Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Exposing False Teaching   » Name It And Claim It

Author Topic: Name It And Claim It
Larry Parker
Advanced Member
Member # 7468

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larry Parker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Daniel,

Yes I have heard of Charles Capps. He is one of the teachers that I point out, in a book I have written, who are teaching presumption and calling it faith. I quote their writings and show, by scripture, how they are wrong. The book is called, "No Spin Faith - Rejecting Religious Spin Doctors."

God bless,

Larry

Posts: 22 | From: Barstow, California | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneinchrist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi again Larry,
Have you ever heard of Charles Capps. He seems to be/or have been a big driving force behind the "They can have what they say" deception. He has made claims that God has literally spoke to him about our lack of using His creative power.

With love in Christ, Daniel

Posts: 1389 | From: Wind Lake, WI | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larry Parker
Advanced Member
Member # 7468

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larry Parker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Michael,

I am attending Calvery Chapel of Barstow. It is not the same church that I was attending when my son died. However, It is the same building that that church was in at the time. You're right, it can get mighty hot here on the desert.

I'll have to check out the book "Faith, Foolishness, or Presumption?" I would like to see if it agrees with the book I wrote about the subject.

You are right in your comments about "tempting God." Check out my reply to Daniel in my "I Failed My Son" post.

Posts: 22 | From: Barstow, California | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Barstow! Which church? I was there last summer. I can't remember the name of the church I visited. It was downtown. Then there was a small fellowship called Vinyard.

It was 120 degrees out there. That was my first experience with that kind of heat. Now I know what our soldiers in Afganistan are feeling. It was key to drink lots of water, and I mean lots. I learned not to drink it cold, because you don't drink enough if it is cold. One has to gorge himself. I heard that somewhere once, but it didn't register. The desert taught me.

I met a Jehova's witness over there who tried to convert me. It was funny. He had been in a salvaging business. He was down the street from that place that has all of those old timey signs, and junk, on the highway north of town.

Since I returned, I learned that geodes and gems can be found out there in the desert. Had I known, I would have been looking. Might do it again.

Got a parking ticket. I was at McDonald's. I parked against the curb that was painted red. The heck of it is that the red was covered by the black which rubbed off of the tires of simi trucks and trailers. Add to this that the sun sets in the west, and that curb had only one color - black - because it casts the shadow dark enough that the red cannot be seen! So I didn't realize that the curb was marked. As far as I am concerned, if they don't want anyone parking there, they should make sure that the red shows. I couldn't afford that ticket. (Mebbe a little WOF was in order.)

There is a book, "Faith, Foolishness, or Presumption," from years gone by. I don't remember what it says, but the title says a lot.

I am so sorry about your son. I recall other stories similar to yours. Something like this comes under the heading of not 'tempting the Lord thy God'. It is a hardship to realize that we did not know as much when it counts the most, or we would have taken other action. Yet, I cannot completely disagree with the WOF inspiration. We cannot 'tell' God, whatever, but we can receive. That requires knowing Him intimately. And I can back it up:

• 1Jn 3:21 Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God.
    1Jn 3:22 And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.

If our heart condemn us not..... When it mattered, were we paying attention to our heart? For there is something for it to be taught before it is prepared to receive from the Lord. Yet it goes unnoticed in WOF churches, and in fact, in churches at large. But the verse above (and some int the gospels) indicate that it is not 'wrong' so much, to name it and claim it. But one cannot do that without understanding his or her relationship. That relationship is elusive, because after the Spirit 'finds us', we have not necessarily 'found' Him, face to face. This happens because we are so easily distracted by the world, or even by 'worldly' Christianity.

Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larry Parker
Advanced Member
Member # 7468

Thirty-five years ago my son died because his mother and I Prayed and then claimed his healing. We learned that our actions were not faith but presumption. In the years following I have studied the Bible for the true meaning of faith. I would like to help anyone who may be confused by the "name it and claim it" teaching. If you have any questions about faith I will be glad to answer them.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement