Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » Which one is right?

Author Topic: Which one is right?
cheech
Advanced Member
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cheech     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
redkermit: I believe alot of people who suffer from mental disorders have an enormous amount of talent. They say even those with A.D.D. are extremely creative. My daughter was diagnosed with mild A.D.D. and when she would go off in her thoughts, the stories she would think up were amazing...very detailed. She is very talented in art, music and poetry. Her dad is good with art and one of his ggggrandfathers was a famous artist in Norway and supposedly has a painting in their museum. She sure doesn't get her artistic abilities from me...stick people...that's all I can draw [Wink]

peh: I dealt with my depression in the same way...sleep...I just wanted to sleep it all away. When dealing with depression, it's hard to say what will work as all people are different. I knew though that I wanted God to help me out of it. It took a heck of a lot of faith though. I also knew I didn't have it extreme enough where I had to rely on meds. Now if I feel myself slipping back, I open my bible and begin to fill my mind with God's word. Again...I want to say that is what people have to do, and it is...but alot depends how bad people have it. I think if it's bad a combination of God and meds can be good, BUT then another thought comes to mind:

"With God ALL things are possible. With man it is impossible."

I praise God for his help.

cheech

--------------------
My God Is My Faith

Posts: 35 | From: KS | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peh
Advanced Member
Member # 4446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope I do not end up wishing I hadn't decided to post to this subject. Maybe because so many years of my life were essentially ruined by depression, I feel I should, in the event my experience would be a help to anyone else. Yet it is with some trepidation because the affliction was so draining and wasteful, I wish to just forget it.

Let me say now that I am not a doctor, psychologist, nor a psychiatrist. Neither am I anything special, just someone who lived with depression and now am free of it.

Ok, got that out of my system, now on to the post:

The depression that ruled my thinking for years was propagated by early childhood-on oppression from some in my family, abuse of several kinds, and a certain taunting that started up in my mind, that told me I was never going to be like other people, free to work, play, love, worship and so on.

Ok, that is the scenario, one that is familiar to many who suffer depression.

The advice about doing for others and "getting out and about" that I received and see recommended both here and in the past didn't work for me. I didn't have the energy for either.

I wanted to sleep, or better yet, to be unaware of my life for a very long time in some way. I'm not sure I ever really wanted to die, but suicidal thoughts certainly were part of how my mind worked at the time.

I had meds treatment; hospitalization; one on one with a dear man who was a psychiatrist, but was human and loving first; "counseling", both Christian and non, in other words, pretty much the gamut of modern medicine's "help".

I believe there are some depressed folks who are in desparate need of meds. It is quite reasonable to suppose that like any other physical part of us, the brain might malfunction, hence reasonable to assume some would be helped by physical means.

I appreciate what the one sister said: that the physiological symptoms of depression are actually caused by and not the cause of the depression. That rang very true and validated my own impressions of cause and effect.

Yet it is taught in reverse in psychology (and I do have a degree in psychology, though have never used it, so I do know what is taught). That is why psychologists and psychiatrists use meds and other means of treating symptoms and missing the "disease" altogether.

As for whether we "should" consult a psychiatrist or psychologist, counselor, take meds, etc, it seems Rom 14 :22 says it best: "Do you have faith? Have it to yourself before God. Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves."

As for the cure, though, this much I've learned through much trial and error, and hardship and stumbles: Prov 3:5 "Trust in the Lord with all your heart...lean not on your own understanding;" and Rom 10:13 "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved."

How many times I have wished I'd understood back in the day the wisdom and love of God, of how true He is to His Word, that indeed if I will call on Him in any kind of affliction, I will be saved. That if I trust in Him, and lean on Him, not on my own thoughts, He will direct my paths.

Yet still He led me, slowly but surely, out of the morass of obsessive ruminating and misery in which I was ensnared.

Gradually, I learned that in order for His Word to be effective for me, I had to believe it, to exercise whatever amount of faith I could muster, and DECIDE to trust in Him.

I learned that I had to forgive those who'd transgressed against me, if ONLY so that I would be forgiven, and that forgiveness was a decision I could make, not a "feeling" I had to somehow acquire.

I learned that self-pity is, as some Christians had tried to tell me, of the devil and not to be tolerated in oneself. Mt 16:21-23 "From that time Jesus began to show to His disciples that He must go to Jerusalem, and suffer many things from the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised the third day.
Then Peter took Him aside and began to rebuke Him, saying, "Far be it from You, Lord; this shall not happen to You!" But He turned and said to Peter, "Get behind Me, Satan! You are an offense to Me, for you are not mindful of the things of God, but the things of men."

It has been many years now that I've been meds free, psychiatry free, and as happy as anyone else, in spite of the ups and downs of life.

It wasn't a cheap victory, it took His death and my yielding to Him by faith, but it was His strength and wisdom which led the way. "It is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure." (Phil 2:13)

--------------------
St. Peh
I don't know everything but I know the One Who does.

Posts: 255 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redkermit
Advanced Member
Member # 4059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for redkermit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cheech:
My husband's mother is a paranoid schizophrenic and is on meds. She is fine on meds but if she goes off, she starts hearing voices and doing things she shouldn't. She knows she has to continue taking meds and one time when she started to hear the voices again she brought it to the attention of her doctor. She is very smart and very talented with drawing and painting.

Interesting. I have an aunt who just began having serious mental problems of the same nature within the last couple of years. My uncle had to retire early to take care of her. But, what's interesting is that she also is very talented with drawing and painting.

--------------------
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked. (Ps. 84:10b)

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

Listen Online:
www.wmuz.com
www.997flr.org

Posts: 604 | From: Michigan | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheech
Advanced Member
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cheech     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bat Elohim...funny story! But it's so true...I think sometimes people are looking for more miraculous signs of help when God sends normal everyday help using others :)Hey...help is help!

redkermit...gooooooood question! I have suffered from depression and anxiety on and off for 10 years. It didn't hit until my mid 20's and only under deep stress. I was on medicine once, a couple years ago, and got off after 30 days on it. The doc only wanted me on it until I could deal with my stressful situation, so he knew I didn't need it permanently. That was my problem...I had to learn how to deal with stressful (really stressful) situations. I held alot of stuff in instead of confronting. In those 10 years, I learned how to forgive, how to confront situations head on and how to learn to rely on God and turn the hard problems over to him and do less worrying. I also learned a thing or two about pride.

As for your questions, I think it's sometimes a combination of both. I'm assisting in teaching a biblical recovery program at my church and it covers all types of recoveries including depression and anxiety. The main classes which everyone attends before going into their small groups teaches about how to rely on God more. It talks about facing your problems head on and how to turn things over to God. Now, the program also realizes some people need to be on the medication due to other problems like chemical imbalances. This program will do one of two things...show how to get through depression with God's help only or combined with medication deal with the depression and get through harder times. Like I said...it depends if you are on meds or not. We all want to be free of meds. Hope I eplained that good.

I've always had this question...In Jesus's time when he cast out the demons from people who acted "crazy" (for lack of a better word) were they suffering from mental disorders such as schizophrenia and such OR in our day as we call it schizophrenia could it actually be known as it was in Jesus's time and having demons inside them? My husband's mother is a paranoid schizophrenic and is on meds. She is fine on meds but if she goes off, she starts hearing voices and doing things she shouldn't. She knows she has to continue taking meds and one time when she started to hear the voices again she brought it to the attention of her doctor. She is very smart and very talented with drawing and painting.

cheech

--------------------
My God Is My Faith

Posts: 35 | From: KS | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like the rest of you, I suffer from depression. I have been on medication at times and was in the hospital once. I learned some coping skills in the hospital and the medication helped to some degree.

But, God has helped me the most. When I was young when I was upset or depressed I moved furniture around. My mom did this. Dad would come home and he did not know where his bedroom was sometimes. I did this myself for years but can't physically anymore. I found getting up staying busy helped me. But when I got sick, God provided a better solution. When I get depressed, I try to make myself do something for someone else. I would sit and write a letter to encourage someone else. When I began to focus on God and others my depression would lessen.
Friend 1 and 2, can both be right. Sometimes people need medical help. But we always need God's help
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a subject that is very dear to my heart because I suffered from depression for 8 years and nearly lost everything including my life to it; God delivered me, without my asking and in a moment when there was no earthly sense in being anything but suicidal and I was.

I will warn you that my views on this are anything but conventional, but I believe that they are scriptural.

I would say that both are right, and so neither is quite right.

I believe with all my heart that the physiological measurable symptoms of depression are the result and not the cause of depression.

I believe that this is a spiritual battle that presents itself with physical signs that are mesurable and can be affected with medication. But the depression remains and its effects are masked by drugs.

I believe that Depression is a form of spiritual oppression and the battle is one of powers and principalities and spirtual wickedness in high places; it is not our battle but we are drawn into it as partof the enemy's quest for territory. You must bind the strong man to spoil his house; Depression binds and the enmy definetly wants to spoil our house.

I believe that the LORD Jesus is our JOY and that HE is the ONLY cure for Depression.

I believe that God does use man to minister to man and that God has raised up some that do not have the world's view of depression that do have God's view of Depression and these can be much help in ministry to the depressed.

I believe that Modern Psychology is in complete opposition to God's word and its ways contrary to God's ways and that it can not only be ineffective in treating depression, but that it can cause strongholds that can aide the enemies side of the battle in this war.

I believe that drugs used to treat depression are part of the work of the enemy and that by their own admission, the medical community publishes that drugs to treat depression are unsuccessful at curing it.

I believe that spiritual battles are not fought with carnal weapons.

In summary, Depression is real and it is very serious; it is an all out war to destroy God's people on more than one front and in more than just the spiritual front. If you want to really render and army ineffective you have to attack the money that keeps it supplied for its missions. The economic impact of Depression is staggering.

Jesus alone has to cure for depression.

Jesus ministers in this earth to his church through his church and if you can find someone in the church that has a God's eye view of Depression, them there is much help that can me had by seeking out help.

One should not try to mix the world's solution to depression with God's solution to depression; Light and darkness do not mix on the batttlefield.

The most effectual thing that you can do for your friends is pray that God wills end ministers to them and that his spirit will open their eyes to the fact that this is a spiritual battle and they have if they are born again been given everything that they need to win the battle and the war. It is found in the scriptures which the Power of the Holy Spirit will teach them if they seek first the Kingdom of God.

I will pray for you that you be led in the way that God would have you go to help in this situation and I will pray for your friends.

God Bless & Keep you!

Love In Christ,
Linda

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bat Elohim
Advanced Member
Member # 3739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bat Elohim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's a personal decision. Which ever is right for you... just like denominations.

but like the lady in the flood... a boat came to rescue her and she said "No, God will provide". So the flood got higher and she was looking out the second floor window of her house and a boat came along and she said, "No, God will provide". Then the flood got higher and she was sitting on the roof. Again a boat came and she said "No, God will provide". Later she was in Heaven and she asked God why he didn't provide for her. God responded, "I sent 3 boats, what more do you want?".

God allows the human race to gain the knowledge to heal and save lives. I believe that we should allow God to work through these people.

If you suffer from depression, and I do, and it's not getting better no matter how much you read your bible, pray, worship, exercise, and help others, then maybe medical help is the answer.

For me, I took meds for several years. But they didn't work. So I started praying about it and changed my eating habits and tried to go out and do more with my life. I still have severe bouts that last for weeks on end, but overall I'm a much happier person, because I didn't just sit back and say "God will provide".

I hope this helps.

Blessings and Shalom,
Joanna.

--------------------
Numbers 6:24 May ADONAI bless you and keep you. 25 May ADONAI make his face shine on you and show you his favor. 26 May ADONAI lift up his face toward you and give you peace.

Posts: 704 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redkermit
Advanced Member
Member # 4059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for redkermit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know two people who suffer from depression. Both claim to be Christians.

Person #1 says, "I will not seek professional assistance, because God is all I need."

Person #2 says, "True, God is all I need, but God gives man the wisdom and resources to treat my depression."

So, who is right?

--------------------
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked. (Ps. 84:10b)

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

Listen Online:
www.wmuz.com
www.997flr.org

Posts: 604 | From: Michigan | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement