Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » Who's the Pharisee?

Author Topic: Who's the Pharisee?
peh
Advanced Member
Member # 4446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MySavingGrace, Crosswalk.com has a search engine of the Bible in several different translations. if you would like to have that avail online.

The "child of hell" saying is in Matt 23:15, but you should read the whole chapter which will show you the basis of WhiteEagle's post.

Also there is more on the Pharisee's and Jesus' view of their doctrine in Matt 16:1-12.

There is a good explanation of why He called them that in John 8, esp verses 12 and on.

--------------------
St. Peh
I don't know everything but I know the One Who does.

Posts: 255 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MySavingGrace
Advanced Member
Member # 4697

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MySavingGrace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what's a child of hell?

i didn't start this thread so it was someone else [Smile]

Basically, you mean those who takl the talk but don't walk the walk right?

Also, the Pharisees were more about revenue than actually following God. Sadly, there are people who are more into glorifying themselves while claiming its for God than actually praising god.

--------------------
http://crawfordpeace.nfshost.com/forum
Support the mother who lost her son protest the war
http://crawfordpeace.nfshost.com/

here are my comments, I am UHaventDoneNothin
http://crawfordpeace.nfshost.com/node/121

Posts: 426 | From: United States | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhiteEagle
Advanced Member
Member # 3728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhiteEagle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry it wasn't "my saving grace" who started the thread it was "Hisgrace".

[Confused]

Posts: 1392 | From: Maine | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhiteEagle
Advanced Member
Member # 3728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhiteEagle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"My Saving Grace" you recently started a topic on Pharisees.

After I read your initial post on that subject, I feel that many people don't really understand what Jesus was denouncing in the Pharisees.

He was denouncing their laws and legalism. The Pharisees never denied the Law or the Prophets, on the contrary they believed they KNEW it all and had God's plan for man all figured out.

They talked the talk and walked the walk according to Hebrew Law.

The Pharisee believed they knew God better than anyone and they were the ONES to lead people to God and teach them the correct way to find and worship God. They placed all sorts of legal, emotional and control tactic burdens on the people. The Pharisees kind of believed that God gave THEM control over people's lives and souls.

My Saving Grace: You have most likely already met many modern day Pharisees in the churches, or your relatives, or your own church.

These are the ones who talk God, and always deny that they might ever be wrong. They attempt to control people by guilt, duty, honor, the law, and punish people who don't align with their idea of righteousness with guilt trips, condemnation, and self-righteousness all under the guise of saying "It's God's will."

They strive to make people a "child of hell" just as they are. They do not know God or really want to. They just like all the rules and regulations and how it can make them powerful over others.

Posts: 1392 | From: Maine | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement