Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » Jesus' clothes

Author Topic: Jesus' clothes
yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yahsway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aaron you are to funny! [pound] [pound] [pound] [thumbsup2]
Posts: 1238 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lonlesol
Advanced Member
Member # 4511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lonlesol   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quote: That is a very good question.

Actually, this wasn't my question in the first place. A friend of mine asked that question on another board, I just copied and pasted it here, hoping to find an answer and then tell her about it...

Thank you all for responding... [Smile]

Posts: 478 | From: Quebec | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aaron
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lonlesol:
When Jesus was resurrected, He nicely folded His grave clothes and set them aside before emerging from the tomb. Here's my question.....where did He get the other clothes that He wore out of the tomb? Did the angels bring Him some clothes?

thank you for responding...

The text may imply the linen around his head was "wrapped properly according to His head"...not necessarily folded. Does this mean the cloth still held the shape of the head of Jesus? Perhaps. Certainly such a sight, a hollow wrapping holding the form of a head as if the head magically disappeared from inside the cloth, would have prompted John and Peter to believe Jesus had actually rose from the dead in a powerful way (vs. 8).

Even so, how difficult would it have been for Jesus to simply call clothes into existence?

Alas if I could only do the same for my family's laundry: "Be ye clean and folded and put away!" [spiny]

[Smile]

Aaron

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Jewish dead were wrapped in linens, and a cloth was placed over the face:

John 11:
44: And he that was dead came forth, bound hand and foot with graveclothes: and his face was bound about with a napkin. Jesus saith unto them, Loose him, and let him go.

John 19:
40: Then took they the body of Jesus, and wound it in linen clothes with the spices, as the manner of the Jews is to bury.

John 20:
6: Then cometh Simon Peter following him, and went into the sepulchre, and seeth the linen clothes lie,
7: And the napkin, that was about his head, not lying with the linen clothes, but wrapped together in a place by itself.

What clothes would Jesus have been clothed in?

Rev. 4:
4: And round about the throne were four and twenty seats: and upon the seats I saw four and twenty elders sitting, clothed in white raiment; and they had on their heads crowns of gold.

Rev. 6:
10: And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?
11: And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.

Rev. 19:
7: Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready.
8: And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints.

White robes of fine linen, clean and white, are given to the saints, and is described as their righteousness. Jesus would have been clothed in righteousness.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr Ron
Advanced Member
Member # 4498

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr Ron   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear lonlesol,

That is a very good question.

The white cloth that Joseph of Arithmea brought to wrap Jesus does not sound like the clothes Jesus was wearing later in the Sunday when he joined those 2 fellows who were walking down the road.

Nowhere in scripture that I am fimiliar with does it mention angels bringing clothes to Jesus.

We know that Jesus did not sin, so there is no way He would have taken them off of somebodies clothes line.

His body had not yet risen, so He did not come forth with them from heaven. I have a couple of ideas, but nothing to back them up.

This is a good question. I hope some of the scholars on this BBS can shed some light on this.

Ronnie G

Posts: 102 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wparr
Advanced Member
Member # 891

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wparr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Matthew 27:57-60 NASB
(57) When it was evening, there came a rich man from Arimathea, named Joseph, who himself had also become a disciple of Jesus.
(58) This man went to Pilate and asked for the body of Jesus. Then Pilate ordered it to be given to him.
(59) And Joseph took the body and wrapped it in a clean linen cloth,
(60) and laid it in his own new tomb, which he had hewn out in the rock; and he rolled a large stone against the entrance of the tomb and went away.

Posts: 1203 | From: Eagle Nest, NM | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lonlesol
Advanced Member
Member # 4511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lonlesol   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When Jesus was resurrected, He nicely folded His grave clothes and set them aside before emerging from the tomb. Here's my question.....where did He get the other clothes that He wore out of the tomb? Did the angels bring Him some clothes?

thank you for responding...

Posts: 478 | From: Quebec | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement