Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Prayer   » Prayer Request   » dalit awakening

Author Topic: dalit awakening
Lost
Advanced Member
Member # 343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lost     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dalits Profess Faith in Christ at Dec. 6 Rally
12/09/02
[ top ]

Nearly 10,000 Dalits, India’s “outcastes,” were en route to publicly profess their faith in Christ at a December 6 conversion rally in Tamil Nadu. Before they could get there, however, police blocked their buses, beating and arresting people. Only 500 were able to attend the rally.

Although volunteers had set up nearly 3,000 chairs for the gathering, police destroyed what they had done and arrested 11 event organizers. The police left when international news media arrived, thus allowing the people present to profess their faith.

Three hundred more Dalit shoemakers later arrived to profess their faith in Christ, with their leader saying that over 800,000 others also would like to receive Christ. Dr. M.A. Thomas, chairman and founder of Emmanuel Mission International and Hopegivers International, encouraged all Dalits at the rally who wanted to come to Christ. As he was leaving, he heard about 60 more buses full of Dalits wanting to publicly proclaim their faith in Jesus. Though police had kept them from attending the rally, they invited Dr. Thomas to come to their town. Although he hasn’t been feeling well, Dr. Thomas didn’t hesitate to go there the next morning.

According to ASSIST News Service, Dr. Thomas spoke these words a month before the Tamil Nadu event. “On December 6, we can expect persecution--probably arrest and imprisonment. As the Apostle Paul said in the Book of Acts, chapter 20, verse 24, none of these things move me. I don’t count my life dear to me, and I want to finish my work with great joy. I am not even in good health, but if needed I will go to jail.”

Dr. Kancha Ilaiah, a prominent Indian human rights leader active in the Dalit movement, made it clear that the Dalits who have embraced Christianity and other non-caste based religions have not been forced in any way.

Praise the Lord for the thousands of Dalits whose hearts are being drawn to Christ as they search for freedom from their caste-based religion. Pray that the Lord will continue to open the eyes of the Dalits to the truth of the Gospel. Please also consider giving to help GFA air more radio broadcasts to reach these precious people with the Gospel message

please keep praying for this ministry and donate if God leads your heart at www.gfa.org. also recommend you check out the gospel for asia founder k.p. yohannan's book "revolution in world missions." i'm reading it right now and it's amazing!!

lost

--------------------
The Spirit and the bride say, "Come!" And let him who hears say, "Come!" Whoever is thirsty, let him come; and whoever wishes, let him take the free gift of the water of life. - Rev 22:17

Posts: 115 | From: Los Angeles/San Diego, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost
Advanced Member
Member # 343

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Lost     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
please pray for this event. the dalits are the untouchable caste in the hindu religious system. they are severly neglected and abused and they are realising how bankrupt hinduism is. they are tired and weary and are looking to other religions. please pray that they will embrace Christianity as there are some 300 million dalits across india. there will be a rally this friday for a large number of dalits with speakers from the Christian faith, islam, and buddhism. please pray that God opens their eyes and reveals the truth of Jesus Christ to them. read more at www.gfa.org

lost

Dalits Embrace Christianity
12/03/02
[ top ]

Thousands of Dalits are expected to turn to the Christian faith at a rally in Tamil Nadu on December 6. A group of Dalit leaders, including R. Tirumavalavan and T. Ranganathan, will play a big part in this event.

This comes just weeks after an anti-conversion law was passed in Tamil Nadu. This law makes it illegal to convert someone to another religious through the use of force, fraud, or allurement. Even the promise of spiritual blessings and eternal life could be grounds for accusation under this law.

In spite of the potential danger involved in having a gathering of mass conversion, Dr. D’Souza—President of the All India Christian Council—firmly supports the December 6 event. He remarked that the AICC had pledged solidarity to the Dalits in September 2001, adding that this would be kept—no matter what the obstacles.

“Once again, we salute the Dalit people for their incredible courage, and we realize that they have taken huge risks in launching this movement in Tamil Nadu. The local government can seriously violate fundamental rights and cause more problems, but the Dalits are determined and we join them and we welcome them and will receive them on December 6th. If they are willing to take the risk and pay the price, the church has no excuses but to also be willing to pay the price,” Dr. D’Souza said, quoted in a December 2 article from ASSIST News Service.

In addition to Christian leaders addressing the Tamil Nadu crowd at the rally, Buddhist leaders will also be speaking. Some Dalits are expected to convert to Buddhism at the event. At one location in Tamil Nadu, 100 Dalits have said they are turning to Islam.

In view of the anti-conversion law recently passed in Tamil Nadu, please pray for boldness for Christian leaders speaking December 6 at the rally. Pray that many Dalits will turn to the true and living God. [ Back to top ]

--------------------
The Spirit and the bride say, "Come!" And let him who hears say, "Come!" Whoever is thirsty, let him come; and whoever wishes, let him take the free gift of the water of life. - Rev 22:17

Posts: 115 | From: Los Angeles/San Diego, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement