Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » The Christian News   » Terri Schiavo (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Terri Schiavo
LaurieFL
Advanced Member
Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaurieFL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All excellent verses, and I am not sure at all how you think they apply here [Smile] I think we all are angry over a cruelty done to a helpless woman and are praying not only for her family but also in love for her husband, who is certainly not my enemy nor is he yours unless you are involved in all this somehow.

The fact that Jesus and Stephen prayed for their persecutors is a marvelous example and one that we should all follow. I pray for God's mercy on Michael Schiavo, but I do know that my Bible tells me that if he does not repent, he shall not receive forgiveness.

Posts: 700 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gramajo320
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In order for anyone to have forgiveness and mercy they must first repent of all sins, ask for mercy and forgiveness of their sins, accept Jesus Christ into their hearts and then follow Jesus Christ.

The people outside the hospice were objecting to Terri being deprived of liquids and nutrition. That is not being misdirected. That is showing love, compassion, and empathy! Jesus Christ would not want anyone being deprived that way.

Anyway we need to continue to pray for Terri's family and others.

In Christ's love,
Gramajo320

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaurieFL
Advanced Member
Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaurieFL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is absolutely nothing wrong with being angry about such a horrible thing happening. The Bible says to be angry and do not sin. It is not wrong to be angry with just cause. This thing that happened was horrifying.

I totally agree that there is a huge difference between removing a respirator so that a person would die in moments because they cannot even breathe on their own and causing someonet o die from dehydration and starvation, one of the most painful ways to die documented apparently. The Bible says if it is within our power to do someone good, we should not withhold it. Letting a person's lips and tongue crack and bleed due to no water seems like withholding good to me.

I too pray for her husband, but I pray that he repents of his sin. He wished his wife dead and fought for her death which I am pretty sure equates to murder in the eyes of God. God is merciful and forgives, but only where there is true repentance. Otherwise, He is a righteous and wrathful God, and a price must be paid for sins if the price Christ paid is not accepted.

Posts: 700 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gramajo320
unregistered

I too believe that Terri is very thankful to be home with the Lord, to be at rest, to be at peace, and to be free of her body that wouldn't allow her freedom of movement and to be able to talk.

I also hope and pray that I'll never have anything happen to me that would cause me to be a burden upon my wonderful family because I hope and pray to be able to stay strong enough to take care of myself clear up til the minute the Lord takes me home. I've always tried very hard to be and to stay as independent as possible. So far the Lord has answered my prayers to remain independent. I would not want to be on machines unless there was a very good chance that I would indeed recover. I would not want to be deprived of at least having liquids. So far as cremation I do not object to that because it is much less expensive. The cost of a funeral is so terribly expensive.

Michael Schiavo filed a malpractice suit for wrongful diagnosis after Terri had her heart attack. He was awarded $700,000. $300,000 was for Michael and the rest went into trust for Terri's care. Terri was also awarded $250,000. The reports say there is only $50,000 left of the money for Terri. Terri's parents have asked Michael all along to let them be guardians of Terri and to take care of her for the rest of her life but he has steadfastly refused to do so even though he had a new interest - he has lived with his girlfriend for several years and they have two children. Outside the hospice one gentleman offered Michael $1,000,000.00 to let Terri live by allowing her to have liquids and nutrition, some others offered him thousands of dollars to let Terri live by allowing Terri to have liquids and nutrition. He refused all offers. He didn't even want her to have communion but at 3:00 p.m. on Sunday the priest finally had Michael's permission to give her just one tiny drop of the grape juice on her tongue. She couldn't have even a crumb of the wafer because her tongue was too dry. I think everyone's objections are about the lack of liquids and nutrition. It's all really a sad situation but thankfully now she's with the Lord. We need to continue to pray for her family.

The autopsy will end up telling the truth of whether or not she was actually in a complete vegetative state or not. A Dr. from Mayo Clinic stated that Terri was not in a total vegetative state and that she could understand what was going on around her. Anyway at least we know Terri safely home with the Lord and she is in complete peace!

I want to add that I'm very much against euthanasia and mercy killings - it is so wrong.

In Christ's love,
Gramajo320

Ripp
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a differnce in removing breathing tubes where the patient will die in minutes vs. starving them to death over two weeks. I find it sickening.
Favor Minded
unregistered

Linda -

I agree with you - Completely actually.

But I have to ask the questions because this is such a complicated subject.

I wish there were clear cut answers.

helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jim I understand that feeling. I have shared that feeling. I asked the same thing of Drew in another thread when he called this murder. I do believe this was murder because even 50 years ago or 100 years ago, here in the wild west where we are, someone would have tried to hydrate and nourish Terri with an eyedropper if she could swallow her own saliva and she could by the way. We would have left it in God's hands that our efforts would have been sufficient; but Terri was deprived of basic things necessary to sustain life. If I took you a healthy man and denied you food and hydration for an indefinite period of time you would die.

Jim they would not even allow water to moisten her dry bleeding lips.

Terri Schiavo was murdered by a husband who could have cared less about her and a court system that sanctioned his actions.

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Favor Minded
unregistered

Even 50 years ago, she and anyone else with similar problems would have died.

Only "modern medicine" has kept her alive.

Please help me understand how her blood will be on her husbands hands?

For the last 6000 years no such problems would have existed, as the person would simply die and go to be with the Lord -

In this case, through what some would deem a "miracle" better known as a tube, she was prevented from going to be with the Lord for 15 years.

Now, please understand that I am not an advocate of euthanasia or mercy killing, etc - Although we know well for 5800 years mercy killing was a part of life, right up until medicine became "modernized" -

But what kind of life is it that lives 15 years immovable in a bed, with no way to communicate, no way to interact?

If she were in a third world country (Some of us would do well to KNOW what really goes on there) she would have died 15 years ago, and been allowed to be with the Lord then...

If she did not live in a modernized country she would not have survived.

I do not believe modern medicine and modern science were gifts from God simply to cheat death -

The resurrection is defeat of death - Resurrection cannot happen until physical death occurs or the Lord returns -

What should they have done? Just kept her a vegetable til Jesus comes back?

Am I to understand that all of you would prefer to be a vegetable, kept alive until who knows when, causing all of your family and friends to lose everything they own to pay for your modernized tube? - When you should have died?

Who is cheating death? Is it of God?

I, for one, would pray that I never became such a burden to anyone and that the Lord would take me and not allow the "miracle" of modern science and medicine to destroy my family and friends financially - The "miracle" of modern medicine is VERY expensive...

I understand the implications and precedent it would set if laws allowed people to make decisions to mercy kill - We do not want this nor do I advocate it, however,

I believe she is thankful that now, FINALLY, she is able to rest - Able to be with the Lord - Absent from the prison that was her body...

WhiteEagle
Advanced Member
Member # 3728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhiteEagle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramajo320:
Terri Schiavo's siblings were with Terri at her bedside up to and within ten minutes of her passing at which time they were asked to leave. Michael was the only one with her at the time of her actual passing at 9:05 a.m.

We need to continue to pray for her family.

In Christ's love,
Gramajo320

I find it very suspicious that when Micheal shows up to "spend time" with Terri, she died.

God have mercy on us all. I'm sorry to be so suspicious of him, but that's my gut feeling.

Posts: 1392 | From: Maine | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gramajo320
unregistered

Terri Schiavo's siblings were with Terri at her bedside up to and within ten minutes of her passing at which time they were asked to leave. Michael was the only one with her at the time of her actual passing at 9:05 a.m.

We need to continue to pray for her family.

In Christ's love,
Gramajo320

LaurieFL
Advanced Member
Member # 3794

I don't think God gives a fig how our flesh is handled after it is dead, as long as we don't allow disease to propagate. We observe Jewish customs of burial recorded in the Bible but that is not in any way a recommendation or law or even indication of God's support or approval of the method, in my opinion.

Now to the important bit of news. Terry is dead. Her parents and family were denied access to her in her last hours of life. How sad for them [Frown]

I believe that the Lord was with her in her last days and provided her with comfort. I also believe that her death and suffering will be bloodstains on the hands of her husband, who will be dealt with harshly by God unless he repents of his sin.

yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yahsway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, maybe this will help. I got this from a book called fossilized customs by Lew White.

"It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out, but people wear black today to funerals because the pagans often burned their dead on raised platforms. The smoke and ashes soiled their garments, so ashes became a symbol of mourning. The dead were burned because pagans believed that burying them would "defile" the Earth. Fire, water, winds, and the earth were sacrad to the pagans." pg 15.

I guess its kinda the same anaolgy why brides wear white at a wedding symbolizing purity.

Lew also states that in "Zoroastrian rituals, the priests were referred to as the "dark ones" because their robes were soiled too easily with the soot and ashes of keeping the sacrad fires going. These fires were used to sacrafice human lives."

"The Zoroastrian monks also wore red ceremonial robes symbolyic of the fire and sun.Israel had no one dressed in black or red, - the priest wore white linen."

So again, I must say that it is just our traditions handed down thru the ages. In am of the personal opinon that when one has passed on, it doesnt matter whether they are cremated or buried seeing that their spirit has gone on, hopefully to be with Yeshua.

Posts: 1238 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redkermit
Advanced Member
Member # 4059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for redkermit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bat Elohim:
can someone start another thread and explain WHY cremation is unscriptural? cause i plan on being cremated.

http://thechristianbbs.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=003105

--------------------
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked. (Ps. 84:10b)

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

Listen Online:
www.wmuz.com
www.997flr.org

Posts: 604 | From: Michigan | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bat Elohim
Advanced Member
Member # 3739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bat Elohim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
can someone start another thread and explain WHY cremation is unscriptural? cause i plan on being cremated.

--------------------
Numbers 6:24 May ADONAI bless you and keep you. 25 May ADONAI make his face shine on you and show you his favor. 26 May ADONAI lift up his face toward you and give you peace.

Posts: 704 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gramajo320
unregistered

Saintbygrace,

You have your opinion to which you're entitled. I have my opinion to which I'm entitled.
Those people who are standing out there praying are doing so holding their bibles and some are also holding signs as they pray for Terri. They are doing what Jesus Christ would do also. What is happening to her is absolutely deplorable and criminal - the withholding of liquid and food and any one with compassion, love, and empathy is praying for her and her family.

We will continue to pray for her and her family and will also pray that she'll have a christian burial. From what little bit I've read so far cremation is NOT scriptural.

In Christ's love,
Gramajo320

helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep we can all read fine:

quote:
I have problem with the people standing out there praying.
The above quote was copied and pasted from your thread.

I think that the scripture clearly speaks to burial of a body in a tomb or grave; God himself buried Moses. Cremations are seen in the scripture and they are seen as dishonor,and or judgment.

Sometimes cremation cannot be avoided. It is not the best choice but it is sometimes a necessity. My mom recently died in Florida. She was alone in her apartment. It was a few days before her body was found and it was even longer before I could get there. The coroner told me that cremation was the very best thing that could be done. This was very very hard for me; it is still hard for me; it was not what my mother wanted nor what I would have wanted. At least we do have the option to bury the cremains today. I do not believe this was the practice historically.

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gramajo320
unregistered

Saintbygrace,

You need to go back and read your own posting where you said "I have problem with people standing out there praying." Those are your own words!

I highly object to your rudeness! I can read quite well thank you!

A christian burial is quite appropriate for Terri and if she could speak she would say it herself.
Regarding your question about cremation I do not know if it's scriptural or not.

Now please refrain from your arguing and being so rude!

In Christ's love,
Gramajo320

Gramajo320
unregistered

Every single newscast I have seen has shown a very peaceful group of people holding their bibles and praying quietly for Terri. They hold their signs quietly wanting ever so much for Terri's life to be saved. It is not christian to withhold liquid and food from Terri for she is a human being and she deserves humane loving care just the same as any one else would deserve to have.

I have to wonder why would one person object to people praying for Terri outside the hospice. I would have to wonder if the one person has any love, compassion or empathy in their heart at all and I further wonder how one person can even think that Jesus Christ is not in it for He most certainly is! I have to wonder why one person has to argue over every single thing in a thread!

Terri deserves a christian burial! We are all praying for her and her family and we will continue to do so!

In Christ's love,
Gramajo320

Gramajo320
unregistered

HelpForHomeSchoolers and Ripp,

Amen to your postings! Anyone who denies any animal food and water is arrested and put on trial for abuse and the animals are taken away and placed in an environment where they will have the best of care. How this can be happening to Terri in this united states is just totally beyond my comprehension. The courts know full well it is killing Terri and furthermore they don't even know the truth of what Terri would have wanted. They're not allowing her family to speak for her - they don't even listen to her family - they are only listening to Michael Schiavo without any written proof of any wishes that Terri may or may not have wanted.
Therefore there is no justice in those courts for Terri and I think it is criminal and barbaric how anyone can condone this being done to her!

I pray that Terri will at least get to have a christian burial rather than the cremation that Michael wants done to her!

We just need to keep praying for Terri and her family!

In Christ's love,
Gramajo320

helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

I agree Ripp; God has kept her alive these past 12 days, but the court and her husband are trying to kill her. You would be arrested if you denied even an animal water and food for 12 days.

I read that they will not even allow ice to moisten her bleeding dry lips. That is inhumane. I think someone in Florida should have the judge and the husband arrested for abuse and attempted murder.

Clearly, this woman is not dying from natural causes; she is dying from neglect and abuse that would not be legal to do to dog.

It is MURDER. We are watching the courts murder a woman with her family standing by unable to help.

Ripp
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a sad day. I have been praying for her and her family. [Bible]

I thought about something today. What do you guys think PETA would do if the court ruled it was ok to starve a dog to death? Hmm...

God bless. [Bible] [Cross] [Prayer]

Gramajo320
unregistered

It's quite natural for Terri Schiavo's parents to want to save their daughter's life. It's quite natural for all those who are there in front of the hospice to be praying for Terri for they have caring hearts and compassion for her and they would do the same for any other person who might be in the same position some day. Also those same caring people who are doing the praying do save souls. No this has not distracted the churches away from everything else but all of the people do care enough to pray for Terri in addition to their witnessing.

In Christ's love,
Gramajo320

Gramajo320
unregistered

The 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals has just rejected the appeal given to them to hold a hearing and to consider other facts. So once again the hopes of Terri Schiavo's parents have been taken away.
We must continue to pray for Terri and her family.

In Christ's love,
Gramajo 320

HisGrace
unregistered

With God - it's never too late!! This is great news. [dance]

We must continue to pray. [Prayer]

redkermit
Advanced Member
Member # 4059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for redkermit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While this is certainly good news, I read in the paper yesterday that it is probably too late to reverse the damage that has already been done even if the feeding tube is restored. Of course, with God, all things are possible. Let's continue to pray for Terri & her family.

--------------------
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked. (Ps. 84:10b)

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

Listen Online:
www.wmuz.com
www.997flr.org

Posts: 604 | From: Michigan | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gramajo320
unregistered

Terri Schiavo's parents have finally won an appeal. Their lawyer filed the appeal with the 11th US Circuit Court of Appeals for their case which is based on fact to be heard. The federal court has agreed to do so. This is a victory for Terri's parents and hopefully this court will order Terri's feeding tube re-inserted!

Everyone must continue to pray for Terri and her family and pray that justice will finally rule in favor of Terri!

In Christ's love,
Gramajo320

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement