Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Exposing False Teaching   » the resurrection did not occur on Sun-day! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: the resurrection did not occur on Sun-day!
John Hale
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you saying Tyndale the man or Tyndale the publishing house?

BTW neither trump the Bible.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Hale
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Carol Swenson:
TB125

I agree with you, and so does Tyndale:

Mark 15 (NLT)

42 This all happened on Friday, the day of preparation, the day before the Sabbath. As evening approached, 43 Joseph of Arimathea took a risk and went to Pilate and asked for Jesus’ body. (Joseph was an honored member of the high council, and he was waiting for the Kingdom of God to come.)

Mark 15:42-43 (KJV)
42 And now when the even was come, because it was the preparation, that is, the day before the sabbath,
43 Joseph of Arimathaea, an honourable counsellor, which also waited for the kingdom of God, came, and went in boldly unto Pilate, and craved the body of Jesus.

Passover is a shabbat
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabbath

John 19:14 (KJV)
14 And it was the preparation of the passover, and about the sixth hour: and he saith unto the Jews, Behold your King!

Because the Judean Passover began at sunset they hastened the death of the crucified... Jesus was already dead... Joseph of Arimathea sought the body of Jesus and hastily wrapped him and placed him in his own unused tomb before the sun set...

Remember also that Peter (who John Mark was the amanuenses for) was not the most literate in Greek (as his epistles bear out as well). And there is the school of thought that the account was written decades after the eyewitness accounts recorded. This is why there are slight inconsistencies (typical of multiple eyewitness accounts).

A verse in Mark misconstrued to mean the sixth day and even interpolated to say in a living translation "Friday" which is not even in the Greek text... is not the most reliable thing to go on.

Further, it is the amalgamating of all accounts that produces the clearest interpretation... otherwise you end up with denominations that never got past Acts 2... or that teach water baptism is essential for salvation... or that Jesus will do whatever we pray for if we pray "in Jesus' name" at the end of it.

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
becauseHElives

“After two days he will revive us; on the third day he will raise us up, that we may live before him” (Hosea 6:2).

Your opening article says:

quote:
The Messiah was crucified on a Thursday, just before the first day of unleavened bread.
Is this what you believe?

I don't know if you read this article. I wish you would if you haven't. I'm not trying to change what you believe, but if you read this you'll see that a lot of the arguments have already been answered.

http://biblelight.net/pasover.htm

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 15 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carol, Willmington can not be right ....Yahshua we know from scripture Crucifixion was in the afternoon....

Friday afternoon till Saturday afternoon is one day...and the women found Yahshua already missing early Sunday morning ...no 3 days there!

check out link

http://www.hebrew4christians.com/Holidays/Spring_Holidays/First_Fruits/first_fruits.html

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And Willmington:

The Friday Crucifixion

Statement of the view—Jesus predicted that he would die and be raised on the third day (Matt. 16:21; Mark 8:31; Luke 9:22). When one reads these events in the Gospels, one clearly receives the impression that Jesus rose on the third day. Jesus’ body was laid in the tomb on the evening of the day of preparation (Friday), the day before the Sabbath (Matt. 27:62; 28:1; Mark 15:42; Luke 23:54, 56; John 19:31, 42).

The women returned home and rested on the Sabbath (Saturday, Luke 23:56). Early on the first day of the week (Sunday), they went to the tomb (Matt. 28:1; Mark 16:1-2; Luke 24:1; John 20:1) which was empty. Furthermore, on the same day he arose from the grave, Jesus walked with two disciples on the road to Emmaus (Luke 24:21). This, then, points to his crucifixion as having occurred on Friday. With all this evidence, the only plausible conclusion is that Jesus was crucified on Friday and rose on Sunday.

“This view also fits well with Old Testament typology. On Monday, Nisan 10, Jesus presented himself as the Paschal lamb at the triumphal entry. On Nisan 14 he was sacrificed as the Paschal lamb (1 Cor. 5:7), and on Nisan 16 his resurrection was a type of the offering of First Fruits (1 Cor. 15:23). In conclusion, then, with the most natural reading of the New Testament, one would conclude that Jesus was crucified on Friday and was resurrected on Sunday. This is also the common consensus of the Church Fathers and scholars throughout church history, and it is the view generally accepted today.”

(Willmington's Complete Guide to Bible Knowledge: Life of Christ)

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

TB125

I agree with you, and so does Tyndale:

Mark 15 (NLT)

42 This all happened on Friday, the day of preparation, the day before the Sabbath. As evening approached, 43 Joseph of Arimathea took a risk and went to Pilate and asked for Jesus’ body. (Joseph was an honored member of the high council, and he was waiting for the Kingdom of God to come.)

John Hale
unregistered

Fine. then you go right on ahead arguing for the both of us.
TB125
Advanced Member
Member # 2450

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB125   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John,
You ask,
quote:
Won't you agree?
No, I don't agree. The same apostles and writers who recorded the words of Jesus are the same individuals who recorded the events associated with his death, burial, and resurrection. I don't think that they were wrong or lying in recording what he said or what happened to him during these days. The questions and problems are due to our various understandings of these records.

I think that Michael Scheifler has provided us with a fuller explanation of these statements, including appropriated details from the Old Testament writers, that go beyond just the different calendar calculations that you cite in your chart.

Any further discussion of this matter takes us into an arena of endless debating that is often a waste of time and words.I'm sure that you believe that your perspective on this series of events is right and that anyone who presents a different perspective is wrong. Perhaps your critical perspective on Roman Catholicism has clouded your perspective on what the biblical records actually say about these events. I don't know.

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 449 | From: Rockford Illinois | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Hale
unregistered

Yes, I've read this. And I already stated that this individual (like most) do not consider the three reckonings of the calendar.

Sorry. Events lasting only one day and a half (one day two nights) makes the Lord Jesus out to be a liar or an exaggerator or just wrong.

Matthew 12:39-40 three days three nights and the Bible repeatedly says he rose on that third day (daytime) and Friday / Saturday / Sunday counts his time on the cross as in the tomb time, in some cases his trials and even his time in Gethsemane... these are all quite a stretch to perpetuate the human tradition set forth by Roman Catholicism.

So, if you have a Lord who gets things wrong... who exaggerates or lies... then we've got bigger problems than what day of the week he was crucified.

Won't you agree?

TB125
Advanced Member
Member # 2450

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB125   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John,
After some more careful study of this matter, I have concluded that Michael Scheifler has the correct calendar chronological explanation for the events of Jesus' supper, trial and crucifixion and burial, entombment, and resurrection in his statement on his website at http://biblelight.net/pasover.htm. I believe that Jesus was crucified and buried on Friday, the day of preparation, before the double high-day Sabbath on Saturday, and that he rose from his tomb sometime early on Sunday, which was the "third day" after his burial.

There are some basic calendar differences between the chart that you cite with your explanation of these events and the concluding chart that he cites along with the biblical texts that seem to clearly support his conclusions.

This is obviously a challenging matter for a lot of Christians, and apparently many of them historically haven't been able to clearly understand all of the details in the biblical records regarding these events.

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 449 | From: Rockford Illinois | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TB125
Advanced Member
Member # 2450

John,
Thanks for the corrections that you have made in the format for your chart. I have been able to print a copy of it and your textual explanation of this event in respect to the three calendars that can be used to cite the timing of what happened to Jesus during these five days.

In spite of the chart and your explanation, I find that it is still somewhat difficult to understand the exact calendar references for the series of events that we recognize as Jesus "last supper", his arrest and trial, his crucifixion and burial, the entombment of his body, and his resurrection.

Apparently you believe that Jesus was crucified on Wednesday and buried before sunset on that day. That means that he was in the tomb part of that one day, Wednesday. Then his body was in the tomb for both the evening and daily light hours of Thursday and Friday. But then the actual calendar reference for his resurrection becomes unclear to me. You indicate that "he rose on the third daytime...". That seems to indicate to me that he was in the tomb parts of 4 days and 3 nights. So I'm still somewhat confused about this schedule of events. I'll study your chart and explanation more thoroughly. Maybe I can clearly figure this out. Thanks for your help with this.

--------------------
Bob

John Hale
unregistered

Interesting to note the Hebrew calendar is also a lunar calendar with a different interpretation / reckoning than the Babylonian.

Israel did come originally from that land (Abram of Ur / Chaldeans). Who was called apart.

this reminds me how in the last times the one who is typically called antichrist (more accurately false messiah) will lead Israel (who rejected the genuine Messiah) to a form of Judaism that lauds him as "Christ":

Daniel 9:27
27 And he shall confirm the (old) covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

And in Zechariah 5:5-11 shall revert to the plains of shinar (Babylon) first built by Nimrod (Satan's "Moses") which is why it is Babylon in the end that is the Mystery.

But that's another topic for the end times thread.

I only noted it here because our adherence to things Babylonian (days, calendars, time as in seconds-minutes-hours and the aramaic origin of our writing and numbers) means the stage for the end times has been a long time being set.

Satan is not in a league with God by any means (certainly not power or ability). But he is not to be underestimated. He is the great deceiver / confuser of all things.

Look at how these things already cloud up interpretations on what day of the week the genuine Messiah was crucified.

John Hale
unregistered

Error corrected... for those who copied the chart previously...

I corrected both copies of the chart. Specifically the Egyptian reckoning was also from sunrise to sunrise (Rah the sun god country) which influenced the later Roman (Constantine the sun worshipper etc. And the Babylonian midnight to midnight was in reckoning of the moon god al ylah which had a bigger effect on Greece than Rome but the Greeks still reckoned a day from sun up to sun up for the sake of practicality in the Helenistic / Alexandrian practice of universal protocols for language and commerce.

Sorry I was so rusty in putting together the chart so off the cuff. As all the updates showed over the last few days it was a working progress. But I believe it is in the final state now and is free to be copied under the "freely you have received-- freely give command.

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
S'ok. I've done the same thing. I love charts and pictures.

So, back to the topic?.. [Cross]

Was Jesus crucified on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?

What follows is a chronology of the events surrounding the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus Christ presented in a plausible and logical way in an effort to resolve that question.

http://biblelight.net/pasover.htm

John Hale
unregistered

Thanks.

It appears to have shrunk with either your edit or the way technology catches up eventually to edits I did. I did too many pixels originally. Sorry.

John Hale
unregistered

Better?

It's an image (photo) chart so it will not copy as a word chart.

I don't think...

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

TB125

If John reduces or removes the charts, then the text will return to normal.

TB125
Advanced Member
Member # 2450

Carol,
Thanks for this explanation of the problem. The link that you cite does display the banner for his article in a normal format, but I don't know about the display for the text. So I'm still not going to try to print this article. Keep me posted regarding this matter.

--------------------
Bob

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Hi TB125

The charts that John is using are too big.

They have distorted the formatting on this thread.

I hope John will consider posting just the link to the charts instead.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Ef_au-iBdG4/S7idkKbS-NI/AAAAAAAAAHw/KzhTBtNsb-A/s1600/Passion+Week777.jpg

TB125
Advanced Member
Member # 2450

Hello,
Why is this thread being displayed in a wider format than the others in this forum? Why can't I get it restored to a normal format? I have rebooted my computer, and I still have this problem. Would someone please correct this display problem or tell me what I need to do on my computer to get a normal display of this thread?

--------------------
Bob

TB125
Advanced Member
Member # 2450

John,
Thank you for this explanation of this matter. I would like to print a complete copy of your statement, but it isn't displayed in a format that I can print. Even putting it into a "landscape" view and shrinking the text "to fit" doesn't allow everything to be printed. Please repost your statement in a format that one can copy and print. Thanks.

--------------------
Bob

John Hale
unregistered

Wednesday night Jesus arrested after Seder. Tried and beaten throughout the night. Condemned the next morning and crucified until nearly 6 PM that evening (he died around 3 PM).

He was taken from the cross and placed in the tomb after being wrapped hastily before the sunset.

BTW, Joseph of Arimathea and any who helped him would have to miss that Passover Seder until the "make up" Passover Seder the following month for having handled a dead body seven days prior to official Seder. Numbers 19:11 Numbers 9:6-11

Thursday night / morning ...in anticipation of the day of preparation day the Pharisees had Pilate place a guard on the tomb (which prevented the women from bringing the spices to anoint the body of Jesus...

Friday night through Saturday evening at sunset no activity Israel kept preparation day and shabbat... the women then brought the spices while it was dark...

Why did they wait so long?

If you think of it the whole thing was not well thought out. Before they got there they realized they could not move the rolling stone... it is unclear if they thought they could talk the Roman guard into allowing them to enter the tomb... and they apparently did not know that the tomb was sealed with a Roman seal in wax (the breaking of which would mean the death of the soldiers or that they would be fugitives of State).

So you see... there was a lot going on here... and a lot of misgivings and confusion which the Bible accounts simply record as historic events without commentary.

Among the other mistakes made was the fact that Jesus told all his followers he would raise from the dead... farthest thing from all their minds... so his body would not se decay (as prophesied) which the followers were oblivious off (no need of spices)...

And the risen Lord was mistaken to be the gardener by at least one of the women who came that evening to anoint his body.

The point is look at the mess and confusion human reasoning creates. Don't use it. Use God's reasoning. Compare Matthew 16:17 with Matthew 16:23.

John Hale
unregistered

-

Note that the resurrection took place on the third DAY (daytime).

Friday, Saturday, Sunday when taken into Jewish account would mean his body was actually in the tomb "in the heart of the earth" two nights and one day.

Wednesday through the evening of Saturday / Sunday at sunset fits the bill. And the points of question fall back once again on western thinking.

14 Nisan at sunset Jesus keeps Passover Seder with his disciples according to what is then referred to as the Galilean interpretation. Rabbis made the 15 Nisan date official because the language was unclear in the Torah and seemed to combine the Passover Seder with the Feast of Matzoh (unleavened bread). This is how Jesus was able to keep Passover and the next day be crucified on Passover before the official Seder was kept (to expedite taking down his body and burying it... as Roman crucifixions could last as long as six days).

15 Nisan the Seder / feast of Matzoh begins and the actual sabbath is over but it is night time. The next day (on the Jewish calendar) would be the day of preparation Friday... but remember the sunset - sunset thinking of the Jews so when it said the next day was the day of preparation...

Matthew 27:62
62 Now the next day, that followed the day of the preparation**, the chief priests and Pharisees came together unto Pilate,

**since Friday is the weekly day of Preparation for Shabbat it could not also be the day after an alleged Friday crucifixion.

Was this meeting on the day of Preparation or the day that Preparation day would follow?

You see... don't let human understanding and the imperfection of human communication "rationalize" away what the Lord himself said... three days three nights...

three nighttimes
three daytimes
and he rose on the third daytime...

at the sunset beginning / dawning the new first day of the new week... reckoned as SUN day to Romans to Jews the 1st day of the week and an 8th day in counting (8 = new beginning) when Jesus ascended to heaven to keep the presentation / waiving of the firstfruits in heaven.

Leviticus 23:9-15
9 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
10 Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, When ye be come into the land which I give unto you, and shall reap the harvest thereof, then ye shall bring a sheaf of the firstfruits of your harvest unto the priest:
11 And he shall wave the sheaf before the LORD, to be accepted for you: on the morrow after the sabbath the priest shall wave it.
12 And ye shall offer that day when ye wave the sheaf an he lamb without blemish of the first year for a burnt offering unto the LORD.
13 And the meat offering thereof shall be two tenth deals of fine flour mingled with oil, an offering made by fire unto the LORD for a sweet savour: and the drink offering thereof shall be of wine, the fourth part of an hin.
14 And ye shall eat neither bread, nor parched corn, nor green ears, until the selfsame day that ye have brought an offering unto your God: it shall be a statute for ever throughout your generations in all your dwellings.
15 And ye shall count unto you from the morrow after the sabbath, from the day that ye brought the sheaf of the wave offering; seven sabbaths shall be complete:

The Barley Harvest was also going on at the time. And thus the feast of the firstfruits.

3 overlapping feasts with two interpretations of one of them.

BTW the Galilean Seder was considered inferior by officiating Judaism... but was tolerated because it helped with the over crowding problems in Jerusalem. Amazing how God works through people and situations despite the opposition.

John Hale
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by TB125:
Here is a very complete article that explains the time sequence of Jesus death and burial and resurrection. It is entitled "Was Jesus crucified on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?". You can find it here: http://biblelight.net/pasover.htm check it out.

The flaw with the conclusion of the site is the misinformation given at certain points which does not take into account the three reckonings of the 24 hour day (Hebrew, Egyptian-Greco-Roman, AND Babylonian {which we use today}).

Also, the scripture passages referring to the first day of the week "dawning" is Hebrew thinking using Greek language idioms translated (eventually) into English.

John Hale
unregistered

Several things were in play here.

The devil could not prevent God's plans but he did what he could to corrupt the people to get them off course. This is what Jesus spoke of in the Sermon on the mount as the seed that was carried off by birds or choked by weeds which he later expounded as the evil doctrines and seed of tares in the goodly field of wheat.

To the point that the very people, tribe, clan, course, office of high priest who should have been the second witness (along with John the Baptist) lauding the Savior... actually opposed him and sought how he could be put to death on several occasions.

After his death, resurrection, and ascension, then came the linchpin to the plan of the devil... since he could not prevent Christianity he would keep it isolated from Judaism as much as possible through the Pharisaical Doctrines and persecution of the Church until the variances between the two were beyond generational ties or the initial Jewish element (the apostles and original disciples).

This would also keep Christianity in underground mode just to survive. Councils and canonization were out of the question until Christianity was legalized and believers could come out of the shadows.

Enter Constantine with his ulterior motives. He and his mother undertook the adaptation of Christianity to bolster the Empire and making it more palatable for the predominate sun worship religion of the Empire.

This was essentially the birth of Roman ecumenicism (practiced in Roman Catholicism to this very day)... where the "Church" in one part of the world is more in tune to the local pagan and secular practices than in other parts. This is how pagan practices were adopted into Roman Catholicism to appease conquered "evangelized" or "ecuemicalized" religions...

Druid tree worship influenced the Christmas tree / Yule log... The Astarte fertility cult with eggs and rabbits (Easter).

In time, the Roman Empire morphed into the Roman Catholic Church. And the shell of the Empire collapsed in on itself.

John Hale
unregistered

- Sun worship in India

"Although Constantine was one of the greatest influences in promoting the Christian faith, he is also credited with infiltrating it with pagan practices, and bringing idols into the church. While Christianity was growing in popularity, sun worship or Mithraism remained strong in the empire. Sun worshipers were converted to Christianity because of their surface similarities, practices, and analogies such as “the sun of righteousness” which were later implemented into the church.

Mithra, the sun god was celebrated in the solar paganism and their day of rest and worship was on the day of the sun. Constantine issued laws conflicting with the fourth commandment, changing the day of worship from Sabbath to Sunday to coincide with the sun worship day of rest. Constantine’s motives for promoting the pagan influences on Christianity are not certain. His mutual compensation was possibly for political purposes of gaining favor or out of ignorance of the laws of the Bible. One mystery is The Arch of Constantine, built to honor his triumph in the name of God. The monument displays no symbolic relevance to God, but does have images of Mithra."

Constantine the Great

John Hale
unregistered

-

This is the fractured condition of the Roman Empire at the time of (sun worshiper) Emperor Constantine.

His sudden affinity towards illegal Christianity was for its cohesiveness (which his crumbling Empire lacked).

John Hale
unregistered

We have to remember several factors... the NT accounts were written in Greek but by Hebrew authors (Hebrew thinking). A Roman or Greek saw a 24 hour day from sunrise to sunrise. Our Babylonian thinking is from midnight to midnight. But the Hebrew way of thinking is from sunset to sunset.

Ever wonder why? Why was the Jewish day begun at sunset? It was itself prophetic of the greatest countdown of all history... even greater than the 70 Weeks of Daniel... when the Son of man would rise from the dead... 3 days 3 nights beginning at his being entombed... at sunset.

And he rose at the end of Shabbat (the Sabbath) at the beginning of the first day of the week (Hebrew thinking... at sunset). Greek thinking puts it at sunrise... and inserts the word "dawning" as in the dawning of the first day of the week (which is as I said to the Jewish mind the dawn of a new day is at sunset)...

John Hale
unregistered

-
TB125
Advanced Member
Member # 2450

Here is a very complete article that explains the time sequence of Jesus death and burial and resurrection. It is entitled "Was Jesus crucified on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?". You can find it here: http://biblelight.net/pasover.htm check it out.

--------------------
Bob

John Hale
unregistered

Matthew 12:39-40
39 But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:
40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale’s belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Three days
Three nights

Friday on cross from 9 AM to 3 PM placed in tomb by 6 PM there till dawn (about 6 AM) Sunday is not three days and three nights no matter how you try to make it so.

Brother Paul
Advanced Member
Member # 7959

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brother Paul   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry...it was Anicetus!

Paul

Posts: 235 | From: Cambridge, MA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brother Paul
Advanced Member
Member # 7959

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brother Paul   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree! The Apostles never had "Sun-day" in mind at any time (until maybe after Constantine the Sun worshipper). The day He rose was the 1st day of the week, which is also an 8th day following the 7th day Sabbath on the feast of Firstfruits (Him being the firstfruits from the dead). Definitely had nothing to do with the Sun.

Likewise the original Church observed the Paschal Feast (from pesach for Passover). The Acts 12 Easter is actually referrring to the feast of Unleavened Bread which obviously the Apostle's still practiced (with new significance and meaning). Whether or not they required the gentiles to do this is never indicated, however, the Roman church when Polycarp was an old man tried to impose the Sunday following the first spring full moon to be observed by the entire church as the Resurrection day. The Bishops of the east refused and maintained their practice of celebrating the Pascha (celebrating His death till He comes) on the 14th of Nisan (the Passover redefined by Christ) believing we celebrate the resurrection every week when we gather on the 1st day of the week.

Polycarp declared this the tradition handed down from the Apostles (he himself was a student of John). He even went to Rome to discuss this with Anecletus (I may have his name wrong). Though they parted in disagreement not being under the law they would not divide the unity of the Spirit and continued to love one another and see each other as brothers in Christ.

The disagreement continued up to the time of Victor (the first to insist on Rome's primacy) and Polycrates who defends the Apostle's tradition of the Pascha and is anathematized by Victor (an excommunication no one else recognized). Later in the 2nd century we hear Melito still defending the Pascha against desenting gentile Bishops.

After Constantine's legally divorcing the gentile chruch from all it's Jewish roots (including outlawing Sabbath observnace at Nicea)all this changed and any who held to the Paschal feast on the day of Passover were officially deemed heretics.

Sometime later the 1st day of the week adopted the Roman designation "Sunday" or the day of the Sun. The Romish politically connected hierarchy defended this with the Scripture that defines Christ as "The Sun of Rightewousness".

Now please do not call me a Roman Catholic basher, because I hold to more doctrinal understandings in common with the Catholic (Roman and Orthodox) than with most evangelical protestants, though I am ordained as an evangelical teaching minister (non-pastoral).

The Lord lead us all in the way He would have us to go...

Brother Paul

Posts: 235 | From: Cambridge, MA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the resurrection did not occur on Sun-day!

Pagan Easter

If you look up the word "Easter" in Webster's dictionary. You will find:
"AS. (Anglo-Saxon), from name of an old Teuton goddess of spring".

The word " Easter " does not mean , "resurrection of Christ". This name " Easter "was never used in the original Scriptures, nor is it ever associated biblical with the death and resurrection of The Hebrew Messiah .The name "Easter" is merely the slightly changed English spelling of the name of an ancient pagan Assyrian goddess named Ishtar, which was pronounced by the Assyrians ,exactly, as we pronounce "Easter ". The Babylonian name of this Pagan goddess was Astarte, the consort of Baal, the Sun god, whose worship is denounced by The Almighty YHWH , in the Bible as one of the most abominable of all pagan idolatry.

For more than 1700 years the western world has been taught that Christ rose from the dead on Sun-day morning. But that's a Lie , the resurrection did not occur on Sun-day!

The Messiah was crucified on a Thursday, just before the first day of unleavened bread. That Sabbath was a high day (John 19:31), the day before the high days was considered to be a preparation day, it was that day, not Friday, that The Messiah was crucified on. If Christians and Catholics , would keep Passover the Holy Days, They would realize that.

For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth" (Matt. 12:39-40).
"three days and three nights" (72 hours) The Church teaches, the Messiah before sunset on "Good Friday" afternoon, Died, and resurrected early Sunday morning. That's only two nights and one day (36 hours) That A Lie According To The Messiah Yahshua Words. The Messiah said, He would rise "AFTER three days" (Mark 8:31)

Hot cross bun
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"In many historically Christian countries, buns are traditionally eaten on Good Friday, with the cross standing as a symbol of the crucifixion. They are believed by some to pre-date Christianity, although the first recorded use of the term "hot cross bun" is not until 1733;[1] it is believed that buns marked with a cross were eaten by Saxons in honor of the goddess Eostre (the cross is thought to have symbolized the four quarters of the moon);[2] 'Eostre' is probably the origin of the name 'Easter'.[1] Others claim that the Greeks marked cakes with a cross, much earlier.[3] Cakes were certainly baked in honor of deities since very ancient times,"

The Hebrew word for "cakes" as Jeremiah originally wrote it is "kavvan," and really means "BUNS." It is used nowhere else in the Bible, except Jeremiah 44:19, where again, the same idolatrous worship to the pagan queen of the heaven is mentioned. Every other place in the Bible where the English word "cakes' is used, a different Hebrew word was used in the original.

Jeremiah 44 :19
King James Bible
And when we burned incense to the queen of heaven, and poured out drink offerings unto her, did we make her cakes to worship her, and pour out drink offerings unto her, without our men?

Why would anyone, who believe themselves to be a Christians, dye eggs at Easter? Do Bunnies lay color eggs ? On the day commemorating Christ's resurrection, Christians roll decorated eggs and hide it ,on the lawn ,and pretend the Easter rabbit hid them???. This pagan ritual is even practiced at some churches.The BIBLE does not ordained, or commands, to follow heathen custom . Then WHY SHOULD YOU DO IT ? Why follow heathenism and try to conceive yourself you are a Christian ? YHWH calls such things ABOMINATION!
Painted pagan eggs, Easter baskets, yellow marshmallow chickens ,new clothes , is this what The Messiah Death ,means to you .

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement