Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » The Christian News   » HOLIDAY TREE VS. CHRISTMAS TREE? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: HOLIDAY TREE VS. CHRISTMAS TREE?
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was playing the game with Walt. I realize that we will not have a perfect world until Jesus, rules the world. But this does not mean Americans should give up all our freedoms without a fight. Children have a right to say the word Christmas at school. There are many Christian lawyers who are fighting to keep freedom for Christians. One school in Califorian are allowing their students to celeberate every Holiday thise season but Christmas. ( I am talking about Muslim, African, and Jewish) This is not fair and the lawyer said it is not even consitutional.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saintbygrace
Advanced Member
Member # 4401

Icon 1 posted      Profile for saintbygrace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW this all just blows me away totaly [Eek!]

MAKE people become christians and celebrate christmas [crying]

You would only be adding phony pretend christians

There are allready to many phony pretend christians out there now that it's so hard to find the real genuine ones (like a needle in a haystack) [1zhelp]

That would make it just about impossible to find the real genuine christian, they would be hiding out, or leaving the country like the pilgrims left England

This just might push me into the other camp and join the ACLU

You gona decide which bible we can read, which songs we can sing, make us register like China does

--------------------
John 18:38
Pilate *said to Him, "What is truth?"

Posts: 112 | From: ball of God-cursed dirt | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saintbygrace
Advanced Member
Member # 4401

Icon 1 posted      Profile for saintbygrace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do not support the ACLU
but I would side with them over forced chritmas and christianity.

Just because many man reach out to Jesus at christmas is no excuse to force it.

I don't know what Bible you are reading, maybe mines missing that part about forcing christianity on others.

We do need the ACLU and laws to protect us from people that have ideas like yours

really really scary

If that is a spirit led concept, I would dare say it is not the Holy Spirit.

--------------------

Posts: 112 | From: ball of God-cursed dirt | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
very funny. Ask most ministers and they can tell you many who reach out to Jesus because of the Christmas season. The Pastor here in Texas asked us to be praying especially for those who only attend on Christmas that they will recieve Christ as their Savior.
betty

But, seeing how you like the standards of the ACLU, maybe you should consider joining.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saintbygrace
Advanced Member
Member # 4401

The NEW great commision

Go therefore into all the nation, signing petitions, lobbying polititions, passing laws:
To enfore my comandments
To outlaw all sins
To force ALL to celebrate the holidays
To make manditory chritmas trees - easter eggs and the likes

--------------------

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

To keep Jesus as the reason for the season, is indeed a worthy battle, that I am proud to fight.
http://wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=47784
this is what many Christians are fighting against

betty

--------------------

wparr
Advanced Member
Member # 891

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wparr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the world will be soooooooo much better off if we call them "christmas" rather than "holiday" tree.

What a worthy battle.

Lets ALL mobilize and break out our weapons.

Posts: 1203 | From: Eagle Nest, NM | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

A Chirstmas tree is different from any other tree. That is why I signed petitions to make our Christmas trees called Christmas trees and not Holiday trees.
betty

--------------------

yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yahsway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing I truly love about this country is our freedoms. Freedom to worship as we see fit, freedom of speech, ect...

We must remember that Christmas means different things to different peoples.

To the Christian, its about Yeshua
To the secularist, its about Gifts, traditions, ect..
Others, it may mean nothing more than someone elses freedom to celebrate a paticular Holy Day.And I for one stand behind the rights of people here to celeebrate and worship as they see fit.

This country was founded on Biblical principles, I agree. But Christmas was not one of them. In fact, history can show that it was not even considered among those who came here first to get away from the tyranny of the RCC.

Later, it was adopted into our society and being the freedom country that we are I for one will uphold anyones right to such freedom. Even God gives us all the freedom of choice. Blessed be His name!

Actually, when you think about it, Christmas has a blend of all sorts of different religons and beliefs. Probably because we are the melting pot of the world. Some of us celebrate it traditionally, others celebrate it without all the glitz and hype, some others do not celebrate it at all but do respect others rights to do so. Its all about convictions. Ones conviction may not be anothers. Does this make one more right or rightous that another. I say no, for only Yahweh knows the heart.

HFHS was right when she said that only ones convictions on the matter of Christmas must come from The Holy Spirit. There is much debate on the subject and that can be a good thing as iron sharpens iron.

I love each and everyone here, I agree with some and disagree with others, based only on my personal convictions. But thats the wonderful thing about freedom. And one of the things I love best about this country.

There is a saying on the statue of liberty refering to give me your tired, hungry, ect.. I do not know the actual quote but it does not say give me only the Christians. If it did, that would be a very prideful saying indeed.

I was thinking, Holiday Tree vs Christmas Tree?

It is just a tree. What real significance does the tree have for those who celebrate Christmas as far as Yeshua is concerned. Some say its significance is in Yeshuas Death, and that might be true in a sense, but if Christmas is about His birth, and celebrating His Birthday, how does the tree fit into it?

And if Holiday actually means Holy Day, then isnt that like saying Holy Tree? and what makes the Tree Holy? Just some questions I ponder on.

Now if you said to me that the Christmas tree is about His death, Then I could understand that. Christ-mass Tree. or Christ death on the tree. But then what does that have to do with His birthday?

Im not being mean spirited, these are just questions in my own mind about the terms Holiday and Christmas. I know when I did celebrate Christmas, I used to love that song "Happy Holidays". Well, just wanted to add my 2cents. Thanks for listening. Love yo all, Cindy

Posts: 1238 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Sure, I play Walts little game. As far as my losing my mind, if losing my mind means celeberating the greatest gift mankind has ever gotten, count me in.
Jesus' birth is well worth celeberating and if I am crazy to do so, so be it.
One day Jesus will rule this earth and trust me, there will be only one Relgion taught in schools.
betty

--------------------

HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by oneyearandcounting:
Betty
Don't take this the wrong way but have you lost your mind. Really don't take this the wrong way please but the things you are saying now are just crasy.
So by your warped logic we should be teaching Christian stuff plus everything else.

OUCH!! [Eek!] [Eek!] (Getting kind of personal don't you think?)
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyearandcounting
Advanced Member
Member # 4449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneyearandcounting     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Betty

Don't take this the wrong way but have you lost your mind. Really don't take this the wrong way please but the things you are saying now are just crasy. Teach only Christian stuff in schools because its on our money. Get real. Yes that would be wonderful but it's not on what our nation was found on. Do other religions differ from us in beliefs, yes they do? But the one thing they do is believe in God.

So by your warped logic we should be teaching Christian stuff plus everything else. If we are basing or schools off of what our money says.

I know this is probably making you angry. I'm sorry for that but before you post in the flesh Think in the spirit.

Just by listening to your rants on this thread YOU have gotten me to see Walts side of things. I knew what he was satying before but the way you are caring on and saying the things you are saying I see how this holiday changes people. And yes you have changed, atleast in the way you are posting. There is no love in any of your posts no matter how much Grandma jo likes them.

Well I think I will stop now so as not to make you even more upset than I am sure I have.

One thing to think about. You keep saying Jessu is the reason for the season. Then you need to show us and you haven't been with some things you have said.

God bless you

greg

--------------------
Acts9:18 And straightway there fell from his eyes as it were scales, and he received his sight; and he arose and was baptized.

Posts: 183 | From: winder Ga | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
You want to be an America citizen and have rights involved with doing so, then become a Christian, put up a Christmas tree or leave the country
Wow, that is exactly what Constantine did! Amazing!

The probelm is the bible says that there is one that will issue in a "Christian" nation and that is Christ. Any one else who dares try is antichrist.

Constantine declared Christianity the official religion of the Roman Empire and they persecuted those who would not comply. You have just advocated that!

Truly amazing.

Have either of you ever read the personal letters of Thomas Jefferson and some of the others that you claim started this "Christian" nation? Many of them would not be "Christian" by your book at all, because they denied the diety of Christ. They were diests not Christians. Yes, ther advocated for the scripture, yes, they believed in Christ. But the Christ they believed in was NOT God manifest in the flesh.

Jefferson was absolutely against the forcing of religion on anyone. He did everything in his power not to frame anything that would have allowed the government to force A relgion on anyone because they had been forced to be followers of the Church of England and were rebelling against that. That is why congress cannot establish a religion.

Amazing just amazing, this thread gets more amazing with each passing day.

No Church other than the Roman Catholic Church

This nation was established a "Christian" nation.

People should either become Christians or get out.

Sounds more like Islam than Christianity to me.

When will the burning at the stake begin?

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gramajo320
Advanced Member
Member # 4667

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gramajo320   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Betty,

Another huge Amen to your posting! I look forward to some more Christmas songs which are a true blessing this time of year! We will be honoring and celebrating Jesus's birth and having a very blessed time doing so! God bless you very much, Betty!

With love from your friend,
Joanne

--------------------
Gramajo320

Posts: 2385 | From: WA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Take your OWN advice "lady"

so now you question whether I am a lady? Your attitude stinks. You think you are a better Christian because you do not celeberate Christmas?
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
betty

--------------------

Gramajo320
Advanced Member
Member # 4667

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gramajo320   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You need to learn how to read more accurately! Those aren't my words that you posted! My only words that I said is repnt of your unchristian words!
Now, WParr, Au Revoir to you!!!!

--------------------
Gramajo320

Posts: 2385 | From: WA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gramajo320
Advanced Member
Member # 4667

Our Lord and Saviour is Jesus Christ! He always has been and He always will be and you cannot change that fact whatsoever so don't even try! I prefer that true christians do praying so we will be praying for you to quit doing satan's work!!!

You need to repent, WParr of your very unchristian judging words!!!!

--------------------
Gramajo320

Gramajo320
Advanced Member
Member # 4667

Hi Betty,

I say a huge Amen, Amen, and Amen!!!! God bless you very much, Betty! Also I look forward to seeing more of our christmas songs! God bless you!

Joanne

--------------------
Gramajo320

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 12 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you got that right. You want to be an America citizen and have rights involved with doing so, then become a Christian, put up a Christmas tree or leave the country [Razz]
Offended by God then stop getting our money handouts.
[Big Grin]
betty

--------------------

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

so you should send your donations to the ACLU, I am sure they would appreicate your effort in helping them removing Jesus from Christmas, In God we trust from our money, and all teaching about anything Christian from our schools.
betty

--------------------

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

The only Relgion that should be taught in American schools is Christian. If our money says In God we trust than we should teach only the Christian Relegion.
betty

--------------------

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

This country started out as a Christian nation. Notice on your dollar bill it says in God we trust not in Allah.
point made.
betty

--------------------

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

As a Christian I fight stuff like this:

ADF Battles Georgia County's 'Christmas' Ban in Schools

By Jim Brown
December 5, 2005

(AgapePress) - A Christian attorney says he's fighting the censorship of Christmas in a Georgia school district where teachers are prohibited from wearing clothing with any sort of religious connotation -- and are under instruction not to have "Christmas" parties in the classroom, but to refer them as "winter" parties.

The Alliance Defense Fund (ADF) has contacted more than 9,000 school districts this year, informing them of the constitutionality of religious expression at Christmastime. The campaign is called "Merry Christmas -- It's Okay to Say It." But apparently the Jackson County (Georgia) school system never got the memo.

ADF attorney David Cortman says Jackson County officials have completely eradicated Christmas from the public school system.

"Teachers are not allowed to say 'Merry Christmas' [and] they're not allowed to wear any pins or angels or crosses or clothing that has any religious connotation or affiliation," Cortman explains. "They can't have a Christmas party -- they have to call it a 'winter party.' They can't sing religious songs. In fact ... they actually censored the word 'God' from the song."

In addition, says the attorney, teachers are prohibited from displaying a Bible in their classroom. The ADF attorney says such restrictions are "incredible," explaining that there are no legal grounds upon which they can be based.

"[T]here is no support in the law" for Jackson County's dictates, he says. "No court has ever held that it's illegal to say 'Merry Christmas' or have a Christmas party or be able to sing Christmas songs, both religious and secular," he says. Instead, Cortman believes threats and intimidation from groups like the American Civil Liberties Union have led partly to the county's ban on Christmas expression.

-------------
yes, I admit that I have issues with Christians who are on the same side of ACLU. If you are against Jesus in Christmas then you are on the side of the ACLU. It is the truth no matter how painful it is for you to realize that.
I have signed countless petitions to keep Jesus in Christmas. It is sending mixed messages in the world for Christians to be fighting to take Jesus out of Christmas. As long as Christ is in Christmas, you can't deny it is about Jesus. When it changes to Wintermass then you have a point. For now you are on the side of the ACLU, and as a Christian I have issues with that.
betty

--------------------

helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No Betty, it does not make you greedy or high matainence, but why does it make us to be "grinches" and "scrouges" or ones to be ashamed of ourselves or siding with the ACLU or playing into the devil's hand because we didn't ask for a Christmas present, but just went and got a new jacket because we have either moved or are moving away from celebrating Christmas?

You guys dont want us to tell you or the world what Christmas is not, but you sure want to make us to be the enemy because we dont believe it is what you say it is.

You guys have accused us of all kinds of things because we believe that Christmas has pagan origins and is Man's tradition not God's. You have said we are trying to take Christ out of something.

The point is that Christ is not to the Christian supposed to be the reason for a season. Christ is supposed to be our life. The reason for every season... the one who is living this life in us.

We should not be able to take him out of anyting and we should not be in what HE would not be in.

Do you think Jesus would fill his house with Santa and shuffle through the crowds at the mall for a good deal on Nike or thank people for honoring the Father with their Holiday shopping and decorating. If you do more power to you, but for those of us who dont and believe there is a Biblical reason for believing as we do, why do you begrudge us for saying so?

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

i asked for a jacket. mine is 15 years old.
does that make me greedy? I found one for 40 that was half price which made it 20.
WoW I am high mantience!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!\ [Razz]
betty

--------------------

helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

quote:
Heck, I'm the only one in my family and circle of friends who isn't stressed and broke by January 1st. We are actually really able to enjoy a time when the rest of the world is fighting traffic, long store lines, shrinking bank accounts, and enduring hearing "Santa Baby" one million times between Thanksgiving and the New Year.

I was thinking this yesterday. This has been a very freeing decision for us as well. There is no worry how we are going to "afford Christmas"; I absolutely positively hate to shop anyway and so not having to shop is wonderful.

Do you know that our local Wal Mart this year had people camped out there overnight to get to their hands on one the new XBox 360's that were going to be on sale on Black Firday! The cost $300.00 - $400.00 dollars! Can you imagine? I cant. All I can think of is how many local Indian missionaries this would support in India, so that they could go and preach the Gospel in the villages there. I could not even begin to want to give my kids an XBox 360 for Christmas! Praise God because I have been blessed with kids that dont want one either. Desi has trouble paying 21.00 for a pair of jeans at Kmart because she knows that she can get them at Wear it again Sam's for for $5.00.

Any way, the things we have given up regarding Christmas, we do not miss. Not even a little bit. If I had millions in the bank I would not do things differently. I just dont want much. I can tell you that is not my doing.

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

HardCore,

I still wish you would have a present. You do not have to go broke with Christmas. 2 years in a row, God provided money for Christmas for us, money that came from an unexpected source. To me Christmas presents are not about how expensive something is but the thoughtfulness of the person. My baby sister has been dead 12 years, I still have little things that she got me over the years. When I look at this things they remind me of her and her kind heart. I am not saying that i need reminders to remember her, but each item she picked for me showed how much she cared, that she would look for something that would bring me joy.
Yes, there are so people who try to out spend each other, but not everybody does.

You do not have to go broke at Christmas. You can chose to be responsible.
betty

--------------------

hardcore
Advanced Member
Member # 4492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hardcore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wparr:
[QUOTE]

NO PROBLEM WITH SANTA IN CHURCH?????????

Now wparr, be fair. The church advertisement did say that it would be "a fun-filled time sure to thrill every child".

How can we be possibly be against that? [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 627 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hardcore
Advanced Member
Member # 4492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hardcore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TEXASGRANDMA:
It breaks my heart that hard core will not get any gifts. If I had brought her address with me to Houston, I would send her something myself.
betty

TG,

Don't fret for me my friend. We made a conscious decision many years ago not to celebrate Christmas. I don't miss it at all and want nothing to do with it.

Heck, I'm the only one in my family and circle of friends who isn't stressed and broke by January 1st. We are actually really able to enjoy a time when the rest of the world is fighting traffic, long store lines, shrinking bank accounts, and enduring hearing "Santa Baby" one million times between Thanksgiving and the New Year.

You are a sweet dear to care though, and that means more to me than anything you could ever send!

I hope you have safe travels and a wonderful time in Houston with your family.

Posts: 627 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hardcore
Advanced Member
Member # 4492

quote:
Originally posted by helpforhomeschoolers:
Not getting someone a Christmas present has nothing to do with being a Grinch! Hal and I stopped giving each other Birthday presents almost 14 years ago and we stopped giving each other Christmas presents almost 4 or 5 years ago. We did it by choice and desire. We both hated feeling like you had to go out and find just the right thing or worse getting or giving something the other person did not want or need because you were obligated to a tradition. We decided instead that we would much rather go on a ski trip together or spend the weekend at a hideaway in the hills when we wanted than spend money unecessarily on somethiing the other didnt want or need. That is what we do and there is nothing Grincy about it. Does that mean I dont get gifts? Of Course not, I still get more gifts than I care to get just because. I get something sweet or thoughtful from my husband almost weekly; sometimes it is just a special flavored coffee or tea from one of his trips to the market, but he is forever bringing me something. I am pretty spoiled by my husband, I have to watch saying something is cute or pretty because he will bring one home. So your judgement is in error Betty. Lots of people dont give Christmas or Birthday gifts and they aren't Grincy because of it. Walter has been in my home and I can tell you that his wife is not either lacking anything in the being cared for department, and you can listen to Skreeman speak 5 minutes about his wife and know that he adores her!! To insinuate that someone does not love their husband or wife because they dont give Christmas or Birthday gifts is just plain ugly. You surprised me with that one sister.

Linda,

If I didn't know better, I'd say we have the same husband!

I am beyond blessed with my husband. He spoils me rotten, takes such good care of me, tells me how much he loves me, compliments me on how I look, puts my needs and wants ahead of his own, and on and on.

At the bottom of it all and the real blessing though, is the fact that he takes his Lord's words and examples seriously. He really takes to heart the concept of loving his wife as Christ loved the church (Ephesians, as I'm sure you all know). His motto is the old saying: God, Others, Self. He isn't perfect by any means, and of course fails to live up to that standard as we all do, but I can think of very few people I know who take it as seriously and try as hard. He puts me to shame. I don't deserve him.

As far as gifts go, we are also the same as you and Hal. East does surprise me with little spoilers throughout the year and we will take time to do things together when we decide to spend the money. I'm sure you would agree that there is no gift that our husbands could ever wrap that can top their love and the way they treat us all year long.

I would much rather have a husband who stands for biblical truth year round, than one who puts presents under a tree one day out of the year.

My husband a grinch? Nothing could be further from the truth.

oneyearandcounting
Advanced Member
Member # 4449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneyearandcounting     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Betty,

Let it go. All you are doing is throwing gasoline on the fire and for what. If people don't want to do Christmas that is their own business. I personnally as I have said am doing Christmas. But I have my own reasons behind it. Just let it go. You will not win this arguement. You can not win this arguement.

Remember what the rapture discussions did to you. Well you are walking down that path again. I can see it buy how you are responding to posts. Just let it go.

God bless
greg

--------------------
Acts9:18 And straightway there fell from his eyes as it were scales, and he received his sight; and he arose and was baptized.

Posts: 183 | From: winder Ga | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

It breaks my heart that hard core will not get any gifts. If I had brought her address with me to Houston, I would send her something myself.
betty

--------------------

helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Your right betty. I put on the grinch suit, but I did so in response to name calling; do I need to find the thread? The Grinch suit was a joke, but implying that someone does not love their spouse because they dont give Christmas gifts is quite another. I dont care if you think I am a grinch because I say that Christmas is not about Jesus or His birth, because that is a fact and I dont care if you or anyone else disagrees. But calling Hardcore's husband a grinch because she does get gifts from Santa or anyone on Christmas is an entirely different subject.
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

http://www.gotquestions.org/Christmas-gifts.html

Linda,
You choice the grinch as your theme, not me.
betty

--------------------

helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Not getting someone a Christmas present has nothing to do with being a Grinch! Hal and I stopped giving each other Birthday presents almost 14 years ago and we stopped giving each other Christmas presents almost 4 or 5 years ago. We did it by choice and desire. We both hated feeling like you had to go out and find just the right thing or worse getting or giving something the other person did not want or need because you were obligated to a tradition. We decided instead that we would much rather go on a ski trip together or spend the weekend at a hideaway in the hills when we wanted than spend money unecessarily on somethiing the other didnt want or need. That is what we do and there is nothing Grincy about it. Does that mean I dont get gifts? Of Course not, I still get more gifts than I care to get just because. I get something sweet or thoughtful from my husband almost weekly; sometimes it is just a special flavored coffee or tea from one of his trips to the market, but he is forever bringing me something. I am pretty spoiled by my husband, I have to watch saying something is cute or pretty because he will bring one home. So your judgement is in error Betty. Lots of people dont give Christmas or Birthday gifts and they aren't Grincy because of it. Walter has been in my home and I can tell you that his wife is not either lacking anything in the being cared for department, and you can listen to Skreeman speak 5 minutes about his wife and know that he adores her!! To insinuate that someone does not love their husband or wife because they dont give Christmas or Birthday gifts is just plain ugly. You surprised me with that one sister.
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

http://www.oblatesusa.org/images/oblates/2004/Why%20do%20we.htm

--------------------

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

wparr,

Have you ever bought anyone a gift for anything? DO you think it is a sin to buy a birthday or anniversary gift? If not, what is the difference in buying a Christmas gift then a birthday gift?
betty

--------------------

Gramajo320
Advanced Member
Member # 4667

Hi Betty,

Again I say a huge Amen to your postings and I completely agree with what you state in your postings! Yes the churches do celebrate and honor Jesus's birth and that is as it should be for where would any of us be without Jesus. That's why we celebrate and honor Jesus's birth and why the churches celebrate and honor Jesus's birth. Yes we seem to be in a minority here on this bbs but in truth and actuality we aren't in a minority because millions up millions of people and churches both honor and celebrate Jesus's birth. We will have a very blessed wonderful celebration to honor Jesus's birth. No one can ruin it for us or take it away from us no matter what words they use here in their postings! God bless you very much, Betty!

Joanne

--------------------
Gramajo320

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Hardcore,

I meant when you were a child, but I am sorry that your hubby is a grinch. Hubby got me a Christmas present because he loves me. I am getting my mom a present because I love her. Only a grinch would not get a loved one a Christmas present. I prayed for God to provide the money for Christmas and He graciously did. I am grateful to God for answering my prayer.
betty

--------------------

hardcore
Advanced Member
Member # 4492

quote:
Personally, I don't see anything wrong with the Church doing that. You know the same people here complaing here, also got gifts from santa under their tree. I don't think santa should be in santuary, but in a seperate building for the children, I don't see problem.
betty

I won't be getting any gifts from santa or anyone else.
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with the Church doing that. You know the same people here complaing here, also got gifts from santa under their tree. I don't think santa should be in santuary, but in a seperate building for the children, I don't see problem.
betty

--------------------

hardcore
Advanced Member
Member # 4492

quote:

So, gramajo, and HisGrace we are not the minority.

The main stream Churches celeberate Christmas.

There's a couple of red flags right there.
hardcore
Advanced Member
Member # 4492

wparr - you'll love this - from a church near me:

At the Manger with Santa and Friends
December 3

Join Santa and his friends Frosty & Rudolph for a fun-filled time sure to thrill every child. Participate in a variety of special holiday activities with Santa’s elves – including a petting zoo with manger animals, cookie decorating, Christmas crafts, face painting, games, free play in our 21/2 story indoor play gym, breakfast or lunch in our food court and, of course, pictures with Santa Clause. Last, but certainly not least, you won’t want to miss the special Christmas performance by the Church Mice & Puppet team as they present, through music & drama, the true reason we celebrate Christmas – the birth of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Invite your neighbors, family & friends and we will see you the week after Thanksgiving!

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

thanks gramajo,

I am looking forward to the Christmas program at my mom's Church and to the candlight service at the Church we attended in Texas before we moved. The ladies at my mom's Church are having a Christmas party and I am going with my mom and my daughter.
God bless you GramaJo and take care. The Christian radio station in Washington and in Houston are both playing Christmas music. It is so weird, when you come here you think only a few celeberate Jesus' birth. But, Churches all over the world celeberate Christmas. So, gramajo, and HisGrace we are not the minority. In fact excpet for the few here that don't celeberate Christmas, the only ones that don't celeberate are Jehovah Wittness, Church of God, and Muslims and Jews. The main stream Churches celeberate Christmas.
betty

--------------------

hardcore
Advanced Member
Member # 4492

quote:
Is it apprpriate to be using cuss words on a Christian site (@#$# , is just a form for one)?

I have decided that I am not going to let anyone bother me about my tree. Does everything have Jesus on the name of it in your house? Are your dishes relegious themed. Are your towels relegious themed?
My Christmas tree is filled with relegious items.
If you don't want a tree, that is your privilage but get off of my back about it. I am tired of those who think that they are somehow better than others because they do not have a tree.

betty

Ha! Betty, you're funny. I guess you can safely use @&$*^#* since it didn't get censored.

I can't speak for others, but I certainly don't think I'm better than anyone else. I know better. I do happen to be more informed about the real origins of Christmas than some, that's all.

Some of us have chosen to post the truth about Christmas and you have chosen to be one of its most 'vocal' defenders. It's no different than some of the other passionate discussions that happen here. Others could easily accuse you and I of "being on their backs" with regard to false teaching, but they don't. They just continue to defend their position. Of course they did manage to chase us into a separate forum. Maybe we need a new forum for those who want to expose the truth about Christmas [Smile]

Seriously though, I certainly don't judge you or think you're not saved because you put up a Christmas tree. I disagree, but I love ya just the same.

Gramajo320
Advanced Member
Member # 4667

Hi Betty,

A huge amen to your postings and I am in total agreement with you! One thing for certain is that we will celebrate and honor Jesus's birth and we will have a very blessed wonderful time as we celebrate and honor Jesus's birth! No one can ruin it for us and no one can take it away no matter how much they try or what they say! God bless you very much, Betty!

Joanne

--------------------
Gramajo320

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 21 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I know, is I wish my apartment looked like that. [Razz] [hyper] [wiggle7] [wiggle7]
betty

--------------------

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 17 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yet you do not see Santa praying to the baby Jesus????????????

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

BESIDES IF SOMEONE CAN HAVE A GRINCH TO STEAL CHRISTMAS I CAN HAVE A SANTA PRAYING TO JESUS.
at least Jesus is in my picture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Is it apprpriate to be using cuss words on a Christian site (@#$# , is just a form for one)?

I have decided that I am not going to let anyone bother me about my tree. Does everything have Jesus on the name of it in your house? Are your dishes relegious themed. Are your towels relegious themed?
My Christmas tree is filled with relegious items.
If you don't want a tree, that is your privilage but get off of my back about it. I am tired of those who think that they are somehow better than others because they do not have a tree.

betty

--------------------

Gramajo320
Advanced Member
Member # 4667

We honor and celebrate Jesus Christ's birth and that's the way it is!! You cannot ruin it for those of us who celebrate and honor Jesus's birth and you cannot take it away no matter what you say!

--------------------
Gramajo320

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement