Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Exposing False Teaching   » The Passion of the Christ.

Author Topic: The Passion of the Christ.
Carmela
Advanced Member
Member # 4817

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Carmela     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because I'm in bible school and most students live on campus, we are not allowed to to see movies. Well, not with permission anyway. I live off campus and can do what I want. It's mosly the younger students that have strict standards to keep them away from the murderous movies they enjoy.

Anyway, Dr.Forde and his wife went to preview the movie. When us students are in second year we get into groups and lead home groups on wednesday nights. Many of our home groups went together to watch the movie after Dr.Forde gave his approval.

Even though we are all bible students, we all learned a great deal from the movie and took away a whole new perspective on what Jesus went though.

Then, some of our local churches started showing the movie in the evenings and having a discussion for people to participate in after. Many came to know Christ though this. They made public announcements of the free showings to draw the public in and it had an amazing outcome.

--------------------
www.pinecrest.org

Posts: 646 | From: Central New York | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So true Carmela. Our Church took the youth to see the movie and then they met back at the Church to discuss the movie. The Church where my son goes, did the same thing. this movie opened many people up to explore God's Word. A very good thing indeed.
God bless you,
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carmela
Advanced Member
Member # 4817

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Carmela     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The majority of the movie was based on facts. It also reaches more people that are willing to risk going to see a movie but not willing to sit in church. There were enough facts in the movie to lead people to the truth.

Plus, I have heard from other Christians that when they went home, they opened their bible to see read the story of Jesus again and see how it relates. Even I did this. The movie gave me a desire to want to learn more and dig deeper into the Word.

--------------------
www.pinecrest.org

Posts: 646 | From: Central New York | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To me there is a difference in a movie and a Pastor preaching false doctrine. With the movie there were alot like my son who were not saved when they saw the movie. Hopefully, a few were curious enough to get their Bible out or go to Church.

Even though the movie was not totally accurate, it open people's eyes to look for answers. Most of us saw the movie once. On the other hand if you attend Church reguarly, you hear your preacher every Sunday. If he is preaching false doctrine and you are one of those who go to Church but doesn't read the Bible, then you will never hear the truth.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gramajo320
Advanced Member
Member # 4667

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gramajo320   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Betty, Carmela, and Bloodbought,

I totally agree with what each of you say in your postings. God bless you!

--------------------
Gramajo320

Posts: 2385 | From: WA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carmela
Advanced Member
Member # 4817

I agree totally BB. I was actually surprised to see you write this since I remember when the movie came out you seemed to be against it? Have you seen the movie yet?

God can and will use anyone. If He can use a donkey, He can use you and me and anyone else that is willing to be used.

As I keep saying, none of us are perfect but as we continue to seek God, He will continue to show us the right way. I don't disagree with Joyce Meyer's ministy though. I don't know much about the others. I do know that God is using them though in spite of what critics believe.

--------------------
www.pinecrest.org

Bloodbought
Advanced Member
Member # 4365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bloodbought     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started this thread with the purpose of analysing the spiritual effects the movie has had since it was released.

From what has been said it seems to have produced some positive effects, in spite of the fact that heretics put the movie together.

This tells me that we should be extremely careful about our attitude toward heretics because if God can use a heretic like Mel Gibson or Jim Caviezel, He can use people like Joyce Meyer, Benny Hinn or Kenneth Copeland.

The problem with heretics is that there are two sides to them, a positive and a negative. Those who are blessed see the positive and those who are not want to run them down. Personally I believe they should be left in the Lords hands.

Posts: 822 | From: Ireland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gramajo320
Advanced Member
Member # 4667

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gramajo320   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Betty and Carmela,

I am in agreement with your posting. The Passion Of The Christ has had a huge impact on every one who has seen it. God bless!

--------------------
Gramajo320

Posts: 2385 | From: WA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

If how a person feels brings them to Christ, who are you to question it? Most of us had no idea how much Jesus suffered until we saw the movie. Let's face it Church Pageants were so tame, that Jesus’ suffering was not shown realistically.
betty

--------------------

Carmela
Advanced Member
Member # 4817

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carmela     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say that the price Jesus paid is more than a feeling. I think that as Christians we realize that Jesus suffered and died for us, but we often don't realize the full extent of it. The weapons used on Jesus were used in those times and mentioned in the bible, but until you actually see their affect, it doesn't have as much of an impact.

Seeing that Jesus was crucified to this extend made me appreciate His death even more then I already had prior to seeing the movie. We are told that Jesus was beaten even more then the movie depicted because he was beat beyond recognition. However, I didn't know this until after I saw the movie.

The price Jesus paid wasn't cheap. It wasn't an easy price to pay. He asked God in the book of Luke to take this cup from Him, but He also said not my will but YOURS be done. He knew what was going to happen to him, and he didn't back out.

This movie wasn't something I took lightly. I don't worry about who made it because what was published in this movie was based on hard facts. Truth that was documented in the bible and in old historic records. The truth was told and needed to be so that many that were turning their back on Jesus could see how much HE truly loved us and sacrificed for us.

TG's son is only one of many that got a fuller revelation of Jesus and the price He paid. And she also saw the end result that movie made in someone's life.

As I have seen posted in here before, if even one life is saved, it's worth it.

--------------------
www.pinecrest.org

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How something makes you feel is unimportant

Feelings will lead many to Hell

Your salvation must be based on the word of Yahweh

MARIAN MOVEMENT

Charles Dickson, author of A Protestant Pastor Looks at Mary, writes: A Muslim student visiting Rome wants especially to see the Church of Santa Maria Maggiore. Surprised? The poetry of a Syrian mystic is replete with Marian devotion. Surprised? Martin Luther recommended prayer to Mary. Surprised? An American Pentecostalist minister begins to visit shrines of Marian apparitions. Surprised? Muslims refer to Mary as il-Sittneh, or Our Lady. Surprised? A chapter in the Koran is named after her. Surprised? Mary’s deep kindness as a mother is portrayed in Chinese art. Surprised? And now a presbyterian minister has written a book recommending praying the rosary. Still surprised? … a closer investigation of both past history and current events points out that Mary has a universal appeal that transcends our cultural, geographical, and even religious boundaries. (25)

:: Muslims and Catholics
The Koran infers that Allah inspired the Bible, though Jews and Christians have corrupted the text. (69) Also, it is interesting to note that both Muslims and the Roman Catholic Church believe that Allah and the God of the Bible are the same. Quoting from the Catholic Catechism we read:

The plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in the first place amongst whom are the Muslims; these profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and together with us they adore the one, merciful God, mankind’s judge on the last day. (70)
How will the Muslims be included in this plan of salvation? Could the apparitions that perform numerous signs and wonders, impact “Christians” and Muslims who worship the same God? Could they possibly unite on this basis? Insight from the late Catholic priest Father Malachi Martin, in his popular book, The Keys of this Blood, may help answer these questions:
In reckoning the future of Islam, Pope Paul takes into account that as a genuinely religious faith, it preserves certain fundamental truths that the Holy Spirit reveals to all people of good will; and that, in God’s providence, Islam can be a threshold from which its adherents can be prepared to accept the only historical revelation made by God in this world. There will come a day, John Paul believes, when the heart of Islam - already attuned to the figures of Christ and of Christ’s Mother, Mary - will receive the illumination it needs. In the meantime, the Pontiff knows that Islam will stand against him and his church and his geopolitical vision. (71)

http://www.harpazo.net/Queen.html

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gramajo320
Advanced Member
Member # 4667

I add my amens also. We saw the Passion Of The Christ and it is a very powerful movie that really reinforces to all of us who have seen it just what a tremendous love Jesus Christ has for us! It has a powerful message for any person who sees the movie.

--------------------
Gramajo320

Carmela
Advanced Member
Member # 4817

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carmela     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I amen that WhiteEagle. It brought a deeper sense of appreciation

--------------------
www.pinecrest.org

WhiteEagle
Advanced Member
Member # 3728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhiteEagle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first time I watched the Passion of the Christ, it was in the midst of all the hype when it first came into the theatres, and I was too overwhelmed by the bloodshed, in this movie to really appeciate it.

I watched it again several months later at home on DVD. This time the Great Love of Our Savior hit home for me, in His sacrifice of Love to us all.

It's a powerful witness for Christ.

Posts: 1392 | From: Maine | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

The movie actually softened my son's heart towards Christ. Right after he saw the movie, he begin to believe in God again and became saved.
betty

--------------------

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 15 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why Mel Gibson's movie The Passion of the Christ
is a serious threat to Christianity

Introduction

Many Christian leaders today are enthusiastically promoting and supporting Mel Gibson's movie The Passion of the Christ. We question whether or not these leaders have fulfilled their Biblical responsibilities to a) examine who is behind this movie, b) what their motives may be and c) what heresies they and the movie itself may be promoting.

If a well known cult like the Mormon Church had produced this movie would these same Christian leaders be promoting it so enthusiastically? Even if the content of the movie were something they were comfortable with, would they at least be warning their congregations about the heresies that the people behind the movie were involved in?

After spending some time looking at the background of both Mel Gibson the producer, and Jim Caviezel, the actor who played Jesus in this movie, we are convinced that both are sincere in their beliefs, but are also heretics. It is also obvious that the movie itself promotes some very serious heresies, and that most protestants would probably not pick up on these problems because they lack a proper understanding of Catholic doctrines and beliefs (especially those surrounding the Marian movement).

We are deeply concerned that the Christian leaders who we've seen promote this movie have not been warning people about its hidden spiritual dangers, or about the fact that the reason it was created was to promote some very serious Catholic heresies.

The movie's close ties to the heretical Marian movement

Chief among our concerns about this movie are its close ties to the Marian movement. For a good overview of this movement and ties to Catholicism, Islam and the New Age movement, see this article by Jim Tetlow titled Queen of All at this link:

http://www.harpazo.net/Queen.html

This movement is not well understood by the Protestant community. However, it is huge around the world and its influence is growing even in the Islamic community. So is its threat to the true Gospel message of salvation through Jesus Christ alone. Both Mel Gibson and Jim Caviezel believe that "Mary", Jesus's earthly mother, and Jesus are co-redeemers. In other words, Jesus's death and suffering on the cross were not enough to secure our salvation. They believe that Mary also suffers even to this day, and that she shares in Jesus's role as our "co-redemptrix".

“I’ve been actually amazed at the way I would say the evangelical audience has - hands down - responded to this film more than any other Christian group.” What makes it so amazing, he says, is that “the film is so Marian.”
Mel Gibson, Producer 1

Through one’s own life. It is not what we say but what we do. I dedicate my work to Her Son, I dedicate all that I do to Her Son. I ask Mary to guide me and my career. You can convert people only by living your life. This film is something that I believe was made by Mary for her Son. Because it was made by her, it will be attacked by the enemy.
Jim Caviezel (actor who played Jesus) 2

I pray that we are open to wherever Mary is leading us, and that in all the places where we go and to the people that we meet around the world, we may bring these messages.
Kerri Caviezel (wife of actor who played Jesus) 2

The Marian messages that Kerri Caviezel wants she and her husband Jim to share with others around the world contain many serious heresies. The following link on our web site details several of them and the Bible verses they contradict:

http://creationists.org/MessagesFromHeaven/english_Bibleverses.html

Protestants are largely unaware of the magnitude of the threat to Christianity presented by the Marian movement

We suspect that many well-meaning protestants who are enthusiastically promoting this movie are not aware that Satan is using the Marian movement, and this movie to promote heresies that are so serious that the people who believe in them should rightfully be viewed as cultists.

Like most protestants, we were initially not aware of the seriousness of the threat to Christianity that the Marian movement presented. This is in spite of the fact that I am a former Catholic. It wasn't until we watched a video produced by Jim Tetlow of Eternal Productions titled Messages from Heaven that we finally started to understand the magnitude of the problem. We strongly encourage Christians to watch this video before they spend any further time and effort promoting the Passion movie. Mr. Tetlow has given us permission to stream this entire video on our web site. It is also available on his web site. You can watch this video right now in its entirety by clicking on either of the two links below:

http://www.harpazo.net/EternalProductions/ApparitionsofMary/

http://creationists.org/MessagesFromHeaven/english.html

Links that critically analyze the movie and those who are behind it

We've found a couple of web sites that have done a particularly good job of analyzing the doctrinal problems with this movie and those who are behind it. Links to both of them appear below. As we find other links, they'll be added to this page.

http://harpazo.net/EternalProductions/Passion.html

http://www.letgodbetrue.com/TodaysWorld/passion.htm

Gods warnings about promoting the efforts of heretics

As mentioned earlier, we have seen several prominent protestant Christian leaders promoting this movie. We also see most of them failing to provide their congregations with the appropriate strong warnings about the people who are behind it and what their motives are. These protestant leaders appear to be ignoring these important warnings from God about how Christians should respond to heretics:

If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into [your] house, neither bid him God speed For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.
2 John 110-11

Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
2 Corinthians 6:14

But what I do, that I will do, that I may cut off occasion from them which desire occasion; that wherein they glory, they may be found even as we. For such [are] false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. Therefore [it is] no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.
2 Corinthians 11:12-15 (See John Calvin's commentary on verses 7-12 and 13-15)

Conclusion

We encourage our Christian brothers and sisters who are currently promoting this movie to carefully consider the arguments against it that we and others are making. Don't let the powerful emotional appeal of this movie overwhelm your ability and willingness to critically analyze it and the people who are behind it. Take the time to check out how both square with God's Word. We believe that if you will take the time to do this, that you will likely conclude as we have that Christians have no business promoting this movie or the people behind it. Given the very real possibly that the Marian movement could play a major role in helping the anti-Christ form his anti-Jesus one world religion, we need to think long and hard about whether or not we should be giving:

a) so much of our money (which is really God's money) to support people who may then take it and use it against us by promoting serious heresies and

b) so much notoriety and power to people who are heretics bent on promoting the Satanic Marian movement. Remember that we should not base our decisions about this by the apparent sincerity of Mel Gibson, Jim Caviezel and others associated with the movie. God tells us to test their spirits by comparing the doctrines they promote against scriptures.

You will answer to God on Judgment Day if you choose wrong on this issue. You may also live to see the day where the anti-Christ himself capitalizes on the efforts of Mel Gibson and others who've promoted the Marian movement. Do you really want to have to explain to God why you chose to give money he blessed you with to this spiritually dangerous cause? Do the protestant leaders who are so enthusiastically promoting this movie want to have to explain to God why they did so without first using proper discernment, or why they didn't warn their congregations about the huge spiritual threat this movie and it's creators present to true Christianity? We pray that if you are currently someone who is promoting this movie that the Lord will reveal to you the great spiritual risks you are taking by doing so.

Gary Martin
Founder of the Young Earth Creation Club

References

1. http://www.christianitytoday.com/movies/commentaries/passion-melmarymothers.html March 6, 2004.

2. http://www.medjugorje.hr/int%20Caviezel%20ENG.htm (interview on a Catholic radio program)

http://www.creationists.org/passionmovie1.html

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carmela
Advanced Member
Member # 4817

BB I think it really depends on how prepared the individual is that is watching the movie. Yes, I think it can be a tool to draw people to God. If someone goes to see the movie and they are ready for harvest, they may repent. If another is so hard hearted already, then they may not get it.

There was someone on the news here shortly after the movie opened. There was a gentleman that killed his girlfriend and no one ever knew what happened to her. There weren't any leads in the case if I can remember right. Well, he went to see this movie and he turned himself in and told the whole story because he repented. He say the truth of who Jesus really was and it changed his entire life.

There was also another story on the news. This one was about the Purpose Driven Life book. There was a black guy being brought into court by a woman police officer. He tackled her, killed the judge and someone else and killed another cop as he was leaving the building. He went to the parking garage, attacked another man but didn't kill him and stole his care. Later that night he saw a women coming home from work. He held her up at gun point and hid in her apartment. She asked him, "please don't kill me because I'm the only parent my daughter has. Last year someone killed her father. This woman spent the entire night witnessing to him from the PDL book. By morning, he repented, accepted Jesus as his Savior and turned himself in.

Do I think these sources work? Definitely. I have seen the proof.

When I went to see the Passion movie, it changed my life. I realized that the price Jesus pain wasn't a small thing. It was even bigger then I had realized. I guess that is why it breaks my heart when I see people in this forum running each other down or talking harshly to each other. I think, what must Jesus be feeling to see His CHILDREN (we are all HIS) being treated so poorly. If it's breaking my spirit to read it, which is why I asked David to start this forum, I can only imagine how it must make Jesus feel. After all, He didn't just die for my sins, he died for yours, Hisgrace, HFHS, TG...everyone here. So whether we agree with doctrine or not, we should be respecting and loving each other to the end.

--------------------
www.pinecrest.org

Bloodbought
Advanced Member
Member # 4365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bloodbought     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It has been said that the teaching of “The Passion of the Christ” has the potential to convert many to Christ. I don’t know how successful or otherwise it has been, but can this method of teaching be of spiritual advantage from an evangelical perspective?
Posts: 822 | From: Ireland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bloodbought
Advanced Member
Member # 4365

When the movie, “The Passion of the Christ” was released, it was hailed by some as one of the greatest tools of evangelism. Has that been the case? I don’t know. I believe the only method authorised by the Lord for evangelising is by Spirit filled preachers preaching from His word, any other gospel is false.

Do you think some movies are another form of false teaching?

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement