Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » What is Your HOPE?

Author Topic: What is Your HOPE?
Zeena
Advanced Member
Member # 7223

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zeena   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by apilgrim2:
Does saying that one "hopes" for something imply that its fulfillment is not certain?

No.

For your hope is founded on the Rock! [Wink]

1 Peter 2:6
For in Scripture it says:
"See, I lay a stone in Zion,
a chosen and precious cornerstone,
and the one who trusts in him
will never be put to shame."

quote:
I hope for the resurrection to eternal life that is promised in Christ Jesus, and I BELIEVE without doubt that that resurrection is mine by the Word of the Lord.

So, then, just what does "hope" mean in this context?

Blessings in the Beloved,

-apilgrim2

That He will not abandon your soul to Hades, that He will raise you up with Him and that He will cause your lowly body to be transformed into the image of His Glorious Body.

For we hope in God, who raises both the dead and the living!!! [Big Grin]

Blessings abound in Christ precious Saint! [clap2]

--------------------
Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

But I trust that ye shall know that we are not reprobates.

Posts: 749 | From: Toronto, Canada-EH! | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
apilgrim2
Advanced Member
Member # 7182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for apilgrim2   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you KnowHim for an inspiring post. I never cease to be struck by the magnitude of His Grace! It knocks me to my knees!!

quote:
Indeed, my HOPE is the fulfillment of the perfect will of God the Father in Christ Jesus our LORD.

Indeed, I came to that hope when I came to the end of my pathetic self, and I realized that no matter how "great" the things I did appeared to be, I was dead where I stood, and I was acting out my own ruin day by day.

Indeed, I finally came to understand that the Scriptures which most succinctly express my hope are those of the prison epistles of the Apostle Paul, the Apostle of the Gentiles who wrote of the revelation of the ONE NEW MAN who is neither Jew NOR Gentile, but who stands before God the Father as A NEW CREATION in Christ Jesus.

Praise the faithfulness of the One Who IS OUR LIFE.

Amen and amen,

-apilgrim2

As I re-read this section of my response posting to Clifford's wonderful posting, I realized that I was expressing hope that something inevitable would come to pass. Does that make sense?

Does saying that one "hopes" for something imply that its fulfillment is not certain?

I hope for the resurrection to eternal life that is promised in Christ Jesus, and I BELIEVE without doubt that that resurrection is mine by the Word of the Lord.

So, then, just what does "hope" mean in this context?

Blessings in the Beloved,

-apilgrim2

--------------------
"Relativity applies to physics, NOT ethics." - A. Einstein

Posts: 49 | From: Sacramento California | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeena
Advanced Member
Member # 7223

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zeena   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KnowHim:
Praise to our Lord Jesus Christ whom paid our sin dept so we might know Him!

Amen, and AMEN! [clap2]

--------------------
Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

Posts: 749 | From: Toronto, Canada-EH! | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 16 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) What is your HOPE?

My hope and the joy set before me is knowing Jesus Christ now and for eternity.

2) How did you come to that HOPE?

I was drawn to this hope by hearing the word of God via the Bible and by the drawing power of the Holy Spirit.

3) Which Scriptures most succinctly express your HOPE?

He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him. - John 14:21

4) Are the answers to such questions no one's business but your own?

They are eveyone's business and we ALL need to share this with the world. People that actually know Jesus Christ are glad to tell people about their first love.

Praise to our Lord Jesus Christ whom paid our sin dept so we might know Him!

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
apilgrim2
Advanced Member
Member # 7182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for apilgrim2   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings becauseHelives,

Thank you for this wonderful expression of HOPE!

As I read of your wondrous blessings I am blessed thereby, and look forward in the hope that even more of our brothers and sisters in Christ will feel lead to share their HOPE . . .

Blessings in The Beloved,

apilgrim2

--------------------

Posts: 49 | From: Sacramento California | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great topic, tremendous, from the heart expressions of Faith...

1) What is your HOPE?

My hope is in the finished work of Yahshua,

His death,
His burial
and His Resurrection

my hope in in the Blood of Yahshua on the Mercy Seat placed once and for ever more in the presence of One and Only Father and Judge of all, Yahweh.

but my hope also contains the knowledge that Yahshua did not do what He did to leave me in the condition He found me, but that through that wonderful thing the Apostle Paul says we are saved by "Grace" that as I yield to the work of the Holy Spirit, as I take up my cross daily, as I die daily, as I crucify this flesh that is the enemy of man and the enemy of the Spirit of Yahweh I am transform day by day into the image of Yahshua.

I came to this hope when I reach the end of my abilities...I was raised a heathen, thanks to public school a was a pervert sexual deviant at the early age of 12 years old and by the time I was 19 I was as wicked as they come...

I had married and had a child, a little girl...
when she was 14 months old she was diagnosed with cancer of the kidneys, the hospital gave us no hope, they said she had a 1 chance in a 1000 of living till her 5th birthday....

to make a long story short....

Yahweh through a little boy "Randy Taggert" that I meet at the hospital during my daughters stay... saw me crying and said "hey mister what's the matter" .... those words were Yahweh speaking directly to me...

i knelt down this little boy in his hospital gown slit up the back and an IV stuck in one arm holding the IV pole sat in my lap and put his free arm around my neck and ask me that question again...."hey mister what's the matter, why you crying"

i answered that they had just told us that our little girl was going to die and I did know what else to do....

His answer would a few minutes later rock my world... "Mister you do not need to worry, he said God has everything under control"

As I left him there in the hall still walking a nurse at the nurses station stop me and said " I saw you talking to Randy what did he say to you."

I told he he said God had everything under control...

she said didn't mean much to you did it .

I said no...

she said he has already been told he will never see his next birthday... he was then six years old ... I helped carry his casket before his 7th birthday.

Yahweh/God brought me hope through that little boys faith...

and my little girl Yahweh healed of Cancer, she is now 37 years old, has given us 10 grandchildren all born at home and has never seen a Doctor since she was 17 months old, when we took her from the hospital out of medical care and put her in the care of Yahshua the great physician, my prayer was then if she lives fine, if she lives fine God it is all in your hands, thy will be done not mine.

Psalm 51

To the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David; when Nathan the prophet came to him after he had sinned with Bathsheba.

1HAVE MERCY upon me, O God, according to Your steadfast love; according to the multitude of Your tender mercy and loving-kindness blot out my transgressions.

2Wash me thoroughly [and repeatedly] from my iniquity and guilt and cleanse me and make me wholly pure from my sin!

3For I am conscious of my transgressions and I acknowledge them; my sin is ever before me.

4Against You, You only, have I sinned and done that which is evil in Your sight, so that You are justified in Your sentence and faultless in Your judgment.(A)

5Behold, I was brought forth in [a state of] iniquity; my mother was sinful who conceived me [and I too am sinful].(B)

6Behold, You desire truth in the inner being; make me therefore to know wisdom in my inmost heart.

7Purify me with hyssop, and I shall be clean [ceremonially]; wash me, and I shall [in reality] be whiter than snow.

8Make me to hear joy and gladness and be satisfied; let the bones which You have broken rejoice.

9Hide Your face from my sins and blot out all my guilt and iniquities.

10Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right, persevering, and steadfast spirit within me.

11Cast me not away from Your presence and take not Your Holy Spirit from me.

12Restore to me the joy of Your salvation and uphold me with a willing spirit.

13Then will I teach transgressors Your ways, and sinners shall be converted and return to You.

14Deliver me from bloodguiltiness and death, O God, the God of my salvation, and my tongue shall sing aloud of Your righteousness (Your rightness and Your justice).

15O Lord, open my lips, and my mouth shall show forth Your praise.

16For You delight not in sacrifice, or else would I give it; You find no pleasure in burnt offering.(C)

17My sacrifice [the sacrifice acceptable] to God is a broken spirit; a broken and a contrite heart [broken down with sorrow for sin and humbly and thoroughly penitent], such, O God, You will not despise.

18Do good in Your good pleasure to Zion; rebuild the walls of Jerusalem.

19Then will You delight in the sacrifices of righteousness, justice, and right, with burnt offering and whole burnt offering; then bullocks will be offered upon Your altar.

A gift that has any string attached is not a gift, but a gift that is never used is useless!

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeena
Advanced Member
Member # 7223

WELCOME to the Christian BBS Clifford! [Kiss]

--------------------

apilgrim2
Advanced Member
Member # 7182

Dear Brother Clifford, what a stunning series of answers!

Your use of the terms "dispensation" and "stewardship" more than suggest your practical familiarity with the significance of Hebrews 1:1-2.

Your answer to question #3 lists those epistles of Paul which were written exclusively during periods of his imprisonment, and suggests a discernment of the differences between Paul's first and second sets of seven epistles.

In the following verses from Epheisans 3 we read of things revealed to Paul by the Lord, and in turn revealed by Paul to the discerning student of Scripture who rightly divides the Word of Truth:

Eph 3:1 For this cause I Paul, the prisoner of Jesus Christ for you Gentiles,
Eph 3:2 If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:
Eph 3:3 How that BY REVELATION he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words,
Eph 3:4 Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)
Eph 3:5 Which IN OTHER AGES WAS NOT MADE KNOWN UNOT THE SONS OF MEN, as IT IS NOW REVEALED unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;
Eph 3:6 That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel:
Eph 3:7 Whereof I was made a minister, according to the gift of the grace of God given unto me by the effectual working of his power.
Eph 3:8 Unto me, who am less than the least of all saints, is this grace given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ;
Eph 3:9 And TO MAKE ALL MEN SEE WHAT IS THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE MYSTERY, WHICH from the beginning of the world HATH BEEN HID IN GOD, who created all things by Jesus Christ:

While all of Scripture is given for our learning, all of Scripture is not about US, the faithful of today.

Paul tells us, in those of his epistles written during his imprisonment, and which were the last of the epistles written by the one who referred to himself as "the Apostle to the Gentiles", that he had been ordained to "...MAKE ALL MEN SEE WHAT IS THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE MYSTERY, WHICH from the beginning of the world HATH BEEN HID IN GOD...".

Paul's prison epistles are our specific "marching orders". They are Truth for TODAY, and in them is revealed for us WHAT IS OUR HOPE, and they are the epistles that reveal HOW WE COME TO THAT HOPE, and that we must share that hope if we are to MAKE ALL MEN SEE WHAT IS THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE MYSTERY.

Indeed, my HOPE is the fulfillment of the perfect will of God the Father in Christ Jesus our LORD.

Indeed, I came to that hope when I came to the end of my pathetic self, and I realized that no matter how "great" the things I did appeared to be, I was dead where I stood, and I was acting out my own ruin day by day.

Indeed, I finally came to understand that the Scriptures which most succinctly express my hope are those of the prison epistles of the Apostle Paul, the Apostle of the Gentiles who wrote of the revelation of the ONE NEW MAN who is neither Jew NOR Gentile, but who stands before God the Father as A NEW CREATION in Christ Jesus.

Praise the faithfulness of the One Who IS OUR LIFE.

Amen and amen,

-apilgrim2

--------------------

Clifford
Community Member
Member # 7264

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clifford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone;

Just by way of brief introduction: I am a born anew believer in the Lord Jesus Christ since 1954 and as a young man and later in my life, have been studying the scriptures diligently, seeking after those things wherein Christ is revealed and after the will of the Heavely Father for my life.

I would like to address the posting of apligrim2/Michael in this thread.

As to question #1, What is your hope?

This is stated with clarity in Colossians 3:4; "When Christ [who is our life, i.e., life eternal] appears, then you also will appear with Him in Glory [i.e., the super heavens, in the full light of the Shekinah Glory of God]. NKJV

The appearing here, is the Greek word Epiphaneia and refers to that appearing wherein Christ is revealed as the head of all creation, and when He receives all of his titles, crowns and accolades. See, Eph. 3:10,11; Eph. 1:19-23.

As to question #2, How did you come to that Hope?

Scripture tells us in John 16:13, 14, how we are to be taught in this age, or dispensation (Stewardship) and gives the method of our learning and teaching. Verse 13 states, "However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on his own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come."

And verse 14 states, "He will glorify me, for He will take of what is mine and declare it to you." NKJV

These two remarkable statements then, eliminate the need for "teaching" of the word by human agency and declare that the deep and hidden things of God can only be learned by revelation by the Holy Spirit. Men can "guide" but cannot reveal. So if we are to learn about the deeper things of God that are in the scriptures, then we must ask for and be ready to receive them by revelation of the Holy Spirit. This then eliminates all discussion as to right or wrong regarding scriptural truth. The word declares itself to be truth, and these verses say that this "truth" can and will be revealed to the believer only through the agency of the Holy Spirit. So, like everything else in the word, our hope has to be revealed to us by careful study of the word using the principals of study given by Paul in 2 Tim. 2:15, which says "Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." NKJV
and adding the exhortation of Heb. 1:1,2 "God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past unto the fathers by the phrophets, Has in these last days spoken to us by his son, who He has appointed heir of all things, through whom He also made the worlds." NKJV, and finally Eph. 3: 8,9; "To me, who am the least of all the Saints, this grace was given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ". NKJV, "and to make all men see, what is the fellowship of the Mystery, which from the beginning of the ages been hidden in God who created all things through Jesus Christ." NKJV

Here we have the following: Truth is revealed to us by the Holy Spirit. God has revealed his truth by different means to different people at different times. That in these last days, the Holy Spirit revealed to the Apostle Paul a special Gospel called the Mystery. So the answer to question #2 is; I came to this Hope by revelation of the Holy Spirit and by reading the later epistles of the Apostle Paul where the truth of this Mystery can be found.

As to question #3, Which scriptures most succinctly express your hope?

This is answered in the following scriptures;

The whole of Ephesians Chapter 1:9-14; Ephesians Chapter 3; Philippians Chapter 3; 2 Tim. 1:8-12; and Colossians 1:24-29. NJKV

As to question #4, Are the answers to such questions no one's business but your own?

Paul gives us the premier example of the attitude we should have regarding the issue of telling others about our faith and hope: 2 Tim. Chapter 2:1-7. NJKV

Note that the Apostle asks Timothy to make supplications, prayers, intercessions and most of all, with the giving of thanks, be made for ALL men. He specifically names governmental leaders in his list, such as Kings and ALL who are in authority, for a specific reason, and that is that "that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence", that God, our savior, "Desires" that ALL men to be saved and come to the knowledge of the truth" [note here: its is God's DESIRE, not a fact, that all men be saved and come to a knowledge of the truth]and that Paul was indeed appointed a preacher of the gospel. Therefore, we should adopt the "desire" of God in that all men should be saved and come to a knowledge of the truth. We can only do this by "telling" others about our faith, and giving out the gospel to all who inquire, or at every opportunity that presents itself. This is a gift to be shared, not horded.

Thank you all for letting me give you a few thoughts on these provocative questions. Please, search and see in the Berean spirit to see if these things be so. Take no man's word about anything scriptural. By prayer, and the revelation of the Holy Spirit, strive to become the complete man of Philippians. Thoroughly furnished in order to walk in the works fore-ordaind for the believer by God.

In Christ's name,

Clifford Dahl

Posts: 11 | From: Sacramento, CA USA | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
apilgrim2
Advanced Member
Member # 7182

Zeena and Billy . . . Thank you both for your wonderful responses to these questions . . . and may the Lord bless and keep you now, forever, and always in His precious care.

-Michael in Sacramento

--------------------

Billy
Advanced Member
Member # 7193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) What is your HOPE?

We place our hope in the saving grace of God.

For it is for this we labor and strive, because we have fixed our hope on the living God, who is the Savior of all men, especially of believers.

We hope to be put in a right standing with God.

Galatians 5:5
For we through the Spirit, by faith, are waiting for the hope of righteousness.

We hope to spend eternity with Christ, Who died so that we could pass through the narrow gate.

Colossians 1:5
because of the hope laid up for you in heaven, of which you previously heard in the word of truth, the gospel

We hope to be in the presence of our Lord.

1Thessalonians
For who is our hope or joy or crown of exultation? Is it not even you, in the presence of our Lord Jesus at His coming?

We hope for grace, because we are "sinners in the hands of an angry God."

1Peter 1:13
Therefore, prepare your minds for action, keep sober in spirit, fix your hope completely on the grace to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ.

Wow! This was a long process. It started with God seeking me, and not the other way around. God sought me out and sent people my way that could teach me the errors of my understanding of scripture (namely that I thought I could "live" as a "carnal" Christian, and still think that I was truly regenerated). He broke me down. I prayed that He would soften my hard heart, and He did. It nearly destroyed my marriage, because I was so ungodly. I had to bring all my sins to the light.

At this point, I humbled myself to the Almighty, repented of my sins and put all of my faith in Jesus Christ to save me from God's holy and righteous wrath. From that time, I have devoted myself to understanding more about the One that saved me from my sins, and from the end result of them (hell). I daily examine myself, and daily, I find ways in which I can improve my walk, whether it is a sin that the Lord is convicting me of for the first time, or a discipline that He would have me learn. This is the fruit of the Spirit, through Whom I place my hope in Jesus Christ for my salvation.

Romans 4:16
For this reason it is by faith, in order that it may be in accordance with grace, so that the promise will be guaranteed to all the descendants, not only to those who are of the Law, but also to those who are of the faith of Abraham, who is the father of us all,

Matthew 28:19&20
19 "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."

Romans 1:16
For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.

In Christ,
Billy.

--------------------
Test yourselves to be sure that you are in the faith.

- The Apostle Paul

Posts: 217 | From: overseas | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeena
Advanced Member
Member # 7223

quote:

1) What is your HOPE?

To be saved.

quote:

By God showing me, Scripturally, I need to be saved.

quote:

Romans 8:24
For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for?

quote:

No, for we are exhorted by God's Word to always be ready to give account for the hope that is in us. [Smile]

quote:
God bless and keep you in His perfect care always,

-Michael in Sacramento
grin4all2c@yahoo.com [/QB]

God bless you too Michael. [Smile]

--------------------

apilgrim2
Advanced Member
Member # 7182

Thank you Betty Louise.

So, I understand that your hope is most clearly expressed as follows:

1. The LORD Jesus Christ IS your Hope

2. You came to that hope by Christ Jesus.

3. 1 Timothy 1:1 most succinctly expresses your hope.

4. Since your hope lies exclusively in the PERSON of your beloved Savior and LORD, Jesus Christ, HE is the center and circumference of your faith. All other ground is no secure place to stand.

Thank you for sharing your hope!

-apilgrim2

--------------------

Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"My Hope is Built on Nothing Less"
by Edward Mote, 1797-1874

1. My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus' blood and righteousness;
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly lean on Jesus' name.
On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand.

2. When darkness veils His lovely face,
I rest on His unchanging grace;
In every high and stormy gale
My anchor holds within the veil.

3. His oath, His covenant, and blood
Support me in the whelming flood;
When every earthly prop gives way,
He then is all my Hope and Stay.

4. When He shall come with trumpet sound,
Oh, may I then in Him be found,
Clothed in His righteousness alone,
Faultless to stand before the throne!

Hymn #370
The Lutheran Hymnal
Text: 1 Timothy 1:1
Author: Edward Mote, c. 1834, cento
Composer: John Stainer, 1873, arr.
Tune: "Magdalen"

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
apilgrim2
Advanced Member
Member # 7182

Greetings brothers and sisters in Christ,

I am a student of the Bible of some twelve years. My salvation was received and believed in my heart and confessed with my mouth, and my student journey begun, at age 41.

This posting is in the right category . . . Honest! But first I feel compelled to share an important bit about myself:

I begin each day with about an hour of study and prayer before going out into the world to work in regional government in an accounting capacity for the Department of Human Assistance (a.k.a. "Welfare"). I end each day with further reading, study, and prayer. In addition, I find myself writing a great deal about the fruits of my studies, and about the issues the Holy Spirit plants in the field of my heart.

With this in mind . . . would you be willing to share a bit about yourself?

1) What is your HOPE?

God bless and keep you in His perfect care always,

-Michael in Sacramento
grin4all2c@yahoo.com

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement