Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » History of worship services

Author Topic: History of worship services
redkermit
Advanced Member
Member # 4059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for redkermit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LaurieFL:
It used to be customary to spend the entire Sunday in church, with a brief intermission for lunch. The intermission gradually became longer until many churches adopted the two short services we see now commonly. My church doesn't even do Sunday evening services.

Ahh, now that makes sense. I know a lot of churches have done away with the Sunday evening services. I have heard rumors in my own current church that the pastor would like to phase it out. To be honest, Sunday evenings are probably my favorite. It's usually when you get the "faithful few", and it's usually more intimate and allows more time for testimonies, and all the "pomp and circumstance" is gone from the "contemporary" service.

--------------------
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked. (Ps. 84:10b)

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

Listen Online:
www.wmuz.com
www.997flr.org

Posts: 604 | From: Michigan | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaurieFL
Advanced Member
Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaurieFL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It used to be customary to spend the entire Sunday in church, with a brief intermission for lunch. The intermission gradually became longer until many churches adopted the two short services we see now commonly. My church doesn't even do Sunday evening services.
Posts: 700 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redkermit
Advanced Member
Member # 4059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for redkermit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by peh:
Redkermit, I nominate you as the one who asks the best and most difficult questions.

I don't know about that... [Wink]

Lately, I've just been questioning some things that I've always taken for granted.

--------------------
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked. (Ps. 84:10b)

Listen Online:
www.wmuz.com
www.997flr.org

Posts: 604 | From: Michigan | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redkermit
Advanced Member
Member # 4059

quote:
Originally posted by TEXASGRANDMA:
At our Church we have two services for two reasons. One the Church is not big enough for one service and second, because we have a service with traditional music and one with modern praise and worship music.

That I understand, as my church does the same, but I was referring to the Sunday morning and Sunday evening services. I assume the Wednesday service was like a mid-week "refresher".

I've done some limited searching on the internet, but haven't found anything. Hoping someone can provide some insight...

--------------------

Listen Online:
www.wmuz.com
www.997flr.org

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At our Church we have two services for two reasons. One the Church is not big enough for one service and second, because we have a service with traditional music and one with modern praise and worship music.

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peh
Advanced Member
Member # 4446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Redkermit, I nominate you as the one who asks the best and most difficult questions.

Wish I could give you an answer, but for sure I'm gonna come back her to see what others have to say about your question.

--------------------
St. Peh
I don't know everything but I know the One Who does.

Posts: 255 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redkermit
Advanced Member
Member # 4059

Icon 17 posted      Profile for redkermit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know the history of how worship services became the way they are in many traditional churches? More specifically, why there are generally two services on Sunday.

--------------------

Listen Online:
www.wmuz.com
www.997flr.org

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement