Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » Is Gambling a Sin?

Author Topic: Is Gambling a Sin?
Trenton D. Adams
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by volodymyrdolgoruki:
Paul tells us that anything that is NOT OF FAITH is SIN

Are you gambling IN FAITH???

I don't think so.

Taking scriptures by themselves doesn't do us any good. We must line up with the whole counsel of God. When he says "in faith" it matches up with "Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin". In other words, if we don't have faith that it's not sin, then we shouldn't be doing it.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gramajo320
unregistered

Volodymyrdolgoruki,

We all do read the bible carefully!

Au Revoir!

In Christ's love,
Gramajo320

volodymyrdolgoruki
Advanced Member
Member # 4400

Icon 1 posted      Profile for volodymyrdolgoruki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YOU ALL NEED TO REREAD THE BIBLE

CAREFULLY

--------------------
Don't wish for a better day
Be glad and use the one you're in
Fear God and do exactly what He says
That's what matters
All else fades like the flowers

Posts: 73 | From: God's Kingdom | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gramajo320
unregistered

Volodymyrdolgoruki,

You need to re-read Trenton's posting carefully and to think about it!

In Christ's love,
Gramajo320

volodymyrdolgoruki
Advanced Member
Member # 4400

Icon 1 posted      Profile for volodymyrdolgoruki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paul tells us that anything that is NOT OF FAITH is SIN

Are you gambling IN FAITH???

I don't think so.

--------------------
That's what matters

Posts: 73 | From: God's Kingdom | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gramajo320
unregistered

Trenton D. Adams,

I say amen to your posting and God bless you!
The very things you posted regarding anything can be a sin were a lot of the same things I thought about this morning. Also any money won can be tithed to the Lord for the Lord's work.

In Christ's love,
Gramajo320

Trenton D. Adams
unregistered

And no, gambling is not a sin. It's not exactly the best thing to do with your money, but it's certainly not a sin.

I've gambled once. I thought it was quite fun. Didn't care if I won or lost.

What christians ought to be doing is helping those who have a problem.

You know, drinking coffee can be a sin too. Those who have a problem with this need help.

You know, eating can be a sin too. Those have a problem with this need help.

You know, sex within marriage can be a sin too. Those who have a problem with this need help.

You know, watching TV can be a sin too. Those who have a problem with this need help.

You know, working too much can be a sin too. Those who have a prroblem with this need help.

etc, etc, etc.

I could go on and on and on. Suffice it to say, I'm not a gambler. But, I'm also not hypocritical. [Smile] And no, I'm not saying anyone that thinks that gambling is a sin is a hypocrite. But, they should certainly examine their own heart. It's that which comes from within man that defiles the man, not that which goes in. So, pretty much anything you do, that's not even a sin, can be a sin.

There's tonnes of scriptures on this. I'll only quote a couple.

quote:

And that because of false brethren unawares brought in, who came in privily to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, that they might bring us into bondage:

quote:

Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.

This shows that we shouldn't be in bondage to anything. Whether it be sin or not. There's many other scriptures that can be tied to this one.

quote:

9But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak. 10For if any man see thee which hast knowledge sit at meat in the idol’s temple, shall not the conscience of him which is weak be emboldened to eat those things which are offered to idols; 11And through thy knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died? 12But when ye sin so against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, ye sin against Christ. 13Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend.

So, we should not encourage people to gamble. But we shouldn't worry about it if they do. We certainly don't want to encourage someone that's had a problem with it in the past to start doing it again, just because it's not a sin. That would be causing our brother to sin. But gambling in itself is not a sin. What is a sin to one person, may not be a sin to another. Except for the clear cut sins that are laid out in the law. The next scripture shows this.

quote:

15For that ye ought to say, If the Lord will, we shall live, and do this, or that. 16But now ye rejoice in your boastings: all such rejoicing is evil. 17Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.

I'm sure I'll get a backlash from this. But, I'm free, are you?
Trenton D. Adams
unregistered

What did I tell you Born Again? I'm a prophet, no? LOL.
volodymyrdolgoruki
Advanced Member
Member # 4400

IF we are of God, then all we have really belongs to God.

We are but STEWARDS.

It is detestable to be using God's money for something corruptable.

--------------------
That's what matters

HisGrace
unregistered

Gambling is a very serious addiction problem in North America, and Christians may cause a brother to fall if we condone gambling.

We have to ask ourselves is gambling coveting?

Hebrews 13:5 Stay away from the love of money; be satisfied with what you have.

I Tim. 6:9-10 But people who long to be rich fall into temptation and are trapped by many foolish and harmful desires that plunge them into ruin and destruction.. For the love of money is at the root of all kinds of evil. And some people, craving money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many sorrows.

Prov.28:20 The trustworthy will get a rich reward. But the person who wants to get rich quick will only get into trouble.

If we partake in gambling we are encouraging the gambling industry to make huge profits off of people's losses. Some of these people have lost absolutely everything because of gambling.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement