Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Exposing False Teaching   » Combating Legalism in the Church

Author Topic: Combating Legalism in the Church
Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very good Carol, [hug]
thank you.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Found in Him   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Becausehelives writes...Psalm 66:18
If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me.

I rejoice in that I am blessed to have a personal relationship with the Lord. I spoke with Him this morning and He answered me. You see, He abides Becausehelives. He abides with His people in their heart.

I wonder if He is fond of the idea of someone calling or assuming one of His own a sinner??

quote:
for this reason Yahweh command continually be searching for the leaven in your lives and remove it when it is found
When The Holy Spirit is present, He convicts us of sin, correct? Would it be a fair statement to say that you think I am without Him or His convicting power?

quote:

Pagan influence is a cancer in the Body of Christ!

Jesus said that the gates of hell would not prevail against the church. It is His church remember?? Why not let Him Lord over it as it is His???

quote:

Some people think we can do what we want and still experience God's favor

Was this meant for "those who celebrate their Risen Lord on Easter" God's favor rests on whomsoever He wishes. Not whosoever you 'think' it rests upon. Correct?

quote:
but at the same time I have to take the whole counsel of Yahweh not the parts I like, that make me feel good
Would it be a fair statement that you feel that we don't take the whole counsel of God into account?

--------------------
~To Him That is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy...to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.~ Jude 24

Posts: 1503 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
O Holy Night
Christmas Carol Lyrics

O holy night! The stars are brightly shining,
It is the night of the dear Saviour's birth.
Long lay the world in sin and error pining.
Till He appeared and the Spirit felt its worth.
A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices,
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn.
Fall on your knees! Oh, hear the angel voices!
O night divine, the night when Christ was born;
O night, O holy night, O night divine!
O night, O holy night, O night divine!

Led by the light of faith serenely beaming,
With glowing hearts by His cradle we stand.
O'er the world a star is sweetly gleaming,
Now come the wisemen from out of the Orient land.
The King of kings lay thus lowly manger;
In all our trials born to be our friends.
He knows our need, our weakness is no stranger,
Behold your King! Before him lowly bend!
Behold your King! Before him lowly bend!

Truly He taught us to love one another,
His law is love and His gospel is peace.
Chains he shall break, for the slave is our brother.
And in his name all oppression shall cease.
Sweet hymns of joy in grateful chorus raise we,
With all our hearts we praise His holy name.
Christ is the Lord! Then ever, ever praise we,
His power and glory ever more proclaim!
His power and glory ever more proclaim!

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Easter Joy

Jesus came to earth,
To show us how to live,
How to put others first,
How to love and how to give.

Then He set about His work,
That God sent Him to do;
He took our punishment on Himself;
He made us clean and new.

He could have saved Himself,
Calling angels from above,
But He chose to pay our price for sin;
He paid it out of love.

Our Lord died on Good Friday,
But the cross did not destroy
His resurrection on Easter morn
That fills our hearts with joy.

Now we know our earthly death,
Like His, is just a rest.
We'll be forever with Him
In heaven, where life is best.

So we live our lives for Jesus,
Think of Him in all we do.
Thank you Savior; Thank you Lord.
Help us love like you!

By Joanna Fuchs

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It does not matter where Easter or Christmas came from. It matters what we do with it, now. God can taken broken clay and turn it into something beautiful.
Nearly everything in society today has pagan influences in them. Celebrating Easter and Christmas is not a cancer. As I have explained if it was wrong then the devil would not be fighting so hard to ban Christmas and Easter. The devil knows that Easter and Christmas still turns many people's hearts towards God. This is why he is fighting so hard to make them illegal.
Your comments have made it quite clear that you feel superior because you do not celebrate.

Col 2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath [days]:

Easter and Christmas are Holy Day to many of us.
I choose not to allow you to be my judge but God.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 18 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Some people think we can earn God's favor by refraining from doing things.
I have stated over and over and over again Salvation is not earn, I am not preaching anyone is ever good enough to merit Yahweh Love by their actions...

but at the same time I have to take the whole counsel of Yahweh not the parts I like, that make me feel good.....

"Wherefore I take you to record this day, that I am pure from the blood of all men. For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God."--Acts xx. 26,27.

Psalm 66:18
If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me:

here another way to read you statement Betty....

Some people think we can do what we want and still experience God's favor .

A little leaven, leaven the whole lump...

for this reason Yahweh command continually be searching for the leaven in your lives and remove it when it is found.....

How much cancer would you have a physician remove from your body if cancer were discovered in your body?

Pagan influence is a cancer in the Body of Christ!

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Some people think we can earn God's favor by refraining from doing things. The problem with this attitude and I have dealt with such people all my life, is they begin to think they are superior then other Christians because of what they do not do. The Bible makes it clear all our righteousness is but filthy rags to God. Not celebrating Easter or Christmas does not make one more spiritual nor does celebrating make you more spiritual.
God sees the heart, man does not.
Legalistic Christians are often miserable people who want to drag others into their miseries. Because they cannot accept that God loves them as they are they are constantly trying to buy their way into Heaven. It is an impossible way to get to Heaven by works so legalistic people are unhappy and deserve our pity and compassion.
betty

--------------------

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saint Nicholas

more influence of the Roman Catholic Wh!ore!

he might have been a wonderful person I don't know...

he could have also been another Roman Catholic Wh!ore priest pedophile that molested children!

What I do know for absolute certain 100% is all that has to do with Easter and Christ-mass are of pagan origins....

and I know it is one thing to do something and not have understanding that it is an abomination to Yahweh and Yahweh completely understand

but I also understand when Yahweh allows our understanding to be opened to Truth , we become responsible for that Truth!

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Found in Him   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Galatians 5:1 It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery.

Praise God we are free!

Those who see legalism for what it is are free from it's yoke of slavery! Do not allow yourselves to be enslaved again...

If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed. John 8:36

We are free indeed!

--------------------
~To Him That is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy...to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.~ Jude 24

Posts: 1503 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

-

As Keifer noted in today's verse:

Hosea 10:12 (NLT)

I said, ‘Plant the good seeds of righteousness, and you will harvest a crop of love. Plow up the hard ground of your hearts, for now is the time to seek the LORD, that he may come and shower righteousness upon you.’

Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Thank you Carol. Every Christmas and every Easter the world fights to leave these Holidays out of Schools, Jobs, and Government buildings. If these were not legitimate Christian Holidays, then why is the devil fighting against them so much? The devil is not trying to get rid of Labor Day.
As our Associate Pastor's wife said, we are not worshiping Easter Eggs, but Jesus. This does not mean we cannot give our kids Easter eggs, just make it clear that Jesus is the reason we celebrate Easter. Everything we buy is not spiritual. We buy newspapers. We buy lots of things that are not spiritual. Just make it clear to your children that Christmas and Easter is about Jesus.
betty

--------------------

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Saint Nicholas (Greek: Άγιος Νικόλαος , Agios Nikolaos, "victory of the people") (270 - 6 December 346) is the common name for Nicholas of Myra, a saint and Bishop of Myra (in Lycia, part of modern-day Turkey). Because of the many miracles attributed to his intercession, he is also known as Nicholas the Wonderworker. He had a reputation for secret gift-giving , such as putting coins in the shoes of those who left them out for him, and thus became the model for Santa Claus, whose English name comes from the German Sankt Niklaus. His reputation evolved among the faithful, as is common for early Christian saints .[2] In 1087, his relics were furtively translated to Bari, in southern Italy; for this reason, he is also known as Nicholas of Bari.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Nicholas

Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

BecauseHeLives.

Santa Clause is not total darkness. The spirit of Santa Clause a real person who did good for children.
I grew up believing in Santa and it did not keep me from becoming saved at 7. I knew early on that Santa was nice but Jesus died for me.

There are gray areas in teaching. Some teach women cannot wear pants, some do not. Some teach women cannot cut their hair or wear jewelry.
The Pharisees made so many rules that the Jews could not keep them. Jesus, Himself came down hard on the Jews for their legalism.

I know a family who attends a Church where legalism reigns. In fact it is my Aunt. Her kids will not speak to anyone who does not go to their denomination. My grandmother told me when I about 7 or 8 that my parents were going to hell because they wore wedding rings. So don't tell me that legalism doesn't exist, today.

The problem comes when people want to decide themselves who are saved and who is not. They judge a CHRISTIANS's salvation over whether they celebrate Christmas or Easter. This is a sin to judge a Christian over days of the week.

It is not the celebration of Holidays that defines one salvation, it is the condition of the heart. The Bible says that the Holy Spirit seals us up to the day of redemption. It does not say we are sealed unless we celebrate Easter or Christmas.

Legalism is a tool of the devil to make salvation no longer about Jesus' blood but about works and deeds. We cannot earn our salvation and to teach such a doctrine is a lie from the devil.

Stop tearing up the children of God and accept that some of your brothers and sisters will celebrate the birth and Resurrection of Jesus.
Stop trying to add to the Bible rules for salvation. That is not your job.
Jesus determines who is saved, you do not.
betty

--------------------

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 15 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there are no gray areas with Yahweh, it is all black or white!

abortion- it is black you will not find Yahweh there....

birth control- it black you will not find Yahweh there...

HALLOWEEN....total darkness Yahweh has nothing to do with pagans...

SANTA CLAUS......total darkness Yahweh says all liars will have their part in he lake of fire....

LANGUAGE......it is total darkness to use Yahweh's name in vain

.........all darkness is sin, but praise Yahweh there is total forgiveness when we repent and turn from the darkness to the light

Jam 1:17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.

yep I guess you all would consider me a legalistic.....

but in reality legalism only applies when Legalism is alleged against any view that obedience to law, not faith in God's grace, is the pre-eminent principle of redemption.

But the Apostle Paul make it extremely clear we confirm and establish and uphold the Law.

Romans 3
Do we then by [this] faith make the Law of no effect, overthrow it or make it a dead letter? Certainly not! On the contrary, we confirm and establish and uphold the Law.

Yahshua also made it clear.....Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach [them], the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

the opposite error of legalism is antinomianism, which is alleged against a view that moral laws are not binding.

antinomianism.....Theology.... The doctrine or belief that the Gospel frees Christians from required obedience to any law, whether scriptural, civil, or moral, and that salvation is attained solely through faith and the gift of divine grace.

I pray you desire Truth more than tradition...

like I said to Eden... all that matters is the condition of your heart...

the heart that is right with Yahweh, is quick to repent of any wrong action what ever it maybe when revealed by the Holy Spirit....

if the Law is not written on your heart and you do not have the ability to obey the Law you need to get saved.... it is that simple!

like Yahshua told Nicodemus .... you must be Born Again!

and the Lamb of Yahweh made it possible!

I think it important to be as complete with an answer as possible (sometime it comes across legalistic) but there is so much false teaching and pagan infiltration in the Church today....

--------------------

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

TB125

Thank you. As always, it's a pleasure to hear from you.

Thank you also for your kind letter during my absence. I hope everything is going well for you.

I am thrilled to see that your website is doing great. I see that you have many new comments in your guestbook!

God bless you and all your family.

And for any who don't know, TB125's website is at:

http://christianityetc.org

TB125
Advanced Member
Member # 2450

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB125   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Carol,
It is really good to see you back on the Board. I think that you have been missed. Your insights are greatly needed and appreciated. May God continue to be good to you.

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 449 | From: Rockford Illinois | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Found in Him   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Sister Carol And you get the same for your "Son of Man" post and comments above! [clap2]

--------------------

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

The Christian who lives by faith is not going to become a rebel. Quite the contrary, he is going to experience the inner discipline of God that is far better than the outer discipline of man-made rules. No man could become a rebel who depends on God’s grace, yields to God’s Spirit, lives for others, and seeks to glorify God. The legalist is the one who eventually rebels, because he is living in bondage, depending on the flesh, living for self, and seeking the praise of men and not the glory of God.

Paul’s doctrine of Christian liberty through grace is not the dangerous doctrine. It is legalism that is the dangerous doctrine, because legalism attempts to do the impossible: change the old nature and make it obey the Laws of God. Legalism succeeds for a short time, and then the flesh begins to rebel. The surrendered Christian who depends on the power of the Spirit is not denying the Law of God, or rebelling against it. Rather, that Law is being fulfilled in him through the Spirit (Rom. 8:1-4).

1. I have been set free by Christ. I am no longer under bondage to the Law (Gal. 5:1-12).

2. But I need something—Someone—to control my life from within. That Someone is the Holy Spirit (Gal. 5:13-26).

3. Through the Spirit’s love, I have a desire to live for others, not for self (Gal. 6:1-10).

4. This life of liberty is so wonderful, I want to live it to the glory of God; for He is the One making it possible (Gal. 6:11-18).

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

You got a gold star!

Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

I do agree with the majority of what is written above. The one thing especially-- That true Christianity is based on an individual relationship with The Lord Jesus Christ and that is a life of liberty in holiness, not in the flesh. The heart of Christianity is a personal walk with The Lord via the born again experience. Each is accountable to The Lord. Each has the circumcision of the heart by the infilling of The Spirit. Each has a conscience that God works and convicts through.

For me personally, this "drawing the line" in what I do or do not allow is the allowing or trusting The Lord to teach and guide me through the scriptures.

What say you?

--------------------

Found in Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7596

Walking the Thin Line: Combating Legalism in the Church - Carey Hardy

INTRODUCTION

In any local church, there may be many different races and cultures represented, many different life situations and backgrounds, varying social positions and vocations that are being pursued, different levels of intellect, kinds of church backgrounds, and many different levels of spiritual maturity.

There's nothing wrong with that. In fact, the church was never meant to be a cozy club of likeminded people of one race or social position or intellectual caliber. Christians don't have to be clones of one another, identical in all respects.

But this is one of the challenges the body of Christ has always faced-that included in its membership universally, and sometimes locally, are the rich and the poor, those from every stratum of society, the old and the young, various races, and people of every expression of personality.

Many other types of groups are not like this. Many other groupings in society we know are more limited in their membership. But the church is not to be limited based upon the kinds of categories and characteristics mentioned-variety is a good thing.

But this variety can put a strain on us all. There can be tensions. So the obvious question at some point is: How are we to coexist within a local fellowship when we may be so different from one another?

We know from Scripture that we are to get along with one another. UNITY in the body is a serious issue to the Lord. In fact, many passages are devoted to this issue.

Eph. 4:2-3 ... relate to one another with all humility and gentleness, with
patience, showing forbearance to one another in love, being diligent to preserve the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.

Phil. 4:2 ...live in harmony in the Lord.

2 Cor. 12:20 A warning to us ... Paul discusses some of the issues possibly going on in the Corinthian church and appeals to them to repent:

For I am afraid that perhaps when I come... there may be strife, jealousy, angry tempers, disputes, slanders, gossip, arrogance, disturbances...

John MacArthur, when preaching on this passage, terms this list "Sins of Disunity." And these sins can be the reason for church discipline if someone is guilty of them and doesn't repent.

One of the greatest concerns elders should have, therefore, is that unity be maintained in the body. Disunity is destructive.

There is another aspect related to this issue of unity in the church ... another category of discussion concerning the ability of believers to get along with one another.

We may not be of the same race, or social status, or level of intellect, etc., and we shouldn't let those issues divide us. But the focus of this seminar is not on those categories of difference. Instead, we will look at the need for all Christians to properly relate to other Christians who don't share the same convictions on certain issues.

The habit of many in the church is to judge other believers based upon their own convictions and views of the Christian life. In addition, the tendency is to form these convictions based upon very rigid-and sometimes inaccurate-understandings of God's law. People develop these strong convictions and live by them. The problem, though, is that they do more than just live by these heartfelt guidelines themselves: they also expect everyone else to live by the same convictions. If someone doesn't hold the same view on a subject, then that individual is judged at least to be less spiritual, or at worst to be in open rebellion against God.

The term commonly used to describe this judgmental tendency is LEGALISM.

DEFINITION

WHAT IT IS

Legalism, as it is being discussed in this seminar, can be defined as "the tendency to reduce Christianity to a set of rules rather than a personal relationship with Christ".

This ends up being a system that judges an individual's relationship to God in terms of adherence to man-made rules. It is subtle and pervasive, and therefore deadly to the life of the church.

Legalism is very judgmental. It also eliminates the need for true biblical decision making. Making personal moral decisions is not necessary when they are being made for you by another individual or by some spiritual hierarchy.

A legalistic system generally leads to frustration and misery. It tends to produce morally weak people who live with an unbiblical sense of guilt.

WHAT IT ISN'T

Legalism is not the same thing as having standards. God Himself surely has laws. He is a God of law, and His laws are absolute and unchanging. But man has not been content simply to apply these standards. So he amplifies them, interprets them, and often twists them. God's lofty moral laws end up being reduced to petty rules such as how long a man's hair should be over the ears. The Christian faith is thus cheapened.

So legalism is making these man-made standards a gauge of spirituality.
In other words, someone caught up in this stifling web says, "Keep the rules and you will be spiritual."
Again, rules and standards are not the problem. They have their place in the home, in schools, and in your personal life. It's fine to have personal convictions that you hold dearly.
The issue is insisting that compliance with rules makes one spiritual or right with God.
What kinds of issues do legalists adopt to gauge spirituality? There are many-more than you may think. In fact, we deal with these issues on a daily basis. We call them the "gray areas." By that we mean that the Bible doesn't explicitly say that various opinions in these categories are either right or wrong.
Here's a brief list of some of the categories involved:
· ENTERTAINMENT-movies, TV, cards, pool, paintball, computer games, places to
go
· EXTERNAL PERSONAL APPEARANCE-clothes, makeup, jewelry, hair
· MUSIC-style, etc. (What is appropriate in church?)
· PARENTING
· DATING
· EDUCATION OF CHILDREN-home, private, public
· PATRONIZATION OF BUSINESSES-shopping, Disneyland, long distance
providers, restaurants
· BIRTH CONTROL
· LANGUAGE
· BIBLE TRANSLATIONS
· GIVING
· POLITICS-parties, activism
· MEDICAL ISSUES-life support, transfusions, medications
· HALLOWEEN
· SANTA CLAUS
· OWNING MATERIAL GOODS
· FOOD
· SEPARATION
· SUNDAY ACTIVITIES
· "MIXED" SWIMMING
· ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES
· DEBT/CREDIT
· DRINKING WINE, DANCING, SMOKING

Some of these are issues in particular areas of the country, and not in others. In some areas the pastor and congregation come down heavily on "mixed" swimming, while people in other locales consider such a thing nonsense. Some of these are issues in certain parts of the world, and not in other cultures.

The point is: we have convictions on these and many other issues. Churches have experienced turmoil in the body due to the varying convictions held in these categories. Some churches have even split over them.
You could also call the legalistic system that develops over such topics Phariseeism.

HISTORY

The Scribes and the Pharisees were the original legalists.

Pharisee means "separated one." They prided themselves in their denunciation of impure and ungodly elements. Physical separation was of paramount importance. Functional holiness was considered evidence of personal piety, and Leviticus 11:44-45 was a central passage. They considered their priorities close to the heart of God.

The Pharisees had no greater task than to protect and propagate the laws of God. They had so much respect for the original set of scriptures and wanted to protect them so desperately that they started adding to them. After a while, it not only seemed helpful to make additions but absolutely essential. God's moral, ceremonial, and dietary laws were not enough for them. Even though the law was already burdensome, they developed another 365 rules (one for each day of the year). These rules, as part of the oral law, became even more important to them than God's commandments.

The counterpart to the Pharisees today is the people who are afraid to allow Christians to live only with God's Word. To biblical principles they add rules and regulations and standards, and then come to the point of believing they are part of the Scriptures themselves.

This is the way it is for legalists. God lays down a principle. Then, man reduces God's great principle to a set of rules that may be burdensome, but that certainly remove individual responsibility for making choices. Finally, man elevates rule-keeping to a mark of spirituality and judges himself and others by it.

Of all the degrading titles that Jesus used to describe the Pharisees, none was more devastating than referring to them as "yeast" or "leaven." He told his disciples, "Be on your guard against the yeast of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy" (Luke 12:1).

Christ's concern over the Pharisees centered around the fact that their opinions, both casual and official, were becoming inseparable with the laws of Moses, and Jesus considered the confusion reprehensible.

It is just as easy for the modern believer to become blind to the gangrene of legalism that has spread throughout the church. Teachings and traditions of purely human origin can over the years become so ingrained that they appear to be of divine origin.

The problem is NOT with having traditional practices, or even with a church's local distinction. However, there is something desperately wrong with presenting these personal preferences as eternal truth.

MOTIVATION

Why do people tend toward this unfortunate and enslaving system?

Because people fear that if God's principles are not replaced with rigid rules, men will ignore what God said and run wildly into sin.

In other words, the rules are an attempt to force people to do what is right.

The key problem, then, is unbelief-legalists do not believe in the power of the Holy Spirit to direct men into right living.

"We must interpret God's principles for them and then force them to obey for their own good."

THE CENTRAL FOCUS

Legalism focuses NOT on the legitimate needs of an individual, but the institution. The rules and standards therefore exist to protect the institution and its image. That fact results in legalism being neither compassionate nor forgiving.

It must force compliance and conformity in order to protect the institution.

Some legalists think that if you make children or young people obey rules for many years, you have actually improved them morally-you have actually forced them into sanctification.

The reality is that you have only taught them to conform.

THE PROBLEM

Legalism is a system that has always failed-a system that always will fail. It cannot succeed if true biblical progressive sanctification is desired. Rules have never made anyone more spiritual.

Legalism doesn't work for a variety of reasons:

A system of rules does not provide decision-making opportunities and experiences.

In life, every day brings a new set of moral circumstances. Though God's principles do not change, life situations do.

Others must make decisions for you in your formative years. But as you grow, God wants you to mature to the place where you can examine God's principles and apply them to today's new and changing circumstances.

It's been my observation (and it has been the observation of many others) that those who live under a rigid set of rules easily fall into sin. When the peer group or spiritual leader isn't present to ensure compliance with the rules, the freedom to decide almost produces panic. Since no authority is there to make the decisions for you, you fall into sin.

A loving parent knows that as a child grows and moves toward maturity, he must be allowed to make some wrong choices. I say "some" to acknowledge that no caring parent would stand idly by while their child made some decision that would bring bodily or moral harm. You do not let a child make a wrong decision about drugs, pregnancy, etc. On issues such as these a parent will be as aggressive as possible in both warning their child against, and even stopping their child from, the kind of failure that would have devastating lifelong consequences.

In general, a caring parent knows that the younger a child is, the more decisions you must make for him. But that must gradually lessen and finally end as a child matures. Children must learn how to make decisions, even though it is painful at times. And it is best that the parent is allowing this opportunity for failure when the child is still young enough to live at home, so that the child can be encouraged and instructed.

Rules focus on the external.
That very focus often encourages believers to neglect the inner man. And unless a person experiences "heart-change"-unless the Christian faith and lifestyle are internalized the believer never truly changes.

God is not interested in mere appearances or superficial behavior modification (1 Sam. 16:7; Prov. 4:23; Matt. 12:34; Mark 7:14-23; John 2:23-25).

People are prone to feel very holy and safe with rules. And they then are judgmental toward those who break them.

Some pastors make the mistake of focusing on external issues in their preaching, thinking they can somehow manipulate their listeners into conformity through their attack on particular, visible expressions of sin. They preach against smoking, drinking, cursing, dancing, going to movies, certain forms of clothing, etc. "Worldliness" is characterized in terms of these habits and behaviors. Though they may do this thinking they are helping people be more godly, they are actually ignoring issues of the heart such as covetousness, hatred, strife, envying, idolatry, love of self, etc. They may also ignore any discussion of such inward qualities as love, joy, peace, longsuffering, and gentlness.

THE EXTENT

Whom does this "disease" affect?

Ultimately, any Christian if he's not careful and on guard can fall into the trap of legalism. And any church can be victimized by it. A church can have the wrong goal of trying to protect its image rather than glorifying God. When that happens, little is said about obeying Scripture for the proper reasons-because it is Light and pleasing to God.

Two groups within the body of Christ seem to suffer from legalism, possibly more than others:

Preacher's kids (PKs) are certainly expected by the church to act right, but what is right?

Frequently that means they are expected to keep a set of rules that will not offend the weakest person in the church.

The reality is that the rules are kept by PKs in order not to embarrass the pastorfather. Yet many times the children have no personal convictions about the rules. Their motives are wrong in keeping them.

That is why some children of legalistic pastors often become rebellious. As soon as they leave home they reject the system because the Christian faith has never been internalized.

Preachers' kids must also be allowed to make errors. They must be encouraged to live by godly principles and allowed to make personal choices.

The Christian school movement has also been victimized by legalism. This has brought frustration and disillusionment to many.

The attitude by some seems to be that the validity of the Christian school movement (possibly even its survival) depends upon the evidence that a school has produced a child that is moral. This moral result is so important to schools, their images, and their financing that many schools believe they cannot leave a child's behavior to chance.

If necessary, they must force their students to act right because bad behavior reflects on the whole system of Christian education. It is too risky to let students exercise their Christian responsibility to obey God-they might do wrong.

For a Christian school infected with legalism, high moral behavior is as important a product as Christian philosophy.

Once again, this is old-fashioned fear. Fear causes school administrators to resort to stringent and numerous rules about everything, for example, dress, hair length, language, talking in the hall or lunchroom, how they sit in their chairs, cars, ad infinitum.

Don't misunderstand the main point-it's not the idea of rules that is the problem. It's not that rules have no place in an institution. A Christian school is wise to have practical and reasonable rules for conduct and even appearance.

But rules without reason do NOT motivate students to right behavior, and they do not necessarily teach them how to make right moral decisions.

There is a basic flaw with all of this: it is presumed that under a system of law it does not really matter why you do right.

But God doesn't see it this way-it DOES matter why you do what you do. Right behavior because of fear of the system will end when the system has no more control.

On the other hand: RIGHT BEHAVIOR AS A RESULT OF VOLUNTARY DECISIONS BASED ON A KNOWLEDGE OF SCRIPTURE AND A RESPONSE TO THE HOLY SPIRIT WILL CONTINUE.

You have to wonder what the attraction to legalism is, especially when you consider its disastrous results in the lives of individual Christians, in Christian homes, and in local churches.

Partly, the answer is:

It's easy to measure the keeping of rules.

This attraction is based upon the faulty assumption that a person's faith can be quantified. You can look at a person's hair, his dress, and so forth and be able to determine his spirituality. In other words, these external criteria will always indicate what is going on inside.

But a person can look great on the outside, and yet be ungodly on the inside. IT'S THE HEART THAT REALLY MATTERS. Therefore, our focus in ministry must be on the inner man.

Legalism eliminates agonizing decisions.

To truly practice your faith, you must learn God's principles and apply them daily to life's changing circumstances. This is often painful. It definitely stretches your faith, but it is the only Christianity with substance.

As already stated, Christian leaders often confuse conformity with spirituality. Conformity is a social pressure and may not have anything to do with true Christianity at all.

Legalism is the easy way out.
This is especially true for insecure Christian leaders. It makes them feel safe, but it is harmful to believers.

There are no significantly fewer pregnancies, and no less experimentation with sex, alcohol, or cigarettes by young people reared under a strict system of rules than those who were not.

I have personally helped pick up the pieces of individuals who were part of a very legalistic Christian institution. Just as Colossians 2:23 says, all the man-made rules and standards were "of no value against fleshly indulgence." Others who have attended legalistic educational institutions have told me horrible stories of the rampant sin and immorality among students "behind the scenes."

Legalism is a cheap substitute for true spirituality (Steve Kreloff).

The system has obviously not worked well... it would be helpful if all evangelicals would admit that.

The essential difference between legalism and freedom in Christ is the believer's responsibility for choice. This doesn't mean, of course, freedom to indulge the flesh, ignore other believers, or ignore God's moral law.

Christian liberty is the freedom to choose to do right without a system of rules or an ever-present authority forcing you to do right.

Galatians 5:13 For you were called to freedom, brethren; only do
not turn your freedom into an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.

THE RIGHT RESPONSE

If rules are not a guaranteed path to spirituality, what should we do? If legalism is a disastrous system that destroys people and churches, what should be our response?

Some general responses:

Teach that God makes it clear that some things are wrong.

Preach what the Bible says about adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, idolatry, and so forth (Gal. 5:19-21).

Admit that we have questions about many issues.

Accept the fact that the Bible doesn't specifically address every issue. And on these topics, teach that it's okay for us to have differences of opinion. Be careful not to equate biblical directives with personal opinion.

At the same time, make it clear that license is not an alternative to legalism. In other words, in reaction to legalism we must not flaunt our freedom. Scripture teaches we must voluntarily restrict our liberties out of love for others (Rom. 14: 3-4).

Teach the principles of Scripture.

God wants us to honor Him, and to make the choices that promote the renewal of our inner man. Teach your people that they are responsible to God personally in these matters. Also teach them about the power of the Holy Spirit who affects change in us as we submit to God's Word.

Don't be issue-oriented in your preaching, constantly attacking vices from the pulpit. Teach the Word of God in its entirety and trust its power in peoples' lives.

Be honest with each other, and especially with our young people.

Make sure we are clearly saying "Rules won't make you spiritual." Let's help people understand that rules can sometimes be helpful, and that we may use them. But we must not make the keeping of rules a gauge of spirituality.

Challenge young people with honesty and the truth, and do it openly. This takes great courage and wisdom, but it needs to be done. Don't be afraid that the system of grace and the power of the Holy Spirit in the lives of people will not really work. You'll be amazed to learn how believers respond to honesty and to compassion.

Some further dos and don'ts for the pastor:

Don't overestimate your importance.

Some men become authoritarian figures, hiding behind the statement, "Don't touch God's anointed." This is pride. Your authority ends where Scripture ends. Make sure your people see you living by this. Help your staff lead this way, too.
Don't micro-manage your people or your staff.
Allow some freedom for people to fail, and freedom to do things differently than you would yourself.

Don't be threatened by those who disagree. Model this to your congregation.

Don't make "mountains out of molehills." This is what legalists do.

Don't judge motives.

Love "believes all things, hopes all things."

Don't allow legalistic people to be in influential positions.

Their legalistic tendencies will spread like gangrene.

Do be patient with peoples' sanctification.

Your sanctification is progressive; so is theirs.

Do trust the power of God's Word as you faithfully and accurately preach it.

Don't resort to manipulation, guilt trips, etc. Don't succumb to fear.

Do "aim" your preaching at the heart.

People are changed by the renewing of their mind. As thinking changes, behavior will follow suit. You primarily task as a preacher is to destroy "speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God." Your part in this is the clear proclamation of Scripture. It's the Holy Spirit's job to illumine the mind and bring conviction of sin. Pulpit tirades against individual sins and pet peeves won't accomplish this in the lives of your sheep.

Do teach your people the process of biblical decision-making.

Get the tapes on this by Stuart Scott. You can contact him at The Master's College.

Do teach Romans 14 to your congregation.

This is probably the most significant passage on the subject of convictions, legalism, etc. I've attached some thoughts from this great chapter as an appendix at the end of these notes.

Do teach on the importance of unity in the body.

Periodically present God's perspective on unity to your people by teaching from one of the many passages that address it. They need to be reminded that unity among believers in a local assembly is important to the Lord.

Do watch out for disunity in your congregation over the issue of the education of children.

More than one church has split over the issue of home schooling vs. private schooling vs. public schooling.
My wife and I have homeschooled our four children at various grade levels, placed them in private Christian education, and had them in public education. For two consecutive years we had at least one child in each of these venues. So I have an understanding of the good and bad of each. Since I am experienced in each and have an appreciation of each, I am free to say this: most of the problems I am personally aware of in churches over the issue of education are caused by those who homeschool. Some, not all, homeschooling families tend to become crusaders and end up judging others in the church who choose something different. I've received reports of homeschooling families refusing to let their children play with other kids in the church who were not homeschooled. A pastor must graciously but firmly bring Romans 14 to bear on the thinking of his people if any disunity over this issue is surfacing.

Do be prepared to lose some people from your congregation.
As you are honest with your people about what the Bible does and doesn't say, you may very well lose some of your members. The odds are that it will be the legalists.

CONCLUSION

My goal in this seminar is NOT to persuade people to begin wearing their hair a certain way, or go to movies, begin drinking wine, or dress any way they want. My desire is that people not be afraid to think-and to be honest with God's Word. I don't want our youth to be confused because of our failure to deal with issues courageously and biblically.
As a pastor I want my sheep to examine legalism and recognize it for the dangerous, failing system that it is.. I want the people God has placed in my charge to understand and pursue true spirituality (internal change), not a superficial faith (mere external change).
We must teach people God's principles and how to make decisions based on Scripture and a relationship with God and His Holy Spirit. We must lead believers into a victorious Christian life. Rules will not accomplish that.
Some church leaders, like the Pharisees, believe we must hedge Christians in with layers of rules or they will chase wildly after sin. We must recognize that this system of legalism denies the power and victory of the Christian faith.
Among many Christians, freedom and liberty have become dirty words, but to Paul they were symbols of unshackled hearts and lives.
Galatians 5:1 It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery.

Combat legalism in your church. Deal with it graciously, but firmly. Don't let it grow. And don't be afraid to teach people how to scripturally make moral decisions. Then show them there is divine power to live the Christian life the way God intended (Eph. 1:19).
Appendix
Getting Along When It's Gray

Rom. 14:1-12

CAREY HARDY
PASTOR, ADULT & FAMILY MINISTISTRIES
GRACE COMMUNITY CHURCH

INTRODUCTION

The church in Rome was a cosmopolitan type of church. It experienced the strains that can come in a local church when there are differences. In this passage are three truths that, if understood and embraced, form a foundation for learning how to get along with people who do not see what you are doing as the ideal way of living out the Christian faith.

THE TRUTH ABOUT ISSUES & ACTIVITIES

It is a fact: The Bible does not DIRECTLY address every particular issue or activity in life.

And when we are discussing these issues not addressed in Scripture, we may well hold different opinions as to what is right and wrong.

I don't mean issues that are clearly laid out in Scripture. For example, we MUST share the same convictions about who Christ is. And certain activities are clearly described in the Bible as being sinful. So we can't sit around trying to decide what our personal conviction might be on (for example) adultery, drunkenness, or lying, murder, or homosexuality, etc.

There is no doubt as to the sinfulness of these activities.

But many issues are NOT clearly spelled out in the Word of God like these are as being sinful. There are principles that can guide us, but there's no particular verse to tell us whether the activity is right or wrong.

We call these the gray areas of life (not exactly black... sinful and forbidden; and
not exactly white ... good and encouraged). We tend to form personal convictions about these issues, which is FINE. We ought to. And we ought to live by those convictions.

But regardless how our conscience is trained, no matter how we try to make black issues to be white or white issues to be black, the truth remains: THERE ARE MANY ISSUES THAT ARE GRAY.

--------------------

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement