Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Miscellaneous   » General Discussion   » Drinking

Author Topic: Drinking
AhmaBeliever
Advanced Member
Member # 43

Icon 3 posted      Profile for AhmaBeliever   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by barrykind:
Greetings all;
My dear Brother and freind.. ahmabeliver stated:

quote:
I know I am not bound for hell. Because the blood of Jesus covers that if it is a sin.
Brother when you are in the Lord, born from above, you will know if something is sin because the Holy Spirit will convict you!

That is not a wise statement "blood of Jesus coves that if it is a sin", in which sounds like a license to sin.. in which i feel sure is not what you meant...

I should have put more emphasis on the IF it is a sin . Drinking is not a sin --- unless it is done in excess .What is excess ? How much is too much ?
That is where none of us has a solid answer .The Bible does not say any real specific amount , ( at least not that I recall ).It does mention a "glass" , but not to be sarcastic , but how Big of a glass ?

So how much is too much for a believer ? For some , a SIP is too much.Because just the taste brings back the memories and personality of their former selves that they were trying to leave behind.One sip leads to two --- leads to three --- leads to .........

For others , it can be different .

But once again , as Christians , our focus should not be on what we can get away with . Our concern should be for others , saved and unsaved . Even if the Word does "prescribe" wine for a belly ache , it may be better for me to deal with a little pain now , than to be the stumbling block that leads some to ETERNAL PAIN in Hell . [mad2]

--------------------
John 14:27
Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

Posts: 81 | From: Georgetown , Kentucky | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Miguel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Genesis 19:32 Come, let us make our father drink wine, and we will lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father.

Genesis 19:33 And they made their father drink wine that night: and the firstborn went in, and lay with her father; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor when she arose.

Genesis 19:34 And it came to pass on the morrow, that the firstborn said unto the younger, Behold, I lay yesternight with my father: let us make him drink wine this night also; and go thou in, and lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father.

Genesis 19:35 And they made their father drink wine that night also: and the younger arose, and lay with him; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor when she arose.

Leviticus 10:9 Do not drink wine nor strong drink, thou, nor thy sons with thee, when ye go into the tabernacle of the congregation, lest ye die: it shall be a statute for ever throughout your generations:

Numbers 6:20 And the priest shall wave them for a wave offering before the LORD: this is holy for the priest, with the wave breast and heave shoulder: and after that the Nazarite may drink wine.

Judges 13:14 She may not eat of any thing that cometh of the vine, neither let her drink wine or strong drink, nor eat any unclean thing: all that I commanded her let her observe.

Proverbs 31:4 It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine; nor for princes strong drink:

Isaiah 5:22 Woe unto them that are mighty to drink wine, and men of strength to mingle strong drink:

Isaiah 24:9 They shall not drink wine with a song; strong drink shall be bitter to them that drink it.

Jeremiah 35:14 The words of Jonadab the son of Rechab, that he commanded his sons not to drink wine, are performed; for unto this day they drink none, but obey their father's commandment: notwithstanding I have spoken unto you, rising early and speaking; but ye hearkened not unto me.

Ezekiel 44:21 Neither shall any priest drink wine, when they enter into the inner court.

Amos 5:11 Forasmuch therefore as your treading is upon the poor, and ye take from him burdens of wheat: ye have built houses of hewn stone, but ye shall not dwell in them; ye have planted pleasant vineyards, but ye shall not drink wine of them.

Amos 6:6 That drink wine in bowls, and anoint themselves with the chief ointments: but they are not grieved for the affliction of Joseph.

Micah 6:15 Thou shalt sow, but thou shalt not reap; thou shalt tread the olives, but thou shalt not anoint thee with oil; and sweet wine, but shalt not drink wine.

Mark 15:23 And they gave him to drink wine mingled with myrrh: but he received it not.

Romans 14:21 It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.

Proverbs 4:17 For they eat the bread of wickedness, and drink the wine of violence.

Proverbs 9:5 Come, eat of my bread, and drink of the wine which I have mingled.

Proverbs 20:1 Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.

Proverbs 23:7 For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he: Eat and drink, saith he to thee; but his heart is not with thee.

Proverbs 31:4 It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine; nor for princes strong drink:

Proverbs 31:5 Lest they drink, and forget the law, and pervert the judgment of any of the afflicted.

Proverbs 23:1 When thou sittest to eat with a ruler, consider diligently what [is] before thee:

Proverbs 23:2 And put a knife to thy throat, if thou [be] a man given to appetite.

Proverbs 23:3 Be not desirous of his dainties: for they [are] deceitful meat.

Proverbs 23:5 Wilt thou set thine eyes upon that which is not? for [riches] certainly make themselves wings; they fly away as an eagle toward heaven.

Proverbs 23:6 Eat thou not the bread of [him that hath] an evil eye, neither desire thou his dainty meats:

Proverbs 23:7 For as he thinketh in his heart, so [is] he: Eat and drink, saith he to thee; but his heart [is] not with thee.

Proverbs 23:10 Remove not the old landmark; and enter not into the fields of the fatherless:

Proverbs 23:12 Apply thine heart unto instruction, and thine ears to the words of knowledge.

Proverbs 23:15 My son, if thine heart be wise, my heart shall rejoice, even mine.

Proverbs 23:17 Let not thine heart envy sinners: but [be thou] in the fear of the LORD all the day long.

Proverbs 23:19 Hear thou, my son, and be wise, and guide thine heart in the way.

Proverbs 23:20 Be not among winebibbers; among riotous eaters of flesh:

Proverbs 23:21 For the drunkard and the glutton shall come to poverty: and drowsiness shall clothe [a man] with rags.

Proverbs 23:23 Buy the truth, and sell [it] not; [also] wisdom, and instruction, and understanding.

Proverbs 23:24 The father of the righteous shall greatly rejoice: and he that begetteth a wise [child] shall have joy of him.

Proverbs 23:26 My son, give me thine heart, and let thine eyes observe my ways.

Proverbs 23:29 Who hath woe? who hath sorrow? who hath contentions? who hath babbling? who hath wounds without cause? who hath redness of eyes?

Proverbs 23:30 They that tarry long at the wine; they that go to seek mixed wine.

Proverbs 23:31 Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, [when] it moveth itself aright.

Proverbs 23:32 At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder.

Proverbs 23:33 Thine eyes shall behold strange women, and thine heart shall utter perverse things.

Proverbs 23:34 Yea, thou shalt be as he that lieth down in the midst of the sea, or as he that lieth upon the top of a mast.

Proverbs 23:35 They have stricken me, [shalt thou say, and] I was not sick; they have beaten me, [and] I felt [it] not: when shall I awake? I will seek it yet again.

Thank You
Love in Christ
MAC

Job 33:18 He keepeth back his soul from the pit, and his life from perishing by the sword.

Job 33:28 He will deliver his soul from going into the pit, and his life shall see the light.

PS 19:14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

[Lighthouse]

--------------------
Romans 9:11-24

Our Eschatology may vary even our Ecclesiology may be disputed among us but our Soteriology most assume a singularity and exclusivity which in biblical term is known as Quote; "The Narrow Way" and Quote!

Posts: 2792 | From: Stockton,Ca | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HIM
Advanced Member
Member # 119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HIM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are various things about which Christians have different opinions. One is drinking alcohol in moderation.

Some believers never drink alcohol because they believe it's best not to. I would caution anyone who believes it is not a sin to drink in moderation, to be respectful of those who do see it as sinful, which means, not arguing with them about it. I believe this is one meaning of Romans 14 and 15.

And if you are in a church or Bible study with others who disagree with you about drinking alcohol in moderation, then it's probably best not to raise the issue because they might condemn you for doing what is not a sin to you. They ought not, if they understand Romans 14 and 15. But - it seems that believers often feel compelled to try and make other believers agree with them on non-essential issues.

In other words, I advise treading carefully when it comes to controversial non-essential issues - and if you do get in a situation where someone tries to make you conform to their own standard, which you do not believe God has called you to personally, you can politely thank them for their advice and drop the subject - and make a mental note to stay off that topic with them in future.

I think we open the door for Satan to cause unnecessary division and strife when we fail to accept that different believers truly seem to hear a different word from God on non-essentials. The best thing to do if we feel that someone is unknowingly sinning, is to say little - or maybe even nothing - and pray much - I believe.

love in Jesus
Helen

Posts: 89 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Icon 16 posted      Profile for barrykind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings all;
My dear Brother and freind.. ahmabeliver stated:

quote:
I know I am not bound for hell. Because the blood of Jesus covers that if it is a sin.
Brother when you are in the Lord, born from above, you will know if something is sin because the Holy Spirit will convict you!

That is not a wise statement "blood of Jesus coves that if it is a sin", in which sounds like a license to sin.. in which i feel sure is not what you meant...

We must be careful not to put TOO much stock in personal experiences, and what happened to sister so and so and the like. We must be bound by what the word of God states... That would be like my stating, i "steal" food cause im hungry but if thats sin i know the blood of Jesus will cover it. DO NOT misunderstand me folks, "the blood of Yahshua [Jesus] does cover sin>>>>>>>>>>>>

But what would be the difference of the man that went to hell and me if i choose to wilful sin and say that its under the blood....It greives me if i greive HIM..Parable of the sower (soil), if we are close to Him, judgement is swift and the fire of the Holy Ghost will comsume our spirit with greif of sin...

Now is God places certain things on folks heart like do not drive a car on the 6th day; the sabbath, well that brother would sin if he did; on the other hand Bro. Doe can drive all day and night that day and no conviction; let not him that drives nor him that does not drive strive with one another...We are called to a gospel of peace here. Now if one is refraining from lying (false witnessing) and the other brother says im at liberty, rebuke him sharply for he is to be blamed as so saith the Holy Scriptures..amen\

Let us make our points with the word of God and Holy Spirit as our guides or we all will have opinions that could be harmful to the gospel..amen

In His Agapao>barry a humble bondservant of Yahshua the Messiah

--------------------
The HEART of the issue is truly the issue of the HEART!
John 3:3;Mark 8:34-38;James 1:27

Posts: 3529 | From: Orange, Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Miguel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow today most be refreshing day; I most check this in (heart data.)

Thank You
Love in Christ
MAC

Job 33:18 He keepeth back his soul from the pit, and his life from perishing by the sword.

Job 33:28 He will deliver his soul from going into the pit, and his life shall see the light.

PS 19:14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

[Cross] [Cross] [Cross]

--------------------

Our Eschatology may vary even our Ecclesiology may be disputed among us but our Soteriology most assume a singularity and exclusivity which in biblical term is known as Quote; "The Narrow Way" and Quote!

Posts: 2792 | From: Stockton,Ca | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Icon 1 posted      Profile for barrykind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings All;

This thread can be benefical, short and to the point, or it can encompase scores of words..

First: Bible says "Donot partake of strong drink!
( i assume to mean "whiskey, bourbons, everclear and the like where the alcohol content is extreamly high - 100 proof is 50% alchohol

Second: When Paul told Timothy to "drink" a "little" wine for his stomachs sake, and his many infirmities...it wasnt grape juice.. it was because of the "alchohol" he was to drink it - kills germs.. (not unlike nyquil) -

Third: Not to be drunk (drunkards will not enter kingdom of heaven) why? a) God said so b) drunkeness gives place to the flesh, satan etc..
Oh BY THE way same thing can occur with prescription valums, zanex etc... it can cause one to lose their inhabitions like alcohol and give satan a place to work)

Jesus turned the water into Real "wine" folks..Those men made comment of how "good" the wine was..

NOW LETS GET DOWN TO A MAIN POINT HERE Linda touched on it..

Lets not cause a brother or sister to stumble in meat nor drink etc...
Let us not use liberty as a stumbling block to any brother or sister...(agape) - love

My earthly sister cannot drink one drop, to her it is something she had trouble with before salvation and she said GOD told her not to touch it..so be it! and if she does she sins..!!!

i was a drunk before i was saved, and God Almighty in His mercy and grace saved me, and set me free 1/18/1983-- i did not touch any alcohol for over 15 years.. i read one time about Paul telling Timothy about his stomach and i had some terrible hurting one time in mine.. i drank a glass of wine and it killed whatever was in there...

When God set me free i was free, only not to use my freedom to stumble a brother or sister, nor to allow satan to use it against me....

But to tell the truth like Susan drinking a glass of wine ever now and then its not sin, AS LONG AS God has given her peace about it, her Husband has no problem with it, and she does not get to that point where she loses her gaurd agains sin and satan... i will not back off what i believe to be truth...Let me tell you folks if my brother believes eating pork to be sin, he will never see pork in my house when he comes for supper....

"Parable of the soil" - heart conditioning, its all about how things affect our families, and the family of God...

The thread is drinking, i do not know about beer, i dont drink it (i use to drink gallons), i see wine as medicinal.. but i dont drink it every day, it can be a mocker, and a viper...
i wanted to run from this thread but the Lord would not let me..

What think ye???

--------------------
The HEART of the issue is truly the issue of the HEART!
John 3:3;Mark 8:34-38;James 1:27

Posts: 3529 | From: Orange, Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miguel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
john_powell:

Thank you for those refreshing words.

Thank You
Love in Christ
MAC

[Lighthouse]

--------------------

john_powell
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was wine spoken of in the Bible fermented or unfermented?

This subject has been cause for much debate and speculation among Christians and non-Christians alike. Much of the confusion as to whether wine was fermented or unfermented stems from the word "wine" being used in translation of the Greek word "oinos", which can denote either grape juice or intoxicating wine. This word "oinos" was used by secular and religious authors during Biblical times in referring to the juice of the grape. Nicander writes of squeezing grapes and refers to the juice produced as wine or "oinos". Papias, one of the early Church fathers, wrote that when grapes are crushed, they yield jars of wine or "oinos". The Translators of the Bible knew that the word "oinos" could refer to either fermented or unfermented wine. In Ephesians 5:18, Paul commands us to "be not drunk with wine (oinos)." But in Revelation 19:15, Jesus is described as treading out the winepress. The original Greek text reads, "He treads the winepress of the wine (oinos)." Wine coming from a winepress would, of course, be juice squeezed from the grapes.

Many processes in Biblical times were used to process the juice and keep it fresh for long periods without fermenting.Wines of antiquity were more like syrup, not fermented, and kept sweet for several months. One method of processing the grapes required boiling them until a thick paste was formed. This paste, which had a high sugar concentration, could be stored for a long time. It was used as a spread for bread, or mixed with water to make juice. New wine was, as the name implies, freshly pressed juice. When speaking of fermented wine, Jewish customs of Biblical times required mixing the wine with as least three parts of water, or even as much as ten parts water. Otherwise, it would defile the person drinking it. Knowing this, some insight is added to the Revelation 14:10 which speaks of those taking the mark of beast drinking of the wine of God's wrath "without mixture" or full strength.

The Passover required bread made without yeast, an agent of fermentation. It could be safe to assume that the wine was also without fermentation. At the Passover meal before Jesus' crucifixion, He stated the bread represented His body and the fruit of the vine represented His blood. It would be consistent to think that both the bread and wine, since they represented Christ's body and blood, were without any fermentation agents and were uncorrupted. Fermented wine was never to be used in the temple, nor could the priests draw near to God in worship if they had used fermented wine (Leviticus 10:9). Christ was our High Priest of the new covenant drawing nigh to God. The Gospels refer to Christ's blood at the Passover meal, not as wine, but as the cup or the fruit of the vine.

Knowing then that the Greek word "oinos", which is translated throughout the New Testament as "wine", could refer to fermented or unfermented wine, how do we determine which is the case? We must look at other passages in the scriptures which reference wine or drinking to determine which type of wine was used.

Leviticus 10:9, mentioned above, instructs the priests to not drink wine nor strong drink. Solomon in his Proverbs, wrote, "Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging; and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise." (Proverbs 20:1). The NIV translates this verse, "Wine is a mocker and beer is a brawler; whoever is led astray by them is not wise." Then again in chapter 23, Solomon writes, "Who hath woe? Who hath contentions? Who hath sorrow? Who hath babbling? Who hath wounds without cause? Who hath redness of eyes? They that tarry long at the wine; they that go to seek mixed wine. Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his color in the cup, when it moveth itself aright. At the last, it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder. Thine eyes shall behold strange women, and thine heart shall utter perverse things." (23:29-33). The prophet Habbakuk penned, "Woe unto him that giveth his neighbor drink, that putteth thy bottle to him, and makest him drunken also." (Habbakuk 2:15). The apostle Paul told the Romans, "It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak." (Romans 14:21). To the Ephesians, Paul wrote "Be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit." To Timothy, Paul instructed him to be "not given to wine." (See Ephesians 5:18; 1 Timothy 3:3,8; 1 Peter 4:3; Titus 1:7, 2:3).

From these scriptures, we see that the Bible is strongly against drinking fermented wine. If Jesus turned the water into intoxicating wine at the wedding in Canaan, then He is in violation of Habbakuk's warning, "Woe unto him that giveth his neighbor drink." He would have given several large pots of fermented wine to a wedding party which had already been drinking resulting in drunkeness. This miracle would not have manifested Jesus' glory if it happened so. If Jesus drank wine, then He is guilty of "looking on the wine when it is red" and ignoring Solomon's warning of contentions, babblings, sorrow and woe to those who tarry at the wine. Jesus came to fulfill the law, and not to break it.

Read the article "Sippin' Saints" by David Wilkerson
http://www.tscpulpitseries.org/english/undated/sipsaint.html

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sojourner
Advanced Member
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sojourner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Author
Topic: Drinking
ray
Community Member
Member # 264

posted August 15, 2002 07:26 PM

What are the thoughts on this and where can I find it in the bible? Thank you from a baby christian hopeful!!!

Ray,
Are you a baby Christian then? If so, welcome to the family, brother! When it comes to finding things in the Bible, may I recommend getting yourself a good concordance-Strong's is a good one.

Let me give you some verse references to look up about drinking:
Proverbs 20:1, Proverbs 23:29-35
The miracle of Jesus turning the water into wine can be found in John, chapter 2:3-11.
Matthew 11:18-19 talks about how those turned against God can twist whatever a person does, drinking or not drinking into something it is not.
I Timothy 5:23 is where the verse is found about Timothy not drinking just water, but having a little wine for his stomach and many ailments.
I Timothy chapter 3 verses 3 and 18 I think have a key in this matter- we should not be addicted to alcohol. For people in leadership in the church, this is a requirement and a good example for us to follow who are not leaders. Please, please look up all these passages!
Finally I quote Ephesians 5:18
"And do not get drunk with wine, for that is dissipation, but be filled with the Spirit,"
May God bless you!

[Smile]

Posts: 276 | From: CA, U.S.A. | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Susan
Advanced Member
Member # 131

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Susan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well for some, drinking is beneficial. I am to drink a small amount of wine everyday to bring my good cholesterol count up where it is suppose to be. I take meds to bring down my bad cholesteral. I don't drink the wine everyday like Dr said b/c I don't really like it.
So you see its not just for the wild ones who like to get drunk. It can be used in moderation for medicinal purposes. I guess its all in how you look at it.

Take food. Over eat and its a sin. Gluttenism is a sin. Over drink and its drunkenness. Drunkenness is a sin. Just because you may over eat doesnt mean you should stop eating completely. No, you use moderation.

If a person wants to drink for the buzz, even a light buzz, they probably shouldnt drink as they are using it for the wrong reason and certainly not for the glory of God.
We are to do everything to His glory. Is getting lightly buzzed going to glorify HIM?

I'm glad you posed the questions. I beleive a lot of people are curious about this issue.

quote:
Originally posted by ProphecyEye:
I got a question. What is the point of drinking if not to get drunk? Or atleast get buzzed? How buzzed is too buzzed? I have been everything from slightly red but feeling like normal (I turn into a lobster when drinking) to waking up in the hospital the next morning with a sherif standing next to me not remembering what happend the night before. Where do you draw the line?

Sorry I guess that is more than one question...

Posts: 141 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

Wow; all this is very interesting.

Thank You
Love in Christ
MAC

[WOW] [WOW] [WOW]

--------------------

art
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahma
Thats pretty much the way I see it. If I ever have a drink, it is usually in a restaurant while travelling on vacation but for the sake of stumbling, not where I live.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AhmaBeliever
Advanced Member
Member # 43

Icon 3 posted      Profile for AhmaBeliever   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It cannot be argued that the Bible says Not to drink . Like Kindgo said , the first ( recorded ) miracle by Jesus involved wine.
From a personal perspective , moderation and discernment are paramount for me .I was a bartender in Reno/Sparks , NV in 1991 and 1992 . I did not start my day with less than a fifth of bourbon , ( if you are wondering , that is ALOT ) . I learned soon that a Gambling Alcholic should not be a bartender in Reno/Sparks Nevada . I lost a Brand new Car , was broke every day , ( even though with tips I made 800 a week ) . I lost a few friends who frequented my bar to Drugs and/or murder ( I suspect Both ).I nearly lost my Wife / marriage . She gave me a choice one day after I had been gone for 3+ days wasted out of my mind , to choose her or the bar . Thank God I chose her.

So what is my point ? Well if I have the occasional drink , I know I am not bound for hell. Because the blood of Jesus covers that if it is a sin. But from experience , I can tell you with absolute confidence , that a few too many drinks could lead to a self imposed Hell on Earth.

We should use Great Care as Christians not to lead others to fall .Drinking in front of someone we are hoping to convert may seem to be a "simple misunderstanding" , that leads to their eternal Damnation in lake of fire.

So my suggestion is to have that occasional sip of wine or whatever , but do so cautiously , with discrepancy and discernment , and most advisedly ALONE .

[Bible] Romans 14:21 [Bible]
It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother to fall.

[Bible] 1 Corinthians 8:13 [Bible]
Therefore, if what I eat causes my brother to fall into sin, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause him to fall.

--------------------
John 14:27
Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

Posts: 81 | From: Georgetown , Kentucky | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ProphecyEye
Advanced Member
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ProphecyEye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a question. What is the point of drinking if not to get drunk? Or atleast get buzzed? How buzzed is too buzzed? I have been everything from slightly red but feeling like normal (I turn into a lobster when drinking) to waking up in the hospital the next morning with a sherif standing next to me not remembering what happend the night before. Where do you draw the line?

Sorry I guess that is more than one question...

Posts: 67 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RadiKal
Member # 295

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RadiKal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I don't think there is anything wrong with drinking, and besides, alcohol in moderation is good for you [Smile] Which probably explains why Jesus made it as his first miracle, and why Paul told Timothy to drink it.

But I agree with everyone else, its a sin if you get drunk - the Bible clearly says so - but moderate drinking is ok. That said, if you don't like drinking or feel it is wrong for you, then there is nothing wrong with that either [Smile]

--------------------
Caritas sine scientia aberrat
-Augustine

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh boy; dodging beer bottles and boo's...

I think what kindgo says is true... the Bible says be sober. A beer with dinner is not going to make you drunk and is ok in that sense. The Bible tells us what ever we eat or drink do it the glory of the Lord.

But here is something to think about....

The enemy today uses alcohol in a big way. It is marketed to kids who get under it's influence get into cars and kill people, get into illicit sex and have babies out of wedlock, spread Aids etc.
62% of high school seniors report that they have been drunk

The statistics that correlate the use of alchol and domestic violence are staggering.

Based on victim reports, each year 183,000 (37%) rapes and sexual assaults involve alcohol use by the offender, as do just over 197,000 (15%) of robberies, about 661,000 (27%) aggravated assaults, and nearly 1.7 million (25%) simple assaults

Alcohol contributes to 100,000 deaths annually, making it the third leading cause of preventable mortality in the US

From 1985 to 1992, the economic costs of alcoholism and alcohol-related problems rose 42% to $148 billion. Two-thirds of the costs related to lost productivity, either due to alcohol-related illness (45.7%) or premature death (21.2%). Most of the remaining costs were in the form of health care expenditures to treat alcohol use disorders and the medical consquences of alcohol consumption (12.7%), property and administrative costs of alcohol-related motor vehicle crashes (9.2%), and various additional costs of alcohol-related crime (8.6%). Based on inflation and population growth, the estimated costs for 1995 total $166.5 billion

Now, we as christians are called to be good and faithful students of our money. The Bible tells us that is God who gives us the power to get wealth that He may establish His covenant.

Our money belongs to God. If we use it to purchase alcohol, we use our (God's) money to support the alcohol industry. The alcohol industry is an industry used by Satan to kill and destroy the lives of many.

Is that good stewardship? Would Jesus approve?
I will leave the answer to that up to you...

Every thing we do advances one kingdom or the Other folks!

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie Nicole
Community Member
Member # 304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jessie Nicole     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't drink, but that's just because I don't want to. Just the smell makes me sick to my stomach. So I stay away from it. I don't smoke because I don't want to and I can't afford to damage my lungs. It already takes them forever to get fixed up after I have a cold.

--------------------
Growing in Grace

Posts: 9 | From: GA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
4Hislove
Advanced Member
Member # 265

Icon 21 posted      Profile for 4Hislove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ray....As a Catholic Christian....I know for a fact that you can drink that beer... [thumbsup] We Catholic's, at least here in Ky where I live, have a REP. for drinking, and playing bingo all the time... [Roll Eyes] Now of course due to my medication and my being a responcible adult now, I don't drink at all any longer...And the only gambling is this house is a $1.00 lotto ticket each week... [Big Clap] anyway...yeah its ok to have that 1 beer with that favorite meal... [Wink]

--------------------
Your Sister In Christ,
Christine

Posts: 50 | From: Bloomfield, Ky. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Kindgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Ray,
My brother [Kiss] The Lord Jesus Himself changed the water into wine. [thumbsup] That was His very first miracle.
The Bible says don't be a drunk, but you can have a drink now and then.

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

Inside the will of God there is no failure. Outside the will of God there is no success.

Posts: 4320 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ray
Advanced Member
Member # 264

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ray     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am curious. If you are christian do you not drink any alcohol at all. I like to have 1 beer with certain foods. Maybe a glass of wine. Never drink more than one. What are the thoughts on this and where can I find it in the bible? Thank you from a baby christian hopeful!!!
Posts: 22 | From: minnesota | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement