Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Miscellaneous   » Political Discussion   » FBI Abusing the Patriot Act?

Author Topic: FBI Abusing the Patriot Act?
daniel19
Community Member
Member # 5381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daniel19   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When powers such as the Patriot Act allows are given to any government, they will inevitably be abused.

The Act has been used on pot dealers, to topless bar owners, to innocent toy store owners, to artists. The Patriot Act is expanding its reach to the common criminal, and even the innocent.

Here are a few quick examples:

Homeland Security Agents Visit Toy Store (AP)

Link here

FBI says Patriot Act used in Vegas strip club corruption probe (AP)

link here

Art becomes the next suspect in America's 9/11 paranoia (London Guardian)

Link here

Will America fall into a despotic military style police state, or has it already?

Just take a look at some recent headlines:

Knoxville citizens train to fight terror ( Link )

"For the first time in America, the Governor's Office Of Homeland Security is training a select group of people from Knoxville on how to better track terrorist activity. With help from the Department of Homeland Security, the state office is teaching civilians how to use a terror tracking program, called the Homeland Security Information Network."

"VIPER" teams to patrol mass transit ( Link )

"A viper team will consist of two air marshals, one TSA bomb-sniffing-canine team, one or two transportation security inspectors, one local law enforcement officer, and one other TSA employee. Some members of the team will be obvious to the traveling public and wear jackets bearing the TSA name on the back. Others will be plainclothes air marshals scanning the crowds for suspicious individuals."

Miami police take new tack against terror ( Link )

"MIAMI (AP) — Police are planning "in-your-face" shows of force in public places, saying the random, high-profile security operations will keep terrorists guessing about where officers might be next.

As an example, uniformed and plainclothes officers might surround a bank building unannounced, contact the manager about ways to be vigilant against terrorists and hand out leaflets in three languages to customers and people passing by, said police spokesman Angel Calzadilla."

--------------------
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Samuel Clemens

Posts: 16 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hardcore
Advanced Member
Member # 4492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hardcore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just as it narrows the mind. And when the drums of war have reached a fever pitch and the blood boils with hate and the mind has closed, the leader will have no need in seizing the rights of the citizenry. Rather, the citizenry, infused with fear and blinded by patriotism, will offer up all of their rights unto the leader and gladly so. How do I know? For this is what I have done. And I am Caesar." - Julius Caesar
Posts: 627 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seashells
Community Member
Member # 5246

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seashells     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok, I guess i cannot say c-r-a-p. Sorry. How about garbage?
Posts: 9 | From: MN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seashells
Community Member
Member # 5246

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seashells     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I didn't say that. I said I would want to see what other credible sources say. So far I haven't found any other articles on this. Many times these people who report news are just overblowing stories to cause the public to be maddened. Half the time the stuff isn't even true. Take Dan Rather for instance. He reported total lies about Bush and then he never even apologized. I don't believe anything that comes out of their mouths. And Yahoo is one of those places that reports **** . The Washington Post and NY Times reported Rather's garbage without even checking his sources. Then later we found out that his sources were bogus. I don't trust the liberal media. I'm not saying that all conservative media is genuine either, but there are many that report fairly and Yahoo, in my opinion, is not one of those people.
Posts: 9 | From: MN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jackanapes
Member # 5243

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jackanapes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So because this article happens to come from Yahoo, you don't believe that our individual rights as citizens are threatened by the governments expanded powers granted by this act?
Posts: 6 | From: Ohio | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seashells
Community Member
Member # 5246

Anything that mentions the ACLU as a "source" in my opinion is pure garbage. Yahoo is a liberal source of news. I guess I would want to read what other credible sources have to say before I start freaking out about nothing.
Jackanapes
Member # 5243

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Jackanapes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051107/ap_on_go_co/patriot_act_records

I don't know about you folks, but stuff like this gives me the willies.

How DO you folks feel about this?

Posts: 6 | From: Ohio | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement