Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » Witnessing at work

Author Topic: Witnessing at work
mohawk
Advanced Member
Member # 2898

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mohawk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a great topic. I agree firmly--there are times when actions speak louder than words, and it is often wise in this overly political age, in the workplace. When I do speak about the Lord at work to someone, I try to establish beforehand that it's okay with them. It's for courtesy sake. I am definitely not ashamed to witness--but I don't think risking the job he has blessed me with is in His plan. Unfortunately, that's the kind of work environments we have today.
Posts: 223 | From: california | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Linda is right. When I worked at the hospital, God often put me in a suitation where patients would ask me questions. You can be a wittness for God without preaching to people.

People know you are a Christian by your behavior, your lanugage, etc. Of course they can use it against you. Because people who are not Christians some how think that Christians should be perfect and when you make a mistake they sometimes will smart off at you. "I thought you were a Christian!" But, I just prayed about it and acted like they did not hurt me. And after I prayed God took the hurt away.
Betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen Laurie!!!! [clap2] [clap2] I love the scripture that says a man can be won without the word through the coversations of the wife.

That is a powerful thought- without the word! Can you imagine? I think what Laurie just said shows that. The word speaks from the life of a godly woman! Amen!

I told you all about a friend of mine who is an anthropologist; she did not believe in God. I met her when I went to work at the same non profit organization that she worked for. After we became friends, she and another mutal friend confided in me that when I came to interview, they knew that I was a Christian from something I must have said... praise God.... or something like that about what I dont remember. I had to go through a group interview with all the staff. They confided that they thought "Oh, No!" "a holy roller or something." And they had cast their votes against me. But God had given me favor in that interview and I won the job over someone that had a higher degree than I did and had experience with this organization in another state, which I had none. During my years there with them, I was able to witness; not so much with words as with how I dealt with situations and with people. I became the resident mediator with issues of rivalry in the volunteer leadership that ate at the work the organization was doing because I saw the enemy as the enemy and not the people that were battling each other. I could motivate people that had been problems in the past because I could see them as God saw them. These things were a witness to those who did not even believe that God IS. God is good! You can imagine my joy when one of them was having problems in a marriage and came to me to ask what my Bible said about these things;and you can imagine my joy when they both asked me to pray for them when a new executive director came that was bent on getting rid of all of us to bring her own camp in to the positions we all held.

God is good and light beams in the darkness no matter how dark the darkness.

So, here is to you LaurieFl... May you be a light in darkness in all you do! [clap2]

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaurieFL
Advanced Member
Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaurieFL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being a witness is not in my opinion constantly preaching to the masses, but is more how you live your life. I believe I am a strong witness for Christ at work, because without preaching at people, they know where I stand and you can see that they respect me and are also intrigued. I write Bible verses for myself to study throughout the day and keep them by my station. I pray for my cowrokers constantly and let them know that I pray for them, when the conversationn allows for it. Those of us who are believers there have discussions about our faith and support one another.

I pray every day that God will allow His light to shine through me at work, so people will see Him and not me.

I do not preach at work, but they all know I am different and that speaks volumes more than my feeble attempts at proseletyzing ever could do.

If you live and walk in the Spirit, He will put you in the right places and give you openings for the right conversation and He will even give you the words to say if words are even needed.

Just my experience. Yours may vary, of course [Smile]

Posts: 700 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redkermit
Advanced Member
Member # 4059

Icon 17 posted      Profile for redkermit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How far should one go in witnessing at work?

I am currently reading a book called "Christianity 9 to 5 (Living Your Faith at Work)". The book kind of walks the line between proactively being a witness, and passively being a witness.

Just wondering what the opinions are out there. Should we be risking our job by proactively witnessing to those we work with? Or, when on the job, should we just be living by example, and then witnessing when the door is opened by a co-worker?

--------------------
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked. (Ps. 84:10b)

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

Listen Online:
www.wmuz.com
www.997flr.org

Posts: 604 | From: Michigan | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement