Vers. 4,5).

And this is the sole argument upon which he bases his appeal to be awake and alert. He does not urge us to be awake to defend ourselves against the thief, for before our Lord comes as a thief, we will have been caught away. He rather says: the thief will come in the night, but "Ye are all the children of...the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness."

"Therefore let us not sleep as do others, but let us watch and be sober" (Ver. 6).

HIGH TIME TO AWAKE

We should not fail to observe the urgency of the apostle's inspired appeal in Romans 13:11,12.

"It is high time to awake....The night is far spent [all but dissipated]; the [full-orbed] day is at hand."

What a disgrace to be sleeping at so late an hour, especially when there are battles to be fought and victories to be won! Thus the vigor of his appeal to "cast off" the night clothes of indolence and to "put on the armor of light."

This armor of light is nothing less than Christ Himself, as indicated in Verse 14:

"But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof."

Believers are already "in Christ" positionally, but we must "put Him on" experientially (See Col. 3:8-14).

In Ephesians 5:8 the apostle says: "For ye were sometime [once] darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light." And as we thus "put on the Lord Jesus Christ" and "walk in the light," we find that the light is an armor to protect us from sin and to defend us against Satan, who would overcome us and put us to flight.

AWAKE AND ARISE

Finally, while Romans 13:11 bids us "awake out of sleep," Ephesians 5:14 bids us "awake...and arise from [among] the dead." Believers have already been raised from the dead with Christ by grace (Eph. 2:4-6). Too often, however, they are fast asleep—asleep to their responsibilities and opportunities, asleep to the need and the challenge of the hour. Are such Christians of any greater use to God or men than those who are still "dead in trespasses and sins"?

Thus the apostle exhorts:

"Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from [among] the dead, and Christ shall give thee light [or, be to thee a light].

"See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise,

"Redeeming [buying up] the time, because the days are evil.

"Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is" (Eph. 5:14-17).

Endnote

1. This is the meaning in the Greek.

--------------------
That is all.....

John Hale
unregistered

Interesting all points seem to skirt the issue of a secret rapture. I believe the scriptures indicate it will be a secret rapture indeed... but not the way that has been discussed here.

Jesus warned about claims of his secret return:

Matthew 24:24-27 (KJV)
24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.
25 Behold, I have told you before.
26 Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not.
27 For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

What will be secret about the rapture is the preceding persecution of the Body Christian will be so intense as to drive believers underground again. And so thorough will this system of tracking / census taking be with the mark of the beast and the one people on earth who refuse to take it (and cannot buy or sell food or shelter) and the numbers by the middle of the 70th Week of Daniel will be so few who survive to that point... and so deep in hiding... Christians most likely will be thought to have been exterminated already by the time the rapture takes place...

They won't even be missed...

And the rapture is not so much a deliverance from the persecutions of the devil and mankind but from the wrath of God about to be unleashed on the devil and mankind.

John Hale
unregistered

[wiggle7] [rapture]
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Revelation 19

Marriage of the Lamb to His Bride
The Coming of Christ to Earth with His Bride
Doom of the Beast and False Prophet

Revelation 20

Satan Bound for a Thousand Years
Saints Reign with Christ for a Thousand Years
Satan Freed, Doomed to Lake of Fire
Judgment of the Unsaved Dead at the Throne of God

Revelation 21

The New Heaven and Earth
The New Jerusalem

Bloodbought
Advanced Member
Member # 4365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bloodbought     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This, as far as I know, is the final move for the bride of Christ.

Rev 21:1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.
2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God

Posts: 822 | From: Ireland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

The Church is the Bride of Christ. He will come for us and take us to His Father's house.

...In my Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto Myself, that where I am, there ye may be also. (John 14:1-3)

ANALOGY OF THE JEWISH WEDDING CUSTOM

The first major step in a Jewish marriage was Betrothal. This established the marriage covenant.

Jesus established an eternal covenant through His blood. His Holy Spirit is the "ring" (if you will) - sealing the bride with a guarantee that He will return for her. (Hebrews 13:20, Luke 22:20, *Ephesians 1:13)

The Jewish bridegroom took the initiative in marriage by leaving his father's house and traveling to the home of the prospective bride.

So Jesus left His Father's house in heaven and traveled to the earth; the home of His prospective Church (bride) [John 6:32-33;51]. Jesus came to earth to obtain the church (bride) through the establishment of a covenant.

On the same night Jesus made His promise in John 14, He instituted communion. In this communion, he passed the cup of wine to the disciples saying: "This cup is the new covenant in My blood." (1 Corinthians 1:25)

At the home of the prospective bride, the Jewish bridegroom would negotiate with her father to determine the price (mohar) that he must pay to purchase his bride.

Jesus paid a price to purchase the church (bride). The price He paid was His life blood. (Acts 20:28, 1 Corinthians 6:19-20)

Once the bridegroom paid the purchase price, the marriage covenant was established, and the young man and woman were regarded as husband and wife. From that moment on, the bride was declared to be consecrated or sanctified; set apart exclusively for her bridegroom.

So the church is said to be sanctified and set apart exclusively for Christ. (Ephesians 5:25-27, 1 Corinthians1:2; 6:11, Hebrews 10:10;13:12)

As a symbol of the covenant relationship, the groom and bride would drink from a cup of wine over which a betrothal benediction had been pronounced.

The cup of communion serves as the symbol of the covenant through which Christ has obtained the church (bride). (1 Corinthians11:25)

After the marriage covenant was established, the groom would leave the bride's home and return to his father's house. There he would remain separate from his bride for a period of 12 months.

Just as the Jewish groom left the home of his bride and returned to his father's house, so Jesus left the earth, the home of the church (bride) and returned to His Father's house in heaven after He'd established the new covenant and risen from the dead. The church is currently living in this this period of separation awaiting Christ's return. (John 6:62; 20:17)

During this period of separation between the Jewish bride and groom, the bride would use this time to gather her trousseau and prepare for her married life. The groom occupied himself with the preparation of living accommodations in his father's house where he would bring his bride.

Parallel to the custom of the Jewish groom preparing living accommodations for his bride in his father's house, Christ as been preparing living accommodations for the church in His Father's house in heaven. (John 14:2)

At the end of the period of separation, the groom would come to take his bride to live with him. The taking of the bride usually took place at night.

So Christ will come to take the church (bride) to live with Him at the end of the separation period. (John 14:3)

The groom, best man and other male escorts would leave the Jewish groom's father's house and conduct a torch light procession to the home of the bride.

Just as the taking of the Jewish bride was accomplished by a procession of the groom and male escorts from the father's house to the bride's house, so the taking of the church (bride) will be accomplished by a procession of Christ and an angelic escort from heaven to the home of the church. (1 Thessalonians 4:16)

Although the Jewish bride was expecting her groom to come for her, she did not know the exact time of his coming.

So the church (bride) does not know the exact time of Christ's coming for her. (Matthew 25:1-13, Revelation 3:2-3;11)

As a result of the bride not knowing the exact time the groom would come for her, the groom's arrival would be preceded by a shout. This shout would forewarn the bride to be prepared for the coming of the groom.

So Christ's arrival will be preceded by a shout. (1 Thessalonians 4:16)

After the Jewish groom received his bride together with her female attendants, the enlarged wedding party would return from the bride's home to the groom's father's house.

Similarly, the church (bride) will return with Christ to His Father's house in heaven after she is taken from the earth to meet Him. (1 Thessalonians 4:17, John 14:2-3)

Upon arrival there, the wedding party would find that the wedding guests had assembled already.

In the same manner, Christ and the church (bride) will find the soul of Old Testament saints assembled in heaven when they arrive. These souls serve as the wedding guests.

Shortly after arrival, the bride (remaining veiled) and groom would be escorted by the other members of the wedding party to the bridal chamber (huppah)

While the groomsmen and bridesmaids would wait outside, the bride and groom would enter the bridal chamber alone. There in the privacy of that place they would enter into physical union for the first time ~ consummating the marriage that was covenanted earlier.

Parallel to the custom of the Jewish groom and bride entering into physical union after their arrival and thereby consummating the marriage that was covenanted earlier, Christ and the church (bride) will experience spiritual union after their arrival in heaven; thereby consummating their relationship covenanted earlier.

After the marriage was consummated, the groom would announce the consummation to the other members of the wedding party waiting outside the chamber. These people would in turn pass this news on to the wedding guests. Upon hearing this good news, the wedding guests would begin the feast and make merry for the next 7 days.

During those 7 days of the wedding festivities (sometimes called "the 7 days of huppah"), the bride remained hidden in the bridal chamber.

In correspondence with the Jewish bride remaining hidden in the bridal chamber for 7 days after arrival at the groom's father's house, the church (bride) will remain hidden for a period of 7 years after arrival in heaven.

While the 7 year tribulation period is taking place on earth, the church will be hidden from the sight of those living on the earth.

At the conclusion of the 7 days, the groom would bring his bride out of the bridal chamber, now with her veil removed, so that all could see who his bride was.

So Christ will bring the Church (Bride) out of heaven in His second coming at the conclusion of the 7-year tribulation period in full view of all who are alive, so that all can see who the true Church (Bride) is. (Colossians 3:4, Jude 14)

http://www.his-forever.com/jewish_weddings_rapture.htm

Bloodbought
Advanced Member
Member # 4365

Hi Carol,

I want to thank you for posting this article,

“JEWISH MARRIAGE CUSTOMS

Behold, The Bridegroom Comes!”

Interesting read.

However, it is forcing an interpretation on end time events that are not there.

At the sounding of the shofar the entire wedding processional would go through the streets of the city to the bride's house, not the fathers house.

"The coming of the Bridegroom and the Wedding Begins
Since the time of his arrival was a surprise - the bride and her bridal party were always to be ready - this is the background of Yeshua's parable (Mat. 25:1-13). It was customary for one of the grooms party to go ahead of the bridegroom, leading the way to the bride's house - and shout - "Behold, the bridegroom comes." This would be followed by the sounding of the shofar. At the sounding of the shofar the entire wedding processional would go through the streets of the city to the bride's house. The groomsmen would again set up the huppah:
· Again the couple would say a blessing over the cup of wine.
· The ceremony finalized the promises and vows.
The pinnacle of this joyful celebration was the marriage supper:
· It was much more than just a sit down dinner for all the guests.
· It included seven full days of food, music, dance and celebration - (Jn. 14:10-12).
· After the festivities the husband was free to bring his bride to their new home to live together as husband and wife in the full covenant of marriage."
http://messianicfellowship.50webs.com/wedding.html

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
No where in scripture does it say, “He and His Bride return to His Father's house, heaven.” It says, so shall we ever be with the Lord.

JEWISH MARRIAGE CUSTOMS

Behold, The Bridegroom Comes!

Dr. Renald Showers, Chairman of the Pastoral Studies Dept. Philadelphia College of Bible (year unknown) Distributed by, The Friends of Israel Gospel Ministry, Inc., W. Collingswood, N.J.

The Comforting Promise

It was a night of destiny. Jesus had gathered with His disciples in the Upper Room. In a few more hours He would be crucified on a cross. Jesus had been warning His disciples concerning His coming death, resurrection and ascension to heaven. The prospect of these events caused the disciples to be greatly disturbed. In order to ease their fears, Jesus made the following comforting promise:

Let not your heart be troubled: you believe in God, Believe also in me. In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there you may be also. (John 14:1-3.)

Jewish Marriage Customs

Those who live in the modern western world do not catch the full significance of Jesus' promise. This is due to the fact that in His promise Jesus was drawing an analogy from Jewish marriage customs in biblical times. Since this is so, those marriage customs must be examined if one is to grasp the significance of the promise.

The first major step in a Jewish marriage was betrothal.1 Betrothal involved the establishment of a marriage covenant. By Jesus' time it was usual for such a covenant to be established as the result of the prospective bridegroom taking the initiative.2 The prospective bridegroom would travel from his father's house to the home of the prospective bride. There he would negotiate with the father of the young woman to determine the price (mohar) that he must pay to purchase his bride.3 Once the bridegroom paid the purchase price, the marriage covenant was thereby established, and the young man and woman were regarded to be husband and wife.4 From that moment on the bride was declared to be consecrated or sanctified, set apart exclusively for her bridegroom.5 As a symbol of the covenant relationship that had been established, the groom and bride would drink from a cup of wine over which a betrothal benediction had been pronounced.6

After the marriage covenant had been established, the groom would leave the home of the bride and return to his father's house. There he would remain separate from his bride for a period of twelve months.7 This period of separation afforded the bride time to gather her trousseau and to prepare for married life.8 The groom occupied himself with the preparation of living accommodations in his father's house to which he could bring his bride.

At the end of the period of separation the groom would come to take his bride to live with him. The taking of the bride usually took place at night. The groom, best man and other male escorts would leave the groom's father's house and conduct a torch light procession to the home of the bride.9 Although the bride was expecting her groom to come for her, she did not know the exact time of his coming.10 As a result the groom's arrival would be preceded by a shout.11 This shout would forewarn the bride to be prepared for the coming of the groom.

After the groom received his bride together with her female attendants, the enlarged wedding party would return from the bride's home to the groom's father's house.12 Upon arrival there the wedding party would find that the wedding guests had assembled already.

Shortly after arrival the bride and groom would be escorted by the other members of the wedding party to the bridal chamber (huppah). Prior to entering the chamber the bride remained veiled so that no one could see her face.13 While the groomsmen and bridesmaids would wait outside, the bride and groom would enter the bridal chamber alone. There in the privacy of that place they would enter into physical union for the first time, thereby consummating the marriage that had been covenanted earlier.14

After the marriage was consummated, the groom would announce the consummation to the other members of the wedding party waiting outside the chamber (John 3:29). These people would pass on the news of the marital union to the wedding guests.15 Upon receiving this good news the wedding guests would feast and make merry for the next seven days.16

During the seven days of the wedding festivities, which were sometimes called "the seven days of the huppah," the bride remained hidden in the bridal chamber.17 At the conclusion of these seven days the groom would bring his bride out of the bridal chamber, now with her veil removed, so that all could see who his bride was.

The Examination of the Analogy

Earlier it was stated that in His promise in John 14 Jesus drew an analogy from Jewish marriage customs in biblical times. Now that the marriage customs have been considered, it is essential that the analogy be examined. In what ways was Jesus' promise analogous with Jewish marriage customs? In the examination of the analogy the first thing that should be noted is the fact that the Scriptures regard the Church to be the Bride of Christ (Eph. 5:22-23). In addition, just as the Jewish bridegroom took the initiative in marriage by leaving his father's house and travelling to the home of the prospective bride, so Jesus left His Father's house in heaven and travelled to earth, the home of His prospective Church, over 1900 years ago.

In the same manner as the Jewish bridegroom came to the bride's home for the purpose of obtaining her through the establishment of a marriage covenant, so Jesus came to earth for the purpose of obtaining the Church through the establishment of a covenant. On the same night in which Jesus made His promise in John 14 He instituted communion. As He passed the cup of wine to His disciples, He said: "This cup is the new covenant in my blood" (1 Cor. 11:25). This was His way of saying that He would establish a new covenant through the shedding of His blood on the cross. Parallel to the custom of the Jewish groom paying a price to purchase his bride, Jesus paid a price to purchase His bride, the Church. The price that He paid was His own life blood. It was because of this purchase price that Paul wrote the following to members of the Church: "know ye not that...ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and your spirit, which are God's" (1 Cor. 6:19-20).

Analogous with the Jewish bride being declared to be sanctified or set apart exclusively for her groom once the marriage covenant was established, the Church has been declared to be sanctified or set apart exclusively for Christ (Eph. 5:25-27; 1Cor. 1:2; 6:11; Heb. 10:10; 13:12).

In the same way that a cup of wine served as a symbol of the marriage covenant through which the Jewish groom obtained his bride, so the cup of communion serves as the symbol of the covenant through which Christ has obtained the Church (1 Cor. 11:25).

Just as the Jewish groom left the home of his bride and returned to his father's house after the marriage covenant had been established, so Jesus left the earth, the home of the Church, and returned to His Father's house in heaven after He had established the new covenant and risen from the dead (John 6:62; 20:17).

Corresponding with the period of separation between the Jewish groom and bride, Christ has remained separate from the Church for over 1900 years. The Church is now living in that period of separation.

Parallel to the custom of the Jewish groom preparing living accommodations for his bride in his father's house during the time of separation, Christ has been preparing living accommodations for the Church in His Father's house in heaven during His separation from His Bride (John 14:2).

In the same manner as the Jewish groom came to take his bride to live with him at the end of the period of separation, so Christ will come to take His Church to live with Him at the end of His period of separation from the Church (John 14:3).

Just as the taking of the Jewish bride was accomplished by a procession of the groom and male escorts from the groom's father's house to the home of the bride, so the taking of the Church will be accomplished by a procession of Christ and an angelic escort from Christ's Father's house in heaven to the home of the Church (1 Thess. 4:16).

Analogous with the Jewish bride not knowing the exact time of the groom's coming for her, the Church does not know the exact time of Christ's coming for her.

In the same way that the Jewish groom's arrival was preceded by a shout, so Christ's arrival to take the Church will be preceded by a shout (1 Thess. 4:16).

Similar to the Jewish bride's return with the groom to his father's house after her departure from her home, the Church will return with Christ to His Father's house in heaven after she is snatched from the earth to meet Him in the air (1 Thess. 4:17; John 14:2-3).

In the same manner as the Jewish wedding party found wedding guests assembled in the groom's father's house when they arrived, so Christ and the Church will find the souls of Old Testament saints assembled in heaven when they arrive. These souls will serve as the wedding guests.

Parallel to the custom of the Jewish groom and bride entering into physical union after their arrival at the groom's father's house, thereby consummating the marriage that had been covenanted earlier, Christ and the Church will experience spiritual union after their arrival at His Father's house in heaven, thereby consummating their relationship that had been covenanted earlier.

Corresponding with the Jewish bride remaining hidden in the bridal chamber for a period of seven days after arrival at the groom's father's house, the Church will remain hidden for a period of seven after arrival at Christ's Father's house in heaven. While the seven year Tribulation Period is taking place on the earth, the Church will be in heaven totally hidden from the sight of those living on the earth.

Just as the Jewish groom brought his bride out of the bridal chamber at the conclusion of the seven days with her veil removed, so that all could see who his bride was, so Christ will bring His Church out of heaven in His Second Coming at the conclusion of the seven year Tribulation Period in full view of all who are alive, so that all can see who the true church is (Col. 3:4).

http://www.biblestudymanuals.net/jewish_marriage_customs.htm

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

quote:
The air is the only safe place for the saints until the new heavens and new earth are established.

John 14:2 - 3 (NASB)
In My Father’s house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you. If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also.

According to Jesus, heaven is a real place. It is not a product of religious imagination or the result of a psyched-up mentality, looking for “pie in the sky by and by.” Heaven is the place where God dwells and where Jesus sits today at the right hand of the Father. Heaven is described as a kingdom (2 Peter 1:11), an inheritance (1 Peter 1:4), a country (Heb. 11:16), a city (Heb. 11:16), and a home (John 14:2).

The word Father is used fifty-three times in John 13-17. Heaven is “My Father’s house,” according to the Son of God. It is “home” for God’s children! Some years ago, a London newspaper held a contest to determine the best definition of “home.” The winning entry was, “Home is the place where you are treated the best and complain the most.” The poet Robert Frost said that home is the place that, when you arrive there, they have to take you in. A good definition!

The Greek word mone is translated “mansions” in John 14:2 and “abode” in John 14:23. It simply means “rooms, abiding places,” so we must not think in terms of manor houses. It is unfortunate that some unbiblical songs have perpetuated the error that faithful Christians will have lovely mansions in glory, while worldly saints will have to be content with little cottages or even shacks. Jesus Christ is now preparing places for all true believers, and each place will be beautiful. When He was here on earth, Jesus was a carpenter (Mark 6:3). Now that He has returned to glory, He is building a church on earth and a home for that church in heaven.

John 14:3 is a clear promise of our Lord’s return for His people. Some will go to heaven through the valley of the shadow of death, but those who are alive when Jesus returns will never see death (John 11:25-26). They will be changed to be like Christ and will go to heaven (1 Thes. 4:13-18).

Since heaven is the Father’s house, it must be a place of love and joy. When the Apostle John tried to describe heaven, he almost ran out of symbols and comparisons! (Rev. 21-22) Finally, he listed the things that would not be there: death, sorrow, crying, pain, night, etc. What a wonderful home it will be—and we will enjoy it forever!

Nobody more eagerly awaited a better home than did Paul! He wanted to be in heaven so badly that he wrote, "Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do: forgetting those things which lie behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead. I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. . . For our citizenship is in heaven, from which also we eagerly wait for a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ; who will transform the body of our humble state into conformity with the body of His glory, by the exertion of the power that He has even to subject all things to Himself" (Phil. 3:13,14,20,21).

Paul, even as Abraham, "was looking for a city which hath the foundations, whose architect and builder is God" (Heb. 11:10). He desired "a better country, that is a heavenly one" (Heb. 11:16). All of this explains why Paul could "give up" the religion of his childhood and endure patiently all hardships (Gal. 1:13-16). When compared to the glory to be revealed, he counted all these things as "dung" in order that he might gain Christ (Phil. 3:4-11).

Bloodbought
Advanced Member
Member # 4365

quote:
The Saint U-Turn
In the pre-trib scenario, after we rise to meet the Lord in the air, we will go to heaven and abide there seven years. At the end of that period, Christ will come down to earth, defeat the Antichrist, and cleanse the temple. In a post-trib rapture, we would rise in the air to meet the Lord, then do a 180-degree U-turn and come back down to earth. Revelation 1:7 states that Christ will appear out of the clouds and come down to earth. Zechariah 14:4 says that His feet will stand on the Mount of Olives. If He's already headed our way, why would we need to be caught up to meet Him?

The air is the only safe place for the saints until the new heavens and new earth are established.

2 Pet 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,
12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?
13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement