Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » National Day Of Prayer (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: National Day Of Prayer
byfaith
Advanced Member
Member # 8061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for byfaith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To clarify that what was being reported was false.

You say that I shot the first cannonball...you mean I disagreed with you.

You seem overly angry wildb, and while I can respect that you are passionate about Christ and what you see as a threat, you are coming across without any love in you at all.

Posts: 160 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 18 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by byfaith:
quote:
Originally posted by WildB:
You know I looked real hard for some of these other religions and other god followers in front of the Court house the 6th and all I seen was Born again Spirit FILLED! SPIRIT LED! AMERICANS!

You are a closet professor of Christ. Even going as far as to post a snopes thing to support YOUR PRESIDENT.

You like fighting with the sisters I see well Im back.

Try me on for size.

I posted a snoped link to clarify.
I suppose he is my president, although I did not vote for him. [Smile]

I think you are missing the point wildb.

I am not fighting with anyone, are you? You have been calling me a name "closet christian" that my sir, is something someone who wants to start a fight would say.

Clarify what? And it was you that shot the first cannon ball across the bow of TRUTH.

Oh I have not missed your point at all.

REPENT.

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 5 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hum- no prayer at the White House this year because some Moztecs that work at the PENTAGON complained?

Yet look at who Humbles himself in a Moztec nation for the camera to feed the sheeple back home last year April?

-

US Presiden Barack Obama (2nd R) and Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan (L) take off their shoes as they visit the Blue Mosque with Muslim clerics Emrullah Hatipoglu (R) and Mustafa Cagrici (L) in Istanbul, Turkey, 07 April 2009. US President Barack Obama has ended his European tour by saying he is committed to opening a "new chapter in American engagement" with the Muslim world. EPA/KAYHAN OZER

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 18 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prayer has always been used in this country for guidance, protection and strength-even before we were a nation or a handful of colonies. The Pilgrims at Plymouth relied on prayer during their first and darkest winter. Our founding fathers also called for prayer during the Constitutional Congress. In their eyes, our recently created nation and freedoms were a direct gift from God. And being a gift from God, there was only one way to insure protection-through prayer. None of these went to their closets....

--------------------
That is all.....

WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 6 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/prayerday.asp

Google this National Day Of Prayer

National Day of Prayer - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Day_of_Prayer

And stop hiding behind 1 verse taken out of context and mixing it with the PC thought of the day.

--------------------
That is all.....

byfaith
Advanced Member
Member # 8061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for byfaith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
You know I looked real hard for some of these other religions and other god followers in front of the Court house the 6th and all I seen was Born again Spirit FILLED! SPIRIT LED! AMERICANS!

You are a closet professor of Christ. Even going as far as to post a snopes thing to support YOUR PRESIDENT.

Try me on for size.

I posted a snopes link to clarify that what was being reported is false.

I am not fighting with anyone, are you? You have been calling me a name "closet christian" that my sir, is something someone who wants to start a fight would say.

Posts: 160 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
byfaith
Advanced Member
Member # 8061

quote:

Try me on for size.

I posted a snoped link to clarify.

WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 8 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carol Swenson:
Hey WildB!

Let me add one last thing.

It's true we can all pray individually, and indeed we should. But that isn't the same as when millions of us all pray together on the same day for the same thing - for our country.

I can't think of a better way to organize that than to have a National Day of Prayer.

I guess our sister must have closets next to each other all in a neat nice roll facing up front where another single closet, which is facing back from up on stage at the building she goes to on Sunday.lol Give me a break...

Again I am very surprised and saddened to find this PC **** being peddled here.

REPENT!

--------------------
That is all.....

WildB
Member # 2917

It was good I was up front today at City hall in Lapeer @ 6:00 because my Guidon training came in handy.

During the National Anthem the wind blew over the Young Marines Company Flag!

As I was uncovered and at attention I quickly recovered and ran forward and re-posted it and came to a parade rest till the National Anthem was over then quietly returned to the hundreds who had gathered.

NATIONAL DAY of PRAYER LAPEER COUNTY

May 6,2010 59th Annual Observance

Color Guard Flag Presentation.... Lapeer County Young Marines

National Anthem... Taylor Weir MapleGrove Church

Pledge of Allegiance.....Retired Snior Master Sergeant Jake Little US Air Force

Welcome @ Opening Prayer.... Pastor Gary Gillim MapleGrove Church

America the Beautiful....sang by Liz Gillim

Scripture Reading, Psalm 91:1-4...Tim Martin New Life Christian Fellowship

Quote from John Hancock.....Kevin Daley MI State Representative

Scripture Reading, 1 Timothy 2:1-4.......Pastor Jim Lorch Hunters Creek Community Church

Quote from Samuel Adams... Byron Konchub Lapeer County Prosecuting Attorney

Scripture Reading,Deuteronomy 4:30-31...Pastor Jeff Wells Faith Christian Family Church

Quote from James Buchanan...Sheriff Ron Kalanquin

Quote from Continental Congress on June 12,1775...Commissioner Lenny Schneider District #4

Scripture Reading,Psalm 31:24 and Psalm 130:5 Pastor Dan Burger Lapeer Assembly of God

Small Group Prayer

Amazing Grace... sang by Liz Gillim

Quote from Rober E. Lee..... Rev. Dr. Lisa Saliga

Qute from Samuel Adams, 1794.... Pastor Don Hadley

Quote from Francis Scoot Key... Pastor Anthoney Kinsler

Scripture Reading, 1 Samuel 43:1-2...Pastor Gerald Sims

Quote from Pedsident George Washington, 1784... Pastor Keith Atwood

Invitation to Children.... Elizabeth Gillim

"Pray"..... Mary Alessi

Closing Prayer..... Pastor Gary Gillim

--------------------
That is all.....

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey WildB!

Let me add one last thing.

It's true we can all pray individually, and indeed we should. But that isn't the same as when millions of us all pray together on the same day for the same thing - for our country.

I can't think of a better way to organize that than to have a National Day of Prayer.

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 6 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------
That is all.....

byfaith
Advanced Member
Member # 8061

Icon 18 posted      Profile for byfaith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes! that is true, regardless of whether they do it on a certain declared day [Smile]

WE do need to pray, I agree! And we need to pray for strength to deal with what we or our children will have to deal with.

[Prayer]

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with that!!! [Smile]

And we know that when a nation full of Christians pray, God will answer.

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
byfaith
Advanced Member
Member # 8061

sigh.....no that is not my feeling.

God is in charge, right? His time.

He won't let anything happen but in the order it is supposed to.

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And so...the sooner the better?
byfaith
Advanced Member
Member # 8061

quote:
Originally posted by Carol Swenson:
When our freedom is gone, then the only way anyone will be able to pray in secret is by renouncing Christ in public.

There are Christians all over the world that have no freedom...does that change the fact they are Christians? No.
So while I understand that you are saying that it is a hard pressed time ahead of us if and when we lose our freedom to express our beliefs in public...I am saying that it is going to happen, nothing you can do to stop it.

The end is written. We will be persecuted.

byfaith
Advanced Member
Member # 8061

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/prayerday.asp
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When our freedom is gone, then the only way anyone will be able to pray in secret is by renouncing Christ in public.
byfaith
Advanced Member
Member # 8061

quote:
Originally posted by Betty Louise:
No, shame on you, for taking so lightly our freedoms slipping away little by little. Shame on you for joking about such a serious subject. Our Country is in grave danger and to make fun of the desire of Americans who want to see our Country to come together in prayer, is sad.
There will come a day when there will be no closet Christians. We will have to stand up for the truth of God's Word and be counted.
betty

Sorry to ruffle your easily ruffled feathers.

I DO NOT understand your take on this at all....you have no idea how we as a country ARE NOT a Christian country.
Do you not read Revelations? The end is already written, and if you think America's freedoms are in danger, you have seen nothing yet.

**and By the way, I am no closet Christian as you say** because I said something about prayers done in secret. [Roll Eyes]

My point is this- Let them take the National day of praying to the god/gods of your choice day, YOU can still pray as per usual...

Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, shame on you, for taking so lightly our freedoms slipping away little by little. Shame on you for joking about such a serious subject. Our Country is in grave danger and to make fun of the desire of Americans who want to see our Country to come together in prayer, is sad.
There will come a day when there will be no closet Christians. We will have to stand up for the truth of God's Word and be counted.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
byfaith
Advanced Member
Member # 8061

Icon 6 posted      Profile for byfaith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, if I don't get upset about our country holding up a national day of prayer (to the god of one's choice mind you) I am now a closet christian?

The National Day of Prayer is for ALL religions, why would this make me a lesser diligent follower of Christ?

I guess I should repent for not following the prayer time set aside that all the people regardless of the god they pray to, shame on me indeed. [Razz]

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God calls forth His people to come out of obscurity into the light so that we can each become the light to the world that we are called to be. Jesus says:

“You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.” (Matthew 5:14-16)

A city that is set on a hill cannot be obscure. So also when the light of Jesus is shinning through you, no longer will you be obscure. A light can never be obscure unless it stops being a light.

WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 9 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eden:
byfaith wrote
quote:
Prayer can be done with or without the government's consent.

I don't fret over "losing" a right to a National day of prayer.

It is a funny thing really, as Christ instructed to go pray in your closet where you are not seen by others.

Exactly, I like the way you think, byfaith.

And it's a good thing that the founding fathers proclaimed that "no one religion shall be made into the state religion", so that "it all remains voluntary".

There is only one kind of love, and that is voluntary love. And we can pray any time of the day, and on any day, and who will know it? No one needs to know it. I pray every day because I need help from God to guide me every day and to overcome life's obstacles with God's favor.

For all I care they can abolish National Prayer Day any time, because the Devil likes National Prayer Day. Why? Because that leaves the impression for people who don't normally pray that "praying one day out of the year is going to help".

God knows who believes in Him, so a one-time prayer by an otherwise barely believing person is not going to be honored by God anyway. Jesus knows His sheep and He is not fooled by one-time National Prayer Day. Better to abolish it, so we can "pray in secret in our closet", as byfaith said.

love, Eden

I expected a response like this from the specular board that I witness on, not here.

Standing in front of City Hall with other born again believers praying for ones Nation is not the same as one standing in front of the Temples entrance praying to be seen how religious you are. You have missed what Christ was really teaching.

Your faith is so very shallow.

Jesus also said where 2 or more are gathered in my name there I am. So we all got in our mobile closets not to be see, but herd for our Nations sake.

Did not Danial open up his windows to pray even after he knew that the Law said he would be making a lions den trip?

When Davids own men were going to stone him because all their families had been kidnapped because of one of his decisions did he go into his closet? No he did not!

1Sam.30

[6] And David was greatly distressed; for the people spake of stoning him, because the soul of all the people was grieved, every man for his sons and for his daughters: but David encouraged himself in the LORD his God.

Doesn't sound like a man that ran off into a closet to me.

You closet Christians greatly trouble me.

Repent.

--------------------
That is all.....

Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
byfaith wrote
quote:

It is a funny thing really, as Christ instructed to go pray in your closet where you are not seen by others.

Exactly, I like the way you think, byfaith.

And it's a good thing that the founding fathers proclaimed that "no one religion shall be made into the state religion", so that "it all remains voluntary".

There is only one kind of love, and that is voluntary love. And we can pray any time of the day, and on any day, and who will know it? No one needs to know it. I pray every day because I need help from God to guide me every day and to overcome life's obstacles with God's favor.

For all I care they can abolish National Prayer Day any time, because the Devil likes National Prayer Day. Why? Because that leaves the impression for people who don't normally pray that "praying one day out of the year is going to help".

God knows who believes in Him, so a one-time prayer by an otherwise barely believing person is not going to be honored by God anyway. Jesus knows His sheep and He is not fooled by one-time National Prayer Day. Better to abolish it, so we can "pray in secret in our closet", as byfaith said.

love, Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

WildB [thumbsup2]
Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the way, even though the legislative and judicial branches of government were represented, the Obama Administration failed to send a representative to the event.

---------

That is because he is Muslim.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Friday, May 7, 2010

To: Friends & Supporters

National Day of Prayer

Yesterday, hundreds of people, including members of Congress, met on Capitol Hill to observe the National Day of Prayer. Jim and Shirley Dobson chaired the event. We prayed for America, for each branch of government and for the American military.

The keynote address was delivered by Reverend Franklin Graham, who had been disinvited from speaking at the Pentagon, allegedly because he has on occasion been critical of Islam’s hostility to women and to freedom of religion. (His son, Captain Edward Graham, is currently serving in his fourth tour in Afghanistan.) Reverend Graham’s message was powerful and many in the room were moved to tears by his plea that America turn back to God.

By the way, even though the legislative and judicial branches of government were represented, the Obama Administration failed to send a representative to the event.

byfaith
Advanced Member
Member # 8061

I agree becausehelives, this is a time that the churches are really holding hands with the world on so many issues and catering.

~ better to be , rather than to seem ~

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 18 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pray the Church awake from its slumber and get out of bed with the world.

we are living in a world where Yahshua and His true follower are being rejected on every level of societies....

True believers are drawing closer to the Lord...while the false church embraces the whole world system through evangelicalism of the world council of churches.

2 Corinthians 6
14Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

15And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?

16And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols (Easter and Christ-mass) ? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

17Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you.

18And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
byfaith
Advanced Member
Member # 8061

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's wonderful when we can join with millions of others to pray for our country. I would not want to see this freedom of religion destroyed by atheists.

Congress declared a National Day of Prayer in 1952. The National Day of Prayer Task Force (NDPTF), whose mission is to "publicize and preserve America's Christian heritage," launched a "Save the National Day of Prayer" campaign after Judge Barbara Crabb, a federal judge in Madison, Wis., issued a ruling declaring that the National Day of Prayer is unconstitutional.

But the bigger problem, as I see it, is that the National Day of Prayer is multifaith, embracing Islam and all.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement