Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Miscellaneous   » General Discussion   » WINDOWS WORM WARNING!!!!

Author Topic: WINDOWS WORM WARNING!!!!
njclary
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OOOOhhhhh- I got it. My puters all wormy. I will try what you are advising but I will probably need other help. This thing is all messed up. and I am having trouble staying on . I'll need to close for now. talk at you sweet people later [I hope]

Joel

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a more concise note on the above post. Point is get the patch before you get the worm.

We wanted to make you aware of a new virus currently making its
way around the Internet. MSBlast is an Internet worm that exploits
a known vulnerability in Windows 2000, NT, and XP. This worm is
NOT spread via Email, instead, it scans the Internet looking for
vulnerable computers. When it finds one, it will install a program
called msblast.exe onto the computer. Once infected, the
computer will begin replicating the worm and passing it on to
others. If the worm fails to replicate, it may cause the computer to
crash.

If your computer is running Windows 2000, NT or XP, please visit
the Windows Update Web Site at http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ to protect your computer
against this worm. Users of Windows 95, 98, or 3.11 are not at risk.

To read more about the MSBlast worm please visit the following
news articles:

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/internet/0,39020369,39115645,00.htm

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=13100032

To obtain a fix for the worm to install on an infected computer,
please visit: www.symantec.com and download the
W32.Blaster.Worm removal tool.

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 11 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a warning for all windows xp; windows me, windows nt users.

I have been all day battling a worm that infected my computer. This worm does not enter through email as most infections do. It enters through a port during internet connection.

It causes your computer to shut down.. crash everytime you open wndows 60 seconds later boom you are down.

The worm enters through a windows security breech. you can download a patch to prevent this at download security patch from microsoft

[Embarrassed] If you run windows MAKE SURE YOU HAVE INSTALLED THIS PATCH!!! DO IT BEFORE YOU GET THE WORM [Embarrassed]

[Eek!] The patch will stop the worm from working, but it will not remove the worm from your system; you will have to use your virus software for the latest tool to remove it. [Eek!]

The worm is called:

W32.Blaster.Worm.

Also Known As: W32/Lovsan.worm [McAfee], Win32.Poza [CA], Lovsan [F-Secure], WORM_MSBLAST.A [Trend], W32/Blaster-A [Sophos], W32/Blaster [Panda]

You can also remove it manually; here is how:

Important Notes:
W32.Blaster.Worm exploits the DCOM RPC vulnerability. This is described in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-026, and a patch is available there. You must download and install the patch. In many cases, you will need to do this before you can continue with the removal instructions. If you are not able to remove the infection or prevent re-infection using the following instructions, first download and install the patch.
Because of the way the worm works, it may be difficult to connect to the Internet to obtain the patch, definitions, or removal tool before the worm shuts down the computer. There are at least two known ways to work around this, although neither solution works 100% of the time.

If you run Windows XP, activating the Windows XP firewall may allow you to download and install the patch, obtain virus definitions, and run the removal tool. This may also work with other firewalls, although this has not been confirmed.

In many cases, on both Windows 2000 and XP, changing settings for the Remote Call Procedure (RPC) Service may allow you to connect to the Internet without the computer shutting down. Follow these steps:
Do one of the following:
Windows 2000. Right-click the My Computer icon on the Windows desktop and then click Manage. The Computer Management window opens.
Windows XP. Click the Start button, right-click the My Computer icon, click Manage. The Computer Management window opens.

In the left pane, double-click Services and Applications and then select Services. A list of services appears.
In the right pane, locate the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service.

CAUTION: There is also a service named Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator. Do not confuse the two

Right-click the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service and click Properties.
Click the Recovery tab.
Using the drop-down lists, change First failure, Second failure, and Subsequent failures to "Restart the Service."
Click Apply and then OK

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disable System Restore (Windows XP).
Update the virus definitions.
End the Trojan process.
Run a full system scan and delete all the files detected as W32.Blaster.Worm.
Reverse the changes that the Trojan made to the registry.

For details on each of these steps, read the following instructions.

1. Disabling System Restore (Windows XP)
If you are running Windows Me or Windows XP, we recommend that you temporarily turn off System Restore. Windows Me/XP uses this feature, which is enabled by default, to restore the files on your computer in case they become damaged. If a virus, worm, or Trojan infects a computer, System Restore may back up the virus, worm, or Trojan on the computer.

Windows prevents outside programs, including antivirus programs, from modifying System Restore. Therefore, antivirus programs or tools cannot remove threats in the System Restore folder. As a result, System Restore has the potential of restoring an infected file on your computer, even after you have cleaned the infected files from all the other locations.

Also, a virus scan may detect a threat in the System Restore folder even though you have removed the threat.

For instructions on how to turn off System Restore, read your Windows documentation

3. Ending the Worm process
To end the Trojan process:

Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete once.
Click Task Manager.
Click the Processes tab.
Double-click the Image Name column header to alphabetically sort the processes.
Scroll through the list and look for msblast.exe.
If you find the file, click it, and then click End Process.
Exit the Task Manager.

4. Scanning for and deleting the infected files
Start your antivirus program and make sure that it is configured to scan all the files.

Run a full system scan.

If any files are detected as infected with W32.Blaster.Worm, click Delete.

5. Reversing the changes made to the registry

CAUTION: I recommend that you back up the registry before making any changes to it.

Incorrect changes to the registry can result in permanent data loss or corrupted files. Modify the specified keys only. Read the document, "How to make a backup of the Windows registry," for instructions.

Click Start, and then click Run. (The Run dialog box appears.)
Type regedit

Then click OK. (The Registry Editor opens.)

Navigate to the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

In the right pane, delete the value:

"windows auto update"="msblast.exe"

Exit the Registry Editor.

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement