Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Miscellaneous   » General Discussion   » Free will

Author Topic: Free will
GadZooks
Member # 6511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GadZooks         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just thinking about the profound nature of choice - free will. I was standing in the kitchen, and it struck me - what I chose to do next had an impact over the rest of my life. Perhaps not a profound transcendental reality shifting impact, but an impact all the same. I felt first compelled to call my mother, but I knew that I could not really discuss this with her. Immediately, I thought about calling a friend - Jason seemed right, but then I thought about Joel. Neither seemed like the right person to call, so I found myself drawn to at least write my fleeting thoughts down.

Life is a string of these moments. Moments where we choose what we do next. Sometimes the choices may seem fairly obvious, but regardless of how much effort we put into each moment, it has an impact on the string that follows.

It is interesting to contemplate the concept of God's omniscience along with the divine gift of free will. I have heard some muse that God knows the end result; it is our choice to fulfill his destiny or to allow others to do it for us. This explanation does not really satisfy me, but it does nicely describe how God works if God were indeed bound by the constructs of time. But God is beyond time and space, in fact, time and space all fit inside God. The interesting paradox is, God seems to also fit within each of us. That is what makes our choices matter. That is why free will is such a divine gift. God dwells in us, coaxing us to follow his string of decisions.

So if the difference between the greatest act and the smallest act is minuscule to God, one could either hypothesize that all decisions are equally important or that no decision is important at all. In a way, the two hypotheses are so close to being correct that they can be easily mistaken to being equal. But they are not. One way makes every moment precious and the other makes every moment worthless. God's call to us is to realize that every moment is precious. Our love, our faith, our hope - these are currency to God. God spends though the open channels. His love is like water, which flows through the path of least resistance, and is very malleable. God's love is like a flowing river. It will happily flow around any obstacle, but it will not flow where it is stopped, rather it will pool and flood, and find another way to its destination. The beauty is, when we remove the barriers, then God - valuing and forgiving open channels more rather than holding grudges - flows without question and without hesitation back through the path previous available.

I'm not really sure about how God's love really works, but I am confident about the fact that our free will is one of our most precious gifts. However, this confidence probably makes me blind to some other very important factors for me to see.

God takes his time. He's in no hurry; it's we who want to get where we're going faster than we're supposed to. I wonder if I made the right choice? That doubt is what keeps me from being exactly what I need to be. But regardless, it is there. How well do I listen? How open am I?

I have so much yet to learn.

Posts: 3 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement