Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » Can Speculation be a Sin?

Author Topic: Can Speculation be a Sin?
HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Lord, save me from wrongful speculation and lead me into prayerful discernment. [Prayer]

Thank-you Jesus. [Cross]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

If we are fussing and wondering how problems are going to turn out in our lives, we can be rest assured that God has everything under control.

Ephes. 1:21,22 Now he is far above any ruler or authority or power or leader or anything else in this world, or in the world to come. And God has put all things under the authority of Christ.

helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that was spoken like a true scientist Laurie!! [hug] [wiggle7] Being the left-brained person that I am that never occured to me, but it gave me a great chuckle this morning. Just think where we would be without speculation! It was an excellent point.
Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

Good point Laurie. I was speaking more in the spiritual sense.
LaurieFL
Advanced Member
Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaurieFL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it should be clarified that it is speaking of our speculation regarding the intent and motives of others when we may be lacking pertinent facts. I don't think it is wrong to "speculate" in general, as the word applies to many types of thought processes as well as money-making plans.
Posts: 700 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought this was an excellent post particularly the list of things to help identify if one is seeking discernment or speculating. I thought this one should get bumped back up the list. Sooooo....BUMP! [type]
Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 11 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard it said that speculation can be a sin. We start out with nothing, and usually make full circle and end back at square one with nothing.

It is impossible to read beween the lines. Instead of letting the mental chatterbox take over and possibly listening to outside forces, we should turn it over to God. We should also turn to the scriptures and supplication through prayer, and he will eventually reveal the truth. Otherwise, we can sometimes go off on some emotional tangent.

Also, we all are at different stages in our faith walk, and just by talking with someone in forums, for example, we have no clue what is going on between them and the Lord, and what path he has chosen for them to follow. We mustn't jump to conclusions. As long as that person has peace, we can know that they are always striving to remain the centre of God's will.

Speculation can lead you into all kinds of wrong thinking and imaginings about others. Seeds of bitterness can be sewn, thus leading to vain babblings. When we get our eyes off of God, the ego takes over and we can get totally off of the mark.

2 Timothy 2:16
But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.

Now speculation is different than discernment.
Definitions:
Speculation- reasoning based on inconclusive evidence, conjecture of supposition.

Spiritual discernment is calling on the Holy Spirit to lead or give direction on a matter

quote:
These are the main things to look for in discernment -
-It is is governed by love, for if it is not, it's worthless (1 Cor 13:1-3);
-It centers us onto Jesus the Christ and Lord (1 Cor 12:3), and His good news;
-It directs us to Scripture, not away from it (Isaiah 8:19, 20);
-It helps create in us a love of righteousness, a heightened sense of sin, and a turning away from known evil.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement