Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Miraculous Spiritual Gifts Have Ceased (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Miraculous Spiritual Gifts Have Ceased
Aaron
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never been able to convince one who believes the gifts have ceased that the gifts, in fact, continue to this day. Furthermore, God has never prompted me to display one of the gifts, as evidence of their continuation, to the skeptics.

But I have this testimony: In the name of Jesus Christ the blind see, the lame are healed, the sick are restored, and demons are cast out. Oh, and gifts are imparted by the laying on of hands.

If the above is the work of the devil then I am completely lost because I believe that Jesus Christ, Himself, is doing the work.

Aaron

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only had to read the first few paragraphs to be able to comment. Natural ability may be of God when one considers it. However, it is meaningless with regard to the heavenly realm wherein one is supposedly seated if they are Christ's. Paul had every reason to be confident in his abilities, and knowledge, however this is what he said:

Php 3:4 Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more:
Php 3:5 Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee;
Php 3:6 Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.
Php 3:7 But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.
Php 3:8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,

As far as gifts of the Spirit and miracles go, they are no different than our risen Lord, wherein one, named Thomas, would not believe unless he saw Him. But even seeing would not be good enough for some. They would only be angry.

You do not say this by the Spirit of God:

quote:
Here the Holy Spirit declares plainly through the mouth of Paul that there will be a time in which “prophecies will fail”—“tongues will cease” and “knowledge will vanish away.” The time when this will occur is identified. These gifts mentioned, of prophecy, tongues and (by inference) revealed knowledge are described as things which are only “in part.” This is an important declaration. In spite of the views of modern charismatics these gifts were never to represent the fullness of God’s interaction with man. They were not an end unto themselves, but were something “in part.” Paul tells us that these things will end, “when that which is perfect has come.” There are four ways this is usually explained:

You cannot tell anyone when He will return. Yet you can predict when the gifts ended. Strange! When that which is perfect is come!!! That would likely be after the second coming.

You are self convinced, (which of course you would accuse us of). I am convinced of His Spirit. I have this joy in beholding Him.

Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hittite1963
Advanced Member
Member # 7092

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hittite1963   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a recent discussion on the topic How does the Holy Spirit work in a Christian? the question was raised, “Can you prove from Scripture that miraculous spiritual gifts have ceased?” Rather than simply add to an already very lengthy post, I thought it might be better to introduce this as a new topic. I recognize that this may present some ideas that are foreign to some, but I encourage you to carefully consider the points offered below and test them by the standard of God’s words. I welcome your comments or questions.

Can You Prove From Scripture That Miraculous Spiritual Gifts Have Ceased?

To answer this question I offer seven points for your consideration: 1) The Definition of "Miraculous Spiritual Gifts"; 2) The Biblical Doctrine of “the Laying on of the Apostles’ Hands”; 3) The Stated Purpose of Miraculous Spiritual Gifts; 4) Peripheral Evidence (i.e. some things evident from the structure, preservation, and existence of Scripture); 5) Prophetic Evidence (i.e. evidence from Old Testament prophecy); 6) Evidence from First Corinthians; and finally 7) From evidence from what is taught regarding the Binding of Satan.

I. The Definition of "Miraculous Spiritual Gifts"
To understand the role and duration of miraculous spiritual gifts we must first understand what the Scripture teaches regarding these gifts. In general terms, these gifts are of a character which operates beyond and outside of the natural operation of the body and mind. These are distinct from gifts given by God which are non-miraculous in nature, and are distinct from promises God has made regarding the general benefits of prayer to the Christian.

A list which the Holy Spirit offers of some such gifts is found in First Corinthians 12:4-11. Let’s consider each of the gifts mentioned:

“Word of Wisdom” – “Word of Knowledge” – “Faith” (12:8-9). These gifts refer to revealed wisdom, knowledge, or elements of “the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints” (Jude 3). Personal faith is not bestowed upon a person. Rather, it comes from hearing the word of God (Romans 10:17). It is possible that the gift of “faith” might refer to strong faith in the same sense that Paul speaks of his own self-control as a “gift” (cf. I Corinthians 7:7). However, the context makes it more likely that he is talking about the revelation of information, categorized as wisdom, knowledge and faith.

“Healings” – “Working of Miracles” (12:9-10). This is the ability to Divinely perform a miracle of healing. This is to be distinguished from simply the “prayer of faith” (James 5:15). While the gifts of “healings” or “working miracles” might involve prayer, this gift allowed an individual to call the power of God toward the immediate healing of another.

“Prophecy” (12:10) is the direct revelation of information received independent of the personal study of the prophet. This was not exclusively predictive in nature. Some prophecy was simply instructive. It was not ecstatic (cf. I Corinthians 14:32). The prophet was in control of his or her mind and spirit.

“Discerning of Spirits” (12:10) is the miraculous ability to know the motive or content of another one’s spirit whether human (see Acts 13:9-11) or demonic (I Corinthians 10:20).

“Different Kinds of Tongues” – “Interpretation of Tongues” (12:10). As the account on Pentecost shows, these were human tongues. This gift allowed the bearer to communicate with others in languages which they had not studied. On Pentecost this involved both the ability to speak different tongues (Acts 2:4) and to be understood in one’s own language (Acts 2:8). “Interpretation of tongues” would have allowed the bearer to understand another person’s language in discourse (cf. I Corinthians 14:28). Paul’s instructions to Corinth may have been given in an attempt to train them principles by which they could distinguish genuine tongues from the ecstatic utterances which they might have practiced as pagans (I Corinthians 12:2-3).

These are not the only “gifts.” Roman 12:6-8 list other gifts some of which are miraculous in nature and others which are not. Nor are these the only works in the church. Ephesians 4:11 lists some types of works which were dependant upon miraculous gifts and some which were not. In broad terms, miraculous spiritual gifts were gifts which enabled the bearer to use Divine power to act in ways which suspended (or overcame) laws of nature. These gifts operated under the control of the bearer of these gifts.

II. The Biblical Doctrine of “The Laying On of the Apostles’ Hands”
There is a clear connection between the distribution of these gifts and the work of the apostles. The apostles held a special role in the establishment of the church. Not all disciples were apostles. We see this from the qualifications of apostles outlined in Acts 2:21-22. The apostles were not limited to the possession of simply one gift. They could prophesy, heal, perform miracles, and speak in tongues. They were, however, able to distribute gifts. This can be seen from the account of Simon who sinned in trying to buy the ability to “lay hands on” others in order to distribute gifts himself. While the text describes this as simply the “Holy Spirit” being given, the context makes it clear that this involved special gifts which were not simply given when a person obeyed the gospel. Those in Samaria obeyed the gospel, but they had not yet received the Spirit (Acts 8:17). The converts in Ephesus did not “receive the Holy Spirit” upon their baptism, but after Paul laid hands upon them. It was only then that they spoke in tongues and prophesied (Acts 19:5-6). Timothy received a gift by the laying on of Paul’s hands (II Timothy 1:6). This same instance is referred to in I Timothy 4:14 as the laying on of the hands of the “presbytery” (a term meaning eldership)—used here of the apostles as those elder in the faith. The church in Rome, most likely established by converts from Pentecost who returned back to Rome, had not received miraculous spiritual gifts upon the writing of Paul’s epistle to them (see Romans 1:11-12). This had not happened yet because neither he (nor apparently other apostles) had yet been to Rome (see Romans 15:23). This special function of the apostles, by which miraculous spiritual gifts were distributed, is undoubtedly one of the reasons Paul told the Ephesians the church is built upon the “foundation of the apostles and prophets with Jesus Christ Himself as the chief cornerstone” (Ephesians 2:20).

This special role of the apostles was unique. They did not establish a chain of apostolic succession (as our Roman Catholic friends try to affirm). There is no Scriptural evidence that their authority as “ambassadors of Christ” (II Corinthians 5:20) passed to others beyond their death. In the same way, the special ability bestowed upon them to lay hands upon others and distribute spiritual gifts, was not passed on to others upon their death. There is not Scriptural evidence that one who received a miraculous spiritual gift had the ability to “lay hands on” others in order to distribute such gifts. As a result, upon the death of the apostles the Scriptural means to distribute spiritual gifts came to an end. Upon the death of those who had received the “laying of the hands of the apostles” all miraculous spiritual gifts came to an end.

III. The Stated Purpose of Miraculous Spiritual Gifts
Scripture reveals to us a great deal about the purpose and significance of these miraculous spiritual gifts. This helps us understand a number of things about their duration and the role which they played in the establishment of the Lord’s church. In Mark’s account of the Great Commission Jesus promised:
quote:
And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; they will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover (Mark 16:17-18).
There is no question that these signs truly did “follow those who believed.” Yet, the Holy Spirit, goes further to tell us about this, declaring:
quote:
So then, after the Lord had spoken to them, He was received up into heaven, and sat down at the right hand of God. And they went out and preached everywhere, the Lord working with them and confirming the word through the accompanying signs. Amen (Mark 16:19-20).
Here the Holy Spirit declares a purpose for these gifts. Through these gifts the Lord demonstrated that He was “working with them” in order to “confirm” the word “through the accompanying signs. Was this confirmation personal in nature? In other words, did the Lord provide a miracle or sign to every individual in doubt in order to confirm the validity of the message? No. In Acts 17:32, after preaching to those in Athens, no miracle is offered in spite of the fact that “some mocked” while others asked to hear Paul again. It is also clear that these gifts were not intended to grant deliverance and healing to all who were sick. Paul, states plainly that he left a companion named Trophimus sick in Miletus (II Timothy 4:20). Paul certainly could have healed him, but it was not done. It is evident that these miraculous gifts were intended to collectively demonstrate the Divine nature of the message of salvation that was being preached in Jesus Christ. The Hebrew writer declares the same fact, speaking of the “great salvation” taught in Christ:
quote:
… which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed to us by those who heard Him, God also bearing witness both with signs and wonders, with various miracles, and gifts of the Holy Spirit, according to His own will (Hebrews 2:3-4).
Here the Hebrew writer states in essence what Mark declared. In these signs, wonders and various miracles God showed Himself to be “bearing witness” as a means of confirmation of the message. With this as a stated purpose of these miraculous spiritual gifts, we must consider does God need to continue to bear witness to a word that has been confirmed? Many in modern times seem to feel as if the New Testament “witness” of God was insufficient. It must be understood that these gifts, which served to both reveal the word and then confirm its validity were never intended to serve as a constant and ongoing process of revelation and confirmation. The Holy Spirit Himself tells us that they offered confirmation. A message that has been confirm to be Divine, needs no further “witness” to establish its validity.

IV. Peripheral Evidence
There can be no dispute that there have been times in human history when God has been silent in regard to the revelation of Scripture.
  • From creation until the giving of the Law of Moses, there is no Scriptural evidence of any revealed Scripture. God did, however, speak to some Patriarchs directly.
  • Between the Old and New Testaments there was a 400 year period in which there was no Scripture revealed. The examples of Simeon (Luke 2:25-26) and Anna (Luke 2:36-38) show that there may have been some prophetic revelation during this period, in spite of the fact that there was no Scripture revealed.
  • Since the writing of the book of Revelation, there has been no Scripture revealed.
At the very least this shows that the miraculous spiritual gift which led to the inspiration of Scripture has ceased.

V. Prophetic Evidence
Two Old Testament passages address matters related to the issue of miraculous spiritual gifts: Joel 2:28-29 and Zechariah 13:1-6.
  • Joel 2:28-29 promises:
    quote:
    And it shall come to pass afterward that I will pour out My Spirit on all flesh;
    your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams,
    your young men shall see visions. And also on My menservants and on My maidservants
    I will pour out My Spirit in those days

Peter identifies the time of the commencement of this on the Day of Pentecost after Jesus’ ascension (Acts 2:16). While Joel mentions only prophecy, dreams, and visions the inference of the “pouring out of the Spirit” in light of New Testament suggests that this involved other gifts as well, such as tongues, healings, etc. Yet, this is not the only Old Testament reference to miraculous spiritual gifts in the age of Christ.
  • Zechariah 13:1-6 promises:
    quote:
    “In that day a fountain shall be opened for the house of David and for the inhabitants of Jerusalem, for sin and for uncleanness. It shall be in that day," says the LORD of hosts, "that I will cut off the names of the idols from the land, and they shall no longer be remembered. I will also cause the prophets and the unclean spirit to depart from the land. It shall come to pass that if anyone still prophesies, then his father and mother who begot him will say to him, 'You shall not live, because you have spoken lies in the name of the LORD.' And his father and mother who begot him shall thrust him through when he prophesies. And it shall be in that day that every prophet will be ashamed of his vision when he prophesies; they will not wear a robe of coarse hair to deceive. But he will say, 'I am no prophet, I am a farmer; for a man taught me to keep cattle from my youth.' 6 "And one will say to him, 'What are these wounds between your arms?' Then he will answer, 'Those with which I was wounded in the house of my friends.'”
    The time of this prophecy’s fulfillment is identified as when a “fountain” is opened for David’s house and Jerusalem, “for sin and uncleanness.” The only fountain that has flowed from Jerusalem for “sin” is the “living water” (cf. Zechariah 14:8 & John 4:10-11) that has flowed forth through the Gospel, which was first preached from Jerusalem. While much of this passage does focus on the “cutting off” of the false prophet—it nonetheless speaks of a time when “the prophets” and the “unclean spirit” will depart from the land. While the New Testament does not explicitly identify when this prophecy was fulfilled I Corinthians 13:10 may give indication of when this time would be. [Note: We shall return to I Corinthians 13:10 below).
At the very least the prophetic evidence shows that during the period of the New Covenant there will be not only a period of the outpouring of miraculous spiritual gifts but also a time in which at least the gift of prophecy will cease. The fact that Joel uses prophecy, dreams, and visions to refer to all miraculous spiritual gifts, may infer that Zechariah uses reference to the prophet and evil spirit in the same way in reference to miraculous spiritual gifts collectively.

VI. Evidence from First Corinthians
The apostle Paul devotes three chapters in his first letter to the Corinthians to the issue of spiritual gifts. He begins in 12:1 with the words, “Now concerning spiritual gifts brethren, I do not want you to be ignorant.” He then proceeds to address issues primarily relating to tongues and prophecy in the assembly until the summary of 14:40: “Let all things be done decently and in order.” In the midst of this he offers the beautiful chapter which teaches us the true nature of love, in 13:1-8a. After this he declares the following:
quote:
…But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away (I Corinthians 13:8-10).
Here the Holy Spirit declares plainly through the mouth of Paul that there will be a time in which “prophecies will fail”—“tongues will cease” and “knowledge will vanish away.” The time when this will occur is identified. These gifts mentioned, of prophecy, tongues and (by inference) revealed knowledge are described as things which are only “in part.” This is an important declaration. In spite of the views of modern charismatics these gifts were never to represent the fullness of God’s interaction with man. They were not an end unto themselves, but were something “in part.” Paul tells us that these things will end, “when that which is perfect has come.” There are four ways this is usually explained:

1. The return of Christ. If this idea were correct it would be reasonable to expect the text to say—“when He who is perfect has come.” In the Greek the word translated “perfect” is a neuter adjective. This is why it is translated “that which,” rather than “He who.”

2. The state of the saved in heaven. Many lean toward this view largely due to verse twelve—“Then I shall know just as I also am known.” The problem with this is the declaration of verse 8 that knowledge will “vanish away.” In what sense will knowledge vanish away in heaven? If it is common knowledge surely it isn’t suggesting that we will lose our ability to reason. If it is miraculous knowledge, won’t heaven be the ultimate revelation of the mind of God? We’ll go back to verse twelve again a bit later.

3. A mature church. This idea would harmonize well with Ephesians 4:11-16 which speaks of different gifts being given – “till we all come to the unity of the faith and the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ” (vs. 13). However, one would have to concede that such occurred in the first century. Jude speaks of the faith—“Which was once for all delivered to the saints” (vs. 3) and Peter claims of God that—“His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness” (II Peter 1:3). Further, the context of First Corinthians thirteen doesn’t seem to concern the incomplete (or immature) nature of the church, but rather the incomplete nature of revelation. All of this leads me to favor a fourth explanation...

4. Complete revelation. The Greek word translated “perfect” is the word telion meaning—“brought to its end, finished; wanting nothing necessary to completeness; perfect” (Thayer, pg. 618). The context of Paul’s teaching concerns partial revelation. The early church had been given miraculous spiritual gifts to confirm their message (Mark 16:20) and to complete God’s revelation to man (John 16:13 & 14:26). This partial nature of God’s revelation was fully accomplished by the time late New Testament writers composed their works (Jude 3 & II Peter 1:3). This revelation is preserved for us in the form of the written words of New Testament Scripture. It is this message which James calls the “perfect law of liberty” (James 1:25). Thus it is reasonable, Scriptural, and contextual to conclude that “that which is perfect” is the full and complete revelation of New Testament Scripture, which has now come. This tells us, as a result “that which is in part” (i.e. miraculous spiritual gifts) are “done away.”

We should note an interesting element in Paul’s words in I Corinthians 13:12. The text reads:
quote:
For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.
If we had this verse alone with no other context of Paul’s meaning here, we might conclude that heaven will be the only time in which the Christian will behold the Lord “face to face.” However, there is a very significant history behind this phrase. Five times in the Law of Moses, it is used of the relationship between God, Moses and Israel. Exodus 33:11 says, “the LORD spoke to Moses face to face.” In Numbers 12:8 God says of Moses, “I will speak with him face to face.” Then in Numbers 14:14, the Holy Spirit tells us, “You, LORD, are among these people; …You, LORD, are seen face to face.” In the same way Moses tells the people, “The LORD talked with you face to face on the mountain from the midst of the fire” (Deuteronomy 5:4). And finally, Deuteronomy ends, saying of Moses, “But since then there has not arisen in Israel a prophet like Moses, whom the LORD knew face to face” (Deuteronomy 34:10). It is evident that none of these statements suggest that Moses (or Israel collectively) saw the full glory of the face of God. John tells us, “no one has seen God at any time” (John 1:18; I John 4:12). Nor is it saying that Moses and Israel were in the presence of God in heaven. Rather, it is describing a fullness, and complete measure of revelation which was unequalled at the time. God in giving the Law of Moses, of which the Psalmist said, “the Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul” (Psalm 19:7), established a relationship with Israel which was described as one that was “face to face.” Paul uses the same figure speaking of the time in which the New Covenant would be fully revealed as a time when “that which is perfect” would come—a time in which Christians, in their relationship with God (just like Moses and Israel) would see the will of God “face to face.”

VII. The Binding of Satan
One final factor which enters into this issue concerns the teaching of Revelation 20:1-4 concerning the binding of Satan. The text reads:
quote:
Then I saw an angel coming down from heaven, having the key to the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand. He laid hold of the dragon, that serpent of old, who is the Devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years; and he cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal on him, so that he should deceive the nations no more till the thousand years were finished. But after these things he must be released for a little while. And I saw thrones, and they sat on them, and judgment was committed to them. Then I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for their witness to Jesus and for the word of God, who had not worshiped the beast or his image, and had not received his mark on their foreheads or on their hands. And they lived and reigned with Christ for a thousand years.
This texts speaks of a time in which “Satan” is bound for a period of “one thousand years.” This period is identified as taking place when Christ “reigns.” The evidence of the New Testament is that the kingdom and reign of Christ began with His resurrection from the dead, conquering death. Prior to His ascension Jesus declared Himself to have “all authority” over a realm He says is “in heaven and on earth” (Matthew 28:18). Christians in the first century already considered themselves to be a part of His kingdom. Paul told the Colossians, “He has delivered us from the power of darkness and conveyed us into the kingdom of the Son of His love” (Colossian 1:13). John, in the Book of Revelation itself, identifies himself saying, “I John, both your brother and companion in the tribulation and kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ” (John 1:9). This makes it clear that Christ has reigned from the time of His ascension to the present. As such, the period of “one thousand years” must be understood to be a large period of time—but not a literal “one thousand years.” If this is the case, it indicates that during the time of Christ’s reign over His kingdom, the church, Satan is bound. In light of Zechariah 13:1-6 this appears to refer to a period of restricted demonic activity during the time of Christ’s reign. If this is correct, and the “evil spirit” is caused to pass from the land, the need for the power to “cast out evil spirits” would itself be eliminated. It is unclear what Revelation 20:3 indicates about the period in which Satan shall be “released for a little while.” If is does indicate a period of renewed demonic activity, there is no doubt that Christians would be given whatever is needed to overcome any such influence.

Conclusion
In light of this evidence I believe that it is proven from Scripture that the miraculous spiritual gifts bestowed upon the New Testament church came to an end when the means of distributing those gifts through the “laying on of the apostles’ hands” died with the apostles. It is clear from Scripture that these gifts were not intended to be permanent. Not all Christians were healed nor could heal. It is clear that these gifts were only to endure until the coming of “that which is perfect.” In the light of the context, miraculous spiritual gifts (which were “in part”) are contrasted with “that which is perfect (i.e. complete revelation). These gifts were not intended to confirm personal belief—many who might have believed were left to their own unbelief. They were however, to serve collectively as Divine confirmation of the validity of the message of the gospel. With the completion of the New Testament, the need for additional revelation of the gospel came to an end. With the validity of the gospel established, the need for such confirmation came to an end. Divine silence regarding additional revelation of Scripture since the completion of the New Testament provides further evidence that the special work of the Holy Spirit in miraculous spiritual gifts given to the New Testament church has ceased.

Thank you for taking the time to read this material. Please “test all things, hold fast what is good” (I Thessalonians 5:21). I appreciate your study and pray that God will be glorified by the efforts of good and honest hearts.

--------------------
Kyle Pope
kmpope@worldnet.att.net
http://kmpope.home.att.net
http://www.olsenpark.com

Posts: 70 | From: Amarillo, TX - USA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement