Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » belief in Jesus enough?

Author Topic: belief in Jesus enough?
yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yahsway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Belief in Yeshua enough?

James 2

Ani Ma Amin! I believe!

Posts: 1238 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ahar
Advanced Member
Member # 5810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ahar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nan29:
Hi Andy,

I agree with you (you're not alone). Many people read the bible and interpret it differently. I think God speaks to each of us personally (individually) which is why we get a different message. Sometimes I may read a passage, gain an understnding of it but then read some of the comments here and they are totally different then how I understood it. I don't think either of us are wrong. I think God gave us a different message. I agree that the Bible is inspired by God, not dictated. That's why it's important to read the Bible and spend some time reflecting on what God is telling you, it's not the same for everyone. I also agree that miracles aren't just miracles because they cannot be explained by science. I've read that when Christ died the sky blackened. Many people say there was a solar eclipse at that time. But I would ask who made the eclipse? God of course. Just because science can explain somethings doesn't take away the fact that God was the one who initiated it.

Nan

Thanks Nan

--------------------
Cheers

Andy

Posts: 290 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nan29
Advanced Member
Member # 5761

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nan29     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Andy,

I agree with you (you're not alone). Many people read the bible and interpret it differently. I think God speaks to each of us personally (individually) which is why we get a different message. Sometimes I may read a passage, gain an understnding of it but then read some of the comments here and they are totally different then how I understood it. I don't think either of us are wrong. I think God gave us a different message. I agree that the Bible is inspired by God, not dictated. That's why it's important to read the Bible and spend some time reflecting on what God is telling you, it's not the same for everyone. I also agree that miracles aren't just miracles because they cannot be explained by science. I've read that when Christ died the sky blackened. Many people say there was a solar eclipse at that time. But I would ask who made the eclipse? God of course. Just because science can explain somethings doesn't take away the fact that God was the one who initiated it.

Nan

Posts: 38 | From: New York | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ahar
Advanced Member
Member # 5810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ahar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

or read it but don't take it literally,
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's not go there - if you want to start a debate on this wonderful gem (which will inevitably start slowly and radipid descend in to a debate about creationism), let's start another thread. From what I've read I'm heavily outnumbered on this forum regarding this topic

Let's go there [cool_shades]

I'm pretty new to this so I don't know what the general consensus is or what your position is.

I may regret this, but oh well:

From what I've read, the majority on the boards would describe themselves as what I would term 'literalist', that is someone who believes that every word in the bible, new and old testament, is literaly true. So, they believe that the earth was created in seven 24 hour periods, that the flood and noah's ark happened exactly as said in the bible and that we really shouldn't wear a garment weaved of two cloths [Smile]

Needless to say I'm not in this camp - I believe that the bible is the inspired word of god, and the new testament is literally true as it is a testament to Jesus's time on earth and God's new covenant with us. However, I believe that the Old Testament, while being the inspired word of God, contains history (Judges for example), rules for the old covenant (Leviticus for example), parabals to teach us lessons (the creation story in Genesis for example), example prayers and songs (e.g. Psalms) and notes on how we should live our lives (e.g. proverbs and Song of Solomon).

I also believe that there is no conflict at being able to provide a rational explanation for supernatural events in the bible with those events being God inspired. We do not have to provide a rational explanation for everything, but if it is there it does not take anything away from the miracle.

For example, studies have shown that there were potentially several comets passing by at the time of the birth of Jesus that could (or could not) explain the star of bethlehem. However, is it a coincidence that Jesus would have been born at exactly the right time in the right place for the comet in the sky to lead the shepherds and the three wise men to him? I think not.

A miracle does not always require God to undertake supernatural events. Sometimes all it needs is a 'push' to make sure that all the required events line up. The miracle is not that the individual events happen, it is that they are all there in the right place at the right time to ensure the desired effect. Whether or not you believe it is a miracle or an act of random chance is an act of faith and belief, but then that's what christianity is all about.

--------------------
Cheers

Andy

Posts: 290 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nan29
Advanced Member
Member # 5761

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nan29     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
HOWEVER, there are plenty of messages in the bible that tell you once you have truly repented that you should follow God's teachings, keep his rules, provide a great example to those around you and try and spread the word. Being baptised, reading the bible, going to church etc are great ways of doing this and you should think long and hard whether you are doing all that God wants you to do without taking any action to try and keep you on the right path.

By the way, I do agree with you on this! I think if you truly believe then you will want to follow His word, not so much because you feel you have to but because you want to.
Posts: 38 | From: New York | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nan29
Advanced Member
Member # 5761

quote:
quote:

Let's not go there - if you want to start a debate on this wonderful gem (which will inevitably start slowly and radipid descend in to a debate about creationism), let's start another thread. From what I've read I'm heavily outnumbered on this forum regarding this topic

Let's go there [cool_shades]

I'm pretty new to this so I don't know what the general consensus is or what your position is.

ahar
Advanced Member
Member # 5810

quote:
Okay, but how about those people who call themselves Christians but aren't devout followers of Christ.

I always thought that to be saved, you have to believe that Jesus was the son of God and died for our sins and truly repent, - only God will know whether, in your heart, you have done this. Baptism, going to church etc is not a pre-condition to this.

HOWEVER, there are plenty of messages in the bible that tell you once you have truly repented that you should follow God's teachings, keep his rules, provide a great example to those around you and try and spread the word. Being baptised, reading the bible, going to church etc are great ways of doing this and you should think long and hard whether you are doing all that God wants you to do without taking any action to try and keep you on the right path.

quote:

Let's not go there - if you want to start a debate on this wonderful gem (which will inevitably start slowly and radipid descend in to a debate about creationism), let's start another thread. From what I've read I'm heavily outnumbered on this forum regarding this topic [Smile]

--------------------
Cheers

Andy

nan29
Advanced Member
Member # 5761

Thanks David! I went into www.gotquestions.org and got my answer! [hyper]
Eduardo Grequi
Advanced Member
Member # 3984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eduardo Grequi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Belgica, Your right about that! That is why I said superficial! Their could be no lasting peace in the middle east until Jesus' Return!
Posts: 771 | From: Belvidere, IL | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
giel
Member # 5846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for giel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eduardo Grequi:
I trully believe if 2 or more are gather in collection, Jesus, The Holy Spirit is there. Can one not go to church, be truly saved!

Of Course!!

Salvation is based upon Jesus the Christ and not any tradition of man.

Some people belief, you need not to be baptizee. I do not agree with that. Jesus in his own words said, "He that believes and is baptized is saved, he that believes not is already condemn.

All Coverts of the bible were immediately baptized, except the theif to the right of Jesus at Mt Golgatha. However, Jesus lead the example.

Trully take time and write out the words of Jesus and see how much they different from the Mosiac Laws.

The law came to convict of sin- which it has done rightly so, but Jesus came to bring light thru the law. If your salvation is true, it stands to reason that you will desire to be like him, even unto death.

The Christians in the 10/40 window die for their faith. We as believers of Christ here in Westren Civilization are becoming a minority.

There is a nominal Christian (traditionalized Christan) and a Christian who is motivated by shear faith to be like Jesus and non-selfish, unbiased.

Truly as people from all walks of life have an inante desire to know God and to become Him or earn his beneviolence.

The Islam, The Jew, The Christan, are all followers of a montheist God. For awhile Coptic Christians,Menonites Christians, Jews and Muslims all lived in harmony superficially speaking until one day, the crusades occured.

The first term ever used for a believer of Jesus, was Cultic Jew. The first extra-judiac word for a follower of Jesus was Christian in Antioch of Syria.

Remember many nomadic people did not recognized borders as we do today.

Can you believe in Jesus and not go to church!
Of Course

I perfer fellowship in a house or even at Dukin Donuts over a heavy habit.

i must correct you on what you say about that "Christians,Menonites Christians, Jews and Muslims all lived in harmony superficially speaking until one day, the crusades occured" because there were arabian invasions before the crusades. The were stopped by the Karolingische(dont know the term in english) servant of the king and then founded his kinghood the karolingers
Posts: 5 | From: belgica | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nan29
Advanced Member
Member # 5761

Okay, but how about those people who call themselves Christians but aren't devout followers of Christ. They believe in Jesus and unlike Satan, they love Him. They may not read the Bible or read it but don't take it literally, but if a gun were put to their head, they wouldn't deny Jesus. But is that enough? Do you have to be a devout follower to be saved or can you merely believe that Jesus is the Son of God?
Eduardo Grequi
Advanced Member
Member # 3984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eduardo Grequi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I trully believe if 2 or more are gather in collection, Jesus, The Holy Spirit is there. Can one not go to church, be truly saved!

Of Course!!

Salvation is based upon Jesus the Christ and not any tradition of man.

Some people belief, you need not to be baptizee. I do not agree with that. Jesus in his own words said, "He that believes and is baptized is saved, he that believes not is already condemn.

All Coverts of the bible were immediately baptized, except the theif to the right of Jesus at Mt Golgatha. However, Jesus lead the example.

Trully take time and write out the words of Jesus and see how much they different from the Mosiac Laws.

The law came to convict of sin- which it has done rightly so, but Jesus came to bring light thru the law. If your salvation is true, it stands to reason that you will desire to be like him, even unto death.

The Christians in the 10/40 window die for their faith. We as believers of Christ here in Westren Civilization are becoming a minority.

There is a nominal Christian (traditionalized Christan) and a Christian who is motivated by shear faith to be like Jesus and non-selfish, unbiased.

Truly as people from all walks of life have an inante desire to know God and to become Him or earn his beneviolence.

The Islam, The Jew, The Christan, are all followers of a montheist God. For awhile Coptic Christians,Menonites Christians, Jews and Muslims all lived in harmony superficially speaking until one day, the crusades occured.

The first term ever used for a believer of Jesus, was Cultic Jew. The first extra-judiac word for a follower of Jesus was Christian in Antioch of Syria.

Remember many nomadic people did not recognized borders as we do today.

Can you believe in Jesus and not go to church!
Of Course

I perfer fellowship in a house or even at Dukin Donuts over a heavy habit.

Posts: 771 | From: Belvidere, IL | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ahar
Advanced Member
Member # 5810

quote:
Originally posted by giel:
can one be more like jesus if one follows the rules of the curch. I wonder because jesus was a jew and he followed their rules.

In fact, he spoke against quite a lot of Jewish traditions especially those regarding 'unclean' things and people and notably working on the sabbath.

Simply following the rules of a church isn't going to work - the famous line (certainly in the UK) is "You can go and live in France and speak French, but that doesn't make you a frenchman"

--------------------
Cheers

Andy

giel
Member # 5846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for giel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
can one be more like jesus if one follows the rules of the curch. I wonder because jesus was a jew and he followed their rules.
Posts: 5 | From: belgica | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Satan believes in Jesus and is not saved.

If this person has not changed and continue to change and be more like Jesus, then no they have never met Him.

Click here to listen to True and False Conversion

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nan29
Advanced Member
Member # 5761

I have a friend who believes in Jesus but doesn't necessarily follow scripture or even goes to church. Is he saved? Is he going to Heaven?

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement