Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » Do Christians Live On Easy Street?

Author Topic: Do Christians Live On Easy Street?
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The following verses cause me to think that we do not live lives of just comfort and abundance without trials and service.

Matthew 10
38 If you refuse to take up your cross and follow me , you are not worthy of being mine. 39 If you cling to your life, you will lose it; but if you give up your life for me, you will find it.

Matthew 16
24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross, and follow me . 25 If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake, you will save it.

John 12
23 Jesus replied, “Now the time has come for the Son of Man to enter into his glory. 24 I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat is planted in the soil and dies, it remains alone. But its death will produce many new kernels—a plentiful harvest of new lives. 25 Those who love their life in this world will lose it . Those who care nothing for their life in this world will keep it for eternity. 26 Anyone who wants to be my disciple must follow me, because my servants must be where I am. And the Father will honor anyone who serves me.

John 16
33 I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows . But take heart, because I have overcome the world.”

John 17
14 I have given them your word. And the world hates them because they do not belong to the world , just as I do not belong to the world. 15 I’m not asking you to take them out of the world, but to keep them safe from the evil one. 16 They do not belong to this world any more than I do .

Hebrews 12
5 And have you forgotten the encouraging words God spoke to you as his children? He said,

“My child, don’t make light of the Lord’s discipline,
and don’t give up when he corrects you.
6 For the Lord disciplines those he loves,
and he punishes each one he accepts as his child.”

7 As you endure this divine discipline, remember that God is treating you as his own children. Who ever heard of a child who is never disciplined by its father? 8 If God doesn’t discipline you as he does all of his children, it means that you are illegitimate and are not really his children at all.

The apostles suffered. Christians throughout the centuries have suffered. Christians today in other parts of the world suffer.

So, do Christians live on easy street? We are blessed in many ways, especially with spiritual blessings.

But is our purpose simply to expect our Lord Jesus Christ do everything for us? NO! He is not our servant. We are His servants as we obey His commandments and the Holy Spirit produces fruit and good works through us.

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement