Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » Anyone have any experiance with the Coptic Orthodox Church?

Author Topic: Anyone have any experiance with the Coptic Orthodox Church?
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, the split was actually 3 ways: Roman, Coptic, and Eastern Orthodox.
Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaurieFL
Advanced Member
Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaurieFL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For some reason I want to think they are sort of an offshoot of the Roman Catholic chruch, sort of like Greek or Russian Orthodox, but am not certain.

Edit: Ooo, now I remember. They are actaully the Egyptian Christian Chruch and they stand against the Islamic religion that so rules their country. They are very old-fashioned in their practices and can trace their origins back to the Apostle Mark who brought Christianity to Egypt.

Posts: 700 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rich H
Advanced Member
Member # 4313

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rich H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forgot to add this link for information
in case anybody wanted to look.

http://www.stminastabanoub.org/history.html

Posts: 30 | From: Metro Detroit | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rich H
Advanced Member
Member # 4313

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rich H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya...

I heard a radio program by a local Coptic
church and I was very impressed.
From what I can tell they stick exclusively to
scripture. I really loved the hymns... because
what they were doing was singing Bible verses..
such as the Lords Prayer.

I intend to visit this place... its 25 miles
from me, but I think it will be worth it.
At the very least I want information on the
CD's they where playing. I think it may have
been in house recorded.

I have never heard of this group before.. so I am entering with caution. One thing that worries
me is that they are very organized and even have their own Pope.

On the other hand this seems to be a deeply
spiritual bunch of people.

Peace
Rich

Posts: 30 | From: Metro Detroit | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement