Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Miscellaneous   » General Discussion   » Artificial Christmas Trees

Author Topic: Artificial Christmas Trees
mom2jules
Community Member
Member # 5366

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mom2jules     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HisGrace:
Does that mean you are x'ing out 'Christmas' as well Caretaker?

Seriously guys - what would Jesus think? [Eek!]

The Grinch has a great message behind it. I can;t believe you find it offensive... It seems as if you just felt you had to pick on something...I mean really getting upset over an avatar? I like it and I love the movie...but hey you are entitled to feel that way but i think you should have put it in a far less judgemental way. Alot of non believers may come on here to check this out and see you complaining about a grinch avatar....if I was a non believer I sure would get teh message that Christians think they are "holier than tho" . Just my opinion.

--------------------
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me

Posts: 11 | From: Delaware | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mom2jules
Community Member
Member # 5366

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mom2jules     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HisGrace:

--------------------
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me

Posts: 11 | From: Delaware | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks!
Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by helpforhomeschoolers:
God knows my heart and its motivations and have a clear concious before him. Peace Be with you!

Well in that case I will have to leave it between you and God - right?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hisgrace: I am sorry that you do not approve of my avatar. But I dont appreciate your presumptions about my motivation. My motivation was simple. It was to show that I am not offended by those that call us grinches and worse because we feel convicted of the things we do. It was to add a little humor and lightheartedness to the subject that is very stressful here to some every year. If you see that as trying to push buttons, then I figure that is your problem. It is you that has ill thoughts about me and what motivates me. You will have to answer for that, God knows my heart and its motivations and have a clear concious before him.

Peace Be with you!

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HisGrace:

Seriously guys - what would Jesus think?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My heart and my goal is to seek after the purity of His Word, and His eternal truth. Sanctification is an ongoing process, and it will not be easy to divest this flesh of the last vestiges of man's traditions. I first "X" it out in my heart and then I can begin to sever it from my life.

In my heart I cannot celebrate the RCC celebration of Christ's Mass or the RCC celebration of Easter, which was wrested/separated from Passover.

I celebrate the Birth of Christ in my heart daily, but I must return to Biblical standards and not seek after man's Christmas traditions.

I celebrate the Cross of Calvary and the Resurrection of our Lord Jesus, but it must be wrested from the RCC compromise and associated with the Passover.

I must wrest 2000 years of Truth and separate it from a couple of hundred years of mythology and paganism.

There will be feasts and celebrations during the coming Righteous Reign, but not one aspect of Christ's Mass will ever be found accomadated by the Lion of the Tribe of Judah. There will be no decorated trees adjacent to the Throne of David, no stockings hung, no elf in red, no songs of winter's cheer.

There will songs of praise, of honor, of glory about the throne, and the Lamb of God will be honored throughout the world, as King of all Kings, and Lord of all Lords.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would think that Linda's avatar selection might be representative of how her stand for the truth might be perceived by others.

I think it was a cute idea, tongue in cheek, and I would like a Mr. Scrooge if I could find one.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 9 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess my main concern HFHS with your avatar is, what was your intent and motive for putting it on? Was it to push buttons, or was it done for God's glory in trying to make your point that it isn't necessary to celebrate the Christmas season?
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ROFLOL!!!!!!!

I love the pic Sis, and the movie has quite a moral message, that the Who's down in Whoville did not place their joy in the material but in the coming together and the celebration of the day. The joy of the Who's changed the heart of the Grinch and it went from microscopic to three sizes too big.

I was certainly Grinchy myself until the Lord Jesus touched my heart, and changed my path forever.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:

helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Gee Drew! I might have to take off the Grinch Suit after that! [type] Moldy Purple spots just might have done me in! [roll on floor] [type]
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 19 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Grinch Song

You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch
You really are a heel!
You're as cuddly as a cactus
You're as charming as an eel,
Mr. Grinch!
You're a bad banana with a
Greasy black peel!

You're a monster, Mr. Grinch
Your heart's an empty hole!
Your brain is full of spiders
You've got garlic in your soul,
Mr. Grinch!
I wouldn't touch you with a
Thirty-nine-and-a-half-foot pole!

You're a vile one, Mr. Grinch
You have termites in your smile!
You have all the tender sweetness
Of a seasick crocodile,
Mr. Grinch!
Given the choice between the two of you
I'd take the, um, seasick crocodile!

You're a rotter, Mr. Grinch
You're the king of sinful sots!
Your heart's a dead tomato splotched
With moldy purple spots,
Mr. Grinch!
You're a three-decker sauerkraut and toadstool sandwich
With arsenic sauce!

You nauseate me, Mr. Grinch
With a nauseous super naus!
You're a crooked dirty jockey
And you drive a crooked hoss,
Mr. Grinch!
Your soul is an appalling dump heap
Overflowing with the most disgraceful assortment of rubbish imaginable
Mangled up in tangled up knots!

You're a foul one, Mr. Grinch
You're a nasty, wasty skunk!
Your heart is full of unwashed socks
Your soul is full of gunk,
Mr. Grinch!
The three words that best describe you are as follows and I quote:
Stink, stank, stunk!

The Grinch

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:

helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

[clap2] [clap2] [clap2]
That was excellent! Tochet! [pound]

Actually all joking aside, I have always found it interesting that angels in the scripture when appearing to men appeared in human form. Yet in visions the Cheribum appear somewhat fearsome or at the very least strange.

Ps: I think that the Grinch is a guy.

HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by helpforhomeschoolers:
I am thinking that she would appear quite human and probably very attractive.

Only to those who are easily deceived.
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

I dont believe that the devil has a sister, but if the devil did and she were to appear to man, I am thinking that she would appear quite human and probably very attractive.
HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 8 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find your avatar a bit disconcerting HFHS. It reminds of the devil's sister. [mad2]
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

When I was a child we had one of those stupid aluminum trees with the color wheel! I hated it. All my childhood I wanted a real tree and we could never get one. My dad thought they were so expensive and then of course there was the envirnmental issue. (Do you suppose that they did not grow Christmas trees on Christmas Tree farms 40 years ago?)

Anyway, when I became an adult there was nothing for me but a real tree. I so loed the smell of pine. In Florida, you could spend $60.00 on a tree it was terrible! Here in SD they are cheap. You can cut your own for $5.00 and you can buy a huge one for under $30.00.

Half the fun was tramping along in the snow on the lot with the kids to pick it out. We always made picking the tree an event. We would take the kids out for supper and then go pick our tree and go home.

The year that we bought our VW New Beetle, was the last year that I really enjoyed the tree, before I came to know where we got the tradition of the "Christmas tree". I am sure that we were a site to see all piled into this VW the 4 of us and this huge 7 ft tree strapped to the roof plodding along in the snow on the 70 mle trip to the house from town.

We have decided that we will have a tree this year and next. Then Desi will be grown and we will not continue the tradition of the tree(God permitting and continuing to tarry that long). But, I would never want to have a fake tree. I still enjoy the smell of pine through-out the house.

Robby
Advanced Member
Member # 448

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if a poll was done, if more men than women would favor a real tree, and more women than men would favor an artificial. I say this because of the whole hunter/gatherer versus nature/nurture thing.

I bet more men would see getting a real tree as atrophy to prove his manhood--the bigger the tree, the better. In other words, the man goes out and hunts for a tree, captures one, packs it up and great with pride brings it back home. It's bark is rough and sticky,it's pine smell permeates throughout the house, the prickly needles fall on the rug, and the tree stand slops water and it needs a drink every few days. But this is a man's job which gives him worth!

A woman would probably rather shop in a department store for a tree. She likely views it as a decoration to beautify the home. So she is looking for a bargain, aware of it's cleanliness, it's color, shape and texture. Perhaps even spraying it with some type of perfumed scent. It's lovely in her eyes and brings her pleasure.

Hmm, it sounds like good Dave Barry material...

Posts: 364 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We got our tree after Christmas about 5 or 6 years ago on sale. It has pine cones on it and looks real. I really enjoy my tree.
Real ones smell great, but cost so much.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Jan and I were married in May,1972. Our first Christmas we put up a real tree. When we moved in 1977 we were still picking needles out of the carpet.

In 1973 we bought a wood artificial one but after a couple of years the wood started to wear out.

In 1976 I believe, we bought a 7' metal and plastic artificial at the Davids department store, for $35.00. After 29 years it is still as solid as it was the first year.

A few years back we found one identical to ours in a thrift store for about $25. New they are about $100+.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:

Robby
Advanced Member
Member # 448

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I understand your point. You know, I hadn't thought about the fact an artificial tree could be problematic too with allergies and asthma. Thanks for pointing that out. Here's a link which explains just exactly that:
sinuspharmacy

Jesus is indeed the light of the world! [clap2]

Posts: 364 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
silverlion
Advanced Member
Member # 5293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for silverlion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there Robby,

I wish we could afford a real tree, but instead most of the time we have a couple of little fake trees. And with the fakes one must be careful how they are stored,the dust can kick up allergy/asthma trouble too just as the oleoresins [sp?] or how you say it? in a real tree.

My Hubby was out of work for six months,so we are using a recycled 'fakes' and one that was a gift. I'd love to get a real one that we can plant later,perhaps next year?

Tho' we'd love a real tree,I'd rather have a fake than none at all. For me it is a symbol,Jesus is the light of the world,and is the loving giver of everlasting life to those who seek and find Him!!! At the same time I can definetly see your point!!! Hope I am making sense!?! [Smile]

--------------------
Psalm 68:13b ...treasures-Doves with wings of silver and feathers of gold.

Posts: 50 | From: Idaho | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robby
Advanced Member
Member # 448

Okay, I just want to get something of my chest about "artificial Christmas trees"...

The other day I was standing in front of Gottschalks and a woman walked with a rectangular box which had an illustration of Christmas tree on it and read, "pre-lit Christmas tree".

Closer to home, my mom had been thinking of getting an artificial tree and one of sister's already had one (she's allergic to Christmas trees because of the oleoresins produced by the tree itself. Ironically, it is these same oleoresins that give Christmas trees their pleasant Christmas smells trees). For allergy and asthma sufferers, I would recommend a Leyland cypress because you won't have any problems with it.

I really don't like artificial trees. The best explanation I can give as to why is Charlie Brown's Christmas. If you recall, Charlie Brown rejected all these artificial trees, then finally found a special, little, scrawny tree that drooped over when he hung a single bell on it. It turned out to be a great little Christmas tree!

Many claim artificial trees to be better for the environment. Mostly, people cite clear cutting as the reason, but nowdays virtually all christmas trees are grown on Christmas tree farms. Furthermore, real trees are renewable and recyclable--most municipalities turn used trees into mulch.

But let's think of how an artificial tree is made? First of all, the vast majority of artificial trees are made in China where there is religious persecution--so are many toys and other christmas decorations and christmas lights.

But artificial trees are made out of petroleum products. Therefore, one first needs to disturb the environment by drilling into the ground for petroleum. Then the petroleum needs to be processed at a refinery, and manufactured in a factory, each of which produces smog and waste.

Artificial trees are not biodegradable. When you are ready to cast out you articial tree after so many years, it will sit for years and years in a landfill.

An artificial trees have the advantage of being more economical and cleaner in the home. For some people, it is understandable why they might have one. Of course, a living Christmas tree is also a very good option if your concerned about mounting tree costs each year.

Personally, if the Christmas tree is supposed be a symbol of our faith in Christ, I don't want it to be something fake, but real. Certainly, where faith is concerned, what counts the most is what comes from one's own heart. I really can't think of a better explaination of my point of view than Charlie Brown's Christmas.

Well, that's it, I'm off my soapbox. [Smile]

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement