Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » How can peace of mind be possible?

Author Topic: How can peace of mind be possible?
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 15 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once you have committed yourself to seeking the Kingdom of God, then you can have peace of mind.

I do not find that particular statement in scripture….

But Isaiah 26:3 …Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.

The examples are many in scripture and history of men, women and children who have experienced perfect peace in circumstances that seem impossible to do so.

A chapter in the life of becauseHElives includes a time when everything seemed to crash in on me and I thought I would not make it.

I came home from work one day to find my wife standing in the door crying uncontrollably and one of my daughters standing behind her crying … I did not know what to think, all kinds of thoughts ran through my mind in a instant, had someone died, what kind of tragedy could this be.

All Debbie my wife kept say was its bad Dale, its bad…

My mind is now in a blur, what was so bad…

My daughter Joani stepped in front of her mom and said dad I’ve been raped and I’m pregnant …. Can you ever forgive me? I have failed you.

Now for some back ground material so you may understand a little better…

My wife and I have 5 girls, we have home schooled them all their whole life, trying to protect them from the cruelties of this world.

Our first born Jackie is the method Yahweh used to bring me into the Kingdom, in 1974 I was a heathen of the greatest magnitude, I loved myself so much it was pathetic, everything was about my happiness, my wife was to make me happy, my new baby was to make me happy, everything was about me and my happiness …

But in Yahweh’s great love He knows exactly what we need at every point in our life, He know exactly what pain to bring to bring Him Glory.

Jackie was 14 month old, our only child at the time and the complete joy of my life. Everything I did was aimed at her, my work was a joy because I could look forward to coming home and hold her, love her and a wife that loved me and a baby that was part of our love what more could anyone hope for… or so I thought..

One day I got a call at work, an emergency, come home at once baby sick.

My heart sank; despair griped me as tight as the darkness in the deepest cave where there is no light.

I rushed home to find Debbie waiting for me at the door. She begins to tell me what Dr. LeBlanc our pediatrician had told her about Jackie’s condition. Debbie and her mother had brought Jackie to the Doctor that morning after Debbie had change a diaper and found the diaper solid pink. Dr. Leblanc suspected cancer and advised us to go immediately to Houston for test to find out for sure what the problem was.

So in the car we get and rush the baby to Texas Children’s Hospital… our minds in a whirl, no peace to be found.

After series of test, Dr Harburg meets with Debbie and me to tell us the finding of the test.

It is cancer, cancer of the kidneys, clinical term “Whelms Tumor”, he explains it is the size of a large grapefruit about 6” in diameter. He tell us she has less than 1 chance in a 1000 of living to 5 years old.

I don’t think I could have been more devastated.

I left Debbie and the Doctor alone in the room, I left crying, words can not convey the pain I felt, the total helplessness that grasp me. The baby I loved, the baby that gave my life purpose being taken from me.

As I moved down the hospital hallway crying, something was going to happen that would forever change my life …. God was about to arrange a divine appointment. Standing in the hallway in the door of the room next to Jackie’s was a little boy…he was skin and bones, shaggy kind of bowl cut thin hair, little hospital bed shirt split up the back, under wear showing, one arm attached to an IV Pole just standing there.

When he saw me, he said “why you crying mister”, that been 32 years ago and I can still hear his little voice, his real concern for my tears “why are you crying”…

I knelt in the floor to talk to him face to face, he put his free arm around my neck and crawled in my lap… and said those words again “why are you crying”.

I answered him through my tears… “The Doctor told us that our little girl has cancer and is going to die and I don’t know what else to do”

He then replied in a knowing beyond his little six year old reasoning… “Don’t worry mister God has everything under control”.

I walked away still crying, as I got to the nurses station, a nurse stopped me and said “I saw you talking to Randy”, ….that was the first time I heard his name, I found out later his full name was Randy Taggert . The nurse continues “I saw you talking with Randy, what did he say to you?”

I answered her he told me…“Don’t worry mister God has everything under control”.

The nurse then said “didn’t mean much to you did it?”

I answered “he’s just a little boy”

She said “he has already been told he will never see his next birthday!”

I went away crying now more than before and my tears were not to stop for some time.

I continued at the hospital as long as I could but I eventually had to go back to work, Debbie stayed at the hospital with Jackie as the started treatments.

But the time I stayed at the hospital, I spent the night with Randy in his room because Jackie’s room only had one couch/bed and Debbie slept with Jackie. Randy slept alone and he and I became best friends as I slept in his room.

In this experience here again God would teach me much…I wondered why this little boy had no one to stay with him… where was his mother…where was his father… why wasn’t somebody here with him. In his room I got to really know this little guy, he was all boy, playing tricks, telling jokes but his faith in God was always evident. During the day he would go from room to room visiting people that could not get out of bed and tell them about God and His love for man, and God’s Son Jesus and the salvation that Jesus died to bring to all people... Sometime the nurses would have to call him down for using his IV Pole as a skate board. He would just laugh…

I was in Randy’s room for bout 3 weeks, every night at 8:00 PM Randy’s phone would ring, it was his mom. That first week in Randy’s room when Randy would beg his mother “please mommy can’t you come tonight just for a little while” her answer was always the same “Randy you know I can’t come”

I thought what kind of monster this little boy has as a mother!

I meet Randy’s mother that weekend, she came through the door of Randy’s room, Randy went and hugged her, kissed her and told her how much he loved her, how much he missed her.

But in my mind I thought how can he love this woman, she is never here, he begs her to come and stay with him, oh how we can misjudge a situation, how easy it is when we don’t have all the fact to judge someone…

Randy’s mother turned to me and said “thank you for spending time with Randy, he talks about all you the time’ then she said “you must think I’m an awful mother”…
I lied, I said “oh no I don’t think that”…

Then she began to explain that Randy had since birth been in the hospital his whole life except for 360 days, he had 147 major operations, not to count the numerous minor operations. Randy had Cystic fibrosis , he had to have around the clock supervision that could only be given at the hospital. He had to be “clapped” regularly. (this is laying the person on there stomach and carefully with the hands strike the back at the lungs to break up flem, so the patient can breath) .The nurses taught me how to do it and I did Randy at night before bed. She explained the enormous medical bills her and her husband faced, she explained her and her husband had to work 2 jobs each to make ends meet, she explained they had other children at home that needed their attention, she explained she spent as much time with Randy as she possibly could. Randy was 6 years old, think about that.

She made me ashamed of my thoughts about her not being a loving mother

And Yahweh / God will never let me forget it.

After I left Debbie, Jackie and Randy at the hospital, to go home and return back to work I spent most of my waking hours crying, alone with my thought and still no hope in me, no hope for Jackie, no hope for the future. Working construction as carpenter at DuPont I went about my daily task with tears in my eyes, I saw the gentile side of many rough, hard, callous construction workers as they tried to comfort me as best they knew how.

By now about three month has passed week ends back and forth to Houston Texas Medical Center to see Debbie, Jackie and Randy.

One night all alone crying in my bed, I got up crawled on the floor to my knees and cried out to God.

I said these word through my tears…”God I don’t know if you are real or not, people keep telling me you are real and you have everything under control, God if you are real I got to know I can’t go any farther, please God let me know if you are real”

That was my prayer and God heard my cry and answered me, the presence of God Himself filled that room, my heart that was so heavy was for the first time in months free of the pain that had been so over powering. I experienced the peace that passes all understanding.

I got up out of the floor and got dressed, I call work and told them I would not be at work the next day, I had to go to Houston to the hospital.

I drove that night to hospital; I had to share with Debbie what had just happened. When I got there she knew I was changed, everything about me had change.

I told her I meet God, I told her I wanted to put Jackie in God’s hands; I told her I knew live or die it was the only thing to do. She agreed and we began to take Jackie out of the hospital, the Doctors and the Nurses pleaded with us not to do this thing, that we were signing her death warrant to take her out.

I told them “you don’t understand God told me to take my baby home, God said give her to me “

I told them “it wasn’t about my baby living or dying, it was about obeying the voice of God.”

To finish this part of the story I want to say almost exactly one year from the day I meet Randy Taggert I was a poll bearer at his funeral and what a glorious funeral it was. As the preacher preached the message at one point he stopped and read a letter that a lady that could not get to come the funeral sent to Randy’s family…

Here is what I remember of the letter, the lady begins…I was in the hospital with your little boy, I want his family to know what a blessing he was, always coming to my room and talking to me about thing way above his years, I want his family to know at a time when my faith in God had reached an all time low, when I had given up on God your little boy spoke into my life and renewed my relationship with God. God be with you all for your loss but be assured Randy is among those jewels God is gathering around His Throne.

And Jackie, well she is now 34 years old, married to a great Christian man Jon, and has given us 9 wonderful blessings(grandchildren)Malachi, Abigail, Moriah, Obadiah, Jochebed, Keturah, Havilah, Cherith, Tirzah and has not seen a doctor since the day we gave her to God, all the children were born at home delivered by their dad.

God is good all the time.

Now back to Joani….

My daughter Joani stepped in front of her mom and said dad I’ve been raped and I’m pregnant …. Can you ever forgive me? I have failed you.

My response at that moment was …. I broke into tears, I reached for her she fell into my arms and I said “No baby you haven’t failed me I failed you”. She stayed in my embrace for a long time and we both wept.

Never forget what I am about to say….”Christ learned obedience through the things He suffered”

Those that are His true seed, those that bear His name, must learn the same way. He is the Master, Lord, Teacher and the student, the child, the disciple is not greater, they must learn in the same manner Yeshua learned.
Joani has always been a beautiful girl, beautiful inside and out. After graduating from Home School, she got a full scholarship in music to go to College. She was very naïve and very trusting and allowed herself to get in a position at college in the music hall where a young man called her into a dark room and raped her. She was ashamed and did not tell anyone and tried to put it behind her but then she found she was pregnant. She told the young man that she was pregnant and he tried to get her to go to an abortion clinic. She went with him but Praise God when they got there, she could not go through with it, the boy pleaded but she ran away from him and came home and told her mother the whole story.

I went to the young man and confronted him; I brought a brother in Christ with me as a witness. I first told this young man he was very lucky I was a Christian, I told him to his face if he had done this before I was born again there would be no discussion he would be dead! My main concern was for Joani and the baby; I set up a meeting with him, his mother and father to see if anything could be worked out. He was willing to marry Joani but that was not my main concern. My concern was not having my daughter unequally yoked with someone who wasn’t a Christian. I was willing to disciple him in my home until I was sure he was born again. But he and his parents thought I was nuts so they left. That was 10 years ago.

Joani thought her life was over 21 years old with a baby; she thought no decent man would ever want her. Satan battle to get her to leave home, to run away, just give up, and one night she decided to leave. I wasn’t there for some reason that God had ordained, me and her other sisters were away from the house.

People say demons aren’t real, but our family is here to tell you they are just as real today as they were in Jesus day. That night Debbie literally fought the forces of demonic attack as Joani tried to leave. At one point Debbie had to physically hold onto Joani as she prayed till she broke through to God.

During this period after Joani’s life shattering experience, we attended some seminars on ‘Life Changing Principles” the advanced seminars.

God revealed much to us in this period of our lives.

One great truth that stands out above all other is “good and evil travel on parallel tracks and arrive at the same time”.

God says everything that happen to a child of God works for their good.

Romans 8: 22-28
For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now. And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body. For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for? But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it. Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God. And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
Sometime it doesn’t look so good, sometimes the pain is more than we think we should bear but God assures us, He know what we can bear…

No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it. - I Corinthians 10:13

And again in… 2 Corinthians 1:8-9 We do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about the hardships we suffered in the province of Asia. We were under great pressure, far beyond our ability to endure, so that we despaired even of life. Indeed, in our hearts we felt the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead.

Jesus promised trails, tribulations, persecutions but He also promised to be there with us in whatever circumstance we find ourselves in, if we are truly His child.

Good and Evil, where God is Satan will show up at lest until that final great day when Satan at last will be locked away never to challenge God again.

Good and evil, chose you this day God said to our family one day will this cancer be a blessing or a curse.

Good and evil, chose will the rape and pregnancy of your daughter be a blessing or a curse.

By the Grace of God we chose Blessing.

What the enemy meant to destroy us with God turned to His victory in us.

God will do the same for anyone that trust in His ability to take nothing and create the all that exist.

Be Blessed in Jesus / Yeshua’s Name

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear lonlesol...

I wept, I grieved, I curled up into a ball like a clinched fist. And I repeated over and over to myself:

"And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them."
Romans 8:28

I prayed, "Your will be done". lonlesol, the Spirit of the Lord came over me like a soft blanket of peace. And He resolved my situation. I was in too much pain, and too helpless, to do much for myself, but the Lord did it for me. Not overnight, but more quickly than I could have imagined.

Abide. Have faith.

If this will help, here are more thoughts for you.

SUFFERING

UNDERSTANDING SUFFERING
What does the Bible teach us about suffering?

BIBLE READING: Matthew 16:21-28
KEY BIBLE VERSE: From then on Jesus began to tell his disciples plainly that he had to go to Jerusalem, and he told them what would happen to him there. He would suffer at the hands of the leaders and the leading priests and the teachers of religious law. He would be killed, and he would be raised on the third day. (Matthew 16:21)

The Bible clearly shows that God's plan included suffering. This passage corresponds to Daniel's prophecies: the Messiah would be cut off (Daniel 9:26); there would be a period of trouble (Daniel 9:27); and the king would come in glory (Daniel 7:13-14). The disciples would endure the same suffering as their King and, like him, would be rewarded in the end.

Suffering is not always avoidable. Peter, Jesus' friend and devoted follower who had just eloquently proclaimed Jesus' true identity, sought to protect him from the suffering he prophesied. But if Jesus hadn't suffered and died, Peter (and we) would have died in his sins. Be cautious of advice from a friend who says, "Surely God doesn't want you to face this." Often our most difficult temptations come from those who love us and seek to protect us from all harm and discomfort.

BIBLE READING: Mark 9:2-13
KEY BIBLE VERSE: Jesus responded, "Elijah is indeed coming first to set everything in order. Why then is it written in the Scriptures that the Son of Man must suffer and be treated with utter contempt? But I tell you, Elijah has already come, and he was badly mistreated, just as the Scriptures predicted." (Mark 9:12-13)

God is not immune to suffering. It was difficult for the disciples to grasp the idea that their Messiah would have to suffer. The Jews who studied the Old Testament prophecies expected the Messiah to be a great king like David, who would overthrow the enemy, Rome. Their vision was limited to their own time and experience.

They could not understand that the values of God's eternal kingdom were different from the values of the world. They wanted relief from their present problems. But deliverance from sin is far more important than deliverance from physical suffering or political oppression. Our understanding of and appreciation for Jesus must go beyond what he can do for us here and now.

BIBLE READING: John 9:1-41
KEY BIBLE VERSE: "Teacher," his disciples asked him, "why was this man born blind? Was it a result of his own sins or those of his parents?" "It was not because of his sins or his parents' sins," Jesus answered. "He was born blind so the power of God could be seen in him." (John 9:2-3)

Suffering is not always a result of sin. A common belief in Jewish culture was that calamity or suffering was the result of some great sin. But Christ used this man's suffering to teach about faith and to glorify God. We live in a fallen world where good behavior is not always rewarded and bad behavior not always punished. Therefore, innocent people sometimes suffer. If God took suffering away whenever we asked, we would follow him for comfort and convenience, not out of love and devotion. Regardless of the reasons for our suffering, Jesus has the power to help us deal with it. When you suffer from a disease, tragedy, or disability, try not to ask, "Why did this happen to me?" or "What did I do wrong?" Instead, ask God to give you strength for the trial and a clearer perspective on what is happening.

BIBLE READING: 1 Thes. 3:1-8
KEY BIBLE VERSE: When we could stand it no longer, we decided that I should stay alone in Athens, and we sent Timothy to visit you. He is our co-worker for God and our brother in proclaiming the Good News of Christ. We sent him to strengthen you, to encourage you in your faith, and to keep you from becoming disturbed by the troubles you were going through. But, of course, you know that such troubles are going to happen to us Christians. (1 Thes. 3:1-3)

God makes use of suffering in his plan for our life. Some think that troubles are always caused by sin or a lack of faith. Trials may be a part of God's plan for believers. Experiencing problems and persecutions can build character (James 1:2-4), patience (Romans 5:3-5), and sensitivity toward others who also face trouble (2 Cor. 1:3-7). Problems are unavoidable for God's people. Your troubles may be a sign of effective Christian living.

UNDERGOING SUFFERING
What should we remember when we suffer?

BIBLE READING: Luke 21:5-36
KEY BIBLE VERSE: Everyone will hate you because of your allegiance to me. But not a hair of your head will perish! By standing firm, you will win your souls. (Luke 21:17-19)

Jesus never promised that his followers would not suffer. Jesus was not saying that believers would be exempt from physical harm or death during the persecutions. Remember that most of the disciples were martyred. Rather he was saying that none of his followers would suffer spiritual or eternal loss. On earth, everyone will die, but believers in Jesus will be saved for eternal life.

For Christians, there is always hope and joy beyond the suffering. The picture of the coming persecutions and natural disasters is gloomy, but ultimately it is a cause not for worry but for great joy. When believers see these events happening, they will know that the return of their Messiah is near, and they can look forward to his reign of justice and peace. Rather than be terrified by what is happening in our world, we should confidently await Christ's return to bring justice and restoration to his people.

God does not expect us to enjoy suffering. Only days after telling the disciples to pray that they might escape persecution, Jesus himself asked God to spare him the agonies of the cross, if that was God's will (Luke 22:41-42). It is abnormal to want to suffer, but as Jesus' followers we should be willing to suffer if by doing so we can help build God's kingdom. We have two wonderful promises to help us as we suffer: God will always be with us (Matthew 28:20), and he will one day rescue us and give us eternal life (Rev. 21:1-4).

BIBLE READING: Hebrews 2:5-18
KEY BIBLE VERSE: Since he himself has gone through suffering and temptation, he is able to help us when we are being tempted. (Hebrews 2:18)

Through his suffering, Jesus fully identified with us. How was Jesus made perfect through suffering? Jesus' suffering made him a perfect leader, or pioneer, of our salvation. Jesus did not need to suffer for his own salvation, because he was God in human form. His perfect obedience (which led him down the road of suffering) demonstrates that he was the complete sacrifice for us. Through suffering, Jesus completed the work necessary for our own salvation. Our suffering can make us more sensitive servants of God. People who have known pain are able to reach out with compassion to others who hurt. If you have suffered, ask God how your experience can be used to help others.

We know that Jesus understands our suffering and will help us through. Knowing that Christ suffered pain and faced temptation helps us face our trials. Jesus understands our struggles because he faced them as a human being. We can trust Christ to help us survive suffering and overcome temptation. When you face trials, go to Jesus for strength and patience. He understands your needs and is able to help (see Hebrews 4:14-16).

BIBLE READING: Hebrews 5:1-10
KEY BIBLE VERSE: Even though Jesus was God's Son, he learned obedience from the things he suffered. (Hebrews 5:8)

Jesus was willing to obey, even beyond suffering when necessary. Jesus was in great agony as he prepared to face death (Luke 22:41-44). Although Jesus cried out to God asking to be delivered, he was prepared to suffer humiliation, separation from his Father, and death in order to do God's will. At times we will undergo trials, not because we want to suffer, but because we want to obey God. Let Jesus' obedience sustain and encourage you in times of trial. You will be able to face anything if you know that Jesus Christ is with you.

Suffering may be an opportunity to practice submission before God. Have you ever felt that God didn't hear your prayers? Be sure you are praying with reverent submission, willing to do what God wants. God responds to his obedient children.

Jesus did not avoid suffering because he had a higher purpose. Jesus' human life was not a script that he passively followed. It was a life that he chose freely (John 10:17-18). It was a continuous process of making the will of God the Father his own. Jesus chose to obey, even though obedience led to suffering and death. Because Jesus obeyed perfectly, even under great trial, he can help us obey, no matter how difficult obedience seems to be.

BIBLE READING: James 1:2-8
KEY BIBLE VERSE: Dear brothers and sisters, whenever trouble comes your way, let it be an opportunity for joy. For when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. (James 1:2-3)

Suffering is one of the unavoidable passages in life. James doesn't say if you face trials, but whenever you face them. He assumes that we will have trials and that it is possible to profit from them. The point is not to pretend to be happy when we face pain, but to have a positive outlook ("be happy") because of what trials can produce in our life. James tells us to turn our hardships into times of learning. Tough times can teach us patience. For other passages dealing with patience (also called perseverance and steadfastness), see Romans 2:7; Romans 5:3-5; Romans 8:24-25; 2 Cor. 6:3-7; 2 Peter 1:2-9.

What is true will remain true, even in suffering. We can't really know the depth of our character until we see how we react under pressure. It is easy to be kind to others when everything is going well, but can we still be kind when others are treating us unfairly? God wants to make us mature and complete, not to keep us from all pain. Instead of complaining about our struggles, we should see them as opportunities for growth. Thank God for promising to be with you in rough times. Ask him to help you solve your problems or to give you the strength to endure them. Then be patient. God will not leave you alone with your problems; he will stay close and help you gro

—Handbook of Bible Application

God bless you, dear friend and sister.

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lonlesol
Advanced Member
Member # 4511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lonlesol   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Once you have committed yourself to seeking the Kingdom of God, then you can have peace of mind.
How can one have peace of mind by committing to seeking the Kingdom of God if it means losing some of their own family members in the process???...
The words in this verse below can really hurt when it becomes reality...

"Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to turn
" 'a man against his father,
a daughter against her mother ,
a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law -
a man's enemies will be the members of his own household.''...Matthew 10:34,35,36

And why not also add ''a husband against his wife''...

Has this happened to any of you as well?...if so, how did you deal with the situation?...

Posts: 478 | From: Quebec | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement