Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » Messianic Jews

Author Topic: Messianic Jews
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, Aaron. You said:

“I have a question: Did the early Jewish converts to Christianity call themselves ‘Messianic Jews’”?

Eden here:

That’s a good question. They undoubtedly knew they were Jews from Judah/Benjamin and they undoubtedly knew that Jesus of Nazareth was the Messiah that they had been waiting for from Malachi 3:1:

Malachi 3:1
Behold, I will send My messenger and he shall prepare the way before Me: and the LORD, whom you seek, shall suddenly come to His temple, even the messenger of the covenant, in whom you delight; look, he shall come, says the LORD of hosts.

So the Jews of Judah/Benjamin did know they were Jews and that Jesus of Nazareth was the Messiah.

Modern Jews who come to know Jesus of Nazareth as the Messiah know they are Jews and know that Jesus of Nazareth was the Messiah, and many of these modern-day Jews believing in the Messiah call themselves Messianic Jews, but probably NOT ALL JEWS who now believe in Jesus as Messiah CALL THEMSELVES “Messianic Jews”; there are probably MANY JEWS who call themselves just “Christians”.

To repeat what Aaron said:

"I have a question: Did the early Jewish converts to Christianity call themselves ‘Messianic Jews’”?

Probably a number of them did, by my configuration anyway.

With love,
Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aaron
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see it very similarly, becauseHelives. Is it just me or are the Messianic Jews given a pass when it comes to criticism? As if examining and discussing their position is not "Christian".

Maybe that's why no others have replied to this thread. [Confused]

'Course, it could be because they've never considered the issue till now. [updown]

Aaron

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it’s just kind of another denomination.

Everybody wants to be part of some special group, somehow being a just a plain Believer in Yeshua is not enough.

1Cr 1:12-13
Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ. Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

Somehow man has to be the focal point.

You ask people about their faith, they immediately tell you…

I’m a Baptist…
I’m a Methodist,
I’m a Calvinist,
I’m A Messianic Jew,
I’m something else…

Well that’s my two cents….

Good question Aaron, I hope people think about it.

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aaron
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a question: Did the early Jewish converts to Christianity call themselves "Messianic Jews"?

To me such an expression seems contrary to the truths in the scriptures:

quote:
"For the Scripture says, 'Whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame.' For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for the same Lord over all is rich to all who call upon Him.
and

quote:
"For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. And if you are Christ's, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise."
and

quote:
Do not lie to one another, since you have put off the old man with his deeds, and have put on the new man who is renewed in knowledge according to the image of Him who created him, where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcised nor uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave nor free, but Christ is all and in all.
Is it thought that something is gained or preserved by retaining one's racial label after having been made "a new creation" in Christ? Or, should we regard those who use the title as "almost correct" in their theology and in need of further teaching?

Aaron

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement