Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Miscellaneous   » General Discussion   » Norton Internet Security

Author Topic: Norton Internet Security
Chuck_Slotter
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a new Spyware program called "Rapidblaster" and it morphs. Once you are infected, the program terminates itself and downloads a different version from the internet to run on your computer. Deleting the registry key doesn't mean you are going to get rid of the spyware either and I don't think Norton is paying attention to some of these programs but I could be wrong.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,1134402,00.asp

Chuck

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ProphecyEye
Advanced Member
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ProphecyEye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Port scanning does not mean you are in a lot of danger. It's the same as someone driving by your house scoping out the place to see if you have any obvious open windows to get in through. Hackers/crackers will scan large IP blocks looking for specific vulnerabilites but this doesn't mean you are directly being attacked.

Just get on a security mailing list relevant to your operating system to inform you of the latest vunerabilities so you know what to patch and how. Putting up a good firewall (hardware is better than software) will help but it may also prevent normal usage of some applications and many average users may not know how to setup the firewall to allow usage of certian programs (specificly ones that require incomming ports to be open). Unfortuanly the only real way to secure a computer is to spend about as much time as the hackers/crackers do learning about se#CC

Posts: 67 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chuck_Slotter
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Everyone,

I recently bought Norton Internet Security because an educational piece of software installed by someone else decided to put spyware on the computer I use.

I sat at the monitor and wondered why the hard drive was spinning when I wasn't using it.

I kept being directed to a search engine that I didn't want to use. I kept having to hit control-alt-delete to close the screen.

I downloaded adaware and the non-professional version did clean up some things. I ran msconfig from the start menu and looked to see what was loading from startup and removed bmlauncher from the computer startup. I then quarantined the sucker until I decide what to do with it.

I'm running Norton Internet Security now with the 2003 anti-virus. Just tonight someone tried to scan the ports on my computer so I emailed the internet provider and told them about it. I also emailed my internet provider so I hope I'm covered.

Hackers try to enter computers by scanning the ports on your computer. I'm told by programmers that it is hard to do but someone is doing it and I know they do it.

There are some firewalls that you can download for free but I'm all for security and I recommend that people secure their computer.

I've always been careful and I have had other anti-virus programs running on my computer but it is never too late to be sure about what is going on.

Chuck

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement