Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Bible Topics & Study   » Hannah (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Hannah
Pleasemaranatha
Advanced Member
Member # 5150

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Pleasemaranatha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear HisGrace, You do alot right and stick up for people, beliefs, and the children of Our Lord. That is why they pick on you. You aren't conforming to their group of grumblers. I wish I had your sense of humor and wit. Most of your posts bring a happy atmospher to the serious topics. Thanks also for always welcoming the new members to the website. Hang in there. ....
Many doors have closed in our lives and better times came through blessings from Our Lord. I loved your story that was posted.

God Bless

--------------------
My soul waiteth for the Lord more than they that watch for the morning. Psalms 130 verse 6

Joyce

Posts: 308 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:Originally posted by Caretaker:
It is not love to teach deception, to wrest scripture to substantiate a preconceived bias, or to lead others astray. Very subtle perversions of the Word lead to horrific error. Our Lord defeated Satan with the Words, "It is written", and then the specific/accurate quoting of scripture.
WOF/positive confession deceivers, leads to error and deception.

Why, when HisGrace posts something, do the defences go up immediately with a handful on this Board, and I am immediately pegged as listening to nothing but WOF'ers, which is not true, so it must be in total error.

Have you closed your minds to what this scripture says just because it came from me? Have you not learned anything from this scripture which has been opened up to you? Stop burying your head in the sand. I was quoting from the Bible and not from -www.thedailyragsheet.com, which most people seem to prefer to turn to.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It is not love to teach deception, to wrest scripture to substantiate a preconceived bias, or to lead others astray. Very subtle perversions of the Word lead to horrific error. Our Lord defeated Satan with the Words, "It is written", and then the specific/accurate quoting of scripture.

Exegesis will reveal the eternal truths.

Eisegesis such as is employed by the WOF/positive confession deceivers, leads to error and deception.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Caretaker:
WOF/positive confession deceivers, leads to error and deception.

Why, when HisGrace posts something, do the defences go up immediately with a handful on this Board, and I am immediately pegged as listening to nothing but WOF'ers, which is not true, so it must be in total error.

Have you closed your minds to what this scripture says just because it came from me? Have you not learned anything from this scripture which has been opened up to you? Stop burying your head in the sand. I was quoting from the Bible and not from -www.thedailyragsheet.com, which most people seem to prefer to turn to.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This isn't being very realistic. We are all in this world to help each other. I took this scripture in 1 Sam. and tested it, and it lined up with what this woman had to offer. She opened the door to further insight and it helped me tremendously.

--------------------+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

First and foremost we are to love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, soul, and mind.

Second to love your neighbor as you would yourself.

Exegesis will reveal the eternal truths.

Eisegesis such as is employed by the WOF/positive confession deceivers, leads to error and deception.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Caretaker:
One will not find much true teaching on television, and especially not in the mouths of those who teach positive confession and Word of Faith. They wrest the scriptures out of their proper context, and extrapolate their bias onto selected proof-texts.

This isn't being very realistic. We are all in this world to help each other. I took this scripture in 1 Sam. and tested it, and it lined up with what this woman had to offer. She opened the door to further insight and it helped me tremendously.
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One will not find much true teaching on television, and especially not in the mouths of those who teach positive confession and Word of Faith. They wrest the scriptures out of their proper context, and extrapolate their bias onto selected proof-texts.

One should study the Word as a Berean, searching the scriptures whether this be true.

Acts 17:
10: And the brethren immediately sent away Paul and Silas by night unto Berea: who coming thither went into the synagogue of the Jews.
11: These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.
12: Therefore many of them believed; also of honourable women which were Greeks, and of men, not a few.

Main Entry: ex·e·ge·sis
Pronunciation: "ek-s&-'jE-s&s, 'ek-s&-"
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural ex·e·ge·ses /-'jE-(")sEz/
Etymology: New Latin, from Greek exEgEsis, from exEgeisthai to explain, interpret, from ex- + hEgeisthai to lead -- more at SEEK
: EXPOSITION, EXPLANATION; especially : an explanation or critical interpretation of a text

Main Entry: eis·ege·sis
Pronunciation: "I-s&-'jE-s&s, 'I-s&-"
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural eis·ege·ses /-"sEz/
Etymology: Greek eis into (akin to Greek en in) + English exegesis -- more at IN
: the interpretation of a text (as of the Bible) by reading into it one's own ideas -- compare EXEGESIS

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++

http://www.spirithome.com/scrip2.html

Effective : The Bible succeeds in doing what it is created to do. Through the Spirit's work, it shows God, God's vision, God's purposes, and God's good news to us. Our collective openness to the Bible seems to be shrinking, but the Spirit is still using it to pry us open to God. A related word with much the same meaning is efficacious.

Eisegesis : This is what's being done when someone interprets Scripture according to notions that were born outside of Scripture. It's when we read stuff into Scripture. (For instance, the idea of the United States as a "Christian Nation" is the creation of egos who gloat over being powerful. It has no basis in history or fact, but more important, it has no basis in the Bible. Yet some leading politicians and pastors interpret the Bible through this notion.)

To some extent, eisegesis is unavoidable : we don't come to the Bible with a blank slate, a lot of living and learning went into each of us. If we really bring our whole selves to the study of Scripture, all that stuff in us will and should have an impact on how we learn from Scripture. Here's where prayerful obedience and discipline come in, for the Spirit rewards hard work and harder prayer. The hard work uncovers what Scripture is telling us, and the obedience sets aside the ideas we cherish so that we may take on Scripture's vision. The same living and learning that would have made us do an eisegesis of the text instead becomes the crucial data for re-visioning our lives and thoughts (hermeneutics) in the light of what the Spirit reveals in Scripture (exegesis).

Exegesis : In its simplest meaning, it means finding out what the Spirit originally said in the passage of Scripture through its author. It's what comes out of Scripture, as against what gets read into it. (Of course, the ways we use to find out from Scripture are often merely ways to put something into it 'between the lines'. That's really eisegesis in a Halloween costume.) In a more theological setting, exegesis means what comes from the use of certain methods of studying the Bible. Just about every imaginable method already has a name, but the main ones are :

* historical (using the style, form, word choices, editing work, historical context, main themes, and so on, to find what it meant back when it was written or when it happened),
* canonical (treating Scripture as an whole document designed to be what a specific community lives by),
* symbolic/allegorical (figuring out what each character and event represents),
* rational (thinking it through using logic and deductive technique).

Most Bible students use most of the methods in their own way at some time, even if they don't think they do. All of them are often helpful, sometimes not at all helpful, and occasionally downright deceptive. It's best to see all methods as tools for the Bible student to use prayerfully, rather than as rules to follow or conclusions ('scholarly consensus') that one must accept. There are many angles and facets to most passages of Scripture, and the different methods help you get at them.

If you aren't doing some kind of exegesis, you are not finding out what the writings themselves are saying. But what good is knowing eternal truth if it doesn't matter to you? Thus, exegesis is just one important step in studying the Bible; there also needs to be hermeneutics (see below).

"Exegesis...is an act of love. It means loving the one who speaks the words enough to want to get the words right. It is respecting the words enough to use every means we have to get the words right. Exegesis is loving God enough to stop and listen carefully." -- Eugene Peterson, in *Theology Today*, April 1999, p.10

Essential : the one source you cannot do the task without. Because there are no other reliable sources to tell us about Jesus, His ministry, and the start of the Christian church, the New Testament is to be seen as the essential record. The Old Testament is essential, too, since Jesus came in fulfillment of it.

Gospel, the : The core message of the Bible, that God so loved the world that He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. There are many other things in the Bible, great and wonderful, but they all exist to create and further this reconciliation with God, by God's grace through faith.

hermeneutics is about the ways you discover meaning in the Bible for your life and your era, faithfully taking the original intent into today's world. Scripture is not meant to be a lazy read; when you read it, you use ways to figure out what it means and how to live it. There's a science and art to that : hermeneutics. Hermeneutics is a kind of discernment process.

There's a lot of talk nowadays about "hermeneutic distance", namely, the fact that as times change, so does the setting for Scripture's messages. Our era is not the same as Jesus', or even your father's. It's a hot topic now because so much is changing so fast. Churches make too little of this, as if unchangingness is what counts, when in fact change counts, and no learning or growth happens without change. Non-believers and 'liberal-church' believers make too much of it, as if the more things change the less they stay the same, when in fact most of the core things of life change little and mostly in form rather than substance, and each era develops its own set of likenesses to the era of Jesus.

perspicuous. (From the Latin, per- (through) + specere (to look, view); related to Eng. "perspective".) Clearly and directly communicated or presented; lucid. When used about the Bible, it means that it doesn't take any specialized training to get what the Bible (or most any part of it) is trying to tell you. This is not a license to be ignorant. You are still called on to take the time and effort to work it through, but there's no required method for that. True, there are some mysteries, but these confound even the wisest. The unschooled and the retarded have often shown a solid grasp of the main thrusts of Scripture. That's because the Spirit wants us to know such things. The Spirit is the one who reveals it to us, and the Spirit can work through an awareness, a happening, a life experience, a method of study, or anything else to make clear to us what is being revealed through Scripture. Idiots and geniuses alike can be fools and jerks about Scriptural matters, but they and everyone in between have what it takes to grasp the message. Another term for this is clarity.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++

It is critical to study the Word with exegesis, to allow the Holy Spirit to reveal the true and contextual meaning of each passage of scripture. To receive the interpretation of the Word FROM the Word and not from we ourselves.

Each passage of scripture must be interpreted from the context of the verse, the chapter, the Book, and from the entirity of the Word, and there must never be a conflict in the interpretation with the entirity of the Word.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:

Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

1 Samuel 1:
1: Now there was a certain man of Ramathaim-zophim, of mount Ephraim, and his name was Elkanah, the son of Jeroham, the son of Elihu, the son of Tohu, the son of Zuph, an Ephrathite:
2: And he had two wives; the name of the one was Hannah, and the name of the other Peninnah: and Peninnah had children, but Hannah had no children.
3: And this man went up out of his city yearly to worship and to sacrifice unto the LORD of hosts in Shiloh. And the two sons of Eli, Hophni and Phinehas, the priests of the LORD, were there.
4: And when the time was that Elkanah offered, he gave to Peninnah his wife, and to all her sons and her daughters, portions:
5: But unto Hannah he gave a worthy portion; for he loved Hannah: but the LORD had shut up her womb.
6: And her adversary also provoked her sore, for to make her fret, because the LORD had shut up her womb.
7: And as he did so year by year, when she went up to the house of the LORD, so she provoked her; therefore she wept, and did not eat.
8: Then said Elkanah her husband to her, Hannah, why weepest thou? and why eatest thou not? and why is thy heart grieved? am not I better to thee than ten sons?
9: So Hannah rose up after they had eaten in Shiloh, and after they had drunk. Now Eli the priest sat upon a seat by a post of the temple of the LORD.
10: And she was in bitterness of soul, and prayed unto the LORD, and wept sore.
11: And she vowed a vow, and said, O LORD of hosts, if thou wilt indeed look on the affliction of thine handmaid, and remember me, and not forget thine handmaid, but wilt give unto thine handmaid a man child, then I will give him unto the LORD all the days of his life, and there shall no rasor come upon his head.
12: And it came to pass, as she continued praying before the LORD, that Eli marked her mouth.
13: Now Hannah, she spake in her heart; only her lips moved, but her voice was not heard: therefore Eli thought she had been drunken.
14: And Eli said unto her, How long wilt thou be drunken? put away thy wine from thee.
15: And Hannah answered and said, No, my lord, I am a woman of a sorrowful spirit: I have drunk neither wine nor strong drink, but have poured out my soul before the LORD.
16: Count not thine handmaid for a daughter of Belial: for out of the abundance of my complaint and grief have I spoken hitherto.
17: Then Eli answered and said, Go in peace: and the God of Israel grant thee thy petition that thou hast asked of him.
18: And she said, Let thine handmaid find grace in thy sight. So the woman went her way, and did eat, and her countenance was no more sad.
19: And they rose up in the morning early, and worshipped before the LORD, and returned, and came to their house to Ramah: and Elkanah knew Hannah his wife; and the LORD remembered her.
20: Wherefore it came to pass, when the time was come about after Hannah had conceived, that she bare a son, and called his name Samuel, saying, Because I have asked him of the LORD.
21: And the man Elkanah, and all his house, went up to offer unto the LORD the yearly sacrifice, and his vow.
22: But Hannah went not up; for she said unto her husband, I will not go up until the child be weaned, and then I will bring him, that he may appear before the LORD, and there abide for ever.
23: And Elkanah her husband said unto her, Do what seemeth thee good; tarry until thou have weaned him; only the LORD establish his word. So the woman abode, and gave her son **** until she weaned him.
24: And when she had weaned him, she took him up with her, with three bullocks, and one ephah of flour, and a bottle of wine, and brought him unto the house of the LORD in Shiloh: and the child was young.
25: And they slew a bullock, and brought the child to Eli.
26: And she said, Oh my lord, as thy soul liveth, my lord, I am the woman that stood by thee here, praying unto the LORD.
27: For this child I prayed; and the LORD hath given me my petition which I asked of him:
28: Therefore also I have lent him to the LORD; as long as he liveth he shall be lent to the LORD. And he worshipped the LORD there.

JFB Commentary:

1 Samuel 1:1-8. OF ELKANAH AND HIS TWO WIVES.

1, 2. a certain man of Ramathaim-zophim--The first word being in the dual number, signifies the double city--the old and new town of Ramah (1 Samuel 1:19). There were five cities of this name, all on high ground. This city had the addition of Zophim attached to it, because it was founded by Zuph, "an Ephrathite," that is a native of Ephratha. Beth-lehem, and the expression "of Ramathaim-zophim" must, therefore, be understood as Ramah in the land of Zuph in the hill country of Ephratha. Others, considering "mount Ephraim" as pointing to the locality in Joseph's territory, regard "Zophim" not as a proper but a common noun, signifying watchtowers, or watchmen, with reference either to the height of its situation, or its being the residence of prophets who were watchmen (Ezekiel 3:17). Though a native of Ephratha or Beth-lehem-judah, Elkanah was a Levite (1 Chronicles 6:33,34). Though of this order, and a good man, he practised polygamy. This was contrary to the original law, but it seems to have been prevalent among the Hebrews in those days, when there was no king in Israel, and every man did what seemed right in his own eyes [Judges 21:25].

3. this man went up out of his city yearly to worship in Shiloh--In that place was the "earth's one sanctuary," and thither he repaired at the three solemn feasts, accompanied by his family at one of them--probably the passover. Although a Levite, he could not personally offer a sacrifice--that was exclusively the office of the priests; and his piety in maintaining a regular attendance on the divine ordinances is the more worthy of notice because the character of the two priests who administered them was notoriously bad. But doubtless he believed, and acted on the belief, that the ordinances were "effectual means of salvation, not from any virtue in them, or in those who administered them, but from the grace of God being communicated through them."

4. when . . . Elkanah offered, he gave to Peninnah . . . portions--The offerer received back the greater part of the peace offerings, which he and his family or friends were accustomed to eat at a social feast Elkanah gave portions to all the members of his family; but "unto Hannah he gave a worthy portion"; that is, a larger choice, according to the Eastern fashion of showing regard to beloved or distinguished

6. her adversary also provoked her sore--The conduct of Peninnah was most unbecoming. But domestic broils in the houses of polygamists are of frequent occurrence, and the most fruitful cause of them has always been jealousy of the husband's superior affection, as in this case of Hannah.

1 Samuel 1:9-18. HANNAH'S PRAYER.

11. she prayed . . . she vowed a vow--Here is a specimen of the intense desire that reigned in the bosoms of the Hebrew women for children. This was the burden of Hannah's prayer; and the strong preference she expressed for a male child originated in her purpose of dedicating him to the tabernacle service. The circumstance of his birth bound him to this; but his residence within the precincts of the sanctuary would have to commence at an earlier age than usual, in consequence of the Nazarite vow.

12-18. Eli marked her mouth--The suspicion of the aged priest seems to indicate that the vice of intemperance was neither uncommon nor confined to one sex in those times of disorder. This mistaken impression was immediately removed, and, in the words, "God grant," or rather, "will grant," was followed by an invocation which, as Hannah regarded it in the light of a prophecy pointing to the accomplishment of her earnest desire, dispelled her sadness, and filled her with confident hope (1 Samuel 1:18). The character and services of the expected child were sufficiently important to make his birth a fit subject for prophecy.

1 Samuel 1:20. SAMUEL BORN.

20. called his name Samuel--doubtless with her husband's consent. The names of children were given sometimes by the fathers, and sometimes by the mothers (see Genesis 4:1,26, 5:29, 19:37, 21:3); and among the early Hebrews, they were commonly compound names, one part including the name of God.

21. the man Elkanah . . . went up to offer . . . his vow--The solemn expression of his concurrence in Hannah's vow was necessary to make it

22. But Hannah went not up--Men only were obliged to attend the solemn feasts (Exodus 23:17). But Hannah, like other pious women, was in the habit of going, only she deemed it more prudent and becoming to defer her next journey till her son's age would enable her to fulfill her vow.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

One should note that Hannah made the Nazarite vow for her son. Two other notables under the Nazarite vow were Samson and John the Baptist.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:

HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes I think the devil tries to keep us from Christian TV, because he knows that there is much rich Biblical truth to be gleaned from many of these programmes.

There is a great Canadian Christian programme, with some terrific guests, which airs in the morning and then is re-broadcasted twice at night. I was having a hard time sleeping last night, and switched it on in the middle of the night and it blessed the socks off of me.

There was a preacher's wife on this programme who drew our attention to the story of Hannah.

Elkanah had two wives, Penimah and Hannah. Penimah had children but Hannah didn't have any.

Every year the townsfolk would go to worship at Shiloh. While there Elkanah would make sacrifices to God.

1 Samuel1: 4 -5 Whenever the day came for Elkanah to sacrifice, he would give portions of the meat to his wife Peninnah and to all her sons and daughters. But to Hannah he gave a double portion because he loved her, and the LORD had closed her womb.

~Because the Lord closed her womb, the other wife provoked her in order to irritate Hannah, until Hannah collapsed into tears and couldn't even eat anymore.

This went on year after year until Hannah said "Enough is enough." On one of their visits to Shiloh, she poured out her soul to God and decided not to be a victim anymore.

Eli a priest in Shiloh observed her praying and blessed her by saying in I Samuel 1,17 "Go in peace, and may the God of Israel grant you what you have asked of him."

Vrs.18 - She said, "May your servant find favor in your eyes." Then she went her way and ate something, and her face was no longer downcast.

~Notice in the story that even though the Lord closed Hannah's womb, that didn't mean that her prayers were never answered.

Just because God closes doors in our life, that doesn't mean that what we desire is not going to happen. We have to really get tough with the devil in defeating his craftiness, even through a broken spirit sometimes, so that we are purified enough to realize that our answers only come through God's power and He alone should receive the glory.

Hannah finally was able to conceive and gave birth to Samuel. She later took the boy back to Eli to be dedicated -

1 Samuel1:25-28 When they had slaughtered the bull, they brought the boy to Eli, 26 and she said to him, "As surely as you live, my lord, I am the woman who stood here beside you praying to the LORD.

I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him. So now I give him to the LORD. For his whole life he will be given over to the LORD." And he worshiped the LORD there.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement