Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Sabbath, saturday or sunday? (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Sabbath, saturday or sunday?
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Icon 1 posted      Profile for barrykind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow ya'll sure have some great topics [Smile]

Sister Carol Quoted The International Standard Bible Encyclopedia:

quote:
[B][This is from the International Standard Bible Encyclopedia

Paul and the Sabbath:

The early Christians kept the 7th day as a Sabbath, much after the fashion of other Jews. Gradually the 1st day of the week came to be recognized as the day on which the followers of Jesus would meet for worship. The resurrection of our Lord on that day made it for Christians the most joyous day of all the week. When Gentiles were admitted into the church, the question at once arose whether they should be required to keep the Law of Moses. It is the glory of Paul that he fought for and won freedom for his Gentile fellow-Christians. It is significant of the attitude of the apostles that the decrees of the Council at Jerusalem made no mention of Sabbath observance in the requirements laid upon Gentile Christians (Acts 15:28 f). Paul boldly contended that believers in Jesus, whether Jew or Gentile, were set free from the burdens of the Mosaic Law/B]

This Encyclopedia is so far off base it must be refuted:

Commentary & Research James Paul Gerke Director

There are controversial subjects that the main stream Christian churches, have ignored
for over 1500 years. One of them, is The Ten Commandments, including The Seventh
Day Sabbath. Many believe that they have been done away with, or changed. You may
decide after reading this.
In the fourth century A.D. The Christian Church took a left turn. King Constantine changed
The 7th Day Sabbath worship to the first day of the week.

Keeping The Sabbath and The Ten Commandments is NOT unto salvation. Modeling
your life after them, will show your love, and obedience to Elohim. Your rewards in
heaven, maybe based on that. Yahshua said “ If you love Me, Keep My
Commandments“. (John 14:15)

This document is not linked to any one, denomination, although some do adhere to The
Ten Commandments. The writings here, will prove the validity of The Commandments
and The Sabbath. This will be done by showing scriptures that don’t have to be
interpreted, which will stand on their own.

Vague scriptures they choose, are for people who are inclined to put their own spin on
them. Most of the scriptures given, are after Yahshua was crucified. The reason is: many
are taught and believe that The Commandments, and The Seventh Day Sabbath,
were symbolically nailed to the cross. If they were, the following scriptures would not be
in the Bible.
(Luke 23:56) The women rested on The Sabbath, according to The Commandment.
(After His death.) (Mark 16:1) When The Sabbath was past, the women brought spices
to the tomb.

(Acts 13:14,15) Paul went into a synagogue on The Sabbath. The Law and the
Prophets were read. (Acts 13:27) The Prophets were read Every Sabbath.
Acts 14:42 The Gentiles begged the Apostles to preach to them on the next Sabbath.

Acts 13:44 Almost the whole city came to hear the word of Elohim on The Sabbath
(Acts 16:13) The Apostles went out of the city on The Sabbath, and preached to the
women. (Acts 17:2) Paul went into a synagogue and preached for Three Sabbaths to
the Thessalonians.

(Acts 18:4) Paul preached in Corinth’s synagogue Every Sabbath to the Israelites and
Greeks. (Acts 18:11) Paul continued there for a year and a half, teaching the Word of
Elohim. (That would amount to 78 Sabbaths.)
(Mark 2:27) Yahshua said “The Sabbath was made for Israel, and not Israel for The
Sabbath. “Oh!! excuse me,” Yahshua Messiah said “The Sabbath was made for
MANKIND.”

(Matthew 12:8) Yahshua said, “He is Master of The Sabbath Day.”
(Hebrews 13:8) “Yahshua Messiah is the same yesterday, and today, and for ever. ”
(Acts 1:12) The Apostles returned to Jerusalem, from a Sabbaths Day journey.

(Isaiah 58:13,14) Elohim said, “If you turn away your foot from The Sabbath. From
doing your own pleasure on My Holy Day, and call The Sabbath a delight. The Holy Day
of Yehovah Honorable, and Shall honor Him, not doing your own ways. Nor finding
your own pleasure, nor speaking your words. Then you shall delight yourself in the Lord.”

(Romans 10:12) There is no difference between Israelites and Greeks. (Gentiles) The
same Lord Over all, is rich unto all that call upon Him.
(Heb 4:9,10,11) “Therefore, there remains A Rest for the people of Elohim. For he who
has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works, as Elohim did from His.
Therefore be diligent to enter That Rest, lest anyone fall after the example of
disobedience”

“One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike”
(Romans 14:5) It doesn’t say anything, about The Sabbath, 10 Commandments
resting, or The law. These are the type of vague scriptures that people use, to put on
their own spin. They will try to refute, all the many scriptures, that prove the truth.

The Apostle Paul said “For I speak to you Gentiles; in as much as I am an Apostle to the
Gentiles. I magnify my ministry” (Romans 11:13) The Gentiles were mentioned about 100
Times in the New Testament. Most of the people, Paul preached to were Gentiles.
Would it not make sense, that he would have taught them, that The Law and The
Sabbath were done away with? As it was, the Gentiles craved his preaching on The
Sabbath.

Today’s church reasoning for changing to Sunday worship is: The Apostles came
together on that first day of the week to break bread, and Paul preached to Them. (Acts
20:7) Paul said nothing about change, that was ever noted in the Bible. As far as we
know, the scriptures show that Paul preached on Sunday only once.

Theologians say, “ We keep Sunday because, Yahshua rose on that day.” Again, no
authority to change it. In Daniel’s prophesy (Daniel 9:26,27) This was a double prophecy.
In 26 it talks about the 70 weeks (plural) Prophecy, when Yahshua was to be cut off
(killed). In 27 it talks about the sacrifices ending in the middle of the week (singular) The
Messiah was the Sacrificial Lamb.

The Bible week has always been seven days, and the middle of the week we now call
Wednesday. Do the math, Wednesday afternoon: to Saturday afternoon, is three days,
and three nights, just as Messiah predicted. (Matthew 12:40) The Israelites wanted
Yahshua taken off the cross that afternoon, after He died. It was preparation day for the
High Sabbath. The first day of Passover is a High Sabbath, (John 19:31) and no work
is to be done.

There were Two Sabbaths in that week: Thursday, Saturday and a preparation day for
each one. The Apostles and the women, didn’t visit the tomb again, until Sunday
morning. It was dark when they arrived, and no one witnessed the Messiah’s resurrection.
(John 20:1)

That morning: two people were walking, when Yahshua came upon them and asked, what
they were talking about? One said: “Are you a stranger? The Messiah was crucified, and
this is the third day this was done.” (Luke 24:17-21)

Remember, a day, is still a day and a night, which is 24 hours. The following explanation
ties it all together. “ When Yahshua was risen, early the first day of the week, He
appeared to Mary.” (Mark 16:9) Punctuations were not added to the Bible until the 9th
century A.D. In the 1611 Bible edition, the comma was put after early.

In the modern day Bible, it was put after the word week. Apparently those translators
weren’t inspired of Elohim. When the comma is put after the word risen. This proves
that all the factual evidence shows. Yahshua Messiah had already risen just before sun
down on Saturday night. In the Bible and Israelite tradition, sun down to sun down is a
day.

Would the Messiah be resurrected in the dark, when the Bible compares it to evil? (John
3:19,20) Would the Messiah be resurrected on a day that the pagans were worshiping the
sun god on pagan Easter? Or would Yahshua be resurrected on a day that was
Sanctified, Blessed, Hallowed, and written in stone by our Creator Elohim? Not a difficult
choice.

The Sabbath is the Fourth Commandment, and the last book of the Bible says. Keep
Elohim's 10 Commandments, (Revelations 12:17- 14:12- 22:14) Yahshua and the
Apostles kept them. There are no scriptures or authority in the Bible, that changes the 7th
Day Sabbath for another, or eliminates it.

They say, the days of the week have been changed over the centuries. Not so, only the
dates have been changed. An example is the leap year, we change only the date and not
the days of the week. The Israelites have never lost sight of The 7th Day Sabbath.
(Romans 3:2)

Some say: “We can keep any day we want for The Sabbath. Elohim was very emphatic
on which day, and how The Sabbath is to be kept. Elohim said. “Remember THE
Seventh Day, not A seventh day. “There remains a rest for the people of Elohim: for he
who has entered His rest, has also ceased from his works, as Elohim did from His” (Heb
4:9-11)

The following can’t be emphasized enough.Elohim said three times in the Old Testament,
and three times in the New. “If you love Me. You will Keep The Commandments.”
(Exodus 20:6) (Deuteronomy 5:10) (Nehemiah 1:5) (John 11:15) ( 1 John 5:2,3)

Some won’t accept all Bible teaching, you have to make a decision. The Big problem for
most, is That Sabbath. “Why should I give up: Friday night T.V, or the movies, Saturday
swap meets, shopping, or the beach after? I have work, and things to do on Saturdays. I
would have to change my whole life style. Just because the CREATOR of the universe:
inspired words to be written down, in a book thousands of years ago, called the Bible.

“Be doers of the WORD, and not hearers, only deceiving Yourselves.” (James 1:22)
Why do I keep the Sabbath? Because it's a day that I can show Elohim that I love Him.
You May say that you can love Him everyday, which is true. Elohim said "If you love Me,
keep the Commandments", and Honor Him on the Sabbath Day.

There are people that honor Elohim on Sunday, Which is wonderful, as any day you
honor Him. The one problem is that Elohim did not sanctify it or make it Holy. It is not
that it's evil to keep Sunday for the sabbath. It is just that Elohim did not make it a Holy
Day unto Elohim.

People want to keep the sabbath on Sunday, because their preacher told them to. When
you get right down to it. It started at the seminary, but even before that, it started around
the fourth century. We all know that the Catholic Church changed the Sabbath to the first
day of the week.

What I can't figure out is why they don't believe the Bible. The apostle Paul in Acts
preached over 80 times on the Seventh Day Sabbath. The Protestants have protested
the Catholic churches doctrines, so why do they keep following their doctrines? I wish
that someday they would wake up and smell the roses. Actually, I mean when they start
reading the Bible.

In the past I have given my email at the top of the page. I received hate emails from
people I knew, didn't read the document, by their comments. I assume you have, and if
you will give constructive criticism without hate, I would gladly reply. bottomlinez@yahoo.
com

Proverbs

Do not withhold good from those whom it is due. When it is in the power of your hand to
do so. Do not say to your neighbor go and come back, and tomorrow I will give it when
you have it with you. The Lord said to give attention to my words incline your ear to my
sayings. Do not let them depart from your eyes keep them in the middle of your heart,
for they are life to those who find them and health to all their flesh. Put away from you, a
deceitful full mouth and put perverse lips far from you, let your eyes look straight ahead.
And your eyelids look right before you. Ponder the path of your feet and let all your ways
be established do not turn to the right or the left. Remove your foot from evil.
James Paul Gerke Director

--------------------
The HEART of the issue is truly the issue of the HEART!
John 3:3;Mark 8:34-38;James 1:27

Posts: 3529 | From: Orange, Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Betty! [hug] [wave3] [hug]

This is from the International Standard Bible Encyclopedia

Paul and the Sabbath:

The early Christians kept the 7th day as a Sabbath, much after the fashion of other Jews. Gradually the 1st day of the week came to be recognized as the day on which the followers of Jesus would meet for worship. The resurrection of our Lord on that day made it for Christians the most joyous day of all the week. When Gentiles were admitted into the church, the question at once arose whether they should be required to keep the Law of Moses. It is the glory of Paul that he fought for and won freedom for his Gentile fellow-Christians. It is significant of the attitude of the apostles that the decrees of the Council at Jerusalem made no mention of Sabbath observance in the requirements laid upon Gentile Christians (Acts 15:28 f). Paul boldly contended that believers in Jesus, whether Jew or Gentile, were set free from the burdens of the Mosaic Law. Even circumcision counted for nothing, now that men were saved by believing in Jesus (Gal 5:6). Christian liberty as proclaimed by Paul included all days and seasons. A man could observe special days or not, just as his own judgment and conscience might dictate (Rom 14:5 f); but in all such matters one ought to be careful not to put a stumblingblock in a brother’s way (Rom 14:13 ff). That Paul contended for personal freedom in respect of the Sabbath is made quite clear in Col 2:16 f, where he groups together dietary laws, feast days, new moons and sabbaths. The early Christians brought over into their mode of observing the Lord’s Day the best elements of the Jewish Sabbath, without its onerous restrictions.)

Sunday, however, was sharply distinguished from the Sabbath. One was the day on which worship was offered in a specifically Christian form, the other was a day of ritual rest to be observed by all who were subject to the Law of Moses through circumcision (Gal 5:3; compare Acts 21:20). Uncircumcised Gentiles, however, were free from any obligation of Sabbath observance, and it is quite certain that in apostolic times no renewal of any Sabbath rules or transfer of them to Sunday was made for Gentile converts. No observance of a particular “day of rest” is contained among the “necessary things” of Acts 15:28, 29, nor is any such precept found among all the varied moral directions given in the whole epistolary literature. Quite on the contrary, the observance of a given day as a matter of Divine obligation is denounced by Paul as a forsaking of Christ (Gal 4:10), and Sabbath-keeping is condemned explicitly in Col 2:16. As a matter of individual devotion, to be sure, a man might do as he pleased (Rom 14:5, 6), but no general rule as necessary for salvation could be compatible with the liberty wherewith Christ has made us free. Evidently, then, the fact that the Christian worship was held on Sunday did not sanctify Sunday any more than (say) a regular Wednesday service among us sanctifies Wednesday, noting especially that the apostolic service was held in the evening. For it was felt that Christian enthusiasm would raise every day to the highest religious plane, the decay of that enthusiasm through the long delay of the Parousia not being contemplated.

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right on! Carol

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jesus Christ is our Sabbath.

The writer of Hebrews mentions three different "rests":

(1) God’s Sabbath rest, when He ceased from His Creation activities (Gen. 2:2; Heb. 4:4); (2) Israel’s rest in Canaan (Deut. 12:9; Josh. 21:43-45; Heb. 3:11). But he saw in these “rests” illustrations of the spiritual experiences of believers today. The Sabbath rest is a picture of our rest in Christ through salvation (Heb. 4:3; see Matt. 11:28). The Canaan rest is a picture of our present rest as we claim our inheritance in Christ (Heb. 4:11-13; note the emphasis on the Word of God). The first is the rest of salvation; the second is the rest of submission.

But there is a third rest that enters into the discussion, that future rest that all believers will enjoy with God. “There remaineth, therefore, a rest to the people of God” (Heb. 4:9). This word for rest is the Greek word sabbatismos—“a keeping of a Sabbath”—and this is the only place in the New Testament where this word is used. When the saints enter heaven, it will be like sharing God’s great Sabbath rest, with all labors and battles ended (Rev. 14:13).

(Wiersbe)

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sha'ul
Advanced Member
Member # 8294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sha'ul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What day is the real Sabbath and why?
Posts: 32 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement