Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » Agree with your adversary quickly

Author Topic: Agree with your adversary quickly
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
But becauseHElives, I am not THAT easy because I believe that the parable of the talents and the parable of the unprofitable servant DO teach that one can lose one's salvation if one does nothing for God in the end, if one did not go into the vineyard and help Our Father out a bit.
28 Take therefore the talent from him, and give it unto him which hath ten talents.
29 For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath.
30 And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

When is salvation fully received?

2Ti 4:8 Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

1Pe 5:4 And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away.

1Th 2:19 For what is our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? Are not even ye in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at his coming?

Ro 8:23 And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.

Eph 1:14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

If on the day the Lord comes to reckon - that is to reconcile accounts, we are found to be wicked and slouthful servants, you can be sure that we have been wicked and slothful servants all along... we have not lost our salvation... we never had it in the first place...

Mt 24:13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

The wicked servant was not without works. He did work... he buried his talent in the earth. Dead works... What he was without was faith... his own works. He knew that the LORD did reap where he did not sow and yet he placed his faith in the ground and not the word.

In the end the just show themselves to have been the just and the unjust show themselves to have been the unjust...

2Pe 2:9 The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished:

Re 22:11 He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.

The wicked servant was wicked the day he buried the talent; and he never repented; and it stayed buried, and he was found wicked on the day the Lord returned.

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
becauseHElives calls "easy believism" a false teaching.

It is easy to SAY that someone else's opinion is "false teaching", like, the bell cannot be unrung.

Matthew 9:5
For whether is easier, to say, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Arise, and walk?

But becauseHElives, I am not THAT easy because I believe that the parable of the talents and the parable of the unprofitable servant DO teach that one can lose one's salvation if one does nothing for God in the end, if one did not go into the vineyard and help Our Father out a bit.

But, what IS that work in the vineyard? Is is witnessing to what Christ has done for me to other and not be ashamed of the name of Christ?

Mark 8:38
Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

I think those are the MAIN works that God has in mind. As a faithful Son, God expects us to help out in the Family, especially with the help of the Holy Spirit.

So I do think that salvation IS received by "easy believism", but God does seem to require that we help out in the Family's vineyard of telling the good news of what Jesus did for us.

If the people who received salvation thru "easy believism" never do anything, they may be in for a "talent" and "unprofitable servant" surprise.

Be blessed.

Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please show me from scripture where my interpretation of that text is wrong in context with
that verse.

you are proponant of easy believism and the scriptures just will not bear that false teaching out.

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
becauseHElives said:

if you are going to be a student of scripture, make the scripture harmonize!!

Eden here:

You mean, make it harmonize like you make the scripture harmonize?

Be blessed.

Eden

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 15 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eden, you clearly are not reading scripture in context, but trying to take one verse to prove a point. (If you are going to be a student of scripture, make the scripture harmonize!)

This passage of scripture is clearly saying a casual looking into salvation is not sufficient for those that will make their final home with Yahweh through the Blood of Yeshua.

Take close notice of verse 21 of Matthew …(Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord…) (This is the same many spoken of in Luke 13:24 that casually seek to enter)

Matthew 7: 7-24

7. For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

8. Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone?

9. Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent?

10. If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?

11.Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

12. Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide [is] the gate, and broad [is] the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:

(In Luke 13:24-27, Jesus said, “Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able, when once the master of the house is risen up, and hath shut to the door, and ye begin to stand without, and to knock at the door, saying, Lord, Lord, open unto us; and He shall answer and say unto you, I know you not whence ye are: then shall ye begin to say, We have eaten and drunk in thy presence, and thou hast taught in our streets. But He shall say, I tell you, I know you not whence ye are; depart from Me all ye workers of iniquity.”)

13. Because strait [is] the gate, and narrow [is] the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

14. Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

15. Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

16. Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

17. A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither [can] a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

18. Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

19. Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

20. Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

21. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

22. And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

23. Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:

How can one be sure that he is in the narrow way that leads to life and not in the broad way that leads to destruction? The narrow way requires practicing the teachings of Jesus. He said that hearing and doing His sayings is like a wise man building on a rock (Matt. 7:24). He said, “IF you continue in My word, then are ye My disciples indeed” (John 8:31). He said, “IF a man love Me, He will keep My words” (John 14:23).

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

becauseHElives said, "There is a difference between the word strive and the word seek.

Seeking is not enough to find entrance to eternal life…

Eden here:

You say, "Seeking is not enough to find entrance to eternal life."

Really? That surprises me:

Matthew 7:7
Ask, and it shall be given you; seek and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.

Seek and, find what? Eternal life of course.

Be blessed.

Eden

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 15 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a difference between the word strive and the word seek….

Seeking is not enough to find entrance to eternal life……

"Strain every nerve to force your way in through the narrow gate," He answered; "for multitudes, I tell you, will endeavour to find a way in and will not succeed.

In Thess. 2:10, the apostle Paul writes of a certain people “that perish, because they receive not the love of the truth that they might be saved.” It is certainly true that failing to have a love of truth has always existed among men from the time of Cain (Gen. 4) to this present day. However, in this last century, the enemy, through ungodly men, has raised a great cloud of deceitful teachings that have undermined the very foundation of the Christian faith. Today, men think that one may choose what he wants to believe; he may choose how he wants to live; he may choose how he serves God. Such people are deceived. Jesus taught there are only two ways from which man may choose. One way leads to life, and it is called the narrow way. The other way leads to death, and it is called the broad way. There is no bypass, and there are no detours. Everyone on earth is traveling in one way or the other. Today, few men hear about the strait way. Whatever happened to the teaching of the strait gate and the narrow way?

Several decades ago, it was easy to find a minister that talked about the strait gate and the narrow way. Sin was sin, and sinners were on their way to the lake of fire. To them, repentance meant to stop doing things considered evil, such as going to the movies, dancing and (ugh!) smoking. Women wore skirts below their knees, and most did not smoke or curse.

Then the pressures of the “great depression” changed everything. The entertainment world of Hollywood expanded to radio shows, and the “Big Band Era” flourished. Evangelistic parties with their entertainers and spell-binding preachers with their circus-sized tents, ladled out their sop to the troubled masses. Then came World War II and television. Everything changed again. Moral standards plummeted. The “strait gate and narrow way” message was modified to “receive Jesus and join the church of your choice.” More and more the practices of the broad way travelers became permissible for those wanting life. “Religion” became acceptable. Holiness faded from view. The National Council of Churches was formed. Now brotherly love and fellowship would replace doctrinal teaching. After all, weren’t we all headed for the same place? Well, not exactly.

There was still “the strait gate and narrow way.” It had not changed. All of the religious trappings and ritualism attached to the “wide gate and broad way” still did not lead to life. They were just more sop to ease a man’s conscience.

The “strait gate and narrow way” was not instituted by any religious organization. It was a teaching of the Lord Jesus Christ, and it carried a warning. “Enter ye in at the strait gate, for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leaded to destruction, and many there be which go in there” (Matt. 7:13), strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, that leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it” (v. 14). This is plain speech. This is Jesus speaking; Jesus the creator; Jesus the King; Jesus, who is coming soon to reward every man according to his works (Matt. 16:27). Men choose the wide gate and broad way because the narrow way that leads to life is too confining; it requires too much.

There are many wide gates scattered up and down the highways, and every village has several gates from which men may choose. Some are very hush-hush where all is quiet and formal. The gamut runs to the opposite, with its heavy metal noise makers and its flirting, joke-telling actors, called pastors. If one searches a little, he can find a gate that does not challenge his lusts and does not disturb his way of life. All of the broad ways permit viewing the TV or internet where anyone can find X-rated movies with its nudity, sex and filth along with the violence and glamour. There are plenty of signs and voices along the broad way that assure the traveler that heaven is at the end of the road. He is not told that between the end of the road and heaven is a deep abyss with fire and brimstone.

In Luke 13:24-27, Jesus said, “Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able, when once the master of the house is risen up, and hath shut to the door, and ye begin to stand without, and to knock at the door, saying, Lord, Lord, open unto us; and He shall answer and say unto you, I know you not whence ye are: then shall ye begin to say, We have eaten and drunk in thy presence, and thou hast taught in our streets. But He shall say, I tell you, I know you not whence ye are; depart from Me all ye workers of iniquity.”

Herein is a solemn warning by the Lord Jesus. “STRIVE (put forth the utmost effort) to enter in at the strait gate.” Why did He order us to strive? Because by nature we do not want God or holy living. He said strive because effort is involved. We must “set our affections on things above and not on things on the earth” (Col. 3:2). “And he said to them ALL, if any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me” (Luke 9:23).

The strait gate and narrow way has nothing to do with joining a church, but it does demand true repentance. It demands dedicating oneself to walk in the teachings of Jesus. Therefore, the narrow way is not crowded; there are few passers seeking the heavenly city.

Beware of the hucksters who hand out free passes to “life.” They attach no cost to the broad way. They teach salvation is free; just believe and be saved. Believing for salvation involves much more than mental acceptance. Faith without works is dead. Those in the narrow way are producing evidence that they love Jesus (John 14:21) and are in THE WAY that leads to life (Rev. 22:14). They are lovers of truth. They shun the pleasures of unrighteousness (II Thess. 2:12).

Take note in Luke 13 that the “many” that are outside the door are not considered “ungodly,” but they are religious. They say, “We have eaten and drunk in Thy presence.” Are they saying that they took part in the communion service? At the least, they are claiming fellowship with the Lord. They also say, “Thou hast taught in our streets.” That word “streets” means broad ways. They confessed that they were in the broad way, but even there the Lord gave them the call to turn to Him; to seek His ways. God is always faithful.

How can one be sure that he is in the narrow way that leads to life and not in the broad way that leads to destruction? The narrow way requires practicing the teachings of Jesus. He said that hearing and doing His sayings is like a wise man building on a rock (Matt. 7:24). He said, “IF you continue in My word, then are ye My disciples indeed” (John 8:31). He said, “IF a man love Me, He will keep My words” (John 14:23).

“Not everyone that saith unto Me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven, but he that DOETH the will of My Father which is in heaven” (Matt. 7:2 1).

--------------------

Eden
unregistered

Hi, becauseHElives, this what you said below I agree with. You said:

judgement-seat; after death, it will be too late.

When we consider the importance of the case, and the uncertainty of life, how needful it is to seek peace with God, without delay!

Eden here:

dear becauseHelives, there is no doubt in my mind that many people are in peril tonight.

Seek God without delay, before the door is closed; that is my message too. But oh how hard it is to do?

Overcoming personal ego pride is not an easy thing to do.

Be blessed.

Eden

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In responce to NLP question in another post

Matthew 5:21-26)

The Jewish teachers had taught, that nothing except actual murder was forbidden by the sixth commandment. Thus they explained away its spiritual meaning.

Christ showed the full meaning of this commandment; according to which we must be judged hereafter, and therefore ought to be ruled now. All rash anger is heart murder. By our brother, here, we are to understand any person, though ever so much below us, for we are all made of one blood. "Raca," is a scornful word, and comes from pride: "Thou fool," is a spiteful word, and comes from hatred. Malicious slanders and censures are poison that kills secretly and slowly.

Christ told them that how light soever they made of these sins, they would certainly be called into judgment for them. We ought carefully to preserve Christian love and peace with all our brethren; and if at any time there is a quarrel, we should confess our fault, humble ourselves to our brother, making or offering satisfaction for wrong done in word or deed: and we should do this quickly; because, till this is done, we are unfit for communion with God in holy ordinances. And when we are preparing for any religious exercises, it is good for us to make that an occasion of serious reflection and self-examination.

What is here said is very applicable to our being reconciled to God through Christ. While we are alive, we are in the way to his judgement-seat; after death, it will be too late.

When we consider the importance of the case, and the uncertainty of life, how needful it is to seek peace with God, without delay!

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement