Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Exposing False Teaching   » The Truth about Astrology/What do you Think?

Author Topic: The Truth about Astrology/What do you Think?
Eduardo Grequi
Advanced Member
Member # 3984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eduardo Grequi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do believe God does use the stars, sun etc... because He created them, however, to depend on the stars for guidance or a spiritual experience is a foolish quest. Well Put my friend Alisha. We are warned not to adorn our praise to the stars but to worship the Creator. The heavenly bodies are given to be a sign (indicator) of some prophecies. We must worship God, the great I AM, Immanuel. Worship is merely puting yourself in the correct relationship to your master. My Master is God, through Jesus Christ Our Lord. The following are some verses about stars,moom or other heavenly bodies.

(Deu 4:19 NKJV) And take heed, lest you lift your eyes to heaven, and when you see the sun, the moon, and the stars, all the host of heaven, you feel driven to worship them and serve them, which the LORD your God has given to all the peoples under the whole heaven as a heritage.

(Psa 8:1-6 NKJV) To the Chief Musician. On the Instrument of Gath. A Psalm of David. O LORD, our Lord, How excellent is Your name in all the earth, Who have set Your glory above the heavens!
Out of the mouth of babes and nursing infants You have ordained strength, Because of Your enemies, That You may silence the enemy and the avenger. When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers, The moon and the stars, which You have ordained, What is man that You are mindful of him, And the son of man that You visit him? For You have made him a little lower than the angels, And You have crowned him with glory and honor. You have made him to have dominion over the works of Your hands; You have put all things under his feet,

(Ecc 12:2 NKJV) While the sun and the light, The moon and the stars, Are not darkened, And the clouds do not return after the rain;

(Rev 8:12 NKJV) Then the fourth angel sounded: And a third of the sun was struck, a third of the moon, and a third of the stars, so that a third of them were darkened. A third of the day did not shine, and likewise the night.

Posts: 771 | From: Belvidere, IL | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theo Philite
Advanced Member
Member # 7480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Theo Philite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am currently reading a history of christianity.

According to the history, one of the problems that Judaism faced was the fact that the "Law" was such a big part of the theology that it became a question of whether or not God himself was subject to it. It was way too legalistic, it eventually became convinced that God was bound by the Law, and so was not above the Law.........alot like the modern day christian who seems to think that it is impossible for God to be above the bible.

If God wants to speak to us through the something, and we choose to call this something the Bible, then of course it is correct, holy, and good. But do not think that that means God is always bound to speak through the Bible, and should he ever choose to stop the Bible would be the equivalent of, say, the Quaran?, or Sun Tzu's "The Art of War"...but the point is that wisdom is just wisdom...it takes the divine presence behind the wisdom to make it something more, to give it life, spirit, and power...so look for the presence behind the mere words....

--------------------
"Even on a cloudy day I will be your friend"

Posts: 28 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Theo Philite:
I have no doubt as to that.

But what happens when you do not understand something that the word says?

Do you pray? Do you ask for revelation, understanding, guidance? Do you look at the hand of God in your life for a clue as to what the answer is?

The only reason the word speaks to us the way it does is because of the will behind the word...and if the will chose to change then the word would no longer be holy, but the will still would be. So, so long as the will is behind the word you can worship it and probably stay on the right path, but if you want my advice then do not stick with the word if the will ever leaves it. Follow the will.

Isa.40

[31] But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theo Philite
Advanced Member
Member # 7480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Theo Philite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no doubt as to that.

But what happens when you do not understand something that the word says?

Do you pray? Do you ask for revelation, understanding, guidance? Do you look at the hand of God in your life for a clue as to what the answer is?

The only reason the word speaks to us the way it does is because of the will behind the word...and if the will chose to change then the word would no longer be holy, but the will still would be. So, so long as the will is behind the word you can worship it and probably stay on the right path, but if you want my advice then do not stick with the word if the will ever leaves it. Follow the will.

--------------------

Posts: 28 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 6 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some may say , Hey he is worshiping the word.

Then I say.

Yes I AM.

Heb.10

[7] Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theo Philite
Advanced Member
Member # 7480

I invoke the wise words of the deist Voltaire...

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it."

If we all chose to follow these words then persecution for beliefs would end, and if the truth is really the truth then it would prevail in the end........and perhaps Voltaire wouldn't have been a deist.

--------------------

WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 18 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"If someone wishes to believe something about the bible then let them!!! They are doing nothing but developing their own relationship with God, which is not necessarily the same as yours,

The Bible states~

Eph.4
[1] I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,
[2] With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;
[3] Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.

[4] There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
[5] One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
[6] One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

[7] But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ.

--------------------
That is all.....

Theo Philite
Advanced Member
Member # 7480

"They are lukewarm their convictions, with one leg in the spiritual realm and one leg in the "carnal" world, and they refuse to budge from either one."- Miss Alisha

Why, that describes me PERFECTLY! Before I had both legs in the spiritual world, but that was back before I was a christian. Now that I have accepted Jesus Christ as my saviour my convictions have necessarily become lukewarm, and I absolutely must have one leg in the "carnal" world. It came with the package, and I will be the first to tell you that it was a great struggle on my part to be able to split my legs like that and dwell in both.

Because, you see, I am in this world but not of it, and because everyone is in this world I see the need for me to remain a part of it instead of just immersing myself with spiritual "dreams".

I believe the best word that compacts it all is the cliche "reality".

If someone wishes to believe something about the bible then let them!!! They are doing nothing but developing their own relationship with God, which is not necessarily the same as yours, and to say that they are wrong and you are right is just plain hypocrisy, and to do it under the guise of helping them is just plain self-delusional (which you might very well prove by arguing with me here). Do not judge, condemn, or look down on others, we are above such things.

A certain people once did it to a certain man, all the while believing in their own superiority...it is how Jesus was crucified, and so I suppose when we do it to others it is just like we were doing it to him...luckily we have HIS forgiveness, but does that prevent the damage being done? I think the nails will tell you otherwise.

--------------------

Glory belongs to Him
Advanced Member
Member # 7432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glory belongs to Him     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good Thread!

--------------------
If you ever get so hungry for God that you are in pursuit of Him, He will do things for you that He won't do for anybody else.

Posts: 112 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluefrog
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it makes no difference about the wise men I don't think that you are destined for hell. Isn't that nice of me to say ? hehe

Best we enjoy our Christmas decorations. Note, that I said Christmas, not Holiday, because it may be one day not long from now that anything relating to Christmas will not be allowed to be displayed. Furthermore, the word Christmas will and is already being changed to Holiday.

My question is, just how much longer will God put up with this ?

If Obama jumps into the middle of Israel's giving up more land again, that may be the straw that breaks the camels back. If you hear that he is doing that, trust me, it ain't gonna be pretty, and I mean HERE, IN AMERICA.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mat 2:9 When they had heard the king, they departed; and, lo, the star, which they saw in the east, went before them, till it came and stood over where the young child was. Mat 2:10 When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceeding great joy. Mat 2:11 And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense, and myrrh. Mat 2:12 And being warned of God in a dream that they should not return to Herod, they departed into their own country another way. Mat 2:13 And when they were departed, behold, the angel of the Lord appeareth to Joseph in a dream, saying, Arise, and take the young child and his mother, and flee into Egypt, and be thou there until I bring thee word: for Herod will seek the young child to destroy him.Mat 2:14 When he arose, he took the young child and his mother by night, and departed into Egypt:

-------------------
Whether the Wise Men were spiritual or not, they did have the privilege of seeing God in flesh in Jesus, and God the Father,talked to them in a dream. I have a Manger Scene out every Christmas and like most it has the three Wise Men. To me it is not important whether the three Wise Men came the same night as the shepherds or not but that the came.

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 18 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bluefrog:
MISS ALISHA...The Three Wise Men or Magi story is nothing to get so upset about. Fact is, most of it has been made up by man with just a very small bit of information in the scriptures.

For example: Here at Christmas we see manger scenes with them standing looking at Jesus.
We see Christmas programs in our churches and there is almost always 3 wise men to see Jesus.
We know that's wrong so why do we do it? In the bible they didn't show up there and when they did get recorded it was much later.

As for them being good guys. No body really knows. There was a record of three gifts so we say it was three. We don't know.

Magi (wise men) were supposedly scholarly, priestly class that served as advisers and astrologers to Babylonian and Persian rulers.
Some records imply they had supernatural powers.
They were magicians, travelers, and found in Persia and Palestine.
Remember Moses and the Pharoh's wizards who conjured up a snake, etc ? Daniel even served as a magi once. No one can prove they were kings. But, isn't it interesting that these Gentile Wise Men were among the first to recognize and worship Jesus ? Some have even questioned that. They said they did, but some think they were telling a lie and were spies n' stuff like that. Let's hope they were good guys who saw the light and we will be able to talk to them one day.

Rivit.

Nowhere does the Bible say how many the wise men were, only the 3 type of gifts presented to the "Young child".

Only the Shepherds were invited to the Birth of Christ by a Heavenly Host.

These others found their way sometime later by their understanding of the prophecy of Balaam son of Beor.

http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/k/kjv/kjv-idx?type=DIV2&byte=677751

v 16 ,17

--------------------
That is all.....

bluefrog
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MISS ALISHA...The Three Wise Men or Magi story is nothing to get so upset about. Fact is, most of it has been made up by man with just a very small bit of information in the scriptures.

For example: Here at Christmas we see manger scenes with them standing looking at Jesus.
We see Christmas programs in our churches and there is almost always 3 wise men to see Jesus.
We know that's wrong so why do we do it? In the bible they didn't show up there and when they did get recorded it was much later.

As for them being good guys. No body really knows. There was a record of three gifts so we say it was three. We don't know.

Magi (wise men) were supposedly scholarly, priestly class that served as advisers and astrologers to Babylonian and Persian rulers.
Some records imply they had supernatural powers.
They were magicians, travelers, and found in Persia and Palestine.
Remember Moses and the Pharoh's wizards who conjured up a snake, etc ? Daniel even served as a magi once. No one can prove they were kings. But, isn't it interesting that these Gentile Wise Men were among the first to recognize and worship Jesus ? Some have even questioned that. They said they did, but some think they were telling a lie and were spies n' stuff like that. Let's hope they were good guys who saw the light and we will be able to talk to them one day.

Rivit.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a very good post Miss Alisha! It falls on many deaf ears, however. People do not take it seriously. In fact, what you are speaking of here is the act of sanctification. For that is what it means to be separate from these things. But it is amazing; If one associates with fellow believers closely, he or she will so very often realize these kinds of things about those people. And the pulpit, which is the place to hear these things, if people do not have self initiative, is almost without exception (almost) silent on these matters.
Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miss Alisha
Community Member
Member # 7438

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miss Alisha         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know a chick that tells people that the three wise men were astrologers because "they read the signs in the heavens and followed the North Star." I cringe when I hear her say that, and we, on several occasions, have gone back in forth about the issue. Why she insists on perpetuating this lie is anybody's guess, but apparently she heard it in some Bible study, and therefore it must be true. Unfortunately, she's not the only one who's doing it. There are many people are out there spreading misinterpreted gospel, and the bottom line is, it's dangerous.

I believe one of the biggest problems with Bible interpretation attempts is that many people don't really know Jesus, and don't have the indwelling Holy Spirit to guide them - yet they're ready to either espouse their uninformed opinions whenever possible, or swallow whatever nonsense they hear from others who are equally ignorant about the Bible. They might know ABOUT Jesus, but they don't have a personal relationship with Him and are, consequently, still "walking in the way of the world," using their human mindsets to try to interpret God's word. They are lukewarm their convictions, with one leg in the spiritual realm and one leg in the "carnal" world, and they refuse to budge from either one.

So, here is what the Bible REALLY says. The following verse from Isaiah shows God addressing Babylon about the sins they are committing, including the seeking of guidance from astrologers....

Isaiah 47:13-14: All the counsel you have received has only worn you out! Let your astrologers come forward, those stargazers who make predictions month by month, let them save you from what is coming upon you. Surely they are like stubble; the fire will burn them up. They cannot even save themselves from the power of the flame. Here are no coals to warm anyone; here is no fire to sit by.

There are many other scriptures about astrology/witchcraft, and interpreters of omens. How anyone (even those who don't know the Bible very well) can misinterpret God's word on this issue is beyond me:

Deuteronomy 4:19: "Be careful that you don't worship the sun, moon, and stars."

Deuteronomy 17:2-5 in the Old Testament says that those who worshipped the sun, moon, or stars were to be stoned.

Leviticus 20:6 says God will separate himself from those who go after mediums and familiar spirits.

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 says that practicing witchcraft, sorcery, soothsaying, interpreting omens, making spells, and being a medium or spiritist, are all abominations unto God.

Daniel 2:27-28 talks of how God kept King Nebuchadnezzar's dream and its interpretation secret from the astrologers, magicians or dream interpreters, and soothsayers. However, he revealed it to his prophet Daniel.

Acts 16:16-18 talks of a girl who was possessed by an evil spirit that enabled her to be a fortune teller. Paul commanded the evil spirit to come out of her in the name or authority of Jesus, and the spirit left her:

Deuteronomy 18:9-11: "Let no one be found among you who sacrifices his son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft..."

2 Chronicles 33:5-7: "He sacrificed his sons in the fire in the Valley of Ben Hinnom, practiced sorcery, divination and witchcraft, and consulted mediums and spiritists. He did much evil in the eyes of the LORD, provoking him to anger."

It is important to realize that, when the Bible talks about signs in the stars, heavens, or whatever, they're usually literal signs:

Luke 21:24-26 says, "There will be signs in the sun, moon and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea.

Yes, there will be many "signs" in the heavens in the end-times but, make no mistake, these signs have nothing whatsoever to do with astrology. Do not be deceived.

With so many people insisting on using their human mindsets to interpret God's word, is it any wonder we have so many "religions" and weird beliefs and false prophets today? Someone once told me they don't like the fact that Jesus referred to people as "lambs" or "sheep" in need of a shepherd. Well, we ARE like sheep. We all follow something or somebody. Those who are desperate to know their future follow astrology or tarot card readers or whatever, instead of listening to God and what He wants, most people simply turn their backs and do their "own thing" because it's easier to be "in and of the world".

Revelation 3:16: "So, because you are lukewarm--neither hot nor cold--I am about to spit you out of my mouth."

Matthew 7:22-24: "Then I will tell them plainly, `I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!' Many will say to me on that day, `Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, `I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!' Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock."

Consulting one's horoscope, whether seriously or casually, is an act of defying one of the most solemn warnings of Scripture.

--------------------
For surely, we shall behold Him!

Posts: 14 | From: Atlanta | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement