Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Discipline (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Discipline
Eden
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John 15:2
Every branch in Me that DOES NOT BEAR fruit He takes away: and every branch that DOES BEAR fruit, He purges it, that it may bring forth more fruit.

So what does "purges" mean? What does this DISCIPLINE look like in our actual life when we say say, "Yes, God does discipline His chilren"?

love, Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Found in Him says, Yes, God DOES discipline those He loves!

I agree. God tries to get us to do a better job of "hanging on" as He steps on the gas.

I recently read a comment by Cindy Jacob where she said "she had to hurry to keep up with the plans HE had!"

So HOW does God discipline us...exactly?

love, Eden

Eden
unregistered

Hosea 12:3
He took his brother by the heel in the womb, and by his strength he had power with God.

Genesis 32:28
And he {the angel} said, Your name shall no more be called Jacob, but [/b]Israel[/b]: for as a prince have you power with God and with men, and you have prevailed.

Yes, Ya-akob or "the second baby who had grabbed the heel of the first baby" had PREVAILED INDEED and now the event that his name had MEMORIALIZED WAS MADE A REALITY as God now crowned him ISRAEL, meaning, "as a prince you will now have power with God".

Esau's heart was always worldly and profane, but Jacob's heart was toward God as typified already that "already as a baby, he had realized what glory was attached to the right of the firstborn and his longing expressed itself in a long reach for the heel of his brother Esau, even at that early age.

As predicted, "the one who grabbed the heel" back then "became the prince who had power with God", and "as it should be".

love, Eden

WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 18 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David had the Lords whip on his soul the rest of his life after he ate another mans lamb.

2Sam.16

[5] And when king David came to Bahurim, behold, thence came out a man of the family of the house of Saul, whose name was Shimei, the son of Gera: he came forth, and cursed still as he came.
[7] And thus said Shimei when he cursed, Come out, come out, thou bloody man, and thou man of Belial:
[9] Then said Abishai the son of Zeruiah unto the king, Why should this dead dog curse my lord the king? let me go over, I pray thee, and take off his head.
[10] And the king said, What have I to do with you, ye sons of Zeruiah? so let him curse, because the LORD hath said unto him, Curse David. Who shall then say, Wherefore hast thou done so?

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Found in Him   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...and I think God ended up naming Jacob ISRAEL right??

God said to him, "Your name is Jacob; You shall no longer be called Jacob, But Israel shall be your name." Thus He called him Israel.

Yes, God DOES discipline those He loves!

--------------------
~To Him That is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy...to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.~ Jude 24

Posts: 1503 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Hebrew name Ya-akob comes from the root aqab, which means to swell up, and in the human body, aqab was the swollen part known as the human heel, the swollen bone of the foot.

In other words, the name Ya-akob was given to the second baby to memorialize what had just happened, since it was very unusual that one baby would grab the heel of the preceding baby, and so they called him Ya-akob, from the root aqab, or to swell up, which name meant "the one who had just grabbed the heel". That's all it meant. They didn't know what it meant yet...

But a lot of Christians, especially Gentile Christians, tend to think that Yaakob’s name was given to him because "HE was a heel" or "a bad person".

But search as one might, the testimony of the LORD about Ya-akob is that the LORD still called Yaakob a "tam" man later in life.

Yaakob was not a trickster, nor a deceiver; instead, his brother Esau was a trickster and a deceiver.

Malachi 1:2
"I have loved you", says the LORD, "Yet you say, Wherein have You loved us? Was not Esau Jacob's brother? said the LORD; yet I loved Jacob...

And as for Jacob acquiring the birthright of the firstborn from Esau, Jacob went about it legally and asked Esau if he'd sell it for a bowl of good soup that Jacob had made that day, and Esau who was not into cooking soup but loved the dangerous outdoor life of hunting, said to himself, "ah, what do I care about that birthright anyway, I can day any day out here", and Esau just didn't care and sold the birthright of the firstborn to Jacob, who, to his own astonishment, suddenly realized that he, Ya-cob, "the second baby who had grabbed the heel of the first baby", had suddenly come to pass.

So Found in Him, you posted this
quote:
Gen 27:6-16 (NIV) Rebekah said to her son Jacob [his name means 'he deceives']
No, it meant, "the one who had grabbed the heel", which is something entirely different than "he who deceives", isn't it?

love, Eden

Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dear Found in Him, since your Topic was naring the bottom with "no answers", I thought this piece out of it and make it a sidebar generated by your Topic:
quote:
Gen 27:6-16 (NIV) Rebekah said to her son Jacob [his name means 'he deceives']
Regarding the part that I bolded, I'm not so sure that that is the correct meaning of the name Jacob.

Because, wha' happen'd, wuz...

There were twins in the womb of Rebekah, and they were Esau and Jacob. On the day of the birth of the twins, baby Esau came out first and then baby Jacob came out next and baby Jacob grabbed the heal of baby Esau. Here it is:

Genesis 25
25 And the first {baby} came out red all over like a hairy garment; and they called his name Esau.

26 And after that his brother {Jacob} came out and his hand took hold on Esau's heel; and his name was called Jacob...

To the Hebrews of those days, and also to the Hebrew parents Isaac and Rebekah, the fact that "Jacob grabbed the heel of Esau" WAS AN UNUSAL, EVEN PROPHETIC EVENT and they tended to MEMORIALIZE this amazing event, that the SECOND baby had grabbed the heel of the FIRST baby, with the name "YA-KOB" "the one who grabbed the heel of the first baby", as in, "what did all THAT foreshadow and mean, LORD??", and it was the custom to MEMORIALIZE such auspicious moments with a name that recalled the event, and so they named this second baby JACOB, "the baby who grabbed the heel of the other baby".

love, Eden

Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Found in Him   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Discipline
Act 17:11 Bible Studies

Prov 3:11-12 (NIV) My son, do not despise the Lord's discipline and do not resent his rebuke, because the Lord disciplines those he loves, as a father the son he delights in.

Prov 15:5 (NIV) A fool spurns his father's discipline, but whoever heeds correction shows prudence.

When Bad Things Happen

# The Scriptures speak of three major categories of "trouble" for the believer: 1) discipline, judgment, or rebuke from the Lord; 2) tests, trials, and suffering; and 3) temptations or attacks from Satan. So when trouble comes, what type is it? Some kinds of trouble can be avoided and some cannot. Each requires a different response from Scripture! So how can the type of trouble be discerned? Is this God directly moving to correct me, or is this persecution for His Name, or is Satan behind the trouble? This is the first of three studies on the subject.

STUDY 1: Discipline, Judgment, or Rebuke of the Lord

Heb 12:5-8 (NIV) And you have forgotten that word of encouragement that addresses you as sons: "My son, do not make light of the Lord's discipline, and do not lose heart when he rebukes you, because the Lord disciplines those he loves, and he punishes everyone he accepts as a son." Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father? If you are not disciplined (and everyone undergoes discipline), then you are illegitimate children and not true sons.

Heb 12:9-11 (NIV) Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of our spirits and live! Our fathers disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in his holiness. No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

# God uses discipline as a last resort. If all God needed to justify mankind to himself was a bigger cattle-prod, then Christ died for nothing! No, God's plan for the earth is love first, discipline last. To get us to listen and repent, he will use deep conviction, the rebuke of friends, coincident sermons, the quickening of Scripture, and every other means before disciplining us. But if we resist God's Spirit of light and mercy, we are promised the rod of correction. When God disciplines, the punishment fits the crime. Time and again, we realize that we cannot get away with unrepentant sin. God is sculpting us into holy vessels, and the process can be painful.

Job 5:17-18 (NIV) "Blessed is the man whom God corrects; so do not despise the discipline of the Almighty. For he wounds, but he also binds up; he injures, but his hands also heal."

1 Cor 11:32 (Phi) But when God does judge us, he disciplines us as his own sons, that we may not be involved in the general condemnation of the world.

Prov 20:30 (NIV) Blows and wounds cleanse away evil, and beatings purge the innermost being.

Rev 3:19 (NIV) [Jesus] "Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest, and repent."

Rom 11:22 (Jer) Do not forget that God can be severe as well as kind...

Heb 10:31 (NIV) It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

Does God Have A "Style" Of Judgment?

Rev 16:7 (NIV) ... "Yes, Lord God Almighty, true and just are your judgments."

Rev 19:1-2 (NIV) ... "Hallelujah!... for true and righteous are his judgments."

Gal 6:7 (Jer) Don't delude yourself into thinking God can be cheated: where a man sows, there he reaps.

Num 32:23 (NIV) ... "Be sure your sin will find you out."

The Story Of Jacob As An Example Of God's Style Of Judgment

Gen 27:6-16 (NIV) Rebekah said to her son Jacob [his name means 'he deceives'], "Look, I overheard your father say to your brother Esau, 'Bring me some game and prepare me some tasty food to eat, so that I may give you my blessing in the presence of the Lord before I die.' Now, my son... Go out to the flock and bring me two choice young goats, so I can prepare tasty food for your father, just the way he likes it..." ... "But my brother Esau is a hairy man, and I'm a man with smooth skin..." "... Just do what I say, go and get them for me." ... Then Rebekah took the best clothes of Esau... and put them on her younger son Jacob. She also covered his hands and the smooth part of his neck with the goatskins.

Deception Using His Brother's Coat And A Dead Goat

Gen 27:19-36 (NIV) Jacob said to his father, "I am Esau your firstborn..." Isaac asked his son, "How did you find it so quickly, my son?" "The Lord your God gave me success," he replied. Jacob went close to his father Isaac, who touched him and said, "The voice is the voice of Jacob, but the hands are the hands of Esau... Are you really my son Esau?" "I am," he replied... After Isaac... had scarcely left his father's presence, his brother Esau came in from hunting... Esau said, "Isn't he rightly named Jacob? He has deceived me these two times: he took my birthright, and now he's taken my blessing!"

Jacob Learns A Lesson In The Rights Of The Firstborn

Gen 29:16-27 (NIV) Now Laban had two daughters, the name of the older was Leah, and the name of the younger was Rachel. Leah had weak eyes, but Rachel was lovely in form, and beautiful. Jacob was in love with Rachel and said, "I'll work seven years in return for your younger daughter Rachel."... So Jacob served seven years... Laban... gave a feast. But when evening came, he took his daughter Leah and gave her to Jacob, and Jacob lay with her... When morning came, there was Leah! So Jacob said to Laban, "What is this you have done to me? I served you for Rachel, didn't I? Why have you deceived me?" Laban replied, "It is not our custom here to give the younger daughter in marriage before the older one. Finish this daughter's bridal week; then we will give you the younger one also, in return for another seven years work."

Later In Life, Jacob Is Deceived Via Goat/Clothes By His Own Sons

Gen 37:23,28,31-33 (NIV) So when Joseph came to his brothers, they stripped him of his robe... and sold him for twenty shekels of silver to the Ishmaelites... Then they got Joseph's robe, slaughtered a goat and dipped the robe in the blood. They took the ornamented robe back to their father [Jacob] and said, "We found this. Examine it to see whether it is your son's robe." He recognized it and said, "It is my son's robe! Some ferocious animal has devoured him. Joseph has surely been torn to pieces."

1 Cor 10:6 (NIV) Now these things occurred as examples, to keep us from setting our hearts on evil things as they did.

Verbal Rebukes

Lev 19:17 (NIV) "... Rebuke your neighbor frankly so you will not share in his guilt."

Prov 19:25 (NIV) ... rebuke a discerning man, and he will gain knowledge.

# God will often use people to offer a verbal rebuke through prophecy or admonishment before disciplining us. Instead of letting our pride get offended, we should be willing to accept and give such rebukes within the body of Christ so that we can avoid sterner discipline--the rod.

Prov 17:10 (NIV) A rebuke impresses a man of discernment more than a hundred lashes a fool.

Prov 28:23 (NIV) He who rebukes a man will in the end gain more favor than he who has a flattering tongue.

Life Giving Rebuke

Prov 15:31 (NIV) He who listens to a life-giving rebuke will be at home among the wise.

# For a rebuke to be life-giving it must be: 1) correct, and 2) acted on. First, we must admit that not all rebukes we get, or give, are of God. The Spirit will confirm the truth of the rebuke. Secondly, even if the rebuke is correct, it will only serve to condemn us if we do not repent.

Ps 141:5 (NIV) Let a righteous man strike me--it is a kindness; let him rebuke me--it is oil on my head. My head will not refuse it...

Prov 25:12,27:5 (NIV) Like an earring of gold or an ornament of fine gold is a wise man's rebuke to a listening ear... Better is open rebuke than hidden love. (1 Tim 5:20)

Luke 17:3 (NIV) [Jesus] ... "If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him."

God's Miracles... Of Rebuke!

Num 11:1 (NIV) Now the people complained about their hardships in the hearing of the Lord, and when he heard them his anger was aroused. Then fire from the Lord burned among them and consumed some of the outskirts of the camp.

Num 26:10 (NIV) The earth opened its mouth and swallowed them, and they served as a warning sign.

Acts 5:5,11 (NIV) When Ananias heard this, he fell down and died... Great fear seized the whole church and all who heard about these events.

As Children, We Get The Punishment Now, Rather Than Later

1 Pet 4:17-19 (Phi) The time has evidently arrived for God's judgment to begin, and it is beginning at his own household. And if it starts with us, what is it going to mean for those who refuse to obey the gospel of God? If even the good man is only just saved, what will be the fate of the wicked and the sinner?... Therefore those who suffer according to God's will can safely commit their souls to their faithful Creator, and go on doing all the good they can.

Prov 22:15 (NIV) Folly is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline will drive it far from him.

Ps 23:4 (NIV) ... your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

--------------------
~To Him That is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy...to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.~ Jude 24

Posts: 1503 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement