Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Was Judas ever saved? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Was Judas ever saved?
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 15 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All you "Once Saved Always Saved" teachers do you think Yahshua understood His message?

Mathew 18...

23Therefore is the kingdom of heaven likened unto a certain king, which would take account of his servants.

24And when he had begun to reckon, one was brought unto him, which owed him ten thousand talents.

25But forasmuch as he had not to pay, his lord commanded him to be sold, and his wife, and children, and all that he had, and payment to be made.

26The servant therefore fell down, and worshipped him, saying, Lord, have patience with me, and I will pay thee all.

27Then the lord of that servant was moved with compassion, and loosed him, and forgave him the debt.

28But the same servant went out, and found one of his fellowservants, which owed him an hundred pence: and he laid hands on him, and took him by the throat, saying, Pay me that thou owest.

29And his fellowservant fell down at his feet, and besought him, saying, Have patience with me, and I will pay thee all.

30And he would not: but went and cast him into prison, till he should pay the debt.

31So when his fellowservants saw what was done, they were very sorry, and came and told unto their lord all that was done.

32Then his lord, after that he had called him, said unto him, O thou wicked servant, I forgave thee all that debt, because thou desiredst me:

33Shouldest not thou also have had compassion on thy fellowservant, even as I had pity on thee?

34And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him.

35So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.

The Lord gives a fantastic illustration of forgiveness in Matthew 18. Peter asks if he should forgive his brother seven times if he sins against him (Matt 18:21). Since the rabbinical standard was three times, Peter was being quite generous. The Lord’s answer surely surprised the disciples. He said that we should forgive "seventy times seven." Actually the Greek literally says seventy-seven times (compare Gen 4:24), but either way the Lord’s point is that our forgiveness is to be unlimited.

The Lord Jesus then gives a parable to illustrate how we ought to forgive. A servant was forgiven an Enron-sized debt of more than $2 billion by his master (Matt 18:27). The master illustrates God who forgives us all our sins. Then that blessed man went out and demanded payment from a man who owed him a comparatively trifling sum of about $4,000. (Literally the debt was 600,000 times smaller!) When his debtor begged for time to pay, he showed no mercy and threw him in debtor’s prison till the debt was paid (Matt 18:28-30).

The man made a grave mistake. He should have gratefully forgiven his debtors as his lord had forgiven him. After all, any debt owed him was like pennies compared to the great debt his master had forgiven.

Christians sometimes forget that there are two aspects to the Lord’s forgiveness: positional and experiential (or fellowship). Both aspects are illustrated in the Matthew 18 parable.

When the master learned of this hypocrisy on his servant’s part, he had him incarcerated "until he should pay all that was due to him" (Matt 18:34). The conclusion is this, "So My heavenly Father also will do to you if each of you, from his heart, does not forgive his brother his trespasses" (Matt 18:35).2

If the man was already forgiven, how could his master hold him accountable for not forgiving others? The initial forgiveness illustrates the positional forgiveness every believer has in Christ. Many passages indicate that the moment we believe in Christ, we are totally forgiven in terms of our position as eternal children of God. "In Christ we have…the forgiveness of sins" (Col 1:14). "[He has] forgiven you all trespasses…having nailed [them] to the cross" (Col 2:13-14).

But positional forgiveness must not be understood to mean that we always are in fellowship with God. Forgiven people need forgiveness in order to remain in fellowship with God. One commentator beautifully expressed this truth: "An unforgiving spirit is sure to provoke the anger of God; so much so, that His free forgiveness of sinners ceases to flow to them, when in this way they offend. So to speak, it revives the guilt of their already forgiven sins" (Plummer, Matthew, p. 257).

If we fail to forgive those who commit offenses against us, we will fall out of fellowship with God and stand in need of His fellowship forgiveness (Matt 6:15; 18:35).

Of course, failing to forgive others is not the only sin that can interrupt our fellowship with God. First John 1:9 is a key progressive sanctification verse: "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." Believers need to be honest with God concerning all sin in order to remain in fellowship with Him.

In the movie Love Story Ali McGraw told Ryan O’Neal that "Love means never having to say you’re sorry." That is a clever line in the movies, but it isn’t true. Confession and forgiveness are necessary if two people are to remain in fellowship with each other. Rejoice that positional forgiveness is total. God’s positional forgiveness covers all sins, past, present, and future. In the positional sense there is nothing a believer can ever do to lose God’s forgiveness.

Remember that fellowship forgiveness needs constant renewing. While all believers start the Christian life with fellowship forgiveness, they require it anew every time they are aware of new sin in their lives. Confession results in ongoing fellowship forgiveness.

Let your gratitude for God’s forgiveness motivate you to forgive others. It is hypocritical to receive enormous forgiveness from God and then refuse to extend forgiveness to others over comparatively minor matters. Grateful Christians should be forgiving people. It is noteworthy that many passages dealing with God’s forgiveness enjoin us to forgive others.3 And remember that at the Judgment Seat of Christ those who have been merciful to others will receive special mercy (Jas 2:13).

1 Luke 7:42, 43; 2 Cor 2:7, 10 (twice); 12:13; Eph 4:32 (twice); Col 2:13; 3:13 (twice).

2 F. F. Bruce writes, "If we find it difficult to accommodate v. 35 within our theological system, we should modify our system to make room for it rather than try to make v. 25 mean something different from what it says" (Matthew, p. 61).

3 See, for example, Eph 4:32 & Col 3:13.

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In spite of his affiliation with the band of disciples, and his association with Christ, Judas was not a true believer.

John 6:63 - 64 (NLT) 63 The Spirit alone gives eternal life. Human effort accomplishes nothing. And the very words I have spoken to you are spirit and life. 64 But some of you do not believe me.” (For Jesus knew from the beginning which ones didn’t believe, and he knew who would betray him.)

John 6:70 - 71 (NLT) 70 Then Jesus said, “I chose the twelve of you, but one is a devil.” 71 He was speaking of Judas, son of Simon Iscariot, one of the Twelve, who would later betray him.

John 13:10 - 11 (NLT) 10 Jesus replied, “A person who has bathed all over does not need to wash, except for the feet, to be entirely clean. And you disciples are clean, but not all of you.” 11 For Jesus knew who would betray him. That is what he meant when he said, “Not all of you are clean.”

John 13:18 (NLT) 18 “I am not saying these things to all of you; I know the ones I have chosen. But this fulfills the Scripture that says, ‘The one who eats my food has turned against me.’

John 17:12 (NLT) 12 During my time here, I protected them by the power of the name you gave me. I guarded them so that not one was lost, except the one headed for destruction , as the Scriptures foretold.

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 6 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have answered your own question.

"Scripture says "Satan entered into Judas":"

Had he been SEALED with the Spirit this would be a imposible happening.

The Bible tells of unclean spirits returning to unsealed property.

Then he (the unclean spirit) saith, I will return into my house from whence I came out; and when he is come, he findeth it empty, swept, and garnished but NOT SEALED.

Ephesians 1:13

In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
Ephesians 4:30

And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aaron
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[quote=article]In his first aforementioned paragraph, MacArthur mentions twice that Judas "followed the Lord"! In the latter of these two, he elaborates by saying of Judas, "He had left everything to follow the Lord." Yet, later in this same article, he states, "Judas illustrates false discipleship" (p.104)! This is illogical! A false disciple cannot be one who has "left everything to follow the Lord"! According to Jesus, one must "give up everything he has" or he can't be His disciple (Lk. 14:33)! Certainly, Jesus wasn't speaking of false discipleship here.[/quote]

What...A person cannot follow the Lord for the wrong reasons? Furthermore, don't people, every day, give up all they have for reasons other than "following Jesus Christ"?

What I find interesting is that Judas was not around when Jesus breathed the Holy Spirit onto the disciples:

quote:
Jhn 20:22 And when He had said this, He breathed on them, and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit."
So Judas never received the Holy Spirit. Certainly no one could have received the Holy Spirit until an event occurred:

quote:
Jhn 7:39 But this He spoke concerning the Spirit, whom those believing in Him would receive; for the Holy Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.
And this glorification occurred after the Lord's prayer here:

quote:
Jhn 17:5 And now, O Father, glorify Me together with Yourself, with the glory which I had with You before the world was.
This glorification occurred after Our Lord's death on the cross.

So the pattern is:

Jesus speaks of the Spirit that will not be given until He's glorified ->
Jesus prays about His glorification that would come after the cross ->
Judas betrays Jesus ->
Judas dies ->
Jesus is crucified ->
the Holy Spirit is given as a seal to the disciples by Jesus' breath ->
the Holy Spirit is given as a seal to all believers

quote:
Jhn 20:22 And when He had said this, He breathed on them, and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit."
quote:
Eph 1:13 In whom you also trusted, after that you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that you believed, you were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise...
Aaron
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kindgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Judas was never saved...

John 6:70 Jesus answered them, Have not I chosen you twelve, and one of you is a devil?

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

Inside the will of God there is no failure. Outside the will of God there is no success.

Posts: 4320 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 15 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kindgo Yahshua / Jesus said Judas was an Apostle, not me...

OSAS is a lie from the pit of hell...may Yahweh have mercy on you and other for teaching it.

OSAS can only be true if Judas can be proved not be an Apostle...

Eternal security proponents face many difficult passages of Scripture, that is, difficult for them because they clearly contradict their treasured and beloved doctrine. The contradictions from Scripture concerning their teaching exist either by specific example or simple declaration pertaining to this subject.

Regarding examples that contradict eternal security, perhaps the Apostle Judas Iscariot is most difficult for them. It seems that the facts revolving around this apostle must be distorted, twisted, read into and/or overlooked to maintain their erroneous view of the believer's security. Even illogical statements and Scripturally unsubstantiated statements surface to reconcile events in his life to eternal security!

It is obvious that the Apostle Judas Iscariot went to Hell after betraying Jesus and committing suicide: "Woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born" (Mark 14:21). Because of this fact, the eternal security proponents are left with no alternative but to dogmatically insist that Judas was never really saved to begin with or forfeit their belief in eternal security, something which few of them seem to be willing to do.

John MacArthur, Jr. is no exception to this! Though he has many fine teaching cassettes and books available, when it comes to the subject of eternal security, even when it is not directly the issue, he becomes Scripturally unsound and illogical, like Charles Stanley and other perpetuators of this teaching.

The following are excerpts from MacArthur's book, The Gospel According To Jesus (1989) regarding Judas from his eternal security perspective:

"Judas is a prime example of a professing believer who fell into absolute apostasy. For three years he followed the Lord with the other disciples. He appeared to be one of them. Presumably he thought of himself as a believer, at least at the outset. It is doubtful that he joined Christ's band with the intention of turning against him. Somewhere along the line he became greedy, but that could hardly have been his motive in the beginning; Jesus and the disciples never had anything of material value (Matthew 8:20). Apparently Judas initially shared the hope of Christ's kingdom, and he likely believed that Jesus was the Messiah. After all, he also had left everything to follow the Lord. In modern terminology, he had 'accepted' Jesus ...."

"Yet, while the others were growing into apostles, Judas was quietly becoming a vile, calculating tool of Satan. Whatever his character seemed to be at the beginning, his faith was not real (John 13:10-11). He was unregenerated, and his heart gradually hardened so that he became the treacherous man who sold the Savior for a fistful of coins. In the end, he was so prepared to do Satan's bidding that the devil himself possessed Judas (John 13:27)" (p.99, emphasis ours).

In his first aforementioned paragraph, MacArthur mentions twice that Judas "followed the Lord"! In the latter of these two, he elaborates by saying of Judas, "He had left everything to follow the Lord." Yet, later in this same article, he states, "Judas illustrates false discipleship" (p.104)! This is illogical! A false disciple cannot be one who has "left everything to follow the Lord"! According to Jesus, one must "give up everything he has" or he can't be His disciple (Lk. 14:33)! Certainly, Jesus wasn't speaking of false discipleship here.

Furthermore, as you can see, MacArthur has Judas "join[ing] Christ's band," as if it already existed before he came on the scene! In contrast, the Biblical account states the following:

"When morning came, he called HIS DISCIPLES to him and chose twelve of them whom he also designated apostles: Simon (whom he named Peter), his brother Andrew, James, John, Philip, Bartholomew, Matthew, Thomas, James son of Alphaeus, Simon who was called the Zealot, Judas son of James, and Judas Iscariot, who became a traitor" (Lk. 6:13-16).

Please note: the first time we hear of Judas Iscariot, we are informed that he already was a "disciple." Furthermore, he was "called" and "chosen" by Christ Himself to be an "apostle" at the same time as the other twelve. See also Jn. 6:70. Judas did NOT just "join" Christ's band which already existed, as this eternal security teacher writes, for he was already part of that group!

MacArthur also erroneously has the Twelve, that is, minus Judas Iscariot, "growing into apostles" instead of instantly being made "apostles" by Christ Himself! Judas too was of this group "chosen" over the other disciples that were present to be the Lord's apostle! This fact about instant apostleship is also shown elsewhere in Scripture and confirmed by the origin of Paul's apostleship (Rom. 1:1). One NEVER "grow[s]" into an apostle, as MacArthur teaches!

Going back to the Scripture passage, please note that Judas "became" a traitor (Lk. 6:16). The word "became" for Judas suggests a change for the worse that occurred sometime after he was chosen as a disciple by Christ to be His apostle, or "special messenger," as that word means. In other words, Judas went from "disciple" to "apostle" to "traitor." Or we might say he was once a "disciple" of the Lord's elevated to apostle, who later "became a traitor," as Scripture words it. Either way, the spiritual condition of this apostle regressed to the place where he betrayed Christ, committed suicide (self-murder) and then went to Hell! What an awesome thing to contemplate!

Also, remember this about Judas: he was sent forth to preach, heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those having leprosy and to drive out demons (Matt. 10:6-8)! Mk. 3:14,15 state that the Twelve, including Judas, were given spiritual authority by Jesus to drive out demons! For a person to indirectly say that Judas was never saved is to say that Jesus chose Judas, who was unholy, to be his holy representative! [Please see our article, "He was never really saved to begin with."]

Moreover, Jesus quotes from Ps. 41 and attributes it to Judas in Jn. 13:18b. That full verse from Ps. 41 is: "Even my close friend, whom I trusted, he who shared my bread, has lifted up his heel against me," v.9. Please note that Judas was once Jesus' "close friend whom I [Jesus] trusted"! Since Jesus "knew what was in a man" (Jn. 2:25), that is, in his heart, how then could Jesus trust Judas in the early days of their companionship if Judas was never saved? Also, Ps. 41:9 states that Judas was Jesus' "close friend" at that same time. Could that be possible if he was never saved?

MacArthur also made the statement, "his faith was not real" in reference to Judas based on Jn. 13:10,11 where we read, "A person who has had a bath needs only to wash his feet; his whole body is clean. And you are clean, though not every one of you. For he knew who was going to betray him and that was why he said not every one was clean." MacArthur "reads into" those verses as he wears his eternal security glasses and sees that Judas was not "clean" in contrast to the other disciples. But does this say that Judas was never "clean"? It merely says, at that point in time, Judas wasn't "clean" then! Remember, he was a disciple in the beginning, chosen to be an apostle, so he must have been "clean" at the beginning! Hence, MacArthur tries to make Jn. 13:10,11 say that Judas didn't have "real" faith -- without a solid Scriptural basis!

Other eternal security proponents say Judas was called a "devil" (Jn. 6:70), a "thief" (Jn. 12:6), and "Satan entered into him" (Jn. 13:27), how then could he have been saved? Such overlook the truth that one's spiritual condition can CHANGE from righteous to evil as exemplified with Demas, the Prodigal Son and Solomon.

Some have also confused the truth stated in Jn. 6:64 to mean Judas never believed even from the beginning. However, it doesn't say that at all! The verses read, "'Yet there are some of you who do not believe.' For Jesus had known from the beginning which of them (plural) did not believe and who (singular) would betray him." Notice there are TWO groups referred to here. This is evident in the Greek. One is plural in tense that didn't believe from the beginning and the other is singular in tense referring to Judas who would betray him! The Wuest translation renders Jn. 6:64 as follows: "But there are some of you who are not believing. For Jesus knew from the beginning who THEY WERE who were not believing, and who the ONE WAS who was betraying him." (For other eternal security arguments about Judas and their refutations, please consult pages 32-34 in my first book, The Believer's Security: Conditional or Unconditional?) or see our what's new page for information on my new 801 page book entitled, The Believer's Conditional Security.

Eternal security proponents are obviously so accustomed to hearing illogical argumentation such as these to support their doctrine, they seem to be desensitized as to how absurd it is to be taught that one of the original Twelve apostles, "chosen" by Christ Himself, was never really saved, as must be asserted! If not, eternal security would be logically refuted! This apparent absurdity might be why the teachers of such almost never refer to Judas by his church title -- "Apostle," the highest office in the New Testament church (1 Cor. 12:28; Eph. 4:11)! Can you remember the last time you heard an eternal security teacher refer to the Lord's betrayer as "the Apostle Judas" or "the Apostle Judas Iscariot" who became a traitor?

Again, to maintain a belief in their doctrine, the eternal security proponents shockingly believe the Apostle Judas Iscariot was never saved! Wow!

How sobering it should be for all to ponder what happened to the Apostle Judas in the New Testament and Solomon, the builder of the Temple, in the Old Testament, that is, how their righteous and pure hearts became evil and corrupted over the course of time. This intense spiritual warfare, which we are now fighting, has destroyed many that were saved at one time, according to Scripture.

Reader, be on your guard against the devil's various efforts to plunge even YOU into ruin and destruction. Paul wrote:

"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore, put on the full armor of God so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the FLAMING ARROWS OF THE EVIL ONE. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints" (Eph. 6:10-18).

To adopt the eternal security understanding that the Apostle Judas was never saved is to do away with his fall from such a high spiritual position, which is also a prime indicator of our intense, spiritual warfare and its casualties! Our spiritual war will never end for us, that is, until we die physically or get caught up to meet the Lord in the air. Considering this, Jesus both advises and at the same time declares the sad future for many who know Heaven is a reality, "Be endeavoring with a strenuous zeal to enter through the narrow door, because many, I am saying to you, will seek to enter and will NOT be able" (Lk. 13:24, Wuest).

Return to top

The True Plan of Salvation

The true plan of salvation is repentance towards God and faith in Christ Jesus (Acts 20:21). We prove our repentance by our deeds (Acts 26:20). The Lord Jesus taught the road to life is "hard" and only a "few" will find it (Mt. 7:13,14, NKJV). Many get saved, but afterwards fall away (Lk. 8:13; Jn. 6:66; 1 Tim. 1:19; etc.). In other words, after initial salvation we must endure to the "end" to enter the kingdom of God and escape the lake of fire (Mt. 10:22; Heb. 3:14; Rev. 2:10,11). Eternal life comes to the repentant the moment such believe on Jesus for salvation (Jn. 3:16; 6:47; 1 Jn. 5:12,13), but there is another important aspect of eternal life that many are totally unware of in our day because of the false teaching of eternal security. According to true grace teaching, eternal life is also a HOPE (Titus 3:7), yet to be REAPED (Gal. 6:8,9) in the AGE TO COME (Mk. 10:30) for only the ones who PERSIST IN DOING GOOD (Rom. 2:7) and DO NOT GROW WEARY AND GIVE UP (Gal. 6:9).

If a saved person sows to please his sinful nature he'll die spiritually (Rom. 8:13; Gal. 6:8,9). The prodigal is a clear example of this (Lk. 15:24,32). The end result of sin is spiritual death, so DO NOT BE DECEIVED (James 1:14-16). For more information regarding the believer's security, see our what's new page. Our 801 page book, The Believer's Conditional Security, is the most exhaustive and comprehensive refutation to eternal security ever written. It will not be refuted!

Because of the teaching of once saved always saved, grace has been taught as a license for immorality for so long, and without challenge, that when Scripture is quoted, such as 1 Cor. 6:9,10 or Rev. 21:8, it is disregarded, and the giver of God's Word is falsely accused of teaching legalism, bondage, works, etc. This reflects how truly dark are the days in which we live!

The ACID TEST question to know if a ministry or local congregation is teaching a license for immorality as condemned by Jude 3,4 is: Does true grace allow the sexually immoral in heaven? If their answer is "YES," avoid it like the AIDS virus! To sit under this teaching influence could mean that your soul and the souls of your loved ones will be eternally damned as a result. To support and promote such a ministry and teaching is to share in its wicked work (2 Jn. 9-11). This includes your financial donations! Flee from such a ministry or congregation and encourage others to do the same before it's eternally too late.

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kindgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Judas was never a believer and therefore never saved. Jesus addressed a group that was following Him and said, "'But there are some of you who do not believe.' For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who it was that would betray Him." (John 6:64).

Then, addressing the 12 disciples Jesus said, "'Did I Myself not choose you, the twelve, and yet one of you is a devil?' Now He meant Judas the son of Simon Iscariot, for he, one of the twelve, was going to betray Him" (John 6:70-71).

Jesus knew He had to go to the cross and chose Judas as a disciple because He knew that he would betray Him.

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

Inside the will of God there is no failure. Outside the will of God there is no success.

Posts: 4320 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Was Judas ever saved?
Did he backslide?
Did he go to hell?

Scripture says "Satan entered into Judas":
Luke 22:3 "Then entered Satan into Judas surnamed Iscariot, being of the number of the twelve."
John 13:27 "And after the sop Satan entered into him. Then said Jesus unto him, That thou doest, do quickly."
John 13:2 says, "And supper being ended, the devil having now put into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon's [son], to betray him."

Jesus called Judas a devil:
John 6:70 "Jesus answered them, Have not I chosen you twelve, and one of you is a devil? "

Yet Scripture refers to Judas as "one of his disciples" (John 12:4 and Luke 6:13, 16), and "one of the twelve" (Luke 22:47; John 6:41)

Judas saw the miracles (Luke 6); he attended prayer meetings of Jesus with his other disciples (John 18:2). He had a "ministry" (Acts 1:17) and place of responsibility among the believers (John 13:29). He was trusted by the other believers - enough to carry the bag of money (John 13:29).

Apparently Judas thought - or at least attempted to appear - that he was a believer ("manifest thyself unto us"), as opposed to being one of those in the world:
John 14:22 "Judas saith unto him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world?"

Notice what Acts 1 says about Judas - that "he was numbered among us" (v. 17, i.e., was a disciple) - that Judas' fall was prophesied in the Old Testament (v. 16) - and that he had had a "ministry" (v. 17) and was to be replaced (Acts 1:20):
Acts 1:16 "Men [and] brethren, this scripture must needs have been fulfilled, which the Holy Ghost by the mouth of David spake before concerning Judas, which was guide to them that took Jesu"
Acts 1:17 "For he was numbered with us, and had obtained part of this ministry."

Further note how Acts says Judas fell by SIN (he was not FORCED by Satan, who had entered into him; he was personally ACCOUNTABLE for his actions):
Act 1:25 "That he may take part of this ministry and apostleship, from which Judas by transgression fell, that he might go to his own place."

Jesus said it would have been "better for this man" (Judas) had he "never been born" (Mark 14:21).

What really amazes me is that Judas was entrusted with responsibility (handling the money) EVEN THOUGH "Jesus KNEW from the beginning.... who should betray him" (John 6:64). God ALLOWS deceivers and thieves among his people, even to be "numbered with" or considered one of us. And remember, Jesus CHOSE Judas to be one of "the Twelve"!

KNOWING that Judas was the one who would betray him, Jesus LET HIM CONTINUE with the others, learning where they hung out, etc. (John 18:2, "And Judas also, which betrayed him, knew the place for Jesus oftimes resorted thither with his disciples.") That's how Judas "knew the place" where to tell the soldiers to find Jesus, in his betrayal (Mat 26:47):
John 18:2 "And Judas also, which betrayed him, knew the place: for Jesus ofttimes resorted thither with his disciples."

Judas was suspicious of his own spiritual condition - it says he even asked Jesus if he was the one who would betray him:
Mat 26:25 "Then Judas, which betrayed him, answered and said, Master, is it I? He said unto him, Thou hast said."

Afterwards, it says Judas recognized "he was condemned" - and even tried to return the 30 pieces of silver. Scripture records his words to those who had hired him - "I have sinned."
Mat 27:3 "Then Judas, which had betrayed him, when he saw that he was condemned, repented himself, and brought again the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders,"
Mat 27:4 "Saying, I have sinned in that I have betrayed the innocent blood..."

Judas' downfall was money - the "thirty pieces of silver" - ironically, the very ministry with which he was entrusted.

Regarding the state of Judas' soul:

During the time he seemed to be following Jesus, except that when the woman anointed Jesus with expensive perfume (John 12), Judas was outraged, saying the money should have been given to the poor. It says, "He did not say this because he cared about the poor, but because he was a thief; as keeper of the money bag, he used to help himself to what was put in it." (vs.6)

John 12:3 Then took Mary a pound of ointment of spikenard, very costly, and anointed the feet of Jesus, and wiped his feet with her hair: and the house was filled with the odour of the ointment.
John 12:4 Then saith one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, Simon's [son], which should betray him,
John 12:5 Why was not this ointment sold for three hundred pence, and given to the poor?
John 12:6 This he said, not that he cared for the poor; but because he was a thief, and had the bag, and bare what was put therein.
John 12:7 Then said Jesus, Let her alone: against the day of my burying hath she kept this.
John 12:8 For the poor always ye have with you; but me ye have not always.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement