Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Miscellaneous   » General Discussion   » Someting to think about

Author Topic: Someting to think about
cheech
Advanced Member
Member # 4592

Icon 7 posted      Profile for cheech     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a tough situation for sure. I kind of go through that now. I think "what if they won't listen?" "what if they get mad at me?". Ahhhh those "what ifs".

I think alot depends on the timing. Finding the right time to say what you have to say but put it delicately to where you aren't coming off as pointing a finger pointing out faults. You know you aren't doing that but they may see it differently. If it's said with love and in a respectful way how concerned you are, then by ending it with "I'm always here if you have any questions or want to talk" then maybe that will get through to them. All you can really do is plant the seed.

I just had a friend of my daughter's, who is 15, tell me she is thinking about turning to paganism. Her parents are divorced, the mom is going through her second teenage years as she had kids young, and she just moved to a new town and school. When I asked how she came to this decision, she said a couple friends (could be adults)talked with her about it and they accept her as is unlike her grandparents who are upset with her decision. I had to handle it delicately.

Good luck to you...looks like things got worked out

--------------------
My God Is My Faith

Posts: 35 | From: KS | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love you too, Linda. You have been a constant source of encouragment since the very begining of me coming here. Sometimes, the only source of encouragment in my life has been you and others here. As you know my hubby is a babe in Christ and when troubles come, I get worn out trying to prop him up. I come here and I get refuled. I thank God for this board.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boy, that is so funny! [Big Grin] God is very gracious though and he has never once allowed me to feel that you should have supported me and did not. I have felt very supported by you in prayer and in encouragement and fellowship.

I really think that I understand what Paul was talking about when he said he joyed in the congregations that he laboured with. I count it such a blessing to be allowed to see HIS working in the lives of people here and through the lives of people here. It astounds me that God is gracious to us in this way. It thrills me, encourages me, humbles me all at the same time. God has grown me so much through all of you. The majesty... his majesty in that way is just incredible to me.

As far as offending. I never knew I was offended against. God is gracious to us when we are obedient to him.

I don't think that you should ever post in support of me to support me; I think you should always post in support of God and what He wants you to say. That is obedience, that is a post for you, and for HIM, and for those HE wants to hear from you.

I love you Betty!!!

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you His Grace and you Linda.

Linda,
I appreciate your kind words. You were one that I have offended in the past. Not with words against you, but by staying silent and not supporting you even when I knew you were right. I chose to be chicken and let you take the abuse. I am truly sorry for that. I am praying for God to give me more courage to speak up for what is right and of course the grace to keep my mouth shut when I should. Sometimes I do get mixed up on that.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God is so good and It is such a joy for me to see how God is moving in your life as of late Betty and using you in very profound ways. You are preachin Good sister Betty! I find that when God is using me the most, I am the least in my comfort zone. He stretches us, he calls us to an obedience that takes us OUT of our comfort zone and into a place where we HAVE to rely on HIM and have to take each step in FAITH and cannot rely on US. This is because he does not want our work; he wants to work in and through us; HIS work; he wants our obedience and trust in HIM alone.
Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your post is so profound, Sister Betty. We know that we are weak humans ourselves and could be the next one to be tripped up in pride, but when we see a fellow brother or sister being led down a wrong path, we need careful discernment and prayer so that we can help them before they completely fall away. I'm like you Betty, I would rather just keep my mouth shut, but we are responsible for each other.

We need Biblical wisdom.
"Prov. 20:5,6 Though good advice lies keep within a person's heart, the wise will draw it out.
Many will say they are loyal friends, but who can find one who is really faithful?"

To me this says we must never give up on someone, but prayerfully keep them in our hearts so that we will know just the right words to say. We also have to discern proper timing as well.

Praying that you will receive courage to say the right words with the proper timing, Betty.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 6 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We as people for the most part strife to please, especially women who have been raised that way. But when does the urge to please and not offend become a hindrance to a Christian? When we see a friend being mislead, and we keep our mouth shut rather than offend. If we see a person we care about in physical danger, we step in and do our best to help. Yet, when we see a person, in danger of being led down a path that could harm their soul, we have tended to put our fears of hurting their feelings ahead of what is right.
Does that mean we need to hit them over the head or be cruel? No, of course we don’t need to do that, but we should be willing to shine the light of truth and in love and compassion point the way to the true path. This morning, I realized that I have been guilty of this. Someone I care about is caught up in something that is not quite right, yet I did back flips trying to keep from hurting them. I realize that by doing this I failed my friend all for the cause of looking good in her eyes. I realize I need to pray for courage to do the right thing and not the feel good thing. Maybe someone else needs to pray this prayer too.

--------------------

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement