Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Miscellaneous   » General Discussion   » Are We Giving Wisely?

Author Topic: Are We Giving Wisely?
Michael Z
Advanced Member
Member # 8389

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with you on the "cheerful giving". That is very important. And one should not feel that their offerings are in any way an "investment" offering some sort of privilege.

Just been convicted lately with what I read in scripture and what I had seen being done in a young runaway girls home in Moldovia (Stella's House).

I know missionaries traditionally will always make service and help to the poor a major part of what they do. So your point about church support of missionaries is a good one Betty.

Posts: 46 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your best bet is to stay aware of what your Church does with the money that is taken in. Our Church puts out a treasure report showing where ever dime goes. Our Church supports missions both in America and overseas. While we should keep an eye on what our Church does with the money the reality is that God will honor what is cheerfuly given to Him.
If we give money and the Church uses it wrongly, God will still bless us but hold those who do wrong personally.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Z
Advanced Member
Member # 8389

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recently, I have been wondering if all the money we give to support a church is the wisest way to give back to the Lord. What is a church? A place to fellowship. I guess if the church is reaching a lot of people with the Gospel, then great. But what if it is just "maintaining" its current members, more or less? Why not give to Christian based charities that not only share the word, but do so in a powerful way because they are feeding the poor or taking care of the orphans, sick, elderly, and widows. And have a home fellowship or a small fellowship that has a part time pastor that also has a vocation as opposed to a large church.

I know there are verses to support different opinions. 1 Tim 5:17 says The elders who direct the affairs of the church well are worthy of double honor, especially those whose work is preaching and teaching. 18 For Scripture says, “Do not muzzle an ox while it is treading out the grain,”[a] and “The worker deserves his wages.” But also, Paul worked to support himself while preaching.

This has been on my mind for a few days now. Not sure what the correct answer is.

Posts: 46 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement