Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » Do I remain friends with other Christians who believe in the "name-it-claim-it" gospe

Author Topic: Do I remain friends with other Christians who believe in the "name-it-claim-it" gospe
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that the answer to your question should come from scripture and will depend on how you see these folks and the doctrines they hold.

These scriptures should be views in context prayerfully to see if any apply to your situation, they speak of things to avoid:

Romans 16:17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.

2 Thessalonians 3:14 And if any man obey not our word by this epistle, note that man, and have no company with him, that he may be ashamed.

2 Timothy 3:5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

Ephesians 5:11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.

This one is particularly interesting because Paul is talking about noting those withwhom we should have fellowship... later he calls some of those he feels this way about "Yokefellows". Paul says be followers TOGETHER of me and mark those who walk in the example I have given you for some dont.

Philippians 3:17 ¶ Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample.
18 (For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ:
19 Whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things.)

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhiteEagle
Advanced Member
Member # 3728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhiteEagle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by truthwillsetufree:
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I guess that normally it would not make a difference, but we have a mutual friend that is riddled with cancer and they are going around saying he is healed (when he obviously isn't) My friend told me that I did not have enough faith and called me a doubting Thomas (which neither are true). I know that they listen and read Kenneth Copleand things and I just think that instead of believing in the God and Jesus of the Bible, they put their hope and trust in people like Kenneth Copeland. I feel that maybe I should distance myself from that sort of belief/teaching. To me, it is blasphemy.
God Bless!

It depends if you can keep respectful.

The Bible does teach that people can be healed through Christ and by the laying on of hands of Church elders. That fact has nothing to do with Kenneth Copeland.

They also shouldn't berate you, and put you on a "guilt trip" if you do not share their faith in this particular situation.

Posts: 1392 | From: Maine | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
truthwillsetufree
Member # 5708

Icon 1 posted      Profile for truthwillsetufree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I guess that normally it would not make a difference, but we have a mutual friend that is riddled with cancer and they are going around saying he is healed (when he obviously isn't) My friend told me that I did not have enough faith and called me a doubting Thomas (which neither are true). I know that they listen and read Kenneth Copleand things and I just think that instead of believing in the God and Jesus of the Bible, they put their hope and trust in people like Kenneth Copeland. I feel that maybe I should distance myself from that sort of belief/teaching. To me, it is blasphemy.
God Bless!

Posts: 5 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaplain Bob
Advanced Member
Member # 5019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaplain Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It has nothing to do with salvation so why would you seperate yourself from them? I don't buy the "name it and claim it" teaching either. But that wouldn't stop me from being friends with someone who did.

--------------------
In His Service,
Bob Allen

Posts: 209 | From: Checotah, Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
truthwillsetufree
Member # 5708

Icon 20 posted      Profile for truthwillsetufree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, this is my first post, I need to know if the doctrine of name-it-and-claim-it that is so prevalent today is so cultish that I should remove myself from friends that believe it so totally. I feel that my spirit is so grieved by this and I'm not sure what to do?
Posts: 5 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement