Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Miscellaneous   » General Discussion   » A wonderful Biblical marriage

Author Topic: A wonderful Biblical marriage
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What wonderful stories of romance!

You all who are blessed with these wonderful long happy marriages are such an encouragement. How blessed you are to have trusted God and made Him part of your committment to each other from the beginning!

I failed the first time at marriage divorced after 13 years, because I did not trust God, did not understand covenant, and did not have God in the relationship.

I am so thankful we serve a God of second chances who will bless us in spite of our failures and honor us when we committ to Him. I cannot see how marriage for life is even possible without God right in the middle of it.

I am now on year 12 of the rest of our lives. I still feel like the first day I laid eyes on him! It is so encouraging to hear from the rest of you who are this way after 20, 30 and more!

I don't remember another post by the person who posted this thread, but it sure was fun thinking about it and now reading your posts. I hope others will join in and share! It is encouraging reading!

God is soooo Good!!!

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These precious words of wisdom illuminate with such a sterling brilliance. Thank you Dear Ones in Christ for the superb teachings on Biblical marriage.

My precious one and I are celebrating our 30th year and often it still feels like a honeymoon. We met in High School, married a year later at age 18, and have three wonderful children and 6 grandchildren. Times have been rough at times, but through it all unconditional love and cherishment has seen us through. I tell folks that my precious "raised" me, and when I look at her I still see the one who sat behind me in English class, so many years ago.

Coming to Christ five years after marriage, has deepened our love for one another, because our Lord Jesus is now such a center in our lives.

If one can seek to love the other as our glorious Lord loved His Bride, then we can establish an oasis of love, impervious to the assaults from the darkened world without.

May God bless each of you, as you have so blessed us with your precious words of wisdom and teaching.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amber
Advanced Member
Member # 41

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Amber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boy there has been some wonderful information shared here. The best things about my marriage are the things that other people might not find out about. Like the way my husband says thankyou to me after every little thing I do for him. Or the way I want to get up at 5 in the morning to pack him lunch, so he can get going faster in the morning.
Yes, all the Bibical references are wonderful that the others supplied. God works wonders all around us, and sometimes it's hard to recall what was so special about something later. My marriage is the way it is because of God. He is in the mist of it always. [thumbsup]

--------------------
But if we walk in the light as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin. 1 John 1:7

Posts: 71 | From: South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
10 Characteristics Observable of Scriptural Marriage

1. Commitment , to the picture, that marriage represents to THE HEAVENLY FATHER,

EPH 5:22 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.
EPH 5:23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the savior of the body.
EPH 5:24 Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so [let] the wives [be] to their own husbands in every thing.
EPH 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
EPH 5:26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
EPH 5:27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.
EPH 5:28 So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.
EPH 5:29 For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:
EPH 5:30 For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.
EPH 5:31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.
EPH 5:32 This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.
EPH 5:33 Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife [see] that she reverence [her] husband.

2. Keeping Promises , showing forth the importance GOD shows in keeping HIS Promises to us.

PS 138:2 I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.

3. Keeping the sacred Vow of marriage.
ECCLES 5:1 \5:2\Be not rash with thy mouth, and let not thine heart be hasty to utter [any] thing before God: for God [is] in heaven, and thou upon earth: therefore let thy words be few.
ECCLES 5:2 \5:3\For a dream cometh through the multitude of business; and a fool's voice [is known] by multitude of words.
ECCLES 5:3 \5:4\When thou vowest a vow unto God, defer not to pay it; for [he hath] no pleasure in fools: pay that which thou hast vowed.
ECCLES 5:4 \5:5\Better [is it] that thou shouldest not vow, than that thou shouldest vow and not pay.
ECCLES 5:5 \5:6\Suffer not thy mouth to cause thy flesh to sin; neither say thou before the angel, that it [was] an error: wherefore should God be angry at thy voice, and destroy the work of thine hands?

4. Assurance , that what GOD has joined together no man can put asunder

COL 2:2 That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgement of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ;

5. Enthusiasm , always having a desire to please the one you love, doing all you can in different ways to demonstrate your special love for them. (love with out works is dead).

TIT 2:14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

6. Loyalty, learning to stand by the one (ones) GOD has given you to serve.

LK 22:42 Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.

7. Patience , learning that personal achievement and personal fulfillment or no longer a concern, but that I am in a relationship where , the other person takes preeminence .

GAL 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

8. Attentiveness , being sensitive to the needs of the other person.

1THESS 5:19 Quench not the Spirit.

9. Forgiveness , learning that it is the people around us, that GOD uses to
show us the areas HE desires to change in us.

MT 6:14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:

10. Love , characteristics of the nature of the seed of God that dwells in those that are
Born from above by the SPIRIT OF GOD. (Parable of the Sower)
JN 13:35 By this shall all [men] know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

1JN 3:16 Hereby perceive we the love [of God], because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down [our] lives for the brethren.

I see these things in a very special way for my wife and I, we have been married 30 years.
Since the LORD came into our life 28 ½ years ago, I can say that when 2 people commit to each other and unto the LORD and die to your own needs, and seek the best for the other in light of the best for GOD’S KINGDOM, marriage is a tremendous blessing.

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chasing_rainbows
Advanced Member
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chasing_rainbows     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi, this seems like an old topic but i just had to reply to it and share my happiness. im 16 right now, but i have the most wonderful boyfriend in the world. its been about 8 months now and we are together for life. hes perfectcus we're both christian and we're very sensible unlike most ppl my age, we abide by the rule the Bible gives us and we're evry happy together. We hope to get married when we're at university in about 4 years. i thank God everyday for bringing him to me. being in love is just the best!

--------------------
LIFTmeUPleadMEonLETmeDROPflyMEhome

*~*There's always light on the other side*~*

Posts: 37 | From: Carrickfergus, Northern Ireland | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Observable, that made me think!

Holiness- (set apart from the world and family and to each other and God) We are belssed to have this. So many marriges struggle because of the involvement of parents and family. We do not permit others to be part of the intimacy of our marriage...no meddling though well meaning mother in laws etc. I think this shows in oneness. Genesis 2:24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

Faithful: We are faithful to each other and to God unto death, not just in the sexual way, but in support of each other.

Singlemindedness: James 1:8 A double minded man is unstable in all his ways. Boy does this show and sometimes frustrates the heck out of our teens. We are one in Mind.

Servatude: We serve each other. We try very hard to leave ego and pride at the door. There are no battles about, who make the coffee, gets the other's plate, washes the clothes or the dishes, disiplines the children, pays the bills, keeps the check book etc. Observable? Yes, specially to our more worldly ego minded friends.

Submission to authority: I submit to my husband's authority, even when I think I know better. God has blessed me with understanding to do this. We each submit to the Lord. Our children are expected to submit to our authority, and they know well that the final word is always Dad's. Observable? Yes again especially to children, and more worldly minded female friends.

Christ Centeredness: Christ is the center of our home and first if you will in authority, then my husand and I, then our children. This is definetly hard for the world to understand. The worldview teaches that children are the center of the home. This can create great strife in the home especcially when kids are small, and moms forget about being wives because they are so busy being moms. My husband and I work hard to be first God's children, then husband and wife, then parents.

Honor: We honor each other; we never speak against the other to any living soul. Not even in jest. We beleve that couples when angry who complain about the other, or whine about the other to others bring dishonor to one another in the eyes of others. This damages our witness in the world. We don't do it. When we have a problem or argument we try to settle it together, we pray about it. If there is complaining to do it is done with God, in prayer. And He ususally sets us straight! This really probably only shows when you sit in a group of complainers and are silent. Or your friends get sick of hearing your edification of the other and want to puke because you never have any dirt to share. But it works for us!

Renewed mind: We do not dwell on what may be wrong with each other. We recognize only God can change a person and don't try to change each other. We focus on the things that are good with thanksgiving. Pray about the things that are not. This allows us to adore each other after many years and I think that is observable.

Forgiveness: We forgive each others sins and short comings, we don't hold grudges, we try to see each other as God see's each of us. This requires a lot of honesty and trust, a lot of laying down of self and flesh, A lot of thought about what really matters in the grand scheme of life. I am not sure it is observable except perhaps in our ability to be one...mind....body...spirit.

Unconditional Love: I think all of the above allow us to experience unconditional love for each other. To be each other's best friend, to understand that our committment to each other and marriage is not based on or dependent on who is right or wrong, good or bad, stronger or weaker,wealth or poverty, sickness or health... but on the love of Christ for each of us, and the love of Christ in each of us for each other.

Thanks for this opportunity today to remind myself How truely blessed I am.

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dayvd
Member # 200

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Dayvd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Ya'll,

I have a question, I'm not sure this is the best place to post it but..... here I am anyway.

My question is this. What 10 observerable characteristics does a wonderful Biblical marriage demonstrate? or.. to phrase it another way.... What Biblical characteristics do others notice in your marriage?

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement