Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » once saved always saved

Author Topic: once saved always saved
wparr
Advanced Member
Member # 891

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wparr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first thing that needs to be asked is

What does "saved" mean, or what is salvation ?

Romans 6:23
For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Paul tells us it is eternal life

But what doel eternal life REALLY mean besides forever?

Let's ask Jesus, I'm sure He has an explanation.

John 17:1-3
(1) Jesus spoke these things; and lifting up His eyes to heaven, He said, "Father, the hour has come; glorify Your Son, that the Son may glorify You,
(2) even as You gave Him authority over all flesh, that to all whom You have given Him, He may give eternal life.
(3) "This is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.

So basic being saved is getting ETERNAL life which means knowing the Father and Jesus.

So let's re-ask the question with that concept.

Do you believe that once you get eternal life life and know The Father and Jesus do you always have eternal life and know The Father and Jesus?

Wellll if you lost eternal life, was it eternal?

If you don't know The Father and Jesus anymore did you know them before?

Posts: 1203 | From: Eagle Nest, NM | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JAVA
Advanced Member
Member # 4576

Icon 15 posted      Profile for JAVA   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rom. 8
1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

(It does say "who walk not after the flesh but after the spirit")

6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

Shall we sin freely so that grace may abound? certainly not!!
Those of us who are truly dead to the flesh and alive in the spirit should attempt to be sin free but Christ took that sin to the Cross not for a minute but for eternity so that all who call upon his name shall be saved. [clap2]

[dance]

--------------------
JAVA, "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are called according to his purpose."

Posts: 147 | From: Columbia South Carolina | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo Grequi
Advanced Member
Member # 3984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eduardo Grequi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't Jesus Blood powerful enough to wash the sins of the past, present, and future away?

Doesn't anybody believe that Jesus is the author of ETERNAL SALVATION, and ETERNAL LIFE?

Do you continually nail Jesus to the cross making Him openly ashamed?

Didn't Jesus conquer death when he arose from the dead?

Posts: 771 | From: Belvidere, IL | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo Grequi
Advanced Member
Member # 3984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eduardo Grequi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[spiny] Hello kskibble- Welcome to the BBSchristian

The topic of ONCE SAVED ALWAYS SAVED, is a very unique subject!

The Lord has responded and said some very special phrases that at the surface seems to contradict one another, however when anyone truly studies the scriptures, one will have to agree that the only sin that will seperate someone from Jesus and heaven is THE SIN OF UNBELIEF OF WHOM JESUS IS (2 THESS 1:8,9 )! The bible answerman Hank Haangraf or something like this, said that people who profess Jesus as Lord and people who live for the Lord are in two groups.

1) One has a "SAID FAITH"

2) And another has a 'LIVING FAITH"

Most Americans declare they are christian but deny Jesus and the tenets of faith!

They say with their mouths, but their heart is not bowed before the Saviour and Holy Ghost, They profess and don't believe in the very deity of Christ.

Paul states in the book of Romans that true confession includes not only confessing with your mouth but also believing in your heart. THE TENET OF BELIEF IS THIS JESUS CHRIST IS TRULY LORD! HE CAME TO SAVE US , HE DIED AND RESURRECTED.

Those who have not only confessed Jesus,but also are baptized the way Jesus has been baptized.On that particualar day Jesus was baptize & the Spirit descended like a dove. baptism of water and baptism of Spirit. At that particular site the Triune God was present. THERE is not a believer in the New Testament when after they confessed Jesus as Lord,THAT they weren't immediately baptized except the thief on the cross. So I believe Jesus sets the standard because He is our Shephard.

The book of Romans also says there is nothing that will seperate us from the Lord and it goes on in depth list. BUT REMEMBER if we do not confess Jesus as Lord, then we were never truly saved. We had a said faith. You know go to church 4 times a year and try to be dutifull.

The book of 1 John declares that we can know that we have eternal life with Jesus!

You are ONCE SAVED AND ALWAYS SAVED, when you confess Jesus according to his standards. His standard is the Word of God and acccording to John 1:14- He is the word of God made flesh!

People who have "A LIVING FAITH" THEIR FAITH changes their old nature, old habits, or are willing to change and are in the process of changing to become CHRIST-LIKE. ANd definitely are project from the inside out- the similtude of Jesus character. (Fruits of The Spirit) THE BASIS FOR ALL THIS IS'''''THE WORD OF GOD, THE BIBLE''''' Do you believe in the written Testamonies of the Prophets, Apostles, and Jesus himself?

Only GOD truly knows the heart! But if your belief changes the old man in you than it is a sign of your pure repentence! There are times we go thru trials which puts us in a fire, but we come out more refined! JESUS' blood is eternal therefore his salvation is eternal!

Posts: 771 | From: Belvidere, IL | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kskibble
Advanced Member
Member # 4858

Icon 10 posted      Profile for kskibble   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thank you all so much for that!
Posts: 30 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I honestly don't know how I feel about this. I was raised in an Assembly of God Church where the same kids and young people got "Saved" every revival and at every youth camp. But, I have been Baptist for over 15 years. So, I am like in the middle on my thinking.
The first Baptist preacher I had believed in once saved always saved. He preached about a sin called "sin unto death". He believe that if a Christian became so sin-filled and refused to listen to God, that God would take him to Heaven rather than have him be a living embarrassment to God. He also preached that those who say that are saved and yet have been out of Church since childhood, may have not gotten saved. When young people go up for salvation, not everyone goes up gets saved. Not that God is not willing but some people go up because their friend when up.
I believe that we are secure in God's hand and that nothing can remove us from God's hand. Now whether we can remove ourselves from God's hand as an act of will, I don't know. But I do know the Bible says even the angels cannot steal our salvation. I guess this will be one of the discussions we will have in Heaven with Jesus.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LaurieFL:
My opinion (short answer) is that we are to work out our own salvation with fear and trembling, as advised in the Bible, and that with such a fearful, reverent attitude, we are unlikely to stray far enough to worry about our own salvation...as we will be sticking to the straight and narrow.

Amen - I personally believe that we can always receive forgiveness no matter how far we have strayed.

However, I believe that there is a danger of straying so far that we become so bitter and hardened, that we are incapable of asking for forgiveness. In this case a person has turned their back totally against God and are lost.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaurieFL
Advanced Member
Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaurieFL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is always a topic that starts a heated argument amongst the religious.

Some will say that if we get saved but backslide and become unrighteous or aren't "righteous enough" according to their definitions, then we will not go to heaven. Others say that if we backslide it is merely proof that we were never saved to begin with.

My opinion (short answer) is that we are to work out our own salvation with fear and trembling, as advised in the Bible, and that with such a fearful, reverent attitude, we are unlikely to stray far enough to worry about our own salvation...as we will be sticking to the straight and narrow.

Posts: 700 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kskibble
Advanced Member
Member # 4858

Icon 15 posted      Profile for kskibble   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello! i've been running across the question of once you're saved, are you always saved. i was taught that God doesn't give you salvation then turn around & revoke it the minute you sin. however, i am curious if there is any reason God would change his mind & take it away.
Posts: 30 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement