Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Miscellaneous   » General Discussion   » O'Hara's Choice

Author Topic: O'Hara's Choice
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They might have sacrificed their own love for the greater good, I don't know, not having read the book. Sometimes heroic duty might be the higher calling, sometimes in history societal dictates and family loyalty might have been the greater need. For instance a princess who loves a commoner, but must marry another royal to unite the kingdoms. Was his call to duty a higher imperative than their happiness? Were the needs of her family a higher priority than her own fulfillment? Just conjecture into character.

If their desire to part was selfish, then their love was probably not real.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cameron
Advanced Member
Member # 1090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cameron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so, you're saying that you think they should have made a go of it?

I've read Exodus. I loved it.

--------------------
Why do we care what people think of us when we know what God thinks of us?

Posts: 332 | From: Queensland, Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have enjoyed a couple of Uris' works, especially "Exodus",(which was made into a movie). He is writing about relationships from his particular perspective, and in much of his work, tragedy and love's separation plays a part.

As a Christian I define my personal perspective by God's Word. We are to cherish our loved ones as Christ loved the Church, unconditionally and sacrificially. A pure, true love can be readily defined from His Word:

1 Corinthians 13:
4: Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
5: Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
6: Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
7: Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
8: Charity never faileth

Insert the word "love" for charity.

Love places the best interests of others before ourselves, love sacrifices on behalf of others. When a married couple both thinks of the other first, the marriage can be the epitamy of love.

Uris is a superb author and writes tremendous historical fiction.

I would highly recommend Exodus, and The Haj.

May God bless.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cameron
Advanced Member
Member # 1090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cameron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently read a book entitled "O'Hara's Choice", by Leon Uris. Set in 1890's America, this young Marine officer and a wealthy heiress fall in love, and go through a heap of struggles and opposition from people. In the end they have a chance to be together, but they both decide that they can't live the type of life that the other wants and go their separate ways. My question is do you think they did the right thing by giving it up, or do you think the REALLY strong thing to do would have been to slog it out together and make it work? I personally think they took the easy way out. After all, did they REALLY love each other if they weren't willing to sacrifice their lifestyles to be together??

--------------------
Why do we care what people think of us when we know what God thinks of us?

Posts: 332 | From: Queensland, Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement