Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » Entering a hindu temple

Author Topic: Entering a hindu temple
Rivkah .P. Chandran
Member # 4868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rivkah .P. Chandran   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Bros and Sisters in Christ,
Thank You for your reply. Aleast now I know which direction to take. Thank God for his mercies endures forever.May the Lord bless you all always.

Posts: 2 | From: Australia(Victoria) | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rivkah: Welcome to the Christian BBS. I agree with Peh that this is something that you are going to have to come to your own place with God about and I would say that you need to be in aggreement with each other on this issue no matter what.

Some things that come to my mind which you might want to ask youselves are these:

I may be able to enter a Hindu temple and it would have no meaning to me or symbolism.

But you yourselves having been Hindu will this be the case? How will this affect you?

I understand that entering the temple itself to the Hindu is to enter into and engage in the field of power or energy... a mandalam.

I understand that the very archetecture of the Hindu Temple is representative of man's progressive journey.

Are you able to enter the Hindu temple knowing the spiritual significance of it and the significance of its structure and the materials used to build it and remain un effected by your presence in it or in your presence in it?

Will you be able to participate in the viewing of this marriage ceremony without participating in prayers or convocations or other spiritual acts of song or dance or worship or honor to the god of the fire or to any other diety that is not the God of Abraham Issac and Jacob?

Will you be able to do this without feeling you are dishonoring God Almighty, as this would then be sin for you?

Will your presence there, because of your knowledge of the symbolism of the ceremony and the dieties present, be viewed in error by others as continued acceptance or honor of these dieties?

Is there a better way that you can show your Christian love to them without concerns that come if you should go?

I personally believe that Christ and the Power of the Holy Spirit does seal you and that if you remain in faith GOD will protect you no matter where you do journey.

But you each will have to answer questions regarding your own strength in the freedom of Christ to go into the presence of what is in reality spiriutal opposition to the GOD of Abraham and your God and not have it to be sin for you or dishonor of him in your mind.

If either of you are not strong enough, I would pray that the other would respect this, which means you are going to have to speak candidly and openly with each other and seek God prayfully for guidance.

Do not however, endeavor to make your husband see this your way.. or to show him where he is wrong and you are right. Share with him your fears or concerns, tell him what you think the two of you should do and leave it at that.

Pray that GOD will lead your husband in the way God wants him to go. Then pray that God will strengthen you to follow the lead of your husband. Then trust God to do his part as you do yours.

Should you not be able to come to consensus, and should you continue to feel that this is something that you should not do and your husband feels that you should, then ask God to guide Him and then you submit to your husband's authority as spiritual head of your home, and you trust that, because you have done exactly as you should.... prayed that God lead your husband, and submitted as you should to that leadership.... then you trust God and DO NOT DOUBT..... that he will lead your husband.

Know that he will because he answers your prayers, but he may do so in a way that you have seen or understood, or in the way that you think HE should or in a way that you expect HIS leading to look.

You do your part. Express your feelings. Pray. Follow your husbands leading, then you trust God to take care of HIS part and then, you can go in peace, complete rest, trust and faith in GOD to work out everything else.

I will pray for you, my sister in Christ, and I will pray that God lead your husband in the way that God desires him to lead your house.

God bless you and keep you and your house all of your days.

Love in Christ,
Linda

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Laurie. Your attendance could be a gift of Christian love to them. Pray about this very much before you decide.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaurieFL
Advanced Member
Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaurieFL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I feel that it would be Christian of you to attend a wedding there. I wouldn't go to a regular service, but a wedding has different connotations of family and such and could even be an opportunity to witness.

That is just my quick opinion though. Please pray about it carefully, both you and your husband.

Praise Yahweh for delivering you both from Hinduism! Hallelujah, God is good [Smile]

Posts: 700 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peh
Advanced Member
Member # 4446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Rivkah,

I'm not sure this is the entire answer, but 1 Cor 8:1-13 would make for a good place to, at least, start on your way to an answer for yourself and your husband. Prayful reading of the Scriptures mentioned here and found elsewhere in the Bible should lead to a clear understanding of what the Lord would have you do.

We know from Scripture that your conscience must be kept pure in this as in all other things else you will have sinned. And 1 Cor 10:14 says, "Wherefore, my dearly beloved, flee from idolatry." 2 Cor 6:16 is also stated strongly in that it says "And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people."

The verses in 1 Cor 8 point us to the conscience of your friends, though, in saying in verse 10 "For if any man see thee which hast knowledge sit at meat in the idol's temple, shall not the conscience of him which is weak be emboldened to eat those things which are offered to idols..."

Possibly you would not be eating anything in the temple, but the point is still that since your friends no doubt know you are Christian, will they be wounded "in their weak conscience", as is said in verse 11, if you agree to attend the ceremony in the temple?

--------------------
St. Peh
I don't know everything but I know the One Who does.

Posts: 255 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rivkah .P. Chandran
Member # 4868

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rivkah .P. Chandran   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like to know whether is is wrong or right for us Christians to enter a temple of the hindu's.
I feel that we should not but cannot give biblical references to my husband who beleives that we could if we want to show them our love and that we are not compromising. They come to our church and we should respect them when we are invited to their wedding in temples(We both were hindus before coming to christ)Kindly advised me. Thanks Rivkah

Posts: 2 | From: Australia(Victoria) | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement