Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » Confused And Overwhelmed

Author Topic: Confused And Overwhelmed
Chaplain Bob
Advanced Member
Member # 5019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaplain Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Missie:
As I sit here praying and wanting to get right w/ the Lord ... i am extremely overwhelmed. I have been reading posts and i'm not going to knock any of you .. you all sound like intelligent people .. but dropping verses left and right and talking like "proper pastors" .. i am totally lost on what your beliefs or conversations are even about. I'm not uneducated but isnt there a easier way to explain things to someone just learning ? I dunno .. maybe its just me [Frown]

Hello Missie and welcome!

You will find that on these, and many other Christian message boards, there are individuals who not only post many Scripture verses but may often use Greek or Hebrew in their effort to make a point. I have come to the conclusion their purpose is to impress us with their "superior" knowledge of the Bible and the languages in which it was written. But I tend to discount their posts for that very reason.

Yes, it is possible to discuss and debate just about everything without speaking "Bibleeze". I generally post that way. If someone wants to know a particular verse I will post it for them.

As you have already been told feel free to ask about anything you don't understand. As has been said "There are no stupid questions - only stupid answers".

--------------------
In His Service,
Bob Allen

Posts: 209 | From: Checotah, Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
epouraniois
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to address what I feel ia a major issue. When we read the OT, we are keenly aware that these things happened in a specific order of events, a timieframe. But when we get into the NT, all our knowledge of time seems to be muddled, causing things to be, well, mixed up, take, for example, the two little words, 'but now' as the Lord has used them:

The Lord is sending out the 12 in their first missionary journey:

Mat 10:5 These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:
Mat 10:6 But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
Mat 10:7 And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand.
Mat 10:8 Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give.
Mat 10:9 Provide neither gold, nor silver, nor brass in your purses,
Mat 10:10 Nor scrip for your journey, neither two coats, neither shoes, nor yet staves: for the workman is worthy of his meat.

and things changed, as we can see by the two words, 'but now':

Luk 22:35 And he said unto them, When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye any thing? And they said, Nothing.
Luk 22:36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

what if the dicsiples just ignored the 'but now' part, and continued to do that which was first instructed them? how many today, do not seem to grasp the difference that had taken place and commission themselves to go out as did the disciples at the beginning, also ignoring He said 'go not into the way of the gentiles'???

Well, there is an order of events, and today, at least it seems to me, the major teachings of the churches today fail to acknowledge the 'but now' statements that are provided for our learning, for our growning out of and into those things which have replaced previous instructions, namely what had transpired in v 28 of Acts 28, which is followed by the introduction of the church which is His body, given to the apostle by revelation to complete the word of God, for in Colossians 1:25 that God chose him to be the vessel by which He would fulfill (Greek pleroo, "complete") the Word of God.

I do believe it behooves us to learn what the original words meant, for they were not written in English, take for example this one small word 'with'.

You would think that a small word like that, we might know what it means, the word 'with', but do we really know what the Bible is communicating to us without looking it up? Look and see:

Col 3:3 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.
Col 3:4 When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.

in the above examples the word 'with' is the Greek word "son" pronounced soon, and means that it completes Christ:
G4862
σύν
sun
soon
A primary preposition denoting union; with or together (but much closer than G3326 or G3844), that is, by association, companionship, process, resemblance, possession, instrumentality, addition, etc.: - beside, with. In compounds it has similar applications, including completeness.

this word is not generally used in connection of the earthly family of God, for when the Bible speaks of Christ returning to the earth for His earthly peoples, the word used is 'meta', meaning 'near':

Mar 3:14 And he ordained twelve, that they should be with him, and that he might send them forth to preach,

G3326
μετά
meta
met-ah'
A primary preposition (often used adverbially); properly denoting accompaniment; “amid” (local or causal); modified variously according to the case (genitive case association, or accusative case succession) with which it is joined; occupying an intermediate position between G575 or G1537 and G1519 or G4314; less intimate than G1722, and less close than G4862): - after (-ward),X that he again, against, among, X and, + follow, hence, hereafter, in, of, (up-) on, + our, X and setting, since, (un-) to, + together, when, with (+ -out). Often used in composition, in substantially the same relations of participation or proximity, and transfer or sequence.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beckie529
Community Member
Member # 5641

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beckie529     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Pastor Bob. I'll continue to read posts and reply as the Lord leads me. Peace.

--------------------
Not that we are competent in ourselves to claim anything for ourselves, but our competence comes from God. 2Cor 3:5

Posts: 8 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaplain Bob
Advanced Member
Member # 5019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaplain Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beckie529:
I am also new to this board and have felt some of the confusion that I think Missie is expressing. I have read so many recent threads where it seems a few people just want to "get one up" on eachother with scripture. I have never taken high level theology courses, but I don't think you need to take them to be able to seek the Lord and hear his voice. I am scared and saddened as I read these threads. Those who are saved and living for the Lord are brothers and sisters in Christ. If someone does not understand a scripture, we should point him toward the Lord for understanding. Vain arguements about who really knows how much it hurts to have a baby only serve to bring division, discord, and rebellion.

Beckie:

You are absolutely correct. Many seem to use these boards to try to impress other with their Biblical knowledge or spiritual wisdom. Some even like to use Latin or Greek in their posts like that is supposed to impress us. Few of us have ever studied those languages and really have no need to. There are those too who use what I call theologeeze in posting to apparently try to impress us when they could speak in simple English and get the job done more effectively.

Those of us who choose to post and counsel on these threads have a responsibility to help people in a way they will understand.

--------------------
In His Service,
Bob Allen

Posts: 209 | From: Checotah, Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Missie,

Below is a very good place to start. It will help get you grounded.

Save Yourself Some Pain
http://www.livingwaters.com/articles_growth.shtml

Good links for new and growing Christians
http://fishthe.net/witness/confirmation.htm

God bless,
David

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Missie,

Below is a very good place to start. It will help get you grounded.

Save Yourself Some Pain
http://www.livingwaters.com/articles_growth.shtml

Good links for new and growing Christians
http://fishthe.net/witness/confirmation.htm

God bless,
David

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Missie
Member # 5670

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Missie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for responding ... i do truly appreciate it .. i have been saved .. in confessing Jesus Christ as my Saviour and have been baptized .. i have so many questions i dont know where to start!! I guess that is why i am so overwhelmed [Frown] .. I have been praying for direction and trying but I just don't feel God in my heart .. And that hurts and scares me [Frown] I dont understand
Posts: 3 | From: Michigan | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

quote:
Originally posted by Missie:
I'm not uneducated but isnt there a easier way to explain things to someone just learning ? I dunno .. maybe its just me [Frown]

Yes for those that are just learning. I also suggest you ask questions on what you don't understand.

Also, the most important thing you can do is get your bible and read it over and over again and know what it says. Ask the Holy Spirit to teach you. Unless you know what God's love letter to use says, you will not know if I am or anyone else is telling you the truth.

:::::::::::::::::

If scholars disagree about how to interpret the Bible, how can we hope to make sense of the Scriptures? While such a question can seem overwhelming, it doesn't need to be. What can be understood by the average layman is far more important than what scholars disagree about.

Most important, the Author of the Bible has not left the reader alone. Paul signaled God's commitment to help us when he wrote, "Reflect on what I am saying, for the Lord will give you insight into all this" (2 Tim. 2:7 NIV).

An American President once said he would rather live in Russia than in America. What President would make such a remark? It was said by the Great Emancipator, Abraham Lincoln.

But he's being quoted out of context. He actually said, "I shall prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretense of loving liberty--to Russia, for instance." Lincoln wrote these words while expressing regret about a dangerous trend he saw in America. He feared that many wanted to change "all men are created equal" to "all men are created equal, except non-whites." If that were to happen, Lincoln suggested, he would be more comfortable in a land where the government didn't pretend to stand for liberty. The context makes all the difference, for it tells us exactly what Abe meant to say.

But did you know that though Lincoln hated slavery, the Bible condones it? The Bible tells slaves to obey their masters (Eph. 6:5). It even appears to encourage us to view Africans differently than we view other people when it says, "Can the Ethiopian change his skin, or the leopard its spots?" (Jer. 13:23). Why would the Ethiopian want to change his skin unless it were a less than desirable condition, and why would the author link Ethiopians to leopards unless he wanted his readers to think of black people in less than human terms?

Again, these words have been twisted out of their original setting and intent. Quoted in context, Jeremiah was not putting dark skin in an unfavorable light, any more than he was being critical of the beauty and distinctive design of a leopard's coat. Jeremiah's message is that if the leopard could change his own spots, and if an Ethiopian could change the color of his skin, then "may you also do good who are accustomed to do evil" (Jer. 13:23). The immediate context shows that Jeremiah was saying we cannot change our own hearts any more than we can change the color of our skin. Any changes we make are merely cosmetic. The context shows exactly what Jeremiah meant to say.

But did Paul encourage slaves to obey their masters? Yes, and his comments must once again be understood in light of the times and spirit in which the apostle wrote. Slavery in Roman days was often the result of war or unpaid debts. Paul taught Christians to be free if they could (1 Cor. 7:21). If that was not possible, he encouraged them to show by their behavior that their well-being was not in the hands of human masters but in the hands of God, even in bad circumstances (1 Cor. 7:20-24). When two Christians found themselves in a master-slave relationship, Paul appealed to them to treat each other as equals and as brothers who were both accountable to God for the way they treated each other (Eph. 6:5-9; Phile. 15-16).

Context. If the immediate and wider contexts are not considered, a person can make the Bible say anything he wants it to say.

One basic rule of Bible study underlies all others. It is the law of context. In what setting and with what intent were the words written? Equipped with this one basic principle, a student can begin immediately to spend a lifetime looking for and discovering the treasures of the Bible.

Read more on how to understand the Bible by clicking the below link:
http://www.rbc.org/ds/q0401/

We must read the bible knowing that it is about Jesus Christ and it always points to Him and not us. If you are born-again the Holy Spirit will show you this.

And again, ask questions. We will be glad to answer them.

Plow on, plow on...

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Beckie529
Community Member
Member # 5641

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beckie529     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am also new to this board and have felt some of the confusion that I think Missie is expressing. I have read so many recent threads where it seems a few people just want to "get one up" on eachother with scripture. I have never taken high level theology courses, but I don't think you need to take them to be able to seek the Lord and hear his voice. I am scared and saddened as I read these threads. Those who are saved and living for the Lord are brothers and sisters in Christ. If someone does not understand a scripture, we should point him toward the Lord for understanding. Vain arguements about who really knows how much it hurts to have a baby only serve to bring division, discord, and rebellion.

Missie, all of us, even the most holy acting, sometimes fear that we are not "right with the Lord". That is your perception because of what you see in yourself, but it is not the truth. It is a grace to be able to admit your fears. Admitting your fears and weaknesses is the first step of faith, because if don't have any needs you don't need a savior. If you have taken that first step of declaring Jesus Christ as Lord then rest assured that you are right with God. Jesus Christ's sacrifice on the cross is all you will ever need to bring you into right relationship with God. Period. Holy acts don't ever impress God, and really only serve to pull your own focus off God and onto your own behavior. Check out Romans 3:21-31, especially verse 23.
Those of us whom God has chosen to adopt into his family are always right with God. Sure, our actions may be pretty bone-headed and dumb sometimes. Even downright sinful. Don't get focused on yourself and your actions. Jesus defeated all of that. But you have to see that he saved us when we were at our most ugly (Romans 5:6-7). Jesus redeems us, but we are still that ugly little clay vessel that doesn't look good for much IN OUR OWN EYES. God sees the ending of us, and has made a plan for us in which he has made us perfect (see Hebrews 10:14 and Phillipians 1:6). God does the transformation work. Our work is simply to believe He can and He will.

--------------------
Not that we are competent in ourselves to claim anything for ourselves, but our competence comes from God. 2Cor 3:5

Posts: 8 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dondi
Advanced Member
Member # 4966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dondi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes there is an easier way
A: admit you believe Jesus is God's Son
B: Believe He died and rose again on the third day according to the scriptures.
C: Confess your sins.
See? It's as easy as ABC. Plus the only way to "get right with God" is to allow His will to be done in your life. Kinda hard to do that with us being thick headed humans and all, but good luck to you and we'll keep you in prayer.

--------------------
Behold, I stand at the door and knock: if any man hear My voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and sup with him, and him with Me. Rev. 3:20

Posts: 33 | From: Ceres,Ca | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Missie: Welcome to the board. Is there something specific you would like ot talk about? I am sure that if you have questions or something troubling you there is someone here who would be glad to help.
Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Missie
Member # 5670

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Missie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I sit here praying and wanting to get right w/ the Lord ... i am extremely overwhelmed. I have been reading posts and i'm not going to knock any of you .. you all sound like intelligent people .. but dropping verses left and right and talking like "proper pastors" .. i am totally lost on what your beliefs or conversations are even about. I'm not uneducated but isnt there a easier way to explain things to someone just learning ? I dunno .. maybe its just me [Frown]
Posts: 3 | From: Michigan | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement