Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » Who are these rulers?

Author Topic: Who are these rulers?
LaurieFL
Advanced Member
Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaurieFL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aaron, I believe you are accurate in saying that God has indeed appointed some to be shepherds of His flock on earth and that they are to guide us and teach us and hold us accountable for growth in our walk with Christ.
Posts: 700 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aaron
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MySavingGrace:
there's a saying we are all saints if we follow Jesus and god I think.

And, we are to follow the ways of God not the ways of man is a good one.

Please help me out...What does this have to do with the scriptures I quoted and the issue of authority?

Thanks,
Aaron

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MySavingGrace
Advanced Member
Member # 4697

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MySavingGrace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there's a saying we are all saints if we follow Jesus and god I think.

And, we are to follow the ways of God not the ways of man is a good one.

--------------------
http://crawfordpeace.nfshost.com/forum
Support the mother who lost her son protest the war
http://crawfordpeace.nfshost.com/

here are my comments, I am UHaventDoneNothin
http://crawfordpeace.nfshost.com/node/121

Posts: 426 | From: United States | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aaron
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another attempt at saving the "baby" in the bathwater:

The issue of authority. Certainly we know of or have been hurt by someone who has abused their authority in the church. It could be said that entire sects of Christian-like religions have their roots in destructive authority practices. Such abusive traditions, always unjust, require a corrective, and truthful answer

The argument is: "We are all sheep and have need of only one Shepherd: Jesus Christ".

Sure, Jesus is "The Good Shepherd". In Him is the fullness of the God-head.

So, who are these rulers:

Hbr 13:7 Remember them which have the rule over you, who have spoken unto you the word of God: whose faith follow, considering the end of their conversation.

Hbr 13:17 Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.

1Ti 5:17 Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine.

Can we say that no one rules over another in the church?

Thoughts? Discussion?

Aaron

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement