Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » Why aren't Christians doing greater works than Jesus did?

Author Topic: Why aren't Christians doing greater works than Jesus did?
Thunderz7
Advanced Member
Member # 31

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Thunderz7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HFHS said
quote:
Every act that Jesus did was an act of the will of the Father. But Jesus was GOD manifest in the flesh. I am not God manifest in the flesh and yet GOD does manifest himself in my flesh and that is a greater work than the works that Jesus did because it is a work that is occuring in a vessel that is still bound for destruction... it is done in this earthen vessel that still has sin!!!

I like this thought Linda,
I will pray that I remember it when Manifested Sons of God come up.

For a greater work than Jesus did,
we can "preach" HIM - crucified, dead and raised ro the right hand of the Father, with HIS Blood applied to the Mercy Seat for our sins.

Why we are not doing the works HE did is that flesh in the way.
I personally think there will be a body of believers doing the works HE did before/when HE returns in the flesh.

T7

Posts: 1113 | From: Northeast Alabama | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A new member Glen asked several questions in another thread titled "Questions". I thought they were awesome questions and I found myself unable to resist wanting to answer them. I am posting this one seperate and maybe more if the time allows.

quote:
Why aren't Christians doing greater works than Jesus did, (raising the dead, moving mountains, etc.) since he himself said they would (John 14:12)?
The first thing that we have to do to answer this question is look at the context:

The disciples have just asked Jesus to show them the Father... Jesus replies:

John 14:10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.
11 Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works’ sake.

12 ¶ Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

When we ask the question why is the church not raising the dead, turning water into wine, etc.. we miss the point of what Jesus was teaching the disciples.

Jesus explains that there is nothing that he has done that was of HIS OWN DOING... the works that HE did while he walked about the earth were the works of the Father that were being worked through HIM.

Jesus said he could nothing apart from the Father.He did only what the Father taught HIM to do. The sign wonders that Jesus did should have been believed even by those who would not believe JESUS because those very works were works of GOD.

Now, Jesus is telling the disciples that power is coming to them when he leaves... the Holy Spirit is coming to indwell them as it indwelled him.

There is another scripture in Hebrews that says this:

Hebrews 4:10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

When we become born again children of the living God and the Holy Spirit comes to indwell us, we, if we are walking in the spirit, are led by the Spirit of God and the works that we do are the works of HIS spirit in us.

This is the way that it was with Jesus... but in us that is an even greater work because unlike Jesus we still have sin in the flesh.

It is a miracle of miracles, when I in this body of sin and death walk in the spirit and love the unloveable, forgive the unforgiveable, pray for those who hate me and persecute me, love my brother more than I love the praise of men, love the word more than I love the desires of the flesh, keep my body and my mind under subjection to Christ, pray for my enemy asking the Lord to forgive him, surrender my will unto the father's will, love the father more than the things of this world...etc etc etc.

These things cannot be done by a mere mortal human being. They are things that can only be done because they are the work of the Holy Spirit in man.

Every act that Jesus did was an act of the will of the Father. But Jesus was GOD manifest in the flesh. I am not God manifest in the flesh and yet GOD does manifest himself in my flesh and that is a greater work than the works that Jesus did because it is a work that is occuring in a vessel that is still bound for destruction... it is done in this earthen vessel that still has sin!!!

Are there some places that the sick are being healed the dead being raised. I believe that there are. But it is not that a spirit can return to a body for a time and then that body still dies that is so great a work... The great work is the work that the Holy spirit is doing in every single believer that is born of HIS spirit and that is the work of conforming us into the image of Christ that we walk in the SPIRIT having ceased from our own works.

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement