Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Exposing False Teaching   » Fred Phelps and The Westboro Baptist Church

Author Topic: Fred Phelps and The Westboro Baptist Church
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fred Phelps is an apostle of hate and his family compound home to the cult of the Westboro Baptist Church.

http://cjonline.com/webindepth/phelps/

A Son's Perspective on Fred Phelps

What is he like? Well, it's been 19 years since I left home, but his behavior still appears to be the same. He considers his environment to be against him without admitting, acknowledging or taking responsibility for how he contributes to that. He likes to show himself as being moral, pro-family, pro-Bible, but his actions just don't add up to that. I believe in God and the Bible, and my father's behavior doesn't fit the description of behavior that would show in the life of one who loves God; behavior characteristics such as Love, Joy, Peace, Longsuffering, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness, Self-control. Instead, my father's behavior characterizes, I believe, Hate, Outbursts of Wrath, Contention, Jealousy, Vengefulness, Misery, Harshness, and Selfish ambition. He mis-states the truth about his own behavior, about others, about the Bible, with apparent ease and regularity. He behaves with a viciousness the likes of which I have never seen. He accepts no genuine accountability in his life and is subject to no one. His lifestyle betrays the sacred trust of what a pastor, husband, father and grandfather should be. I suppose if a comparison were made between the life of Jesus Christ and my father, there would not be much to compare.

I also realize that my father is a very unstable person who is determined to hurt people. And because he is so bound to be hateful and hurtful, and because he's so untrustworthy, I believe it's a good idea to respond to him with caution much like the caution used when dealing with a rattlesnake or a mad dog. You see, the causes that he crusades for, including the Bible, are not the issue here. He simply wants to hate and to have a forum for his hate. If the causes he focuses on were the issue, that is, if they really meant something to him in his heart and he meant for the things he does to be for the good, his behavior would not be what it is. He would not betray his message with his behavior. But, when he needs to, to vent his hate, he readily goes outside the bounds of any previously stated 'value' or 'cause' he may have supported. He experiences no moral dilemma when it comes to doing what he wants to do. If it weren't the homosexuals, it would be something else.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have issues with their site. God hates sin but I don't believe hates people. John 3:16,17. I believe they are doing the letter of the law without love for God and their fellow mankind. We should not excuse sin but we should not hate sinners.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeping Him Close
Community Member
Member # 3843

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Keeping Him Close     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am on the fence about this.

I am on side with thier position about it not being ok to be gay.

I am struggling with the context of thier position that God Hates people and thier signs that say "Thank God for 9/11" and Thank God for IEDs . Thier website God Hates Fags and Priest Rape Boys are means of getting thier word across. They quote the Bible and can back up what they believe with scripture. I am however not in agreement with thier full frontal attack on people such as The Amish girls funerals saying that they deserved to die and indicating that they were in hell.

In a manor of respect and civil behaviour, may I please hear from others and thier feelings about the position of Mr. Phelps and His Church? I would like to keep this discussion open as I am torn about the teachings.

Thank you

--------------------
...then sings my soul, my saviour God to thee, How Great Thou Art..

April (36)
Husband David (52)
Stepson Stephen (23)
Daughter Alicia (16)

Posts: 10 | From: Hamilton, ON | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement