Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » China mission trip

Author Topic: China mission trip
afisherofman
Advanced Member
Member # 6899

Icon 1 posted      Profile for afisherofman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for your response and any to follow. Your input is surely a great help.

I love your story Grams, I come from a catholic background too. I was invited to a worship service by a total stranger who I met in a book store. In the conversation he informed me He was a pastor. I went and 4 weeks later I was saved.

Posts: 43 | From: PA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yahsway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You do know that Buddist also "speak in tongues"

I am a little concerned about your pastor putting the emphasis on speaking in tongues.

The scripture says that speaking in tongues is as "the Spirit gives the utterence."

If any preacher/man tells me to speak in tongues, thats not of Yahweh God.

Here is what the Apostle Paul in 1st Corinthians 14:2 says about it

"For he who speaks in a tongue does NOT speak TO MEN but to God, for NO ONE understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries.

verse 3 But he who prophesies (preach the gospel)speaks edification and exhortation and COMFORT to men.

verse 6

But now, brethern, if I come to you speaking with tongues, what shall i profit you UNLESS I speak to you either by Revelation, by knowledge, by Prophesying, or by TEACHING?

verse 11

Therefore, if i do not know the meaning of the language, I shall be a foreigner to him who speaks, and he who speaks will be a foreigner to me.

verse 19
yet in the assembly I would rather speak 5 words with my understanding, that I may TEACH OTHERS also, than 10,000 words in a tongue

Yeshua/Jesus did not tell us to go and pray and speak in tongues to the nations. He did say that this sign would follow those who believe.

But, He told us to "Go into all the world and PREACH the gospel to every creature."

Posts: 1238 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grams
Advanced Member
Member # 5169

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe what happened to me would be an example !
We were Catholic for 50 years.
Our older son fell in love with a girl who happened to be Baptist . He was the first in our
family to be saved !
And as a new believer he was going out and trying to save every one !

Only thing is the tracks he had were not good .
All though they were true, you do not tell a person what is wrong with there church / religion!

If the tracks were telling me what was in the bible to become saved it would have been more appropriate !

I told him to keep his track to himself.
Well of course that did not go well.

But not long after some thing happened to our other son, and he wanted to find a bible church to go to.
So we did, and my husband and I soon went with him for support !
Well we became saved. And I did the same as my other son, went and knocked the church, that I had been in trying to save family and friends.
My husband reminded me of this !

And I try not to do this any more, but here I am
typing about it !

What you need to do is bring out the verses that apply to the situation. And to remind the Pastor that we are not Jews today !
We are under Grace ... We do not follow Moses , or Peter, or
Adam !
We are in the time of Grace and follow what Paul says , whom Christ made our apostle in this day and time.
Hope this helps some.

--------------------
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
[ WARNING: EXPOSURE TO THE SON MAY PREVENT BURNING. ]

Posts: 57 | From: Michigan | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TB125
Advanced Member
Member # 2450

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB125   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This doesn't appear to be the kind of witness that a "guest" should make in another center of worship. It appears that this pastor is more interested in glorifying himself than in bringing glory to Jesus. There is a better way to witness to Buddhists than shouting at them in one of their temples. I suggest that you don't have anything to do with this trip. It doesn't appear to be for the glory of God.

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 449 | From: Rockford Illinois | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
afisherofman
Advanced Member
Member # 6899

Icon 1 posted      Profile for afisherofman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all and God bless,

The youth pastor of our church is coordinating a missionary trip to China next year. We had a Parent meeting with Pastor and was informed by him of all that God is leading him to do.

However, there is one thing he mentioned to us which I am a little troubled by.

He is planning to enter a Buddhist worship with the kids and proclaim Jesus and loudly pray and speak in tongues.

My question ... Is this supported by a biblical event and/or is it something Jesus would do?

I know how I would feel if i was in my church and a group of people came in in and start proclaiming their belief out loud during service.

I am open to all feedback so when I approach Pastor with this concern, I will have a little better understanding.

Thank you and God bless you for your feedback [Smile] [Cross] [Smile]

Posts: 43 | From: PA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement