Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Sabbath, saturday or sunday? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Sabbath, saturday or sunday?
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Icon 1 posted      Profile for barrykind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
im not sure your point sister?

--------------------
The HEART of the issue is truly the issue of the HEART!
John 3:3;Mark 8:34-38;James 1:27

Posts: 3529 | From: Orange, Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not the Pauline Dispensation, but the Dispensation of Grace

When studying any Bible passage, it is always very important to understand the context of the passage. If we do not understand the context of a passage, we will often misunderstand the passage itself. One aspect of the context which is often overlooked is the dispensation. God has provided His Word in the Bible in several different dispensations. Every Bible passage is written in the context of one dispensation or another. Therefore, proper understanding of the different dispensations is needed in order to understand the context of each Bible passage. After becoming aware of this need, many Bible students will then ask about how they can determine which dispensation any particular Bible passage is under, so that they can more fully comprehend the context of the passage. These questions are the focus of several of the articles on this web site, which cover this subject in detail, including The Basics of Understanding the Bible, Israel's Kingdom Gospel and Our Grace Gospel, and The Seven Churches of Revelation. In addition to these articles, it may be helpful to have a concise list of key guidelines for dispensational study of the Bible. Therefore, some general guidelines for determining the dispensation of almost any Bible passage have been listed below along with a diagram which illustrates the timeline of the dispensations. The discussion following each of the guidelines has been kept brief intentionally, in order to provide a concise listing. For further detail, please refer to the articles listed above.

-

1. The grace dispensation began in about 37 AD when God called Paul and saved him in Acts 9.

From the time God gave Moses the law in Exodus to the calling of Paul in Acts 9, the context of the scriptures had been the dispensation of the law. The book of Acts chronicles the transition from one dispensation to another. With the calling of Paul, God began a new dispensation, the dispensation of grace, which still continues today. Paul wrote in 1 Timothy 1:15-16, "... Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief. Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting." Thus we see that Paul was the "first" in this dispensation of grace and a "pattern" for us who have believed the gospel of grace since then.

2. The dispensation of the law was put on hold when Jerusalem and the temple were destroyed in 70 AD.

The destruction of the temple made it totally impossible for Jews to keep the law of Moses. Therefore the transition from law to the grace dispensation was completed in 70 AD. As shown in the diagram, the dispensation of the law will resume when the seven-year tribulation begins, after the rapture of the church. The dispensation of the law will have its fulfillment in the 1000 year kingdom dispensation.

3. During the transition period from 37-70 AD God revealed a multitude of mysteries to Paul to give to the church of the grace dispensation which was and still is mainly Gentile. God did not reveal the multitude of mysteries to Paul all at once, but gradually over many years.

In 2 Corinthians 12:7, Paul wrote, "And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh ...." Just a few verses earlier, Paul had written in 2 Corinthians 12:1, "It is not expedient for me doubtless to glory. I will come to visions and revelations of the Lord." In these two verses, Paul lets us know that he has already received from the Lord many revelations of many mysteries (or as some would prefer to say it: "many revelations of many aspects of the mystery"). He is also letting us know that he will receive many revelations of many mysteries in the future. These words in 2 Corinthians were written in about 57 AD, while Paul was in Macedonia on his third journey. This was while the events recorded in Acts 20:4-5 were taking place. Therefore we see that Jesus Christ was revealing mysteries to Paul throughout the 37-70 AD transition period from Paul's calling some 20 years earlier in Acts 9 and continuing for the next few years.

Naturally, as Paul was given more and more knowledge of God and His will for this grace dispensation, the corresponding doctrines were in turn revealed in Paul's letters. Also some of the deeper mysteries are not revealed until the latter part of Paul's ministry, not showing up until the books of Ephesians, Philippians, and Colossians around 61-63 AD. But the earlier letters of Paul are still teaching and instructions for the grace dispensation as well.

4. The ministry of the twelve apostles of the circumcision was limited to the people of Israel.

The only exception was Peter's trip to the house of Cornelius. The proselytes were Gentiles who had converted to the Jews' religion including circumcision and keeping the law of Moses. They were treated no differently from the Jews, as was the case with Nicolas in Acts 6:5. The Samaritans were basically Israelites whose bloodlines had been blended with some Gentiles. The Hellenists (referred to in the KJV as "Grecians") were Jews that had taken on the Greek culture and language. Still, the proselytes, Samaritans, and Hellenists were all under the dispensation of the law. So those at the house of Cornelius are the only non-proselyte Gentiles to which any of the twelve ever ministered their gospel of the kingdom. Even in that case, the gospel of the kingdom was edited for Gentile consumption, since no requirement of circumcision or keeping the law of Moses was included. Many years later, Peter wrote two letters to Jews who had been scattered out of Israel during the transition period. But these were not the Jews that had received the grace teaching of Paul. These were Jews who had been saved under the kingdom gospel under the teaching of the twelve.

5. Paul's grace ministry was to the Gentiles and the Jews living among them, outside of the land of Israel.

The Jews in Israel would not be receptive to Paul's teaching, and God knew this. In Acts 22, Paul recounts to the Jews in Jerusalem, his experience when he was in Jerusalem many years earlier in Acts 9. Acts 22:17-21 says, "And it came to pass, that, when I was come again to Jerusalem, even while I prayed in the temple, I was in a trance; And saw him (Jesus) saying unto me, Make haste, and get thee quickly out of Jerusalem: for they will not receive thy testimony concerning me. And I said, Lord, they know that I imprisoned and beat in every synagogue them that believed on thee: And when the blood of thy martyr Stephen was shed, I also was standing by, and consenting unto his death, and kept the raiment of them that slew him. And he said unto me, Depart: for I will send thee far hence unto the Gentiles." Even after nearly 20 years, the Jews in the land of Israel still would not accept Paul's message which included the Gentiles in this way. The next verse says, "And they gave him audience unto this word, and then lifted up their voices, and said, Away with such a fellow from the earth: for it is not fit that he should live ..." (Acts 22:22).

6. Along with the great wealth of knowledge found in the book of Genesis, we also find the history of the dispensations which came before the law of Moses.

These dispensations are (as shown in the diagram above) innocence (Genesis 1-3), conscience (Genesis 3-8), human government (Genesis 9-11), and promise (Genesis 12-50).

7. Exodus-Malachi, Matthew-John, and Hebrews-Revelation are written to the nation of Israel for the dispensation of the law which will have its fulfillment in the kingdom.

Galatians 2:7-9 says, "... when they (the other apostles) saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me (Paul), as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter; (For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles:) And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen (Gentiles), and they unto the circumcision (Israel)."

8. Romans-Philemon are Paul’s thirteen letters to the Gentiles for this present dispensation of grace.

Paul wrote in Romans 11:13, "For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office ...." Paul is our apostle. Thus he says in 2 Timothy 1:13 "Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus." Also he says in Philippians 3:17, "Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample."

9. Acts is the book of transition between the law and grace dispensations.

Therefore, special care must be taken when studying the book of Acts to recognize the dispensational context of each passage. In general, if Peter is speaking to Jews, it is for the kingdom dispensation, but if Paul is speaking to Gentiles, it is for the grace dispensation.

Certainly this is not an exhaustive list of all points of consideration, but these are the essential points that can help a student positively determine the dispensation of almost any Bible passage.

http://www.matthewmcgee.org/dispguid.html

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Saul of Tarsus had persecuted Christians and had them murdered, but then became a servant of Jesus Christ himself, the great apostle Paul (Acts 9: 12). What caused this change in Saul's life? Saul repented (Acts 9: 3-18, repentance is necessarily inferred, Acts 2: 38). The Philippian jailer who was a pagan had charge of Paul and Silas in prison. Later he is found washing their stripes and feeding them in his house (Acts 16: 33, 34). Repentance drastically changed his thinking regarding himself, Paul, and Silas (Acts 16: 30 ff.).

Repentance will also result in consequential changes today in a person's life. Repentance will cause the person who has a foul mouth to use pure speech; the thief to cease his sealing, and the drunkard to forsake the bottle (Eph. 4: 28; Eph. 4: 28; Prov. 23: 29 ff.). Repentance also involves restitution, as is seen in the case of Zacchaeus (Lk. 19: 8-10). Money that is stolen will not be retained but returned, when repentance is present. The adulterer will return the wife of another man or will cease his adultery with a women to whom he has no scriptural right (Matt. 19: 9). There will be no "if I have sinned" or "I sinned but…," when repentance is truly experienced. Repentance pervades every fiber of our being and soul and can truly transform us into a mindset that receives and loves the word of God and will obey it at all costs (I Jn. 5: 3, 2: 3 ff.).

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Icon 1 posted      Profile for barrykind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brother Bill:

that article by Stam; (Which C.R. Stam does have a lot of good insight in some of the things i have read that he wrote:)

Is he stating that in the Pauline Dispensation folks dont have to repent, because YHWH decided to blind Paul, and now "repentance" does not have to be engauged to be saved???

Is that what Stam is saying and do you agree with that teaching????

--------------------

Posts: 3529 | From: Orange, Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 7 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by barrykind:
wildbill Quoting C. Stam states:

quote:
After calls to repentance had failed, the ascended Lord stooped down to save Saul, the chief of sinners, on the road to Damascus, in anything but a repentant mood. Not by threatening or dealing with him in judgment, but by speaking to him in the tenderest tones He showed him the glory of His grace. This "trophy of grace" was then sent forth to proclaim "the gospel of grace", and the merits of his crucified, glorified Lord.

This is why repentance was emphasized, indeed was the theme of God's message, from John until Paul, while grace, proclaimed through the cross and received by faith, gradually displaced it as the theme of God's message for "this present evil age" (Acts 20:24).

Your agreeing with this man that thier is no longer a call to repent??

My goodness man have you LOST your "spiritual mind??? Tell me in not understanding something here huh?

2 Peter 3:9
The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

2 Cor 7: 10For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.

Romans 2:4
Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?

Romans, Chapter 10
001: Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.
002: For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge.
003: For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

004: For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.
005: For Moses describeth the righteousness which is of the law, That the man which doeth those things shall live by them.
006: But the righteousness which is of faith speaketh on this wise, Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down from above:)
007: Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.)
008: But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;

009: That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

010: For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
011: For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed. [rapture]

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Barry this question is for you:

Do you believe worshiping on the Sabbath is a salvation issue? If so explain your reason.
If not let it go. Let us not beat this horse to death. We are all Christians and there is nothing to be gain by us tearing each other apart about what day we worship Jesus. Truth is we should be worshiping Jesus every day.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In heaven, Jesus has two special ministries. As our High Priest, He gives us grace to keep us from sinning. As our Advocate, He forgives and restores us when we do sin (1 John 2:1-2). The merits of His heavenly intercessory work do not depend on our faithfulness, for He is faithful even if we are not (2 Tim. 2:12-13). But the benefits of His heavenly ministry are for those who are faithful to Him. When Christ confesses us before the Father, He is securing for us the benefits of His sacrificial work on the cross.

This is the kind of High Priest we need! We are prone to sin daily, even hourly; and we need to be able to turn to Him for spiritual help. As our High Priest, Jesus Christ gives us the grace and mercy that we need not to sin. But if we do sin, He is our Advocate at God’s throne (1 John 2:1-2). If we confess our sins to Him, He forgives us and restores us (1 John 1:9).

(Wiersbe)

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

wildbill Quoting C. Stam states:

quote:
After calls to repentance had failed, the ascended Lord stooped down to save Saul, the chief of sinners, on the road to Damascus, in anything but a repentant mood. Not by threatening or dealing with him in judgment, but by speaking to him in the tenderest tones He showed him the glory of His grace. This "trophy of grace" was then sent forth to proclaim "the gospel of grace", and the merits of his crucified, glorified Lord.

This is why repentance was emphasized, indeed was the theme of God's message, from John until Paul, while grace, proclaimed through the cross and received by faith, gradually displaced it as the theme of God's message for "this present evil age" (Acts 20:24).

Your agreeing with this man that thier is no longer a call to repent??

My goodness man have you LOST your "spiritual mind??? Tell me in not understanding something here huh?

2 Peter 3:9
The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

2 Cor 7: 10For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.

Romans 2:4
Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?

--------------------

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
After calls to repentance had failed, the ascended Lord stooped down to save Saul, the chief of sinners, on the road to Damascus, in anything but a repentant mood. Not by threatening or dealing with him in judgment, but by speaking to him in the tenderest tones He showed him the glory of His grace.
LOL

As he neared Damascus on his journey, suddenly a light from heaven flashed around him. He fell to the ground and heard a voice say to him, "Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?"

"Who are you, Lord?" Saul asked.

"I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting," he replied. "Now get up and go into the city, and you will be told what you must do."

The men traveling with Saul stood there speechless; they heard the sound but did not see anyone. Saul got up from the ground, but when he opened his eyes he could see nothing. So they led him by the hand into Damascus. For three days he was blind, and did not eat or drink anything.

– Acts 9:3-9, New International Version

WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 6 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Barry your out of your league.

REPENTANCE AND GRACE
by Cornelius R. Stam

When the sinner is convicted by the Holy Spirit of the seriousness of sin and of judgment to come, and cries to the Lord to save him, he has, of course, repented, or changed his mind, as the Greek word signifies. Many of God's servants, however, considering only the fact that sinners need such a change of mind, conclude that the way to produce the greatest results in their ministry is to stress repentance.

Such should take note of the response to the three great calls to repentance by which the dispensation of the Law was brought to a close: John the Baptist called Israel to repentance but was beheaded as a result (Matt.3:1-12; 14:3-10). The Lord Jesus took up the cry where John had left off (4:17), but was crucified for it. After the resurrection He sent His disciples to preach "repentance and remission of sin...in His name" (Luke 24:47) but Jerusalem refused to repent and it was not long before blood again flowed, as Stephen was stoned to death and a great persecution followed (Acts 8:3).

The guilt of Israel's impenitence increased too, as the call to repentance was intensified, for while John's murder was permitted by the people, Christ's was demanded by them, and Stephen's was actually committed by them. Thus the so-called "Great Commission" was bogged down at the very start, for if Jerusalem and the covenant people refused to repent, what hope was there that the "nations" (Luke 24:47) would do so?

"But where sin abounded, GRACE did much more abound: That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might GRACE reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord" (Rom.5:20,21).

This is why repentance was emphasized, indeed was the theme of God's message, from John until Paul, while grace, proclaimed through the cross and received by faith, gradually displaced it as the theme of God's message for "this present evil age" (Acts 20:24). [rapture]

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

wildbill states:

quote:
They do not know whether they are saved by grace plus works, or by grace unto good works. Ephesians 2:8 to 10. The great majority of Christians frustrate the grace of God and prevent the "grace" gospel.

Repentance..is that works
Obeying HIS commanments...is that works
love YHWH
love thy neighbor

James
14What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?

15If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,

16And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?

17Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

18Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

19Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

20But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

21Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?

22Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?

23And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.

24Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.

25Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?

26For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

works did not gain the "favour" of Yahweh..no your saved by grace...But what then??

26For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

--------------------

WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 13 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mixing law with grace is the leaven that God declared would leaven the whole lump. Galatians 5:9. In this same Epistle God says He does not want His people, under grace, to observe religious times and days. Galatians 4:10. What has this leaven done? Take a look at the present condition of the crops. More than ninety-five percent of professing Christians are in ritualism, modernism, fanaticism or in some metaphysical cult as the result of this leaven, directly or indirectly. Millions of saved church-members do not know whether they are old testament Israelites, marching to Zion, or members of the Body of Christ seated in the heavenlies in Christ Jesus. They do not know whether they are saved by grace plus works, or by grace unto good works. Ephesians 2:8 to 10. The great majority of Christians frustrate the grace of God and prevent the "grace" gospel.

--------------------
That is all.....

barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

History of the Sabbath by J.N Andrews
CHAPTER 3

THE SABBATH COMMITTED TO THE HEBREWS
Object of this chapter - Total apostasy of the human family in the antediluvian age - Destruction of mankind - The family of Noah spared -

Second apostasy of mankind in the patriarchal age - The apostate nations left to their own ways - The family of Abraham chosen - Separated from the rest of mankind - Their history - Their relation to God - The Sabbath in existence when they came forth from Egypt -

Analysis of Ex.16 - The Sabbath committed to the Hebrews.
We are now to trace the history of divine truth for many ages in almost the exclusive connection with the family of Abraham. That we may vindicate the truth from the reproach of pertaining only to the Hebrews - a reproach often urged against the Sabbath - and justify the dealings of God with mankind in leaving to their own ways the apostate nations, let us carefully examine the Bible for the reasons which directed divine Providence in the choice of Abraham's family as the depositaries of divine truth.

The antediluvian world had been highly favored of God. The period of life extended to each generation was twelve-fold that of the present age of man. For almost one thousand years, Adam, who had conversed with God in paradise, had been with them.

Before the death of Adam, Enoch began his holy walk of three hundred years, and then he was translated that he should not see death. This testimony to the piety of Enoch was a powerful testimony to the antediluvians in behalf of truth and righteousness. Moreover the Spirit of God strove with mankind; but the perversity of man triumphed over all the gracious restraints of the Holy Spirit. "And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually." Even the sons of God joined in the general apostasy.

At last a single family was all that remained of the worshipers of the Most High.1
Then came the deluge, sweeping the world of its guilty inhabitants with the besom of destruction.2 So terrible a display of divine justice might well be thought sufficient to restrain impiety for ages. Surely the family of Noah could not soon forget this awful lesson. But alas, revolt and apostasy speedily followed, and men turned from God to the worship of idols. Against the divine mandate separating the human family into nations,3 mankind united in one great act of rebellion in the plain of Shinar.

"And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth." Then God confounded them in their impiety and scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth.4 Men did not like to retain God in their knowledge; wherefore God gave them over to a reprobate mind, and suffered them to change the truth of God into a lie, and to worship and serve the creature rather than the Creator. Such was the origin of idolatry and of the apostasy of the Gentiles.5

In the midst of this wide-spread apostasy on man was found whose heart was faithful with God. Abraham was chosen from an idolatrous family, as the depositary of divine truth, the father of the faithful, the heir of the world, and friend of God.6 When the worshipers of God were found alone in the family of Noah, God gave up the rest of mankind to perish in the

Chapter Four – The Sabbath Committed to the Hebrews
flood. Now that the worshipers of God are again reduced almost to a single family, God gives up the idolatrous nations to their own ways, and takes the family of Abraham as his peculiar heritage. "For I know him," said God, "that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the Lord, to justice and judgment."7 That they might preserve in the earth the knowledge of divine truth and the memory and worship of the Most High, they were to be a people walled off from all mankind, and dwelling in a land of their own. That they might thus be separated from the heathen around, God gave to Abraham the rite of circumcision, and afterward to his posterity the whole ceremonial law.8 But they could not possess the land designed for them until the iniquity of the Amorites, its inhabitants, was full that they should be thrust out before them. The horror of great darkness, and the smoking seen by Abraham in vision, foreshadowed the iron furnace and the bitter servitude of Egypt.
The family of Abraham must go down thither. Brief prosperity and long and terrible oppression follow.9

At length the power of the oppressor is broken, and the people of God are delivered. The expiration of four hundred and thirty years from the promise to Abraham marks the hour of deliverance to his posterity.10 The nation of Israel is brought forth from Egypt as God's peculiar treasure, that he may give them his Sabbath, and his law, and himself. The psalmist testifies that God "brought forth his people with joy, and his chosen with gladness: and gave them the lands of the heathen: and they inherited the labor of the people: that they might observe his statutes and keep his laws. And the Most High says, "I am the Lord which hallow you, that brought you out of the land of Egypt, to be your God.

"11 Not that the commandments of God, his Sabbath and himself, had no prior existence, nor that the people were ignorant of the true God and his law; for the Sabbath was appointed to a holy use before the fall of man; and the commandments of God, his statutes and his laws, were kept by Abraham; and the Israelites themselves, when some of them had violated the Sabbath, were reproved by the question, "How long refuse ye to keep my commandments and my laws?12 And as to the Most High, the psalmist exclaims, "Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God."13 But there must be a formal public espousal of the people by God, and of his law and Sabbath and himself by the people.14 But neither the Sabbath, nor the law, nor the great Law-giver, by their connection with the Hebrews, became Jewish. The Law-giver indeed became the God of Israel,15 and what Gentile shall refuse him adoration for that reason? but the Sabbath still remained the Sabbath of the Lord,16 and the law continued to be the law of the Most High.
In the month following their passage through the Red Sea, the Hebrews came into the wilderness of Sin.

It is at this point in his narrative that Moses for the second time mentions the sanctified rest-day of the Creator. The people murmured for bread:
"Then said the Lord unto Moses, Behold, I will rain bread from heaven for you; and the people shall go out and gather a certain rate every day, that I may prove them, whether they will walk in my law, or no. And it shall come to pass, that on the sixth they shall prepare that which they bring in; and it shall be twice as much as they gather daily. . . .

I have heard the murmurings of the children of Israel: speak unto them, saying, At even ye shall eat flesh, and in the morning ye shall be filled with bread; and ye shall know that I am the Lord your God. And it came to pass, that at even the quails came up, and covered the camp; and in the morning the dew lay round about the host. And when the dew that lay was gone up, behold, upon the face of the wilderness there lay a small round thing, as small as the hoar frost on the ground. And when the children of Israel saw it, they said one to another, It is manna; for they wist not

what it was. And Moses said unto them, This is the bread which the Lord hath given you to eat. This is the thing which the Lord hath commanded, Gather of it every man according to his eating, an omer for every man, according to the number of your persons; take ye every man for them which are in his tents. And the children of Israel did so, and gathered, some more, some less. And when they did mete it with an omer, he that gathered much had nothing left over, and he that gathered little had no lack; they gathered every man according to his eating. And Moses said, Let no man leave of it till the morning. Notwithstanding they hearkened not unto Moses; but some of them left of it until the morning and it bred worms, and stank; and Moses was wroth with them. And they gathered it every morning, every man according to his eating; and when the sun waxed hot, it melted. And it came to pass, that on the sixth day they gathered twice as much bread,17 two omers for one man; and all the rulers of the congregation came and told Moses. And he said unto them, This is that which the Lord hath said,18

To-morrow is the rest of the holy Sabbath unto the Lord: bake that which ye will bake to-day, and seethe that ye will seethe; and that which remaineth over lay up to be kept until the morning. And they laid it up till the morning, as Moses bade; and it did not stink, neither was there any worm therein. And Moses said, Eat that to-day; for to-day is a Sabbath unto the Lord:19 to-day ye shall not find it in the field. Six days ye shall gather it; but on the seventh day, which is the Sabbath, in it there shall be none. And it came to pass, that there went out some of the people on the seventh day for to gather, and they found none. And the Lord said unto Moses, How long refuse ye to keep my commandments and my laws? See, for that the Lord hath given you the Sabbath, therefore he giveth you on the sixth day the bread of two days; abide ye every man in his place, let no man go out of his place on the seventh day. So the people rested on the seventh day."20

This narrative shows, 1. That God had a law and commandments prior to the giving of the manna. 2. That God in giving his people bread from heaven designed to prove them respecting his law. 3. That in this law was the holy Sabbath; for the test relative to walking in the law pertained directly to the Sabbath; and when God said, "How long refuse ye to keep my commandments and my laws?" it was the Sabbath which they had violated. 4. That in proving the people respecting this existing law, Moses gave no new precept respecting the Sabbath, but remained silent relative to the preparation for the Sabbath until after the people, of their own accord, had gathered a double portion on the sixth day. 5. That by this act the people proved not only that they were not ignorant of the Sabbath, but that they were disposed to observe it.21 6. That the reckoning of the week, traces of which appear through the patriarchal age,22 had been rightly kept, for the people knew when the sixth day had arrived. 7.

That had there been any doubt existing on that point, the fall of the manna on the six days, the withholding of it on the seventh, and the preservation of that needed for the Sabbath over that day, must have settled that point incontrovertibly.23 8. That there was no act of instituting the Sabbath in the wilderness of Sin; for God did not then make it his rest-day, nor did he then bless and sanctify the day. On the contrary, the record show that the seventh day was already the sanctified rest-day of the Lord.24 9. That the obligation to observe the Sabbath existed and was known before the fall of the manna.

For the language used implies the existence of such an obligation, but does not contain a new enactment until after some of the people had violated the Sabbath. Thus God says to Moses, "On the sixth day they shall prepare that which they bring in," but he does not speak of the seventh. And on the sixth day Moses says, "To-morrow is the rest of the holy Sabbath unto the Lord," but he does not command them to

observe it. On the seventh day he says that it is the Sabbath, and that they should find no manna in the field. "Six days ye shall gather it; but on the seventh day, which is the Sabbath, in it there shall be none." But in all this there is no precept given, yet the existence of such a precept is plainly implied. 10. That when some of the people violated the Sabbath they were reproved in language which plainly implies a previous transgression of this precept. "How long refuse ye to keep my commandments and my laws?" 11.

And that this rebuke of the Law-giver restrained for the time the transgression of the people.
"See, for that the Lord hath given you the Sabbath, therefore he giveth you on the sixth day the bread of two days:25 abide ye every man in his place, let no man go out of his place on the seventh day."26 As a special trust, God committed the Sabbath to the Hebrews. It was now given them, not now made for them. It was made for man at the close of the first week of time; but all other nations having turned from the Creator to the worship of idols, it is given the Hebrew people. Nor does this prove that all the Hebrews had hitherto disregarded it. For Christ uses the same language respecting circumcision. Thus he says, Moses therefore gave unto you circumcision; not because it is of Moses, but of the fathers."27

Yet God had enjoined that ordinance upon Abraham and his family four hundred years previous to this gift of it by Moses, and it had been retained by them.28
The language, "The Lord hath given you the Sabbath," implies a solemn act of committing a treasure to their trust. How was this done? No act of instituting the Sabbath here took place. No precept enjoining its observance was given until some of the people violated it, when it was given in the form of a reproof; which evinced a previous obligation, and that they were transgressing an existing law. And this view is certainly strengthened by the fact that no explanation of the institution was given to the people; a fact which indicates that some knowledge of the Sabbath was already in their possession.

But how then did God give them the Sabbath? He did this, first, by delivering them from the abject bondage of Egypt, where they were a nation of slaves. And second, by providing them food in such a manner as to impose the strongest obligation to keep the Sabbath. Forty years did he give them bread from heaven, sending it for six days, and withholding it on the seventh, and preserving food for them over the Sabbath. Thus was the Sabbath especially intrusted to them.
As a gift to the Hebrews, the Creator's great memorial became s sign between God and themselves.

"I gave them my Sabbaths, to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the Lord that sanctify them." As a sign, its object is stated to be, to make known the true God; and we are told why it was such a sign. "It is a sign between me and the children of Israel forever; for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed."29

The institution itself signified that God created the heavens and the earth in six days and rested on the seventh. Its observance by the people signified that the Creator was their God. How full of meaning was this sign!
The Sabbath was a sign between God and children of Israel, because they alone were the worshipers of the Creator. All other nations had turned from him to "the gods that have not made the heavens and the earth."30

For this reason the memorial of the great Creator was committed to the Hebrews, and it became a sign between the Most High and themselves. Thus was the Sabbath a golden link uniting the Creator and his worshipers.
1 Gen.2-6; Heb.11:4-7; 1Pet.3:20; 2Pet.2:5.
2 Gen.7; Matt.24:37-39; Luke 17:26,27; 2Pet.3:5,6.
3 Deut.32:7,8; Acts 17:26.
4 Gen.11:1-9; Josephus' Ant., b. i. chap. iv. This took place in the days of Peleg, who was born about one hundred years after the flood. Gen.10:25, compared with 11:10-16; Ant., b. i. chap. 6. sect. 4.
5 Rom.1:18-32; Acts 14:16,17; 17:29,30.
6 Gen.12:1-3; Josh.24:2,3,14; Neh.9:7,8; Rom.4:13-17; 2Chron.20:7; Isa.41:8; James 2:23.
7 Gen.18:19.
8 Gen.17:9-14; 34:14; Acts 10:28; 11:2,3; Eph.2:12-19; Num23:9; Deut.33:27,28.
9 Gen.15; Ex.1-5; Deut.4:20.
10 Ex.12:29-42; Gal.3:17.
11 Ps.105:43-45; Lev.22:32,33; Num.15:41.
12 Gen.2:2,3; 26:5; Ex.16:4,27,28; 18:16.
13 Ps.90:2.
14 Ex.19:3-8, 24:3-8; Jer.3:14, compared with last clause of Jer.31:32.
15 Ex.20:2; 24:10.
16 Ex.20:10; Deut.5:14; Neh.9:14.
17 On this verse Dr. A. Clarke thus comments:- "On the sixth day they gathered twice as much - This they did that they might have a provision for the Sabbath."

The Douay Bible reads: "To-morrow is the rest of the Sabbath sanctified unto the Lord." Dr. Clarke comments as follows upon this text: "To-morrow is the rest of the holy Sabbath. There is nothing either in the test or context that seems to intimate that the Sabbath was now first given to the Israelites, as some have supposed; on the contrary, it is here spoken of as being perfectly well known, from its having been generally observed.

The commandment, it is true, may be considered as being now renewed; because they might have supposed, that in their unsettled state in the wilderness, they might have been exempted from the observance of it. Thus we find, 1. That when God finished his creation he instituted the Sabbath; 2. When he brought the people out of Egypt, he insisted on the strict observance of it; 3.

When he gave the LAW, he made it a tenth part of the whole: such importance has this institution in the eyes of the Supreme Being!" Richard Baxter, a famous divine of the seventeenth century, and a decided advocate of the abrogation of the fourth commandment, in his "Divine Appointment of the Lord's Day," thus clearly states the origin of the Sabbath: Why should God begin two thousand years after [the creation of the world] to give men a Sabbath upon the reason of his rest from the creation of it, if he had never called man to that commemoration before?

And it is certain that the Sabbath was observed at the falling of the manna before the giving of the law; and let any considering Christian judge. . . . . 1. Whether the not falling of the manna, or
the rest of God after the creation, was like to be the original reason of the Sabbath. 2. And whether if it had been the first, it would not have been said, Remember to keep holy the Sabbath-day; for on six days the manna fell, and not on the seventh; rather than `for in six days God created heaven and earth, &c., and rested the seventh day.' And it is casually added, `

Wherefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath-day, and hallowed it.' Nay, consider whether this annexed reason intimates not that the day on this ground being hallowed before, therefore it was that God sent not down the manna on that day, and that he prohibited the people from seeking it." - Practical Works, Vol. iii, p. 784. ed. 1707.
19 The Douay Bible reads: "Because it is the Sabbath of the Lord."
20 Ex.16.
21 It has indeed been asserted that God by a miracle equalized the portion of every one on five days, and doubled the portion of each on the sixth, so that no act of the people has any bearing on the Sabbath. But the equal portion of each on the five days was not thus understood by Paul. He says: "But by an equality, that now at this time your abundance may be a supply for their want, that their abundance also may be a supply for your want; that there may be equality; as it is written, He that gathered much had nothing over; and he that had gathered little had not lack." 2Cor.8:14,15. And that the double portion on the sixth day was the act of the people, is affirmed by Moses. He says that "on the sixth day they gathered twice as much bread." Verse 22.
Gen.7:4,10; 8:10,12,; 29:27,28; 50:10; Ex.7:25; Job 2:13.
23 By this three-fold miracle, occurring every week for forty years, the great Law-giver distinguished his hallowed day. The people were therefore admirably prepared to listen to the fourth commandment enjoining the observance of the very day on which he had rested. Ex.16:35; Josh.5:12; Ex.20:8-11.

The twelfth chapter of Exodus relates the origin of the passover. It is in striking contrast with Ex.16, which is supposed to give the origin of the Sabbath. If the reader will compare the two chapters he will see the difference between the origin of an institution as given in Ex.12, and a familiar reference to an existing institution as in Ex.16. If he will also compare Gen.2 with Ex.12, he will see that the one gives the origin of the Sabbath in the same manner that the other gives the origin of the passover.

25 This implies, first, the fall of a larger quantity on that day, and second, its preservation for the wants of the Sabbath.
26 This must refer to going out for manna, as the connection implies; for religious assemblies on the Sabbath were commanded and observed. Lev.23:3; Mark 1:21; Luke 4:16; Acts 1:12; 15:21.
27 John 7:22.
28 Gen. 17; 34; Ex.4. Moses is said to have given circumcision to the Hebrews; yet it is a singular fact that his first mention of that ordinance is purely incidental, and plainly implies an existing knowledge of it on their part. Thus it is written: "This is the ordinance of the passover: There shall no stranger eat thereof; but every man's servant that is bought for money, when thou hast circumcised him, then shall he eat thereof." Ex.12:43,44. And in like manner when the Sabbath was given to Israel, that people were not ignorant of the sacred institution.

29 Eze.20:12; Ex.31:17.
30 Jer.10:10-12.

--------------------

WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 6 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Careful Caretaker. When God had His people Israel under the law, He had Levites to throw stones.

Here on the Board we have self appointed Latter day Levites.

--------------------
That is all.....

barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Chapter One – The Creation
HISTORY OF THE SABBATH
PART I - BIBLE HISTORY
CHAPTER I - THE CREATION
Time and eternity - The Creator and his work - Events of the first day of time - Of the second - Of the third - Of the fourth - Of the fifth - Of the sixth.
TIME, as distinguished from eternity, may be defined as that part of duration which is measured by the Bible. From the earliest date in the book of Genesis to the resurrection of the unjust at the end of the millennium, the period of about 7000 years is measured off.1 Before the commencement of this great week of time, duration without beginning fills the past; and at the expiration of this period, unending duration opens before the people of God. Eternity is that word which embraces duration without beginning and without end. And that Being whose existence comprehends eternity, is he who only hath immortality, the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God.2
When it pleased this infinite Being, he gave existence to our earth. Out of nothing God created all things;3 "so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear." This act of creation is that event which marks the commencement of the first week of time. He who could accomplish the whole work with one word chose rather to employ six days, and to accomplish the result by successive steps. Let us trace the footsteps of the Creator from the time when he laid the foundation of the earth until the close of the sixth day, when the heavens and the earth were finished, "and God saw everything that he had made, and behold, it was very good."4
On the first day of time God created the heaven and the earth. The earth thus called into existence was without form, and void; and total darkness covered the Creator's work. Then "God said, Let there be light; and there was light." " And God divided the light from the darkness," and called the one day, and other night.5
On the second day of time "God said, Let there be a firmament [margin, Heb., expansion] in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters." The dry land had not yet appeared; consequently the earth was covered with water. As no atmosphere existed, thick vapors rested upon the the face of the water; but the atmosphere being now called into existence by the word of the Creator, causing those elements to unite which compose the air we breathe, the fogs and vapors that had rested upon the bosom of the water were borne aloft by it. This atmosphere or expansion is called heaven.6
On the third day of time God gathered the waters together and caused the dry land to appear. the gathering together of the waters God called seas; the dry land, thus rescued from the waters, he called earth. "And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and fruit-tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so." "And God saw that it was good."7 3
On the fourth day of time "God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven, to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years." "And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night; he made the stars also." Light had been created on the first day of the week; and now on the fourth day he causes the sun and moon to appear as light-bearers, and places the light under their rule. And they continue unto this day according to his ordinances, for all are his servants. Such was the work of the fourth day. And the Great Architect, surveying what he had wrought, pronounced it good.8
On the fifth day of time "God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good."9
On the sixth day of time "God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and everything that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good." Thus the earth, having been fitted for the purpose, was filled with every order of living creature, while the air and waters teemed with animal existence. To complete this noble work of creation, God next provides a ruler, the representative of himself, and places all in subjection under him. "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth." "And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul. And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed. And out of the ground made the Lord God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil." Last of all, God created Eve, the mother of all living. The work of the Creator was now complete. "The heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them." "And God saw everything that he had made, and behold, it was very good." Adam and Eve were in paradise; the tree of life bloomed on earth; sin had not entered our world, and death was not here, for there was no sin. "The morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy." Thus ended the sixth day.10
1 For the scriptural and traditional evidence on this point, see Shimeall's Bible Chronology, part i. chap. vi; Taylor's Voice of the Church, pp. 25-30; and Bliss' Sacred Chronology, pp. 199-203.
2 Isa.57:15; 1Sam.15:29, margin; Jer.10:10, margin; Micah 5:2, margin; 1Tim.6:16; 1:17; Ps.90:2.
3 Dr. Adam Clarke, in his Commentary on Gen.1:1, uses the following language: "[Created] Caused that to exist which previously to this moment, had no being. The rabbis, who are legitimate judges in a case of verbal criticism on their own language, are unanimous in asserting that word bara, expresses the commencement of the existence of a thing: or its egression from nonentity to entity . . . . These words should be translated: `God in the beginning created the substance of the heavens and the substance of the earth; i.e., the prima materia, or first elements, out of which the heavens and the earth were successively formed.' "
Purchase's Pilgrimage, b. i. chap. ii., speaks thus of the creation: "Nothing but nothing had the Lord Almighty, whereof, wherewith, whereby, to build this city" [that is the world].
Chapter One – The Creation
Dr. Gill says: "These are said to be created, that is, to be made out of nothing; for what pre-existent matter to this chaos [of verse 2] could there be out of which they could be formed?"
"Creation must be the work of God, for none but an almighty power could produce something out of nothing." Commentary on Gen.1:1.
John Calvin, in his Commentary on this chapter, thus expounds the creative act: "His meaning is, that the world was made out of nothing. Hence the folly of those is refuted who imagine that unformed matter existed from eternity."
The work of creation is thus defined in 2 Maccabees 7:28: "Look upon the heaven and the earth, and all that is therein, and consider that God made them of things that were not; and so was mankind made likewise."
That this creative act marked the commencement of the first day instead of preceding it by almost infinite ages is thus stated in 2 Esdras 6:38: "And I said, O Lord, thou spakest from the beginning of the creation, even the first day, and saidst thus: Let heaven and earth be made; and thy word was a perfect work."
Wycliffe's translation, the earliest of the English versions, renders Gen.1:1, thus: "In the first, made God of naught heaven and earth.
4 Gen. 1:31
5 Gen.1:1-5; Heb.1.
6 Gen.1:6-8; Job 37:18.
7 Gen.1:9-13; Ps.136:6; 2Pet.3:5.
8 Gen.1:14-19; Ps.119:91; Jer.33:25.
9 Gen.1:20-23.
10 Gen.1:24:31; 2:7-9, 18-22; 3:20; Job 38:7.
CHAPTER 2
THE INSTITUTION OF THE SABBATH
Event of the seventh day - Why the Creator rested - Acts by which the Sabbath was made - Time and order of their occurrence - Meaning of the word sanctified - The fourth commandment refers the origin of the Sabbath to creation - The second mention of the Sabbath confirms this fact - The Saviour's testimony - When did God sanctify the seventh day - Object of the Author of the Sabbath - Testimony of Josephus and of Philo - Negative argument from the book of Genesis considered - Adam's knowledge of the Sabbath not difficult to be known by the patriarchs.
The work of the creator was finished, but the first week of time was not yet completed. Each of the six days had been distinguished by the Creator's work upon it; but the seventh was rendered memorable in a very different manner. "And on the seventh1 day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made." In yet stronger language it is written: "On the seventh day he rested, and was REFRESHED."2
Thus the seventh day of the week became the rest-day of the Lord. How remarkable is this fact! "The everlasting God, The Lord, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither is weary."3 He needed no rest; yet it is written, "On the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed." Why does not the record simply state the cessation of the Creator's work? Why did he at the close of that work employ a day in rest? The answer will be learned from the next verse. He was laying the foundation of a divine institution, the memorial of his own great work.
"And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it; because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made." The fourth commandment states the same fact: He "rested the seventh day; wherefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day, and hallowed it."4
The blessing and sanctification of the seventh day were because that God had rested upon it. His resting upon it, then, was to lay the foundation for blessing and sanctifying the day. His being refreshed with this rest, implies that he delighted in the act which laid the foundation for the memorial of his great work.
The second act of the Creator in instituting this memorial was to place his blessing upon the day of his rest. Thence forward it was the blessed rest-day of the Lord. A third act completes the sacred institution. The day already blessed of God is now, last of all, sanctified or hallowed by him. To sanctify is "to separate, set apart, or appoint to a holy, sacred, or religious use." To hallow is "to make holy; to consecrate; to set apart for a holy or religious use."5
The time when these three acts were performed is worthy of especial notice. The first act was that of rest. This took place on the seventh day; for the day was employed in rest. The second and third acts took place when the seventh day was past. "God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work." Hence it was on the first day
Chapter Two – The Institution of the Sabbath
of the second week of time that God blessed the seventh day, and set it apart to a holy use. The blessing and sanctification of the seventh day, therefore, relate not to the first seventh day of time, but to the seventh day of the week for time to come, in memory of God's rest on that day from the work of creation.
With the beginning of time, God began to count days, giving to each an ordinal number for its name. Seven different days receive as many different names. In memory of that which he did on the last of these days, he sets that apart by name to a holy use. This act gave existence to weeks, or periods of seven days. For with the seventh day, he ceased to count, and, by the divine appointment of that day to a holy use in memory of his rest thereon, he causes man to begin the count of a new week so soon as the first seventh day had ceased. And as God has been pleased to give man, in all, but seven different days, and has given to each one of these days a name which indicates its exact place in the week, his act of setting apart one of these by name, which act created weeks and gave man the Sabbath, can never - except by sophistry - be made to relate to an indefinite or uncertain day.
The days of the week are measured off by revolution of our earth on its axis; and hence our seventh day, as such, can come only to dwellers on this globe. To Adam and Eve, therefore, as inhabitants of this earth, and not to the inhabitants of some other world, were the days of the week given to use. Hence, when God set apart one of these days to a holy use in memory of his own rest on that day of the week, the very essence of the act consisted in his telling Adam that this day should be used only for sacred purposes. Adam was then in the garden of God, placed there by the Creator to dress it and to keep it. He was also commissioned of God to subdue the earth.6 When therefore the rest-day of the Lord should return, from week to week, all this secular employment, however proper in itself, must be laid aside, and the day observed in memory of the Creator's rest.
Dr. Twisse quotes Martin Luther thus:
"And Martin Luther professeth as much (tome vi, in Gen.2:3). `It follows from hence,' saith he, `that, if Adam had stood in his innocency, yet he should have kept the seventh day holy, that is, on that day he should have taught his children, and children's children, what was the will of God, and wherein his worship did consist; he should have praised God, given thanks, and offered. On other days he should have tilled his ground, looked to his cattle.' "7
The Hebrew verb, kadash, here rendered sanctified, and in the fourth commandment rendered hallowed, is defined by Gesenius, "To pronounce holy, to sanctify; to institute any holy thing, to appoint."8 It is repeatedly used in the Old Testament for a public appointment or proclamation. Thus, when the cities of refuge were set apart in Israel, it is written: "They appointed [margin, Heb., sanctified] Kedesh in Galilee in Mount Naphtali, and Shechem in Mount Ephraim," &c. This sanctification or appointment of the cities of refuge was by a public announcement to Israel that these cities were set apart for that purpose. This verb is also used for the appointment of a public fast, and for the gathering of a solemn assembly. Thus it is written: "Sanctify [i.e., appoint] ye a fast, call a solemn assembly, gather the elders and all the inhabitants of the land into the house of the Lord your God." "Blow the trumpet in Zion, sanctify [i.e., appoint] a fast, call a solemn assembly." "And Jehu said, Proclaim [margin, Heb., sanctify] a solemn assembly for Baal."9 This appointment for Baal was so public that all the worshipers of Baal in all Israel were gathered together. These fasts and solemn assemblies were sanctified or set apart by a public appointment or proclamation of the fact. When therefore God set apart the seventh day to a holy use, it was necessary that he
should state that fact to those who had the days of the week to use. Without such announcement the day could not be set apart from the others.
But the most striking illustration of the meaning of this word may be found in the record of the sanctification of Mount Sinai.10 When God was about to speak the ten commandments in the hearing of all Israel, he sent Moses down from the top of Mount Sinai to restrain the people from touching the mount. "And Moses said unto the Lord, The people cannot come up to Mount Sinai; for thou chargedst us, saying, Set bounds about the mount, and sanctify it." Turning back to the verse where God gave this charge to Moses, we read: "And thou shalt set bounds unto the people round about, saying, Take heed to yourselves, that ye go not up into the mount or touch the border of it." Hence to sanctify the mount was to command the people not to touch even the border of it; for God was about to descend in majesty upon it. In other words, to sanctify or set apart to a holy use Mount Sinai, was to tell the people that God would have them treat the mountain as sacred to himself. And thus also to sanctify the rest-day of the Lord was to tell Adam that he should treat the day as holy to the Lord.
The declaration, "God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it," is not indeed a commandment for the observance of that day; but it is the record that such a precept was given to Adam.11 For how could the Creator "set apart to a holy use" the day of his rest, when those who were to use the day knew nothing of his will in the case? Let those answer who are able. This view of the record in Genesis we shall find to be sustained by all the testimony in the Bible relative to the rest-day of the Lord. The facts which we have examined are the basis of the fourth commandment. Thus spake the great Law-giver from the summit of the flaming mount: "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy." "The seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God." "For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day, and hallowed it."12
The term Sabbath is transferred from the Hebrew language, and signifies rest.13 The command, "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy," is therefore exactly equivalent to saying, "Remember the rest-day, to keep it holy." The explanation which follows sustains this statement: "The seventh day is the Sabbath [or rest-day] of the Lord thy God." The origin of this rest-day is given in these words: "For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day, and hallowed it." That which is enjoined in the fourth commandment is to keep holy the rest-day of the Lord. And this is defined to be the day on which he rested from the work of creation. Moreover, the fourth commandment calls the seventh day the Sabbath day at the time when God blessed and hallowed that day; therefore the Sabbath is an institution dating from the foundation of the world. The fourth commandment points back to the creation for the origin of its obligation; and when we go back to that point, we find the substance of the fourth commandment given to Adam: "God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it;" i.e., set it apart to a holy use. And in the commandment itself, the same fact is stated: "The Lord blessed the Sabbath day, and hallowed it;" i.e., appointed it to a holy use. The one statement affirms that "God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it;" the other, that "the Lord blessed the Sabbath day, and hallowed it." These two statements refer to the same acts. Because the word Sabbath does not occur in the first statement, it has been contended that the Sabbath did not originate at creation, it being the seventh day merely which was hallowed. From the second statement, it has been contended that God did not bless the seventh day at all, but simply the Sabbath institution. But both statements embody all the truth. God blessed the seventh day,
and sanctified it; and this day thus blessed and hallowed was his holy Sabbath, or rest-day. Thus the fourth commandment establishes the origin of the Sabbath at creation.
The second mention of the Sabbath in the Bible furnishes a decisive confirmation of the testimonies already adduced. On the sixth day of the week, Moses, in the wilderness of Sin, said to Israel, "To-morrow is the rest of the holy Sabbath unto the Lord."14 What had been done to the seventh day since God blessed and sanctified it as his rest-day in paradise? Nothing. What did Moses do to the seventh day to make it the rest of the holy Sabbath unto the Lord? Nothing. Moses on the sixth day simply states the fact that the morrow is the rest of the holy Sabbath unto the Lord. The seventh day had been such ever since God blessed and hallowed the day of his rest.
The testimony of our divine Lord relative to the origin and design of the Sabbath is of peculiar importance. He is competent to testify, for he was with the father in the beginning of the creation.15 "The Sabbath was made for man," said he, "not man for the Sabbath."16 The following grammatical rule is worthy of notice: "A noun without an adjective is invariably taken in its broadest extension, as: Man is accountable."17 The following texts will illustrate this rule, and also this statement of our Lord's: "Man lieth down and riseth not: till the heavens be no more, they shall not awake, nor be raised out of their sleep." There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man." "It is appointed unto men once to die."18 In these texts man is used without restriction, and, therefore, all mankind are necessarily intended. The Sabbath was therefore made for the whole human family, and consequently originated with mankind. But the Saviour's language is even yet more emphatic in the original: "The Sabbath was made for THE man, not THE man for the Sabbath." This language fixes the mind on the man Adam, who was made of the dust of the ground just before the Sabbath was made for him, of the seventh day.
This is a striking confirmation of the fact already pointed out that the Sabbath was given to Adam, the head of the human family.
"The seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God; yet he made the Sabbath for man. "God made the Sabbath his by solemn appropriation, that he might convey it back to us under the guarantee of a divine charter, that none might rob us of it with impunity."
But is it not possible that God's act of blessing and sanctifying the seventh day did not occur at the close of creation week? May it not be mentioned then because God designed that the day of his rest should be afterward observed? Or rather, as Moses wrote the book of Genesis long after the creation, might he not insert this account of the sanctification of the seventh day with the record of the first week, though the day itself was sanctified in his own time?
It is very certain that such an interpretation of the record cannot be admitted, unless the facts in the case demand it. For it is, to say the least, a forced explanation of the language. The record in Genesis, unless this be an exception, is a plain narrative of events. Thus what God did on each day is recorded in its order down to the seventh. It is certainly doing violence to the narrative to affirm that the record respecting the seventh day is of a different character from that respecting the other six. He rested the seventh day; he sanctified the seventh day because he had rested upon it. The reason why he should sanctify the seventh day existed when his rest was closed. To say, therefore, that God did not sanctify the day at that time, but did it in the days of Moses, is not only to distort the narrative, but to affirm that he neglected to do that for which the reason existed at creation, until twenty-five hundred years after.19 9
But we ask that the facts be brought forward which prove that the Sabbath was sanctified in the wilderness of Sin, and not at creation. And what are the facts that show this? It is confessed that such facts are not upon record. Their existence is assumed in order to sustain the theory that the Sabbath originated at the fall of the manna, and not in paradise.
Did God sanctify the Sabbath in the wilderness of Sin? There is no intimation of such fact. On the contrary, it is mentioned at that time as something already set apart of God. On the sixth day Moses said, "To-morrow is the rest of the holy Sabbath unto the Lord." 20 Surely this is not the act of instituting the Sabbath, but the familiar mention of an existing fact. We pass on to Mount Sinai. Did God sanctify the Sabbath when he spoke the ten commandments? No one claims that he did. It is admitted by all that Moses spoke of it familiarly the previous month.21 Does the Lord at Sinai speak of the sanctification of the Sabbath? He does; but in the very language of Genesis he goes back for the sanctification of the Sabbath, not to the wilderness of Sin, but to the creation of the world.22 We ask those who hold the theory under examination, this question: If the Sabbath was not sanctified at creation, but was sanctified in the wilderness of Sin, why does the narrative in each instance23 record the sanctification of the Sabbath at creation and omit all mention of such fact in the wilderness of Sin? Nay, why does the record of events in the wilderness of Sin, show that the holy Sabbath was at that time already in existence? In a word, How can a theory subversive of all the facts in the record, be maintained as the truth of God?
We have seen the Sabbath ordained of God at the close of the creation week. The object of its Author is worthy of especial attention. Why did the Creator set up this memorial in paradise? Why did he set apart from the other days of the week that day which he had employed in rest? "Because that in it," says the record, "he had rested from all his work which God created and made." A rest necessarily implies a work performed. And hence the Sabbath was ordained of God as a memorial of the work of creation. And therefore that precept of the moral law which relates to this memorial, unlike every other precept of that law, begins with the word, "Remember." The importance of this memorial will be appreciated when we learn from the Scriptures that it is the work of creation which is claimed by its Author as the great evidence of his eternal power and Godhead, and as that great fact which distinguishes him from all false gods. Thus it is written:
"He that built all things is God." "The gods that have not made the heavens and the earth, even they shall perish from the earth, and from under these heavens." "But the Lord is the true God, he is the living God, and an everlasting King." "He hath made the earth by his power, he hath established the world by his wisdom, and hath stretched out the heavens by his discretion." "For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead." "For he spake, and it was done; he commanded, and it stood fast." Thus "the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear."24
Such is the estimate which the Scriptures place upon the work of creation as evincing the eternal power and Godhead of the creator. The Sabbath stands as the memorial of this great work. Its observance is an act of grateful acknowledgment on the part of his intelligent creatures that he is their Creator, and that they owe all to him; and that for his pleasure they are and were created. How appropriate this observance for Adam! And when man had fallen, how important for his well being that he should "remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy." He would thus have been preserved from atheism and from idolatry; for he could never forget
that there was a God from whom all things derived their being; nor could he worship as God any other being than the Creator.
The seventh day, as hallowed by God in Eden, was not Jewish, but divine; it was not the memorial of the flight of Israel from Egypt, but of the Creator's rest. Nor is it true that the most distinguished Jewish writers deny the primeval origin of the Sabbath, or claim it as a Jewish memorial. We cite the historian Josephus and his learned contemporary, Philo Judaeus. Josephus, whose "Antiquities of the Jews" run parallel with the Bible from the beginning, when treating of the wilderness of Sin, makes no allusion whatever to the Sabbath, a clear proof that he had no idea that it originated in that wilderness. But when giving the account of creation, he bears the following testimony:
"Moses says that in just six days the world and all that is therein was made. And that the seventh day was a rest and a release from the labor of such operations; WHENCE it is that we celebrate a rest from our labor on that day, and call it the Sabbath; which word denotes rest in the Hebrew tongue." 25
And Philo bears an emphatic testimony relative to the character of the Sabbath as a memorial. Thus he says:
"But after the whole world had been completed according to the perfect nature of the number six, the Father hallowed the day following, the seventh, praising it and calling it holy. For that day is the festival, not of one city or one country, but of all the earth; a day which alone it is right to call the day of festival for all people, and the birth-day of the world."26
Nor was the rest-day of the Lord a shadow of man's rest after his recovery from the fall. God will ever be worshiped in an understanding manner by his intelligent creatures. When therefore he set apart his rest-day to a holy use, if it was not as a memorial of his work, but as a shadow of man's redemption from the fall, the real design of the institution must have been stated, and, as a consequence, man in his unfallen state could never observe the Sabbath as a delight, but ever with deep distress, as reminding him that he was soon to apostatize from God. Nor was the holy of the Lord and honorable, one of the "carnal ordinances imposed on them until the time of reformation;" 27 for there could be no reformation with unfallen beings.
But man did not continue in his uprightness. Paradise was lost, and Adam was excluded from the tree of life. The curse of God fell upon the earth, and death entered by sin, and passed upon all men.28 After this sad apostasy, no further mention of the Sabbath occurs until Moses on the sixth day said, "To-morrow is the rest of the holy Sabbath unto the Lord."
It is objected that there is no precept in the book of Genesis for the observance of the Sabbath, and consequently no obligation on the part of the patriarchs to observe it. There is a defect in this argument not noticed by those who use it. The book of Genesis was not a rule given to the patriarchs to walk by. On the contrary, it was written by Moses 2500 years after creation, and long after the patriarchs were dead. Consequently the fact that certain precepts were not found in Genesis is no evidence that they were not obligatory upon the patriarchs. Thus the book does not command men to love God with all their hearts, and their neighbours as themselves; nor does it prohibit idolatry, blasphemy, disobedience to parents, adultery, theft, false witness or covetousness. Who will affirm from this that the patriarchs were under no restraint in these things? As a mere record of events, written long after their occurrence, it was not necessary that the book should contain a moral code. But had the book been given to the patriarchs as a rule of life, it must of necessity have contained such a code. It is a fact worthy of especial
notice that as soon as Moses reaches his own time in the book of Exodus, the whole moral law is given. The record and the people were then contemporary, and ever afterward the written law is in the hands of God's people, as a rule of life, and a complete code of moral precepts.
The argument under consideration is unsound, 1. Because based upon the supposition that the book of Genesis was the rule of life for the patriarchs; 2. Because if carried out it would release the patriarchs from every precept of the moral law except the sixth.29 3. Because the act of God in setting apart his rest-day to a holy use, as we have seen, necessarily involves the fact that he gave a precept concerning it to Adam, in whose time it was thus set apart. And hence, though the book of Genesis contains no precept concerning the Sabbath, it does contain direct evidence that such precept was given to the head and representative of the human family.
After giving the institution of the Sabbath, the book of Genesis, in its brief record of 2370 years, does not again mention it. This has been urged as ample proof that those holy men, who, during this period, were perfect, and walked with God in observance of his commandments, statutes and laws,30 all lived in open profanation of that day which God had blessed and set apart to a holy use. But the book of Genesis also omits any distinct reference to the doctrine of future punishment, the resurrection of the body, the revelation of the Lord in flaming fire, and the Judgment of the great day. Does this silence prove that the patriarchs did not believe these great doctrines? Does it make them any the less sacred?
But the Sabbath is not mentioned from Moses to David, a period of five hundred years, during which it was enforced by the penalty of death. Does this prove that it was not observed during this period?31 The jubilee occupied a very prominent place in the typical system, yet in the whole Bible a single instance of its observance is not recorded. What is still more remarkable, there is not on record a single instance of the observance of the great day of atonement, notwithstanding the work in the holiest on that day was the most important service connected with the worldly sanctuary. And yet the observance of the other and less important festivals of the seventh month, which are so intimately connected with the day of atonement, the one preceding it by ten days, the other following it in five, is repeatedly and particularly recorded.32 It would be sophistry to argue from this silence respecting the day of atonement, when there were so many instances in which its mention was almost demanded, that that day was never observed; and yet it is actually a better argument than the similar one urged against the Sabbath from the book of Genesis.
The reckoning of time by weeks is derived from nothing in nature, but owes its existence to the divine appointment of the seventh day to a holy use in memory of the Lord's rest from the six days' work of creation.33 This period of time is marked only by the recurrence of the sanctified rest-day of the Creator. That the patriarchs reckoned time by weeks and by sevens of days, is evident from several texts.34 That they should retain the week and forget the Sabbath by which alone the week is marked, is not a probable conclusion. That the reckoning of the week was rightly kept is evident from the fact that in the wilderness of Sin on the sixth day the people, of their own accord, gathered a double portion of manna. And Moses said to them, "To-morrow is the rest of the holy Sabbath unto the Lord."35
The brevity of the record in Genesis causes us to overlook many facts of the deepest interest. Adam lived 930 years. How deep and absorbing the interest that must have existed in the human family to see the first man! To converse with one who had himself talked with God! To hear from his lips a description of that paradise in which he had lived! To learn from one
created on the sixth day the wondrous events of the creation week! To hear from his lips the very words of the creator when he set apart his rest-day to a holy use! And to learn, alas! the sad story of the loss of paradise and the tree of life!36
It was therefore not difficult for the facts respecting the six days of creation and the sanctification of the rest-day to be diffused among mankind in the patriarchal age. Nay, it was impossible that it should be otherwise, especially among the godly. From Adam to Abraham a succession of men - probably inspired of God--preserved the knowledge of God upon earth. Thus Adam lived till Lamech, the father of Noah, was 56 years of age; Lamech lived till Shem, the son of Noah, was 93; Shem lived till Abraham was 150 years of age. Thus are we brought down to Abraham, the father of the faithful. Of him it is recorded that he obeyed God's voice and kept his charge, his commandments, his statutes, and his laws. And of him the Most High bears the following testimony: "I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the Lord to do justice and judgment."37 The knowledge of God was preserved in the family of Abraham; and we shall next find the Sabbath familiarly mentioned among his posterity, as an existing institution.
1 "On the sixth day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day," &c., is the reading of the Septuagint, the Syriac, and the Samaritan; "and this should be considered the genuine reading," says Dr. A. Clarke. See his Commentary on Gen.2.
2 Gen.2:2; Ex.31:17.
3 Isa.40:28.
4 Gen.2:3; Ex.20:11. In an anonymous work entitled "Morality of the Fourth Commandment," London, 1652, but not the same with that of Dr. Twisse, of the same title, is the following striking passage: "The Hebrew root for seven, signifies fullness, perfection, and the Jews held many mysteries to be in the number seven: so John in his Apocalypse useth much that number. As, seven churches, seven stars, seven spirits, seven candlesticks, seven angels, seven seals, seven trumpets; and we no sooner meet with a seventh day, but it is blessed; no sooner with a seventh man [Gen.5:24; Jude 14], but he is translated." Page 7.
5 Webster's Unabridged Dictionary on the words sanctify and hallow. Ed. 1859. The revised edition edition of 1864 gives this definition: "To make sacred or holy; to set apart to a holy or religious use; to consecrate by appropriate rites; to hallow. God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it. Gen.2:3. Moses . . . sanctified Aaron and his garments. Lev.8:30." Worcester defines it thus: "To ordain or set apart to sacred ends; to consecrate; to hallow. God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it. Gen.2:3."
6 Gen.2:15; 1:28.
7 Morality of the Fourth Commandment, pp. 56, 57, London, 1641.
8 Hebrew Lexicon, p. 914, ed. 1854.
9 Josh.20:7; Joel 1:14; 2:15; 2Kings10:20,21; Zeph.1:7, margin.
10 Ex.19:12,23.
11 Dr. Lange's Commentary speaks on this point thus, in vol. i, p. 197: "If we had no other passage than this of Gen.2:3, there would be no difficulty in deducing from it a precept for the universal observance of a Sabbath, or seventh day, to be devoted to God, as holy time, by all
of that race for whom the earth and its nature were specially prepared. The first men must have known it. The words, `He hallowed it,' can have no meaning otherwise. They would be a blank unless in reference to some who were required to keep it holy." Dr. Nicholas Bound, in his "True Doctrine of the Sabbath," London, 1606, page 7, thus states the antiquity of the Sabbath precept: "The first commandment of Sabbath was no more then first given when it was pronounced from Heaven by the Lord, than any other one of the moral precepts, nay, that it hath so much antiquity as the seventh day hath being; for, so soon as the day was, so soon was it sanctified, that we might know that, as it came in with the first man, so it must not go out but with the last man; and as it was in the beginning of the world, so it must continue to the end of the same; and, as the first seventh day was sanctified, so must the last be. And this is that which one saith, that the Sabbath was commanded by God, and the seventh day was sanctified of him even from the beginning of the world; where (the latter words expounding the former) he showeth that, when God did sanctify it, then also he commanded it to be kept holy; and therefore look how ancient the sanctification of the day is, the same antiquity also as the commandment of keeping it holy; for they two are all one."
12 Ex.20:8-11.
13 Buck's Theological Dictionary, article, Sabbath; Calmet's Dictionary, article, Sabbath.
14 Ex.16:22,23.
15 John 1:1-3; Gen.1:1,26; Col.1:13-16.
16 Mark 2:27.
17 Barrett's Principles of English Grammar, p. 29.
18 Job 14:12;1 Cor.10:13; Heb.9:27.
19 Dr. Twisse illustrates the absurdity of that view which makes the first observance of the Sabbath in memory of creation to have begun some 2500 years after that event: "We read that when the Ilienses, inhabitants of Ilium, called anciently by the name of Troy, sent an embassage to Tiberius, to condole the death of his father Augustus, he, considering the unseasonableness thereof, it being a long time after his death, requited them accordingly, saying that he was sorry for their heaviness also, having lost so renowned a knight as Hector was, to wit, above a thousand years before, in the wars of Troy." - Morality of the Fourth Commandment, p. 198.
20 Ex.16:23.
21 Ex.16.
22 Ex.20:8-11.
23 Compare Gen.2:1-3; Ex.20:8-11.
24 Heb.3:4; Jer.10:10-12; Rom.1:20; Ps.33:9; Heb.11:3.
25 Antiquities of the Jews, b. i. chap. i. sect. 1.
26 Works, vol. i. The Creation of the World, sect. 30.
27 Isa.58:13,14; Heb.9:10.
28 Gen.3; Rom.5:12.
29 Gen.9:5,7.
30 Gen.5:24; 6:9; 26:5.
31 See the beginning of chap. viii. of this work.
32 Ezra.3:1-6; Neh.8:2, 9-12, 14-18; 1Kings 8:2,65; 2Chron.5:3; 7:8,9; John 7:2-14,37.
33 "The week, another primeval measure, is not a natural measure of time, as some astronomers and chronologers have supposed, indicated by the phases or quarters of the moon. It was originated by divine appointment at the creation - six days of labor and one of rest being wisely appointed for man's physical and spiritual well-being." - Bliss' Sacred Chronology, p. 6; Hale's Chronology, vol. i. p. 19. "Seven has been the ancient and honored number among the nations of the earth. They have measured their time by weeks from the beginning. The original of this was the Sabbath of God, as Moses has given the reasons of it in his writings." - Brief Dissertation on the first three Chapters of Genesis, by Dr. Coleman, p. 26.
34 Gen.29:27,28; 8:10,12; 7:4,10; 50:10; Ex.7:25; Job 2:13.
35 Ex.16:22,23.
36 The interest to see the first man is thus stated: "Sem and Seth were in great honor among men, and so was Adam above every living thing in the creation." Ecclesiasticus 49:16.
37 Gen.26:5; 18:19.

--------------------

barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

HISTORY OF THE SABBATH and FIRST DAY OF THE WEEK
By J. N. Andrews
PREFACE
THE history of the Sabbath embraces the period of 6000 years. The seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord. The acts which constituted it such were, first, the example of the Creator; secondly, his placing his blessing upon the day; and thirdly, the sanctification or divine appointment of the day to a holy use. The Sabbath, therefore, dates from the beginning of our world's history. The first who Sabbatized on the seventh day is God the Creator; and the first seventh day of time is the day which he thus honored. The highest of all possible honors does, therefore, pertain to the seventh day. Nor is this honor confined to the first seventh day of time; for so soon as God had rested upon that day, he appointed the seventh day to a holy use, that man might hallow it in memory of his Creator.
This divine appointment grows out of the nature and fitness of things, and must have been made directly to Adam, for himself and wife were then the only beings who had the days of the week to use. As it was addressed to Adam while yet in his uprightness, it must have been given to him as the head of the human family. The fourth commandment bases all its authority upon this original mandate of the Creator, and must, therefore, be in substance what God commanded to Adam and Eve as the representatives of mankind.
The patriarchs could not possibly have been ignorant of the facts and the obligation which the fourth commandment shows to have originated in the beginning, for Adam was present with them for a period equal to more than half the Christian dispensation. Those, therefore, who walked with God in the observance of his commandments did certainly hallow his Sabbath.
The observers of the seventh day must therefore include the ancient godly patriarchs, and none will deny that they include also the prophets and the apostles. Indeed, the entire church of God embraced within the records of inspiration were Sabbath-keepers. To this number must be added the Son of God. What a history, therefore, has the Sabbath of the Lord! It was instituted in Paradise, honored by several miracles each week for the space of forty years, proclaimed by the great Lawgiver from Sinai, observed by the Creator, the patriarchs, the prophets, the apostles, and the Son of God! It constitutes the very heart of the law of God, and so long as that law endures, so long shall the authority of this sacred institution stand fast.
Such being the record of the seventh day, it may well be asked, How came it to pass that this day has been abased to the dust, and another day elevated to its sacred honors? The Scriptures nowhere attribute this work to the Son of God. They do, however, predict the great apostasy in the Christian church, and that the little horn, or man of sin, the lawless one, should think to change times and laws.
It is the object of the present volume to show, 1. The Bible record of the Sabbath; 2. The record of the Sabbath in secular history; 3. The record of the Sunday festival, and of the several steps by which it has usurped the place of the ancient Sabbath.
The writer has attempted to ascertain the exact truth in the case by consulting the original authorities as far as it has been possible to gain access to them. The margin will show to whom he is mainly indebted for the facts presented in this work, though it indicates only a very small part of the works consulted. He has given the exact words of the historians, and has endeavored, conscientiously, to present them in such a light as to do justice to the authors quoted.
It is not the fault of the writer that the history of the Sunday festival presents such an array of frauds and of iniquities in its support. These are, in the nature of the case, essential to its very existence, for the claim of a usurper is necessarily based in fraud. The responsibility for these rests with those who dare commit or uphold such acts. The ancient Sabbath of the Lord has never needed help of this kind, and never has its record been stained by fraud or falsehood. Battle Creek, Mich., Nov. 18,1873 J. N. A.

--------------------

Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How quickly you dismiss the "breaking of Bread", and deny that this was done in remembrance of Christ.

Lu 24:35
And they told what things were done in the way, and how he was known of them in breaking of bread.

Ac 2:42
And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.

Ac 2:46
And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,

breaking:

Strong's Number: 2800 Browse Lexicon
Original Word Word Origin
klavsi? from (2806)
Transliterated Word TDNT Entry
Klasis 3:726,437
Phonetic Spelling Parts of Speech
klas'-is Noun Feminine
Definition

1. a breaking

King James Word Usage - Total: 2
breaking 2

bread:
Strong's Number: 740 Browse Lexicon
a[rto? from (142)
Artos 1:477,80
ar'-tos Noun Masculine
Definition

1. food composed of flour mixed with water and baked
1. the Israelites made it in the form of an oblong or round cake, as thick as one's thumb, and as large as a plate or platter hence it was not to be cut but broken
2. loaves were consecrated to the Lord
3. of the bread used at the love-feasts and at the Lord's Table
2. food of any kind

King James Word Usage - Total: 99
bread 72, loaf 23, shewbread + (4286) +&version=kjv 3588 4

20:7
And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

break:

Strong's Number: 2806 Browse Lexicon
klavw a primary verb
Klao 3:726,437
klah'-o Verb
Definition

1. to break
1. used in the NT of the breaking of bread or communion

King James Word Usage - Total: 15
break 15

1Co 10:16
The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ?

break:

Strong's Number: 2806 Browse Lexicon
klavw a primary verb
Klao 3:726,437
klah'-o Verb
Definition

1. to break
1. used in the NT of the breaking of bread or communion

King James Word Usage - Total: 15
break 15

The First Sabbath Observance by man, in the Word:

Exodus 16:
23: And he said unto them, This is that which the LORD hath said, To morrow is the rest of the holy sabbath unto the LORD: bake that which ye will bake to day, and seethe that ye will seethe; and that which remaineth over lay up for you to be kept until the morning.
24: And they laid it up till the morning, as Moses bade: and it did not stink, neither was there any worm therein.
25: And Moses said, Eat that to day; for to day is a sabbath unto the LORD: to day ye shall not find it in the field.
26: Six days ye shall gather it; but on the seventh day, which is the sabbath, in it there shall be none.
27: And it came to pass, that there went out some of the people on the seventh day for to gather, and they found none.
28: And the LORD said unto Moses, How long refuse ye to keep my commandments and my laws?
29: See, for that the LORD hath given you the sabbath, therefore he giveth you on the sixth day the bread of two days; abide ye every man in his place, let no man go out of his place on the seventh day.
30: So the people rested on the seventh day.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

< !-- m -->http://www.ldolphin.org/sabbathrest.html< !-- m -->

The weekly sabbath ended at the cross. Paul specifically says this. In the letter to the Colossians he confirms it to us. In Chapter 2, beginning with Verse 13, he says,

And you, who were dead in trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses, having canceled the bond which stood against us with its legal demands; this he set aside, nailing it to the cross. He disarmed the principalities and powers and made a public example of them, triumphing over them in it [not him; it, the cross].

Therefore, let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a sabbath. These are only a shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ. (Colossians 2:13-17)

That should make it clear. This is why the claims of the Seventh Day Adventists, the Seventh Day Baptists, and other groups, that Christians changed the sabbath, are absurd, ridiculous. They claim that the Pope changed the sabbath by a papal edict from Saturday to Sunday, and that around the third or fourth century Christians began to celebrate Sunday rather than Saturday, out of obedience to this papal edict. But nothing could be further from the truth. History does not corroborate that in any degree. The Sabbath has always been Saturday and it always will be. It is the seventh day of the week. Sunday has always been the first day of the week. It has never been a sabbath, and it is pure legalism to call it a sabbath or to treat it as one. It is not a day of rest or restricted activity and it is not designed as such. It is the first day of the week; to Christians, the Lord's day.

The shadow-sabbath ended at the cross, as Paul has made clear. The next day was the day of resurrection, the day when the Lord Jesus came from the tomb. On that day a new day began -- the Lord's day. Christians immediately began to observe the Lord's day on the first day of the week. They ceased observing the Sabbath because it was ended by the fulfillment of its reality in the cross, and they began to observe the first day of the week. This is what you find reflected in the book of Acts. Justin Martyr, who writes from the 2nd century, says,

But Sunday is the day on which we all hold our common assembly, because it is the first day on which God, when he changed the darkness and matter, made the world; and Jesus Christ, our Savior, on the same day, rose from the dead.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

God has made a couple of everlasting covenants with Abraham and the Children of Israel:

Genesis 17:
7: And I will establish my covenant between me and thee and thy seed after thee in their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a God unto thee, and to thy seed after thee.
8: And I will give unto thee, and to thy seed after thee, the land wherein thou art a stranger, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession; and I will be their God.
9: And God said unto Abraham, Thou shalt keep my covenant therefore, thou, and thy seed after thee in their generations.
10: This is my covenant, which ye shall keep, between me and you and thy seed after thee; Every man child among you shall be circumcised.

Exodus 31:
16: Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.
17: It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.

The everlasting covenant was between God and the children of Israel.

The Lord's Day is the day when Jesus arose from the dead. The Tomb was discovered empty on the First day of the week.

Believers came together and broke bread on the first day of the week:

Acts 20:
7: And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.
8: And there were many lights in the upper chamber, where they were gathered together.
9: And there sat in a window a certain young man named Eutychus, being fallen into a deep sleep: and as Paul was long preaching, he sunk down with sleep, and fell down from the third loft, and was taken up dead.
10: And Paul went down, and fell on him, and embracing him said, Trouble not yourselves; for his life is in him.
11: When he therefore was come up again, and had broken bread, and eaten, and talked a long while, even till break of day, so he departed.
12: And they brought the young man alive, and were not a little comforted.

The Law was our schoolmaster to bring us to Christ but we are no longer under a schoolmaster:

Gal. 3:
24: Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
25: But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.
26: For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
27: For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
28: There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
29: And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Do not place the yoke of bondage of the Law upon the neck of the Believer.

Gal. 5:
1: Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.
2: Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing.
3: For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law.
4: Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.
5: For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.
6: For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth anything, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.

The Commandments of Christ:
1 John 3:
22: And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.
23: And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.
24: And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

Matt. 22:
36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Jesus is our Sabbath rest 24/7. Indeed I worship my LORD on the Sabbath, and on the Lord's Day, and on Tues. through Friday.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

45 SCRIPTURES PROVES 7th DAY SABBATH
James Paul Gerke Director

There are controversial subjects that the main stream Christian churches, have ignored
for over 1500 years. One of them, is The Ten Commandments, including The Seventh
Day Sabbath. Many believe that they have been done away with, or changed. You may
decide after reading this.
In the fourth century A.D. The Christian Church took a left turn. King Constantine changed
The 7th Day Sabbath worship to the first day of the week.

Keeping The Sabbath and The Ten Commandments is NOT unto salvation. Modeling
your life after them, will show your love, and obedience to Elohim. Your rewards in
heaven, maybe based on that. Yahshua said “ If you love Me, Keep My
Commandments“. (John 14:15)

This document is not linked to any one, denomination, although some do adhere to The
Ten Commandments. The writings here, will prove the validity of The Commandments
and The Sabbath. This will be done by showing scriptures that don’t have to be
interpreted, which will stand on their own.

Vague scriptures they choose, are for people who are inclined to put their own spin on
them. Most of the scriptures given, are after Yahshua was crucified. The reason is: many
are taught and believe that The Commandments, and The Seventh Day Sabbath,
were symbolically nailed to the cross. If they were, the following scriptures would not be
in the Bible.
(Luke 23:56) The women rested on The Sabbath, according to The Commandment.
(After His death.) (Mark 16:1) When The Sabbath was past, the women brought spices
to the tomb.

(Acts 13:14,15) Paul went into a synagogue on The Sabbath. The Law and the
Prophets were read. (Acts 13:27) The Prophets were read Every Sabbath.
Acts 14:42 The Gentiles begged the Apostles to preach to them on the next Sabbath.

Acts 13:44 Almost the whole city came to hear the word of Elohim on The Sabbath
(Acts 16:13) The Apostles went out of the city on The Sabbath, and preached to the
women. (Acts 17:2) Paul went into a synagogue and preached for Three Sabbaths to
the Thessalonians.

(Acts 18:4) Paul preached in Corinth’s synagogue Every Sabbath to the Israelites and
Greeks. (Acts 18:11) Paul continued there for a year and a half, teaching the Word of
Elohim. (That would amount to 78 Sabbaths.)
(Mark 2:27) Yahshua said “The Sabbath was made for Israel, and not Israel for The
Sabbath. “Oh!! excuse me,” Yahshua Messiah said “The Sabbath was made for
MANKIND.”

(Matthew 12:8) Yahshua said, “He is Master of The Sabbath Day.”
(Hebrews 13:8) “Yahshua Messiah is the same yesterday, and today, and for ever. ”
(Acts 1:12) The Apostles returned to Jerusalem, from a Sabbaths Day journey.

(Isaiah 58:13,14) Elohim said, “If you turn away your foot from The Sabbath. From
doing your own pleasure on My Holy Day, and call The Sabbath a delight. The Holy Day
of Yehovah Honorable, and Shall honor Him, not doing your own ways. Nor finding
your own pleasure, nor speaking your words. Then you shall delight yourself in the Lord.”

(Romans 10:12) There is no difference between Israelites and Greeks. (Gentiles) The
same Lord Over all, is rich unto all that call upon Him.
(Heb 4:9,10,11) “Therefore, there remains A Rest for the people of Elohim. For he who
has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works, as Elohim did from His.
Therefore be diligent to enter That Rest, lest anyone fall after the example of
disobedience”

“One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike”
(Romans 14:5) It doesn’t say anything, about The Sabbath, 10 Commandments
resting, or The law. These are the type of vague scriptures that people use, to put on
their own spin. They will try to refute, all the many scriptures, that prove the truth.

The Apostle Paul said “For I speak to you Gentiles; in as much as I am an Apostle to the
Gentiles. I magnify my ministry” (Romans 11:13) The Gentiles were mentioned about 100
Times in the New Testament. Most of the people, Paul preached to were Gentiles.
Would it not make sense, that he would have taught them, that The Law and The
Sabbath were done away with? As it was, the Gentiles craved his preaching on The
Sabbath.

Today’s church reasoning for changing to Sunday worship is: The Apostles came
together on that first day of the week to break bread, and Paul preached to Them. (Acts
20:7) Paul said nothing about change, that was ever noted in the Bible. As far as we
know, the scriptures show that Paul preached on Sunday only once.

Theologians say, “ We keep Sunday because, Yahshua rose on that day.” Again, no
authority to change it. In Daniel’s prophesy (Daniel 9:26,27) This was a double prophecy.
In 26 it talks about the 70 weeks (plural) Prophecy, when Yahshua was to be cut off
(killed). In 27 it talks about the sacrifices ending in the middle of the week (singular) The
Messiah was the Sacrificial Lamb.

The Bible week has always been seven days, and the middle of the week we now call
Wednesday. Do the math, Wednesday afternoon: to Saturday afternoon, is three days,
and three nights, just as Messiah predicted. (Matthew 12:40) The Israelites wanted
Yahshua taken off the cross that afternoon, after He died. It was preparation day for the
High Sabbath. The first day of Passover is a High Sabbath, (John 19:31) and no work
is to be done.

There were Two Sabbaths in that week: Thursday, Saturday and a preparation day for
each one. The Apostles and the women, didn’t visit the tomb again, until Sunday
morning. It was dark when they arrived, and no one witnessed the Messiah’s resurrection.
(John 20:1)

That morning: two people were walking, when Yahshua came upon them and asked, what
they were talking about? One said: “Are you a stranger? The Messiah was crucified, and
this is the third day this was done.” (Luke 24:17-21)

Remember, a day, is still a day and a night, which is 24 hours. The following explanation
ties it all together. “ When Yahshua was risen, early the first day of the week, He
appeared to Mary.” (Mark 16:9) Punctuations were not added to the Bible until the 9th
century A.D. In the 1611 Bible edition, the comma was put after early.

In the modern day Bible, it was put after the word week. Apparently those translators
weren’t inspired of Elohim. When the comma is put after the word risen. This proves
that all the factual evidence shows. Yahshua Messiah had already risen just before sun
down on Saturday night. In the Bible and Israelite tradition, sun down to sun down is a
day.

Would the Messiah be resurrected in the dark, when the Bible compares it to evil? (John
3:19,20) Would the Messiah be resurrected on a day that the pagans were worshiping the
sun god on pagan Easter? Or would Yahshua be resurrected on a day that was
Sanctified, Blessed, Hallowed, and written in stone by our Creator Elohim? Not a difficult
choice.

The Sabbath is the Fourth Commandment, and the last book of the Bible says. Keep
Elohim's 10 Commandments, (Revelations 12:17- 14:12- 22:14) Yahshua and the
Apostles kept them. There are no scriptures or authority in the Bible, that changes the 7th
Day Sabbath for another, or eliminates it.

They say, the days of the week have been changed over the centuries. Not so, only the
dates have been changed. An example is the leap year, we change only the date and not
the days of the week. The Israelites have never lost sight of The 7th Day Sabbath.
(Romans 3:2)

Some say: “We can keep any day we want for The Sabbath. Elohim was very emphatic
on which day, and how The Sabbath is to be kept. Elohim said. “Remember THE
Seventh Day, not A seventh day. “There remains a rest for the people of Elohim: for he
who has entered His rest, has also ceased from his works, as Elohim did from His” (Heb
4:9-11)

The following can’t be emphasized enough.Elohim said three times in the Old Testament,
and three times in the New. “If you love Me. You will Keep The Commandments.”
(Exodus 20:6) (Deuteronomy 5:10) (Nehemiah 1:5) (John 11:15) ( 1 John 5:2,3)

Some won’t accept all Bible teaching, you have to make a decision. The Big problem for
most, is That Sabbath. “Why should I give up: Friday night T.V, or the movies, Saturday
swap meets, shopping, or the beach after? I have work, and things to do on Saturdays. I
would have to change my whole life style. Just because the CREATOR of the universe:
inspired words to be written down, in a book thousands of years ago, called the Bible.

“Be doers of the WORD, and not hearers, only deceiving Yourselves.” (James 1:22)
Why do I keep the Sabbath? Because it's a day that I can show Elohim that I love Him.
You May say that you can love Him everyday, which is true. Elohim said "If you love Me,
keep the Commandments", and Honor Him on the Sabbath Day.

There are people that honor Elohim on Sunday, Which is wonderful, as any day you
honor Him. The one problem is that Elohim did not sanctify it or make it Holy. It is not
that it's evil to keep Sunday for the sabbath. It is just that Elohim did not make it a Holy
Day unto Elohim.

People want to keep the sabbath on Sunday, because their preacher told them to. When
you get right down to it. It started at the seminary, but even before that, it started around
the fourth century. We all know that the Catholic Church changed the Sabbath to the first
day of the week.

What I can't figure out is why they don't believe the Bible. The apostle Paul in Acts
preached over 80 times on the Seventh Day Sabbath. The Protestants have protested
the Catholic churches doctrines, so why do they keep following their doctrines? I wish
that someday they would wake up and smell the roses. Actually, I mean when they start
reading the Bible.

In the past I have given my email at the top of the page. I received hate emails from
people I knew, didn't read the document, by their comments. I assume you have, and if
you will give constructive criticism without hate, I would gladly reply. bottomlinez@yahoo.
com

Proverbs

Do not withhold good from those whom it is due. When it is in the power of your hand to
do so. Do not say to your neighbor go and come back, and tomorrow I will give it when
you have it with you. The Lord said to give attention to my words incline your ear to my
sayings. Do not let them depart from your eyes keep them in the middle of your heart,
for they are life to those who find them and health to all their flesh. Put away from you, a
deceitful full mouth and put perverse lips far from you, let your eyes look straight ahead.
And your eyelids look right before you. Ponder the path of your feet and let all your ways
be established do not turn to the right or the left. Remove your foot from evil.

--------------------

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But NO ONE was commanded to keep the Sabbath before Moses, and NO ONE has been commanded to keep it since Christ.
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 3 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Christ was dead on Israel's Sabbath. If He is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth, He is the end of the Sabbath to every one that believeth. Time varies by hours in different parts of this world. It is impossible to have a universal Sabbath. Friday sundown in New York would not be Friday sundown in China, or even in San Francisco. The Sabbath was a sign between Jehovah and His earthly people. Members of Christ's Body are seated in the heavenlies and are not to be judged by Sabbath prohibitions and law ordinances. Colossians 2:15 to 19. Sunday is not the Christian Sabbath, Christ is the Christian's rest. Law, without a fixed penalty, is only advice. When God had His people under the law, He had Levites to throw stones.

--------------------
That is all.....

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 18 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will say it again...it is not about keeping a day!

It is about agreeing with Yahweh.

He created the world...

He Blessed one day above all other days, He called it Holy,....

Yahweh does not change His mind....He is the same Yesterday, Today, Forever....

whatever a type and shadow represents it always represents...

people with agendas try to confuse what Yahweh has made very simple....

I agree with Yahweh the 7th day is His Sabbath if you want to keep a day!

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

quote:
Since the Sabbath was given to man at Creation, Christ kept the very same seventh-day given at the time man was created.
Could you show us where the Bible says that God told Adam and Eve to keep the Sabbath, before or after the fall?

As for Christ (did you say Christ? I'm proud of you) keeping the Sabbath, He fulfilled all of the Law perfectly. Otherwise He would not have been qualified to be the Christ. He fulfilled the Law and the Prophets.

barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Is the Sabbath Commanded for Christians Today?

An examination of the gospels clearly shows Jesus Christ kept the seventh-day Sabbath. The Bible tells us He is our example (1 John 2:6). Knowledgeable people are aware that time has not been lost and that the seventh-day of the week today is the same seventh-day of the week Jesus kept. Since the Sabbath was given to man at Creation, Christ kept the very same seventh-day given at the time man was created. The book of Luke tells us, “And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read” (Luke 4:16). The account tells us that Jesus attended worship services on the Sabbath and participated in the reading. There are other examples in the gospels. See Luke 6:6. “And it came to pass also on another sabbath, that he entered into the synagogue and taught . . . .” Also, Luke 13:10. “And he was teaching in one of the synagogues on the sabbath.”

Jesus was carefully scrutinized by the religious leaders who were looking to find fault in what He did. He was accused of healing the sick on the Sabbath (Luke 6:6-11; 13:11-17, John 9:16), an act which the religious leaders thought was wrong. He was accused of Sabbath-breaking because His disciples ate a small amount of grain while walking through a field on the Sabbath day. In these cases Jesus showed how these accusations were unfounded and that as the “Lord of the Sabbath” (Mark 2:28) He knew how to properly observe the Sabbath. Jesus told these Jews what their real problem really was. “. . . Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me. Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men. For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do. And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition” (Mark 7:6-9).

The religious leaders in Jesus’ day added so many restrictions and rules that they made the Sabbath day a burden rather than the joy God intended it to be. Jesus Christ set the perfect example. He demonstrated that the Sabbath was a day of physical rest and spiritual rejuvenation, a day to good to others should the opportunity arise. Jesus came to magnify the Law of God and to make it honorable (Isa. 42:21). He said, “Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to [fill full]. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled” (Matt. 5:17-18).

New Testament Examples of Sabbath-Keeping
Christ was not the only servant of God who kept the Sabbath. The Apostle Paul is a case in point. Church historians admit that not even the pagan elements which crept into the Christian church could erase the Law of God from the writings of the Apostle Paul. It is clear from Paul’s writings that he upheld the commandments and the Law of God. Various churches in Asia Minor, where Paul did most of his work, continued keeping the Sabbath as late as the fourth century. A number of texts in the book of Acts clearly demonstrate that Paul kept the Sabbath. Here is what we read in Acts, chapter thirteen: “But when they departed from Perga, they came to Antioch in Pisidia, and went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and sat down” (v. 14). Paul was the apostle who supposedly repudiated the Law of God in favor of “Christian freedom and self-expression,” so what was he doing in the synagogue on the Sabbath day? To have attended the synagogue on the Sabbath while repudiating Sabbath-keeping would have generated endless confusion among the Christian brethren, as well as setting the wrong example. The fact is: The very act of attending the synagogue on the Sabbath is proof Paul kept the Sabbath. He did not keep Sunday-the first day of the week-as a day of worship. We find in Acts, chapter thirteen, that Paul preached in the synagogue on the Sabbath, and his sermon was so powerful that the Gentiles asked Paul to preach to them on the next Sabbath! And on that following Sabbath almost all of the city came to hear Paul preach! (v.44). Clearly, Paul kept the Sabbath and the Gentile converts kept the Sabbath too.

Notice Acts 17:2 for even more proof. “And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures,” (Acts 17:2). It was Paul’s custom to attend the synagogue on the Sabbath. We find the same thing in Acts, chapter eighteen. “After these things Paul departed from Athens, and came to Corinth. . . . And he reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks . . . and many of the Corinthians hearing believed, and were baptized” (Acts 18:1,4, 8). Here we see Gentile converts attending the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and as a result of Paul’s preaching were converted. What this points out is that New Testament Christians kept the Sabbath.

Paul emphasized in his letters that he had set the right example. “Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ” (1 Cor. 11:1). “Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample” (Ph’p. 3:17). “Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you” (Ph’p. 4:9). “For ye, brethren, became followers of the churches of God which in Judaea are in Christ Jesus: for ye also have suffered like things of your own countrymen, even as they have of the Jews” (1 Thess. 2:14).

Some who oppose the Sabbath do so on the grounds that there is no New Testament command to keep the Sabbath. Is this a true statement? Take a look at Hebrews, chapter four. An examination of this chapter reveals that Paul is making a comparison between the rest that Israel received when the people entered the promised land and the rest Christians will receive when they enter the Kingdom of God. The word “rest,” in verses one through eight, is from the Greek word katapausis, which means “a place of resting down.” But when we come to verse nine, we have a change in Greek words. “Rest” in verse nine is from the Greek word sabbatismos, which means “keeping of a sabbath.” The verse should be translated, “There remaineth therefore a keeping of the sabbath to the people of God” (Heb. 4:9). There is a lesson in types and antitypes here. Man has been given a weekly cycle of seven days-six days of labor, followed by a Sabbath day of rest. The Sabbath is a type of the Millennium. Since the Kingdom of God will be established during the Millennium-the 1000 year period-as a time of rest from sin and evil, the weekly cycle is a type of man’s 6000 years of sin and rebellion against God. This is why Paul states, “There remaineth therefore a keeping of the Sabbath to the people of God” (Heb. 4:9). The Authorized Version is incorrect in translating this word as “rest.” The fact is: God’s Sabbath day should be kept today; it is a type of the purpose God is working out here below in His plan of salvation.

Sabbath Created by Christ
The Apostle John made it plain that Jesus Christ was the God of the Old Testament. Notice what John writes, “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. . . . “And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth” (John 1:1-3, 14). Of Christ, Paul wrote, “For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him” (Col. 1:16). Scripture clearly states that Jesus Christ was the Creator of this earth (Eph. 3:9, Heb. 1:10; 2:10) and the God of the Old Testament. As Jesus Christ of the New Testament, He was manifested in the flesh. “Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea; And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea; And did all eat the same spiritual meat; And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ” (1 Cor. 10:1-4).

Christ created the Sabbath during the Creation week. “And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made” (Gen. 2:2-3). The Sabbath was created for the benefit of man. Jesus stated, “. . . The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath: Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath” (Mark 2:27-28). The Sabbath that Jesus created was the seventh-day Sabbath-Saturday, the seventh day of the week. It is the only day that God has ever sanctified or set apart as a day of worship!

Christ Revealed the Sabbath to Israel
While the Sabbath was revealed to man at Creation, it was generally ignored. In the pre-Flood world only a few men were obedient to God. Enoch and Noah were examples of these, and were exceptions. After the Flood we find Abraham obeyed God. Of him God said, “. . . Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws” (Gen. 26:5). During their slavery in Egypt the children of Israel had lost all knowledge of the Sabbath. When Christ, as the God of the Old Testament, delivered them from Egypt He gave the following instruction to Moses:

Then said the Lord unto Moses, Behold, I will rain bread from heaven for you; and the people shall go out and gather a certain rate every day, that I may prove them, whether they will walk in my law, or no. And it shall come to pass, that on the sixth day they shall prepare that which they bring in; and it shall be twice as much as they gather daily. . . . And it came to pass, that on the sixth day they gathered twice as much bread, two omers for one man: and all the rulers of the congregation came and told Moses. And he said unto them, This is that which the Lord hath said, To morrow is the rest of the holy sabbath unto the Lord: bake that which ye will bake to day, and seethe that ye will seethe; and that which remaineth over lay up for you to be kept until the morning. . . . Six days ye shall gather it; but on the seventh day, which is the sabbath, in it there shall be none. . . . See, for that the Lord hath given you the sabbath, therefore he giveth you on the sixth day the bread of two days; abide ye every man in his place, let no man go out of his place on the seventh day. So the people rested on the seventh day (Ex. 16:4-5, 22-23, 26, 29-30).

This instruction also includes the need to recognize Friday as the preparation day for the Sabbath.

In Exodus, chapter twenty, the command to observe the Sabbath day is included in the Ten Commandments. It is the fourth commandment.

Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it (Ex. 20:8-11).

This command emphasizes the need to remember the Sabbath as a day of rest. It had been previously revealed to them by the miracle of the manna as we see recorded in Exodus, chapter sixteen.

There are many commands in the Old Testament regarding the weekly Sabbath. Let us note a few of them.

Six days thou shalt do thy work, and on the seventh day thou shalt rest: that thine ox and thine *** may rest, and the son of thy handmaid, and the stranger, may be refreshed (Ex. 23:12).

Six days thou shalt work, but on the seventh day thou shalt rest: in earing time and in harvest thou shalt rest (Ex. 34:21).

Six days shall work be done, but on the seventh day there shall be to you an holy day, a sabbath of rest to the Lord: whosoever doeth work therein shall be put to death (Ex. 35:2).

Ye shall fear every man his mother, and his father, and keep my sabbaths: I am the Lord your God. . . . Ye shall keep my sabbaths, and reverence my sanctuary: I am the Lord (Lev. 19:3, 30).

Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the sabbath of the Lord in all your dwellings (Lev. 23:3).

Ye shall keep my sabbaths, and reverence my sanctuary: I am the Lord (Lev. 26:2).

Keep the sabbath day to sanctify it, as the Lord thy God hath commanded thee. Six days thou shalt labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, nor thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thine ox, nor thine *** , nor any of thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates; that thy manservant and thy maidservant may rest as well as thou (Deut. 5:12-14).

The following instructions regarding violations of the Sabbath day are plainly spelled out in the Scriptures.

And if the people of the land bring ware or any victuals on the sabbath day to sell, that we would not buy it of them on the sabbath, or on the holy day: and that we would leave the seventh year, and the exaction of every debt (Neh. 10:31).

In those days saw I in Judah some treading wine presses on the sabbath, and bringing in sheaves, and lading asses; as also wine, grapes, and figs, and all manner of burdens, which they brought into Jerusalem on the sabbath day: and I testified against them in the day wherein they sold victuals. There dwelt men of Tyre also therein, which brought fish, and all manner of ware, and sold on the sabbath unto the children of Judah, and in Jerusalem. Then I contended with the nobles of Judah, and said unto them, What evil thing is this that ye do, and profane the sabbath day? Did not your fathers thus, and did not our God bring all this evil upon us, and upon this city? yet ye bring more wrath upon Israel by profaning the sabbath. And it came to pass, that when the gates of Jerusalem began to be dark before the sabbath, I commanded that the gates should be shut, and charged that they should not be opened till after the sabbath: and some of my servants set I at the gates, that there should no burden be brought in on the sabbath day (Neh. 13:15-19).

Thus saith the Lord; Take heed to yourselves, and bear no burden on the sabbath day, nor bring it in by the gates of Jerusalem; Neither carry forth a burden out of your houses on the sabbath day, neither do ye any work, but hallow ye the sabbath day, as I commanded your fathers (Jer. 17:2-22).

The Law of God-Its Importance
The Sabbath is one of the Ten Commandments. As such it is an important part of the Law of God. What do the Scriptures say about the Law of God?

The works of his hands are verity and judgment; all his commandments are sure. They stand fast for ever and ever, and are done in truth and uprightness. . . . The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments (Ps. 111:7-8, 10).

Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever (Ps. 119:160).

Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good. . . . For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin (Rom. 7:12, 14).

The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple. The statutes of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes. The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether. More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb. Moreover by them is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward (Ps. 19:7-11).

Jesus Christ was the God who gave this law. “Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever” (Heb. 13:8). He does not change and His law does not change. What does He say about His nature and what is the instruction for those who refuse to obey the Law of God? “And I will come near to you to judgment; and I will be a swift witness against the sorcerers, and against the adulterers, and against false swearers, and against those that oppress the hireling in his wages, the widow, and the fatherless, and that turn aside the stranger from his right, and fear not me, saith the Lord of hosts. For I am the Lord, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed” (Mal. 3:5-6). While He does not consume the sons of Jacob, there is much evil among them that must eventually be repented of.

How Important Is the Sabbath?
There are a number of texts in the Bible that show the importance of Sabbath-keeping. Notice the following:

Blessed is the man that doeth this, and the son of man that layeth hold on it; that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and keepeth his hand from doing any evil. Neither let the son of the stranger, that hath joined himself to the Lord, speak, saying, The Lord hath utterly separated me from his people: neither let the eunuch say, Behold, I am a dry tree. For thus saith the Lord unto the eunuchs that keep my sabbaths, and choose the things that please me, and take hold of my covenant; Even unto them will I give in mine house and within my walls a place and a name better than of sons and of daughters: I will give them an everlasting name, that shall not be cut off. Also the sons of the stranger, that join themselves to the Lord, to serve him, and to love the name of the Lord, to be his servants, every one that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and taketh hold of my covenant; Even them will I bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer: their burnt offerings and their sacrifices shall be accepted upon mine altar; for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people (Isa. 56:2-7).

If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the Lord, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words: Then shalt thou delight thyself in the Lord; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it (Isa. 58:13-14).

And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the Lord. And they shall go forth, and look upon the carcases of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they shall be an abhorring unto all flesh (Isa. 66:23-24).

The Sabbath-an Identifying Sign
The true people of God are identified by the seventh-day Sabbath. Notice what the Bible says.

Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the Lord that doth sanctify you. Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people. Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the Lord: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death. Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant. It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed (Ex. 31:13-17).

What we see in the above text is that the Sabbath was not only given as an identifying sign but as a perpetual covenant for all generations. The reason the Jewish people have not been lost from sight is due to their fidelity in observing the seventh-day Sabbath. The idea, however, that the Sabbath was given to the Jews, while Sunday is the “Lord’s Day” for the Gentiles is absolutely false. The only day ever given as a day of worship in both the Old and New Testaments is the seventh-day Sabbath. Christians, whether Israelites or Gentiles, are commanded to keep the seventh-day Sabbath. This is readily seen by what took place in the New Testament church, as recorded in the book of Acts.

One of the main reasons the ten tribes of Israel were driven from their land and lost from sight in history was because of Sabbath-breaking. The Bible tells us:

Wherefore I caused them to go forth out of the land of Egypt, and brought them into the wilderness. And I gave them my statutes, and shewed them my judgments, which if a man do, he shall even live in them. Moreover also I gave them my sabbaths, to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the Lord that sanctify them. . . . I am the Lord your God; walk in my statutes, and keep my judgments, and do them; And hallow my sabbaths; and they shall be a sign between me and you, that ye may know that I am the Lord your God. Notwithstanding the children rebelled against me: they walked not in my statutes, neither kept my judgments to do them, which if a man do, he shall even live in them; they polluted my sabbaths: then I said, I would pour out my fury upon them, to accomplish my anger against them in the wilderness. . . . I lifted up mine hand unto them also in the wilderness, that I would scatter them among the heathen, and disperse them through the countries (Ezek. 20:10-12, 19-21, 23).

Sabbath-breaking was one of the national sins of ancient Israel, just like it is in our land today. Jesus Christ, the God of the Old Testament, is the same yesterday, today, and forever. His law does not change. We will be judged as a nation and as a people for refusing to take seriously the Bible command to keep the Sabbath.

Is the “Lord’s Day” Sunday?
Catholic scholars do not hesitate to tell us that it was church authority and not the Bible that established Sunday as a day of worship. Sunday, as we know, is the first day of the week, not the seventh. Cardinal Gibbons, in 1893, stated that the Church changed the day of worship from Saturday, the seventh-day of the week, to Sunday, the first-day of the week. When he was asked if Christ had changed the day of worship to Sunday, the Cardinal replied “no.” The Catholic view was clearly stated by T. Enright, a Catholic priest, who said that Protestants have no right to observe Sunday since it was the Catholic Church alone who changed the day of rest from Saturday to Sunday. He added that everyone knows Sunday is the first-day of the week, while Saturday is the seventh-day, the day that was consecrated as a day of rest. Furthermore, he said Sunday is not the Sabbath of the Bible, and when Protestants observe Sunday they acknowledge the power of the Catholic Church.

Even leading Protestant clergyman do not hesitate to admit that Sunday, as a day of worship, is not authorized by the Bible. Dr. Edward T. Hiscox, a Baptist, said there was a Biblical command to keep the Sabbath, not Sunday, and that the day of worship was transferred from the seventh-day of the week to the first. When he was asked where there was a record that showed this transfer, he said it was not in the New Testament. Dr. R.W. Dale, a British theologian and Congregationalist, said that while the Sabbath was founded on a specific, divine command, we can plead no such command for the obligation to observe Sunday.

An examination of the New Testament demonstrates that every reference to the first day of the week shows it to be a work day. For example, Matthew 28:1, Mark 16:2, Luke 24:1, and John 20:1 all show Sunday morning to be the time when the women came to the tomb of Jesus in order to prepare him for burial. Sunday morning was a time of work, not a time of worship. John 20:19 shows us that the disciples were hiding for fear of the Jews; they were not gathered for worship. In Acts 20:7-8 the disciples gathered to break bread and Paul continued his speech until midnight. An examination of the text reveals that the meeting was on Saturday night. This was on the first day of the week since Biblical days end at sundown. Paul had been there for a Sabbath meeting and continued preaching until Saturday at midnight thus making the meeting extend into the first day of the week. Notice what happened the next morning. Paul began walking from Troas to Assos, a distance of nineteen and one-half miles (vv. 11, 13-14). This first day of the week was a workday, not a day for worship. In 1 Corinthians 16:1-3 each saint is admonished to “lay by him in store” on the first day of the week. Notice the word “day” is not found in the original Greek. The text merely states, “Upon the first of the week.” The call was for a collection for the needy saints in Jerusalem (v. 3). Paul and his company wished to take this offering to Jerusalem. Acts 11:29-30 illustrates what was often done in times of need. The saints needed food, not money from a Sunday collection plate. To lay in store meant the saints were to store up their contributions in their own homes until Paul could gather the goods to take with him. Why on the first of the week? Because Paul intended to arrive in Corinth early in the week and to leave before the following weekend. Paul did not want to delay his journey to Jerusalem once he arrived in Corinth. This text, along with those above, clearly show that Sunday, the first day of the week, was a workday.

What is the Lord’s Day if it is not Sunday? Notice what we read in the gospel of Mark. “And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath: Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath” (Mark 2:27-28).

It is not without reason that Sabbath-keepers observe the weekly Sabbath from Friday night at sundown until Saturday night at sundown. This is the day for observing the only time period ever commanded in the Bible as a day of worship

--------------------

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PART TWO

How do I make Jesus Lord of my life?

The key is understanding that Jesus is already Lord of your life. We do not make Jesus Lord. Jesus is Lord. What we are supposed to do is submit to His lordship. Another word for our response to Jesus’ Lordship is “submission.” To submit is to yield to the will and control of another, and, with reference to Christians, it is yielding to the will and control of Jesus Christ. This means that when Scripture commands believers to love one another (John 15:17), that is what is to be done. It means that when Scripture says we are not to commit adultery or steal (Exodus 20:14-15), these things are not to be done. It should be understood that submission, or obedience to the commands of God, is related to Christian growth and maturity, and is not related to becoming a Christian. A person becomes a Christian by faith alone in Christ apart from works (Ephesians 2:8-9).

We should realize that complete obedience cannot be accomplished simply by willing it to be done or in the strength of one’s inner being. It will not happen simply because we “decide” to do it. This is because even believers are prone to sinful conduct and thoughts apart from the work and power of the Holy Spirit. In order to be obedient, we must rely on the power provided by the indwelling Holy Spirit (John 14:16-17). This in itself is an act of obedience, for we are commanded in Ephesians 5:18 to be filled with the Spirit. This doesn’t mean that a believer gets more of the Spirit, but rather that the Spirit gets more of the believer—which is the whole idea of submission. Being filled with the Spirit is yielding to the Spirit’s control. Practically speaking, this happens as a believer responds positively to the leading of the Holy Spirit. By this is not meant feeling that one is being lead into full-time Christian ministry and obeying that feeling, although this may be included. Rather, it refers to the day-to-day decisions we make, such as responding kindly to someone who has mistreated us (Romans 12:17); being truthful in our communication with others (Ephesians 4:25); being honest in our business dealings (Ephesians 4:28); spending time in prayer and studying God’s Word as we are commanded (2 Timothy 2:15). These are a just a few examples of daily decisions that demonstrate submissiveness to Christ.

It is also important to note that even when we fail to obey, God has made a provision for that so that we can remain in fellowship with Him. First John 1:9 says, “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.” Even this is part of submission and obedience—to confess our sins to God so that we can remain in fellowship with Him. It is important to note that when tough decisions arise, the first thing we should do is pray, asking the Lord to help us to make the right decision and/or be obedient to what we already know is right from the Word.

To sum up the idea of the Lordship of Christ, it does not consist of one act of obedience but rather is measured by the sum of our obedience, and it cannot be accomplished in our own strength or power, but by the power available to us by the indwelling Holy Spirit. We are strongest when we are relying on Him (2 Corinthians 12:10).

http://www.gotquestions.org/Jesus-Lord.html

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

PART ONE

quote:
Sister Carol States:

quote:
You keep dancing back and forth between the Old and New Covenants. There are commands in the New Covenant we are to obey; we are not without law. But it is not the law of the Old Covenant.

If you want to adhere to the Old Covenant law, you have to keep ALL of it, not just the Ten Commandments. It cannot be divided

So Sister your saying the "Old Covenant Law" is what? Please List:

Tell me what is the "New Covenant Law" Your under?

So i can see exactly what your saying..

barry, barry, so contrary, how does your testimony grow?  -

THE OLD COVENANT

The Mosaic Covenant is a conditional covenant made between God and the nation of Israel at Mount Sinai (Exodus 19-24). It is sometimes called the Sinai Covenant but is more often referred to as the Mosaic Covenant since Moses was God’s chosen leader of Israel at that time. The pattern of the covenant is very similar to other ancient covenants of that time because it is between a sovereign king (God) and his people or subjects (Israel). At the time of the covenant, God reminded the people of their obligation to be obedient to His law (Exodus 19:5), and the people agreed to the covenant when they said, “All that the Lord has spoken we will do!” (Exodus 19:8). This covenant would serve to set the nation of Israel apart from all other nations as God’s chosen people and was as equally binding as the unconditional covenant that God made with Abraham because it is also a blood covenant. The Mosaic Covenant is a significant covenant in both God’s redemptive history and in the history of the nation of Israel through whom God would sovereignly choose to bless the world with both His written Word and the Living Word, Jesus Christ.

The Mosaic Covenant was centered around God's giving His divine law to Moses on Mount Sinai. In understanding the different covenants in the Bible and their relationship with one another, it is important to understand that the Mosaic Covenant differs significantly from the Abrahamic Covenant and later biblical covenants because it is conditional in that the blessings that God promises are directly related to Israel’s obedience to the Mosaic Law. If Israel is obedient, then God will bless them, but if they disobey, then God will punish them. The blessings and curses that are associated with this conditional covenant are found in detail in Deuteronomy 28. The other covenants found in the Bible are unilateral covenants of promise, in which God binds Himself to do what He promised, regardless of what the recipients of the promises might do. On the other hand the Mosaic Covenant is a bilateral agreement, which specifies the obligations of both parties to the covenant.

The Mosaic Covenant is especially significant because in it God promises to make Israel “a kingdom of priests and a holy nation” (Exodus 19:6). Israel was to be God’s light to the dark world around them. They were to be a separate and called-out nation so that everyone around them would know that they worshiped Yahweh, the covenant-keeping God. It is significant because it is here that Israel received the Mosaic Law that was to be a schoolmaster pointing the way towards the coming of Christ (Galatians 3:24-25). The Mosaic Law would reveal to people their sinfulness and their need for a Savior, and it is the Mosaic Law that Christ Himself said that He did not come to abolish but to fulfill. This is an important point because some people get confused by thinking that keeping the Law saved people in the Old Testament, but the Bible is clear that salvation has always been by faith alone, and the promise of salvation by faith that God had made to Abraham as part of the Abrahamic Covenant still remained in effect (Galatians 3:16-18).

Also, the sacrificial system of the Mosaic Covenant did not really take away sins (Hebrews 10:1-4); it simply foreshadowed the bearing of sin by Christ, the perfect high priest Who was also the perfect sacrifice (Hebrews 9:11-28). Therefore, the Mosaic Covenant itself, with all its detailed laws, could not save people. It is not that there was any problem with the Law itself, for the Law is perfect and was given by a holy God, but the Law had no power to give people new life, and the people were not able to obey the Law perfectly (Galatians 3:21).

The Mosaic Covenant is also referred to as the Old Covenant (2 Corinthians 3:14; Hebrews 8:6, 13) and was replaced by the New Covenant in Christ (Luke 22:20; 1 Corinthians 11:25; 2 Corinthians 3:6; Hebrews 8:8; 8:13; 9:15; 12:24). The New Covenant in Christ is far better than the old Mosaic Covenant that it replaces because it fulfills the promises made in Jeremiah 31:31-34, as quoted in Hebrews 8.

THE NEW COVENANT

The new covenant is spoken about first in the book of Jeremiah. The old covenant that God had established with His people required obedience to the Old Testament Mosaic law. Because the wages of sin is death (Romans 6:23), the law required that people perform rituals and sacrifices in order to please God and remain in His grace. The prophet Jeremiah predicted that there would be a time when God would make a new covenant with the nation of Israel.

"'The day will come,' says the Lord, 'when I will make a new covenant with the people of Israel and Judah. . . . But this is the new covenant I will make with the people of Israel on that day,' says the Lord. 'I will put my law in their minds, and I will write them on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people'" (Jeremiah 31:31, 33). Jesus Christ came to fulfill the law of Moses (Matthew 5:17) and create a new covenant between God and His people. The old covenant was written in stone, but the new covenant is written on our hearts, made possible only by faith in Christ, who shed His own blood to atone for the sins of the world. Luke 22:20 says, "After supper, [Jesus] took another cup of wine and said, 'This wine is the token of God's new covenant to save you – an agreement sealed with the blood I will pour out for you.'"

Now that we are under the new covenant, we are not under the penalty of the law. We are now given the opportunity to receive salvation as a free gift (Ephesians 2:8-9). Through the life-giving Holy Spirit who lives in all believers (Romans 8:9-11), we can now share in the inheritance of Christ and enjoy a permanent, unbroken relationship with God. Hebrews 9:15 declares, “For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that He has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant.”

http://www.gotquestions.org/new-covenant.html

Someone made a list of all the New Covenant commandments which I find to be a very handy reference tool.

NEW TESTAMENT COMMANDMENTS
http://thechristianbbs.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000888

barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Sister Betty states:

quote:
Barry,

Heaven is going to mighty small since only people who attend your Church are going to be there.
Betty

First Strive to enter in for narrow is the way and "FEW" there be that find it!

Second either we are the "church" [eklesia] or were not..there is no such thing as your "church" or my "church"

--------------------

barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Sister Carol States:

quote:
You keep dancing back and forth between the Old and New Covenants. There are commands in the New Covenant we are to obey; we are not without law. But it is not the law of the Old Covenant.

If you want to adhere to the Old Covenant law, you have to keep ALL of it, not just the Ten Commandments. It cannot be divided

So Sister your saying the "Old Covenant Law" is what? Please List:

Tell me what is the "New Covenant Law" Your under?

So i can see exactly what your saying..

--------------------

Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Barry,

Heaven is going to mighty small since only people who attend your Church are going to be there. [Eek!]
Betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

If you want to adhere to the Old Covenant law, you have to keep ALL of it, not just the Ten Commandments. It cannot be divided.

barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Brother Drew states:

quote:
No Dale!!!

We do not need to take the Law of Moses down from the Cross and yoke it to the believers.

When we have the indwelling presence of Christ we go so far beyond the ten commandments, and Jesus is our Sabbath rest not the Sabbath Day ONLY given to the Children of Israel.

Absolutely proposperous my Brother!

If the Law,ten Commandments, etc was nailed to the cross and "done away with" as you propose then::

without a law there is NO penalty for sin, and if no penalty for sin then OSAS would be right.

But to do that as you propose Sir.....One would have to throw out most all of the new testement....

Why would Paul constantly warn to walk circumspect????

WHY?

If there is no law then there is no penaltyfor breaking YHWH's LAW!

Why would he say: For Yahweh is not MOCKED, whatsoever a man soweth that shall he also REA_P:

Galatians 6
1Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.

2Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.

3For if a man think himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceiveth himself.

4But let every man prove his own work, and then shall he have rejoicing in himself alone, and not in another.

5For every man shall bear his own burden.

6Let him that is taught in the word communicate unto him that teacheth in all good things.

7Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

8For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.

9And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.

10As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith.

NOTICE BROTHER NOTICE BROTHER NOTICE BROTHER

8For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.

GOD YHWH WILL NOTBE MOCKED>>>YOU SIN AND NO REPENTANCE YOUR DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF IF IF IF ; the law is gone..WHY would Paul make such a stattement.......For BIBLE says :

Romans 5
1Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:

2By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

3And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;

4And patience, experience; and experience, hope:

5And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

6For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.

7For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die.

8But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

9Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.

10For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

11And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement.

12Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

13(For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.

14Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.

15But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.

16And not as it was by one that sinned, so is the gift: for the judgment was by one to condemnation, but the free gift is of many offences unto justification.

17For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)

18Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.

19For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

20Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound:

21That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.

13(For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.

Speaking here of Moses and the TEN COMMANDMENTS

My Goodness man wake up!

barry

--------------------

barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Brother Dale States:

quote:
Drew, the Law of Mose's is nailed to the cross but Yahweh's Law is in your heart if you are a believer! Indwelling presence of Christ is The Law of Yahweh expressing the nature of Yahweh in the life of the believer that walks after the Spirit!

to me it is not about a day, it is about not calling Yahweh a liar!

if I understand the topic question...

What day is the real Sabbath and why?

there is no argument in my mind the Sabbath is Saturday not Sunday.

Yahweh himself set it aside and called it Holy.

if Yahweh called it Holy, I will call it Holy.

--------------------

[thumbsup2]

--------------------

Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

A Christian has no true Sabbath Day. Jesus is our Sabbath. We are free to worship Jesus 7 days a week. As Christians most of us set aside Sunday to go to Church, but we are not restricted to worship only on Sundays.
Betty

--------------------

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 18 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Drew, the Law of Mose's is nailed to the cross but Yahweh's Law is in your heart if you are a believer!

Indwelling presence of Christ is The Law of Yahweh expressing the nature of Yahweh in the life of the believer that walks after the Spirit!

to me it is not about a day, it is about not calling Yahweh a liar!

if I understand the topic question...

What day is the real Sabbath and why?

there is no argument in my mind the Sabbath is Saturday not Sunday.

Yahweh himself set it aside and called it Holy.

if Yahweh called it Holy, I will call it Holy.

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're walking on a path. It's very difficult and you have to watch every step. Suddenly the path ends at the edge of a cliff. There is a cross reaching over to the other side, like a bridge. You trust the cross and go to the other side. When you get there, you meet Jesus. You ask Him, "Lord, how can I continue on the path to reach Heaven?" And He answers you, "You cannot. There is no path to Heaven. Man cannot reach God by his own efforts." So you ask, "Then Lord, how shall I get to Heaven?" And He tells you, "I AM the way."

"I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me." (John 14:6)

Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No Dale!!!

We do not need to take the Law of Moses down from the Cross and yoke it to the believers.

When we have the indwelling presence of Christ we go so far beyond the ten commandments, and Jesus is our Sabbath rest not the Sabbath Day ONLY given to the Children of Israel.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

A few important questions to ask yourself or your Pastor

# 1 Is it a sin to have any other gods before the true God? the answer is a sharp yes!

# 2 Is it a sin to bow down to idol? Again the answers are a sharp yes!

# 3 Is it wrong to take the name of the Lord in vain? The answer is a sharp yes!

Just skip the fourth commandment and go to the 5th commandment which says honor thy father and thy mother, Is it wrong to disobey your parents? The question is a sharp yes!

# 4 Now asks this million dollar question? Is it a sin not to keep the Seventh day Sabbath? here you will notice something different, most people will tell you it is no longer binding, Jesus; death done away with it, it is a Jewish custom, Christians don't have to keep Sabbath, we worship a risen savior, no one knows which day is the Sabbath and all other kinds of non Biblical answers and excuses.

Bible says in James 2:10 if a man keeps the whole law yet offends in one point he is guilty of all. That means if you respect all other nine and disrespect one or the 4th, you are considered as breaking them all, please take quality time and study your Bible, let no pastor or preacher cause you to disobey God, don't even take my word for it, study your Bible with a heart to understand and wiliness to obey God's word, and you'll see that the all the commandments as given on the mount on two tablets of stones are as binding today as the day and time they were given.....Yahweh now because of what Yahshua has done rights those same 10 Commandment on the hearts of true believers!

Did you know that of all the 66 books of the Bible, the Ten Commandments is the only part written by God Himself?

Read Matthew 5:17-19 Jesus says "think not that I am come to destroy the Law or the prophets, I am not come to destroy but to fulfill", in other words Jesus came to show us how the law is to be kept, including the Sabbath day, that is why He said the Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath.

--------------------

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
How can men claim that this one commandment has been done away with when they will admit that the other nine are still binding?

Because the other nine are repeated in the NEW Covenant. Why don't you guys get that? N E W ... C O V E N A N T.
Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

It is clear that the Apostles preached on Sunday and held services. It does not say Believe on the Lord Jesus and you shalt be saved IF you only worship on Saturday. JESUS IS OUR SABBATH. CAROL IS RIGHT.
betty

--------------------

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

The truth is 9 of the commandments Ex.20:3-4 are repeated and incorporated in the New Testament epistles but the 4th one is not, why?

because Yahshua lived out the demonstration of the proper way to keep the Sabbath. He was accused by the teachers of the Law that He broke the Sabbath. Yahshua assured them He had not.

is Yahshua your example or not?

The 1st and 2nd commandment- which prohibit the worship of other Gods (50 times) and idols are repeated (12 times) Acts 15:29, 17:16: Rom.1:25; 1 Cor.6:9-10, 10:14: 1 Jn.5:21: Rev.21:8, 22:15.

The 3rd commandment of reverencing his name not to take it in vain (4 times ) Ex.20:7 is also repeated in the New Testament Mt.5:33; James 5:12.

The 4th commandment- ? Ecclesiastes chapter 12:13 says the whole duty of man is to fear God and keep His commandments.

the 5th commandment- to respect your parents is also repeated (6 times) Mt.15:4-9: Eph.6:1-3 and Rom.13:1-7.

The 6th commandment- of forbidding murder Ex.20:13 is in the New Testament (4 times). Rom.13:9; Mt.19:18 and the true intent is explained in Mt.5:21-22

The 7th commandment- prohibiting adultery and any sexual sin Ex.20:14 is also found ( 12 times) in Acts.15:20; Rom.2:22, 13:13: 1 Cor.5:11, 6:9, 13,15, 18: 10:8: Eph.5:3,11-12.

The 8th commandment- forbids one to be dishonest, stealing,Ex.20:15 is found in the New Testament (6 times) Rom. 2:21 Eph. 4:28: 1Thess.4:6: Jms.5:4; Mk.10:19; Lk.18:20.

The 9th commandment- condemning a false witness, to lie Ex.20:16 is found in the New Testament (4 times) Mt.15:19,19:18; Lk.3:14 and 1 Tim.1:9-10.

The 10th commandment- tells us not to covet Ex.20:17 is repeated (9 times) in Mk.7:21-23; Lk.12:15,33-34; Rom.1:29, 13:9 1 Cor.5:11; 6:10; Eph.5:3.

Isaiah 58:13
If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:

Dwight L. Moody- Weighed and Wanting,
The Sabbath was binding in Eden, and it has been in force ever since. This fourth commandment begins with the word 'remember,' showing that the Sabbath already existed when God Wrote the law on the tables of stone at Sinai. How can men claim that this one commandment has been done away with when they will admit that the other nine are still binding?"

--------------------

Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Act 15:10 Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?

Again if you are being saved by the law then you cannot break one and be saved. None of you pushing the law can tell me if you are keeping all the law.

Jesus is our Sabbath. He is our salvation. Paul makes it clear that the law points our our sin and Jesus is our Savior. No where does Paul or any other New Testament book tell us to go back and go under the law.

You are either saved by the Blood of Jesus are you keep every law in not only the Ten Commandments but Leviticus.
betty

--------------------

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

quote:
nice points Brother Yahsway

barrykind

"Brother Yahsway" is actually a lady, a wife, and a mother.
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Isaiah 58:13
If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:

Dwight L. Moody- Weighed and Wanting,
The Sabbath was binding in Eden, and it has been in force ever since. This fourth commandment begins with the word 'remember,' showing that the Sabbath already existed when God Wrote the law on the tables of stone at Sinai. How can men claim that this one commandment has been done away with when they will admit that the other nine are still binding?"

--------------------

barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

What did Paul REALLY say?
I ask you, is the Word of YHWH consistent, or does it disagree and contradict. Is it the vaque translations and horrible false teaching to blame or does it REALLY contradict?

Did Paul outright start a new religion, is he a false teacher, or was he truly called by Yahshua and like Yahshua mis-represented by the false church. Below, I am going to TRULY teach Romans 14 the way it should have been taught and could have been better translated to avoid confusion (the author of which is SATAN)... Paul does NOT reference the Sabbath Day, the ONLY reason the Church thinks this is because they know nothing of the Feast Days and only think Sunday is holy.

So they teach Romans 14 as justification between Sabbath and Sunday. This IS NOT AT ALL WHAT PAUL was teaching as made EVIDENT by the use of EASTING (FEASTING) and ABSTAINING (FASTING) which is referring to the Day of Atonement (where you don't eat) vs. the other FEASTS (where you do eat).

Did Paul teach the Feasts? Notice, Paul is teaching below the Sabbath, Feast of Passover, Feasts of FirstFruits, Feast of Weeks, the Day of Atonement, and the entire Feast Cycle both Spring and Fall!

Romans 8
20 For the creation was subjected to futility (when Adam fell), not willingly, but because of YHWH who subjected it in hope (of a coming Messiah); 21 because the creation itself also (like the sons of YHWH during the Spring Feasts) will be delivered (in the coming Fall Feasts) from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God (on the DAY OF ATONEMENT). 22 For we know that the whole creation groans and labors (for 6,000 years per the Sabbath Covenant) with birth pangs together until now (the 7th Millennium, the Sabbath). 23 Not only that, but we also who have the Firstfruits (The Passover Lamb/Feast of First Fruits/Spring Feasts) of the Spirit (Given on the Feast of Weeks, the guarantee/Spring Feasts), even we ourselves groan within ourselves (along with creation because we have not yet been resurrected), eagerly waiting for the adoption (as elohim, into the Family of YHWH), the redemption of our body (on the Feast of Trumpets, the Rapture/Resurrection/Fall Feasts). 24 For we were saved (during the Spring Feasts by the Passover Lamb) in this hope (that He will return again and fulfill the Fall Feasts, resurrected our bodies and liberate creation), but hope that is seen is not hope; for why does one still hope for what he sees (we have not yet witness the fulfillment of the Fall Feasts, so Hope endures)? 25 But if we hope for what we do not see, we eagerly wait for it (the Fall Feasts) with perseverance (those who persevere until the end, shall be saved).
Did Paul teach against the Sabbath Day or Further Teach the Feasts?

What Paul was clearly teaching below has nothing to do with the Sabbath vs. Sunday. Paul is confronting the RELIGOUS bickering and explaining that every day in the FEAST CYCLE is of extreme importance and whether we are FEASTING (eating meat) on Passover, First Fruits, Week, Trumpets, or Tabernnacles... OR whether we are fasting on the Day of Atonment, we do these things giving thanks to YHWH!

Romans 14 (New International Version)
5One man considers one (Feast) day (i.e. The Day of Atonment, the day you abstain from eating meat) more sacred than another (Feast days when you FEAST and eat meat); another man considers every (Feast) day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. 6He who regards one (Feast) day as special, does so to the Lord. He who eats meat (which is an offering of fire, or FEASTING commanded on most Feast Days), eats (meat sacrificed) to the Lord, for he gives thanks (for the meaning of the Fall/Spring Feasts) to God; and he who abstains (from eating on the Day of Atonement, the ONLY required FAST), does so (offers an offering of sacrifice or abstinance) to the Lord and gives thanks (for the meaning of the Day of Atonement) to God.
To truly understand Paul's writings is to see a man deeply committed to the Sabbath/Feasts/Torah while bringing delicately the lost sheep out of paganism through Grace.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While I'm at it let me go ahead and address the following scripture... The following scripture is used by the false church to justify their false teaching that the TORAH was nailed to the cross. That is totally inaccurate and a blatant violation of Truth...
Col 2:14-16
"Having canceled out the certificate of debt (DEATH.. PENALTY of transgressing the Torah) consisting of decrees (of YHWH) against us and which was hostile to us (because we did not keep His Commandments); and YHWH has taken it (the certificate of debt/DEAT) out of the way (sacrificing His Passover Lamb), having nailed it (The Penalty of Death... THE DECREES AGAINST US for falling short of His Torah... NOT the Torah) to the cross. When YHWH had disarmed the (spiritual) rulers and authorities (in high places who cause us to sin against His Laws resulting in our death), YHWH made a public display of them (by resurrecting His Messiah), having triumphed over them through Yahshua. Therefore let no one (the Jews were trying to get them to renounce the Messiah and convert to Judaism) act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day- things which are a mere shadows (physical portraits ordained by YHWH) of what is to come (in Spiritual Truth that THEY (Jews) missed in all their ritualistic observances); but the substance (fulfillment of the Feasts/Torah/Sabbath) belongs to the Messiah (who as High Priests is our subsitution for the certificate of debt/DEATH serving as our High Priest offering the proper gifts/sacrifices to YHWH on our behalf)."

To understand the Word of God, you cannot take any one scripture out of context and build an entire doctrine from it when the bulk of the Word of God says the exact opposite.

The subject of Col 2:14-16 is NOT the Sabbath day, Feasts, and Commandments. The subject is the penalty of death or “certificate of debt” that was levied against mankind for our failure to keep the Feasts/Torah/Sabbath prior to the YHWH paying that debt for us with the blood of His first born son Yahshua. And the condemnation from the rest of the World as we keep YHWH´s Commandments, Feasts, and Sabbaths.

Again, the subject is the "certificate of debt" not YHWH´s Sabbaths, Feasts, and Torah.

YHWH nailed the penalty of sin (violating His Holy Commands) to the cross, as the blood of our Messiah and His Passover Lamb was sufficient to YHWH to cover our transgressions against His Commandment. There is GRACE now in light of the law (as we keep His commandments out of love not obligation).

Paul is covering two bases with this scripture.
ONE: Paul is saying. Do not let anyone (Jews) condemn you (Gentiles) with the old “certificate of debt” or “penalties of the law” because the penalty has been nailed to the cross. We now have GRACE.

SECOND: Paul is addressing the people of the Church in Colossae which God had called out of very pagan environments. The pagan communities in which they lived were JUDGING them for keeping YHWH’ Feasts and Sabbaths (as they should have been) because they were drinking wine and feasting and not following pagan rituals of self denial.

--------------------

Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

WildB:
But will the shadow talkers learn from this simplicity that is Christ?

Not as long as they keep trying to pull the ordinances of the obsolete Law of Moses off of the Cross of Calvary and shackle them to Believers.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:

WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 17 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Caretaker:
quote:
Brother Drew states:

quote:
The Word declares the disciples gathered to break bread on the first day of the week.

Acts 20:7 7: And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

they broke bread everyday together brother Drew.

I have been through scriptures "beyond" any shadow of doubt and proved over and over and over again......
what day is the Sabbath; what day the apostles celebrated...THEY WITHOUT ANY FEAR OF CONTRADICTION CELEBRATED FRI EVE TO SAT EVE...They held up a colored string and a white string, and when they could not tell the difference in color at dusck dark, the Sabbath begain..............Get off trying to follow the Roman Catholic church, Constatene and the pagans , shake yourselfs free from the "traditions of men" and follow Yahushua!

The Original THREAD is which day is the Sabbath???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

It is without a doubt Fri eve to sat eve...no question..Always was and will be!

Are we to honor it and "REMEMBER IT" as YHWH said to, how to honor it and how to "KEEP" it well thats another thread isnt it?

what think ye?

barry

Beyond a shadow of a doubt the Jewish Sabbath has not changed.

Beyond a shadow of a doubt the Law of Moses was fulfilled in Christ.

Beyond a shadow of a doubt the Sabbath was not placed upon the Gentiles by the Jerusalem Council.

Beyond a shadow of a doubt Jesus is our Sabbath, 24/7.

But will the shadow talkers learn from this simplicity that is Christ?

--------------------
That is all.....

barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Brother Yahsway stated:

quote:
And for all those who might be interested, I am NOT a 7th day Adventist. There are many believers besides those who still hold the Sabbath day as Saturday, mostly all your believing Jews. Just because a Jew comes to saving grace in Messiah Yeshua, does not abrogate any of the Laws of God.
Yes Sir:

--------------------

barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

nice points Brother Yahsway

barrykind

--------------------

Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Brother Drew states:

quote:
The Word declares the disciples gathered to break bread on the first day of the week.

Acts 20:7 7: And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

I have been through scriptures "beyond" any shadow of doubt and proved over and over and over again......
what day is the Sabbath; what day the apostles celebrated...THEY WITHOUT ANY FEAR OF CONTRADICTION CELEBRATED FRI EVE TO SAT EVE...They held up a colored string and a white string, and when they could not tell the difference in color at dusck dark, the Sabbath begain..............Get off trying to follow the Roman Catholic church, Constatene and the pagans , shake yourselfs free from the "traditions of men" and follow Yahushua!

The Original THREAD is which day is the Sabbath???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Are we to honor it and "REMEMBER IT" as YHWH said to, how to honor it and how to "KEEP" it well thats another thread isnt it?

what think ye?

barry

Beyond a shadow of a doubt the Jewish Sabbath has not changed.

Beyond a shadow of a doubt the Law of Moses was fulfilled in Christ.

Beyond a shadow of a doubt the Sabbath was not placed upon the Gentiles by the Jerusalem Council.

Beyond a shadow of a doubt Jesus is our Sabbath, 24/7.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:

barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Brother Drew states:

quote:

what think ye?

barry

--------------------

Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Ducking down a rabbit trail Brother Barry.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:

barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Both your Brothers Drew (Caretaker); wildb (Bill); yall need to read the bood "THE TWO BABYLONS" by Alexander Hislop

This book will educate you both on the pagans who influenced the church after the second century.....................

ie

Dec. 25, is not The Messiahs Birth Day..He came out of Heaven (Word Became Flesh and dwelt amoung us)

To celebrate HIS birth on thewinter solstice is to say Yahushua had a begining....DID Yahushua not tell the pharasees..BEFORE ABRAHAM WAS I AM?

Did Yahushua not make himself equal to YaHWeH?

Yep....Study out these "TRADITIOONS" of Men/ and heathern worship practices...

Man yall have notprob. celebrating a heathern h\oliday such as "chistmass"..............why do you have a problem with YHWH's feasts?????

Man wake up and smell the coffe.
(kinda a Brother wildb (BILL) answer

Man learn what you celebrate and why it OFFENDS our Father in Heaven........

the kid gloves are off.wildb this is serious and most eternal business.....not just your pet make believe "shadow" talking stuff.

Brother pay close attention to what we say; it will be reminded us at the judgement.

barry

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement